### NY Jets vs Indianaoplis Colts --- MNF Game Thread ###

Maxman

not trying to be funny here, but whats the benefit of not kicking the fg there? I don't get it

A missed FG (no time running off the clock plus decent field position) was Indy's best chance of winning.

In practical terms, their chances of that were pretty slim anyway, but we've seen crazy endings to games where a beaten team gets 2 quick scores and end up the winner. 

It wasn't a major complaint of mine. I get that it made it a 2-TD game instead of a TD+FG game. I just wouldn't want them getting the ball back on their own 40.

now you're getting greedy.

when the schedule came out you had this as a loss, we win and now we want more than 20-7, lol

Unless you're speaking in generalities, I never said this game would be a loss. Not once.

But I admit I am greedy. I'm soooo hungry for more. I want us to eat other teams like Crusher eats donuts.

This.

Scary in a SOJF way for a moment at the end, but really, we dominated tonight.

Only minor quibble was hor beat up the Colts were, but such is life.  Still have to win.

And we did.

2-0 feels rather nice.

only minor quibble is where was the running game?    other than that this team looks ******* awesome.   

Unless you're speaking in generalities, I never said this game would be a loss. Not once.

But I admit I am greedy. I'm soooo hungry for more. I want us to eat other teams like Crusher eats donuts.

we're all being greedy.  Most thought this was a loss in July though, should have.  If you didnt put his down as a loss then you pretty much had the Jets going 16-0 this year.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

A missed FG (no time running off the clock plus decent field position) was Indy's best chance of winning.

In practical terms, their chances of that were pretty slim anyway, but we've seen crazy endings to games where a beaten team gets 2 quick scores and end up the winner. 

I like the FG call there.   shows confidence in the kicking game and very bowles like doesn't panic in the 4th quarter....a kick is a kick regardless of situation.   

• Upvote 1

we're all being greedy.  Most thought this was a loss in July though, should have.  If you didnt put his down as a loss then you pretty much had the Jets going 16-0 this year.  

I'm waayyyyy to optimistic early on, and that can all crash down with a single butt-fumble... and then skyrocket back up with a Marshall "I'm-going-to-drag-these-defenders-to-their-death" touchdown. I swear I'm bipolar or some sh*t.

• Upvote 2

There were a couple of quibbles but they got hidden by shutting Indy out for most of the game. And I'm too happy to get invested in complaining about the game. 

Not only wasn't the running game not working, but we kept force-feeding it (and how often getting stuffed on 1st and 2nd down, or 1st down incomplete then 2nd down up the gut for nothing?). Probably twice if one looked it up, lol, but it seemed like more.

Also too many unsuccessful and unnecessary deep attempts (1 resulting in a pick) when quick outs and slants were working so effectively.

And five personal foul penalties in 1 game? 

But it's hard to be anything other than pumped after whooping Indy on their own turf on MNF. You know when the schedule was made this was intended to be a high-viewer showcase of Andrew Luck whooping someone on national TV. Oopsies!

Definitely have things to work on. But they won't apologize for a win on the road.

Let's get to 3 and 0! Next weeks matchup should be much better for the Jets.

I like the FG call there.   shows confidence in the kicking game and very bowles like doesn't panic in the 4th quarter....a kick is a kick regardless of situation.   

I don't get why anyone would think we wouldn't kick a FG there.  The game was over, a punt to pick up 15-20 yards is too conservative, especially on a night when we held the Colts to basically 2 drives and only one score

There were a couple of quibbles but they got hidden by shutting Indy out for most of the game. And I'm too happy to get invested in complaining about the game. 

Not only wasn't the running game not working, but we kept force-feeding it (and how often getting stuffed on 1st and 2nd down, or 1st down incomplete then 2nd down up the gut for nothing?). Probably twice if one looked it up, lol, but it seemed like more.

Also too many unsuccessful and unnecessary deep attempts (1 resulting in a pick) when quick outs and slants were working so effectively.

But it's hard to be anything other than pumped after whooping Indy on their own turf on MNF. You know when the schedule was made this was intended to be a high-viewer showcase of Andrew Luck whooping someone on national TV. Oopsies!

think the running game was better than we think.  They ran for over 100, ivory was at around 4.5 per.  And the Colts were selling out playing the run. 

We spent the bulk of the 2nd half not showing confidence in our offense by force-feeding an ineffective ground game. It looked like we were trying to run out the clock with a 10  point lead starting in the early 3rd quarter, so I'm not too concerned with the message one Nick Folk is or isn't getting. One of the complaints of the prior regime is trying to be likable or popular with players instead of smart. Folk's a big boy. He'd just missed a FG, the game was not on the line, and making the kick doesn't force a 3rd score (which would make it officially impossible). It was an unnecessary risk. A small risk, sure, but a risk nonetheless. 

I'd rather have punted it OOB or punt it out of the endzone and make them start on their 20. No risk of good field position after a missed FG and no risk of a lucky return or good field position on an ensuing kickoff.

As it turned out it didn't matter, and that's all that matters. 

think the running game was better than we think.  They ran for over 100, ivory was at around 4.5 per.  And the Colts were selling out playing the run. 

That's how they ended up. But for most of the game it was crap. He had one 12 yard run or something and his other dozen carries had like a combined 15-20 yards.

You can look it up if you feel like, as my exact #s are probably off a little. But I'm not off by much. It wasn't working, and in contrast the short passing game was working with what seemed like 90% success. 

i thought you were too happy to complain lol

That's how they ended up. But for most of the game it was crap. He had one 12 yard run or something and his other dozen carries had like a combined 15-20 yards.

You can look it up if you feel like, as my exact #s are probably off a little. But I'm not off by much. It wasn't working, and in contrast the short passing game was working with what seemed like 90% success. 

Works out that way sometimes.  But the Colts were stacking the box all night and the Jets picked them apart.  For all the worries we still wound up with decent numbers.  If not for a pick and missed FG the game could have been a bigger win.  Doesn't make a difference, if teams continue to stack the box, Fitz throws for 250 and we run for 100+ with this D, we're going to be really hard to beat.  

• Upvote 1

regardless of how ineffective the run game was, we stuck to it and didn't abandon it, so the colts or any team for that matter will still have to respect and plan for it, plus the colts sold out, all in to stop our run game and force Fitz to pass to win, which we did in a controlled manner. I like what I see so far out of this team that Mac'n Bowles have assembled. 

I don't want to be negative after a great road win but I did not like Gailey's performance at all tonight.  He basically had a JV secondary out there that seemed like they were willing to give us short to medium routes in the middle of the field and he rarely seemed to want to exploit that opting instead to call deeper routes that were constantly double teamed.  I believe Brady and Belicheck would have thrown 30 consecutive balls to Edelman and Amendola on short crosses until the Colts could prove they could stop them.