Cutting the cord....

Klecko73isGod

Honestly, with no parenting experience whatsoever, I think the proper time to cut the cord is when your kid is 24.  2 years out of school and you're done.  This isn't 2008 anymore, the economy is doing a little better.

You're welcome.

I concur.

Although my daughter was 5 years removed from a mutual agreement should would not return to school, but 24 is a good number.

I got rid of directv, and bought two digital antennae. One was $70, and was for a 60 mile radius.  The other was $25, and works just as well. 

Couldn't tell you the brands. Actually, I don't want to get off the couch and look. 

If you're only 5-6 miles from the local stations....

I grew up in Queens, about 5 miles from the Empire State building which broadcast for the NY area, and we had no trouble with the rabbit ears.  Except for channel 9 and 11, where we kept getting multiple images because the signal kept bouncing off the Triborough Bridge.  The Mets and Yankees looked like they had nine outfielders.   This was the 1960s.  No longer a problem with modern "anti-aliasing" TV circuitry.

Granted that the signal was analog and not digital, and granted the frequencies were lower, it is hard to imagine you not getting a good signal from a modern indoor antenna at that range.  You might want to try bringing a few antennas home before you cut the cable just to see how you like them.  I can also ask on an electronics message board I'm a member of if you like.

If you're only 5-6 miles from the local stations....

I grew up in Queens, about 5 miles from the Empire State building which broadcast for the NY area, and we had no trouble with the rabbit ears.  Except for channel 9 and 11, where we kept getting multiple images because the signal kept bouncing off the Triborough Bridge.  The Mets and Yankees looked like they had nine outfielders.   This was the 1960s.  No longer a problem with modern "anti-aliasing" TV circuitry.

Granted that the signal was analog and not digital, and granted the frequencies were lower, it is hard to imagine you not getting a good signal from a modern indoor antenna at that range.  You might want to try bringing a few antennas home before you cut the cable just to see how you like them.  I can also ask on an electronics message board I'm a member of if you like.

Thanks man. 

Seriously guys, was it that difficult to give me a straight answer?

• 3 weeks later...

Probably too late to help, but I put this little gem on my roof and wonderful things happened.   For the money I don't think I could get better.  Just get it as high as you can, pointed generally in the direction of most tv stations' antennas.  There are websites where you can get them mapped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIT002?keywords=eagle aspen uhf&qid=1444598839&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

...The box was missing an accessory bag with some spacers, but I called and they sent a bag free. I didn't mind the issue because the antenna works so well.  

We use the antenna, Hulu, & Amazon Prime.  For cable series I enjoy, like AMC shows, I buy the season on Amazon.  We can also buy HBO now, which is cool.

Sports is tough.  For me, it's either local, or I get more work done in the yard.  That's not so bad.

Have you taken care of this yet? I don't have cable, think it's the biggest ripoff in the world and just watch local broadcasts and Sunday night football, and TNF when it's on CBS. If I'm desperate for an out of market game I'll stream it on the computer. I just have some regular antennae don't know what it is, it's by the window and works fine, you do have to move it around sometimes for the weaker channels. One ear even broke recently and is still working semi-decently. I am not surrounded by tall buildings, I think that might make a difference.

Have you taken care of this yet? I don't have cable, think it's the biggest ripoff in the world and just watch local broadcasts and Sunday night football, and TNF when it's on CBS. If I'm desperate for an out of market game I'll stream it on the computer. I just have some regular antennae don't know what it is, it's by the window and works fine, you do have to move it around sometimes for the weaker channels. One ear even broke recently and is still working semi-decently. I am not surrounded by tall buildings, I think that might make a difference.

I called Comcast to cancel and they gave me the triple play with the super fast internet and HD for 99 bucks a month for two years. I didn't cut the cord but I accomplished what I set to accomplish - I am saving about 100 bucks a month and I don't need to change my viewing habits. 

I called Comcast to cancel and they gave me the triple play with the super fast internet and HD for 99 bucks a month for two years. I didn't cut the cord but I accomplished what I set to accomplish - I am saving about 100 bucks a month and I don't need to change my viewing habits. 

They did that for me and three times during the two years they jacked my price and I had to fight with them.  Part of that was that they had a monopoly on the building I was in.  I moved and told them I moved the Brooklyn just so they would stop busting my balls.  My parents already got spam from optimum saying it was from Comcast.  They still owe me $40, we will see if they send it.  They sent me a bill indicating $-40.53.  No check though.  ****ers. 

Seems to work every time! 

Probably too late to help, but I put this little gem on my roof and wonderful things happened.   For the money I don't think I could get better.  Just get it as high as you can, pointed generally in the direction of most tv stations' antennas.  There are websites where you can get them mapped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIT002?keywords=eagle aspen uhf&qid=1444598839&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

...The box was missing an accessory bag with some spacers, but I called and they sent a bag free. I didn't mind the issue because the antenna works so well.  

We use the antenna, Hulu, & Amazon Prime.  For cable series I enjoy, like AMC shows, I buy the season on Amazon.  We can also buy HBO now, which is cool.

Sports is tough.  For me, it's either local, or I get more work done in the yard.  That's not so bad.

how far outside the city are you?

hehe I'm in michigan, 5 miles south of lansing.

all my towers are clustered about 6-12 miles without many obstructions.

I tried to get an antenna for my house, but I'm 50 miles outside the closest towers and in the hills. We could get some things, but not all. 

Archived