IND Observations

KRL

Thoughts

- Yesterday was why you don't judge games by matching QB's against one another.
Luck is better than Fitzpatrick (DUH), BUT they never play one another.  We had
distinct advantages outside of the QB position and we took advantage of them

- You saw a glimpse of what Bowles did in ARZ the last two years, it was an
absolute defensive clinic.  Think about it, we didn't get one recorded sack but
we had pressure all game.  You never heard the names of IND TE's (Fleener &
Allen) all night, when was the last time that ever happened (never)

- Excellent defensive adjustments on two fronts.  First we didn't stay with our
base 3-4.  We reduced the reps of Harrison and went to 4 man fronts by moving
Wilkerson & Williams to DT and rotating Douzable, Pace, Reilly & Coples at DE.
That gave us incredible athletic pressure up the middle in Luck's face.  Second
after getting gashed in the run game early we stopped that with late line shifting
before the snap which seemed to confuse IND offense

Bad

- OLine run blocking was below par.  Credit to IND for shutting us down, Henry
Anderson (DE) was particularly effective

- Our offense stalled too many times on the edge of scoring territory.  With five
turnovers they should've generated more than 20 points

- Fitzpatrick forced a couple of passes to Marshall (particularly the INT) while
Decker was "eating"

- Folk missed FG

- Quigley with his usual "shank".  On top of that his average was poor, he was
punting in perfect conditions (dome) you've got to be better than that

- Credit to Cro for playing but he had some shaky moments in coverage on Moncrief

Good

- Turnovers, TEN in two games!!!  Unbelievable

- Penalties, we had eight but two of them were committed when the game was
decided

- OLine pass protection was excellent.  Considering we were in spread for most of
the night and didn't run particularly well Fitzpatrick stayed clean

- Marshall was a beast.  What a pleasure to have a #1 WR that can take on and beat
any coverage

- Decker was also a beast, he's got to love playing with Marshall.  Because he now
gets to go against #2 & #3 CB's and they just can't check him.  Hopefully there's
nothing serious with his knee

- Other than some forced passes as mentioned earlier, Fitzpatrick is doing exactly
what we need. Efficient with a high completion %

- Great response by the offense after IND scored to make it 10-7.  They went right
down the field in a "got to have it" drive to score a TD and finish the game

- Wilkerson & Williams abused the interior of IND OLine all game

- Davis had a very good game particularly the way he timed his blitzes

- Pryor & Gilchrist had excellent games.  When was the last time both of our safeties
had INT's in the same game?

- Revis was solid and had three turnovers but Skrine had the best overall game.  He
blitzed (causing the first INT), covered and supported the run.  For those who didn't
know his game you got a glimpse of his talents last night

the defense can be outright scary in the 2nd half of the season when sheldon, mauldin and even milliner return.  sick depth.

they should use powell more as a wr, he can catch and jets O is tougher to predict

small sample, but very telling that jets D under bowles has 10 turnovers in 2 games already (jets had trouble with rex), while rex's buffalo D gave up most passing yards ever for franchise in only his 2nd game as HC.

I don't have much to complain about yesterday in regards to coaching, but man I felt we were too conservative. Before the half we had enough time to put it in the end zone but we decided to settle for a field goal at less than comfortable distance and we missed. If we lost people would be hammering Bowles for this. 

Bowles is 0-2 on challenges thus far but I won't knock the challenge last night, it acted as a TO to basically give the defense a breather and allowed them to regroup. 

Some of Chan's play calling was also suspect to me. There were times in the second half where we would predictably do run run pass punt. With Vontae out of the game I would have seriously considered passing three times in a row when we were around mid field or in Colts territory. The Colts were holding so much that there was a high probability of them getting penalized if we kept passing.

We won...but for 5 TO's, we should have scored a "little" more.

Something to work on.

IMO, Geno loses last night.  

IMO, Fitz looked off with his throws early, and that may very well be why we didn't put our foots on the gas on offense. A poorly timed INT would have swung momentum away from us, and probably changed the outcome. Sucks too, because with that many extra possessions and our WRs getting open, you'd hope for more.... but there were a lot of drops and a lot of over-throws. 

My opinion: we won in convincing fashion. Patriot fans complain about not winning by enough, so I don't want to hear that from our fanbase.

The Colts seemed geared up to stop the run   I thought we would still pound it, but with no corners that wasn't the way to go.  The game was called pretty tight and that cost Vontae Davis because he plays tight and tends to tug.  All of them do, but now we have name WR's that will get that call.  Fitzpatrick really seems to rely on Marshall.  When in doubt he just tosses it at Marshall.  I guess that philosophy earned Cutler a ton of money.

They obviously felt they could score at will.  Decker had a great game and still left some plays on the field.  Enunwa looked like he missed a couple of balls he could have had as well.  Not "drops," but if he were Stephen Hill that is what the board calls them.   I was a bit nervous that they took their foot off the pedal and then the Colts put up the TD, but they walked right down and I guess after watching the Church Lady and Frankenstein sh*t the bed two weeks in a row that it made sense to kill some clock.  

I don't get the constant Quigley hate.  His "shank" came when he had to rush because there was pressure.  It went like 34 yards and went out of bounds.  There were zero returns and 3 were inside the 11.  Of course his average was low, if he teed off they would have all gone out of the the end zone.  

Some questionable offensive play calling but I like the offensive strategy keeping the ball out of Lucks hand. Yeah we didnt score a lot of points but we held Andrew Luck to 7 points in on MNF for the Colts home opener. I'll take that all day. Now we just gotta keep it going definite trap game this week against philly

A couple of other things:

- Love the way Gailey is highlighting his best offensive players (Marshall, Decker
& Ivory) and making sure they get plenty of touches.  Forget that "spread the ball
around" stuff use your mismatches

- Love how Bowles and the whole team was very business-like and matter of fact with
their reactions after the game.  No proclamations or warnings to the NFL to "watch
out for the Jets".  Just answered questions and prepared to move onto PHI

- Love the way Gailey is highlighting his best offensive players (Marshall, Decker
& Ivory) and making sure they get plenty of touches.  Forget that "spread the ball

+1.  Just like an offensive lineman, I was thrilled to never hear Cumberland's name mentioned the whole game.  

TBH, I don't think there was a single target of a TE the whole game...

Solid observations.  The rotation of the 4 man front was so crucial.  And we should have had a sack.  That call on Q was bull sh*t.  Q, Wilk, Douz, Williams - all were creating havoc.  It's not showing in the stat column but they were monsters.  Harris and Davis played great.  Secondary was lights out.

I disliked the offensive play calling and thought in general, they wasted too many golden opportunities.  5 turnovers and only 20 pts, that has to change.  Not sure why they didnt just go straight spread style, put all your pass catchers in the game and dink and dunk to a victory but it was a victory nonetheless, so I'm not complaining.  Loved the drive to answer the Colts TD.  I was posting in the game thread, this is a must have, and they did it.  So unJets like it was awesome.

I love Todd Bowles.  I love him demeanor.  The snarl on the sidelines.  His business like approach.  And I'm almost 100% positive he'd kick any other HC's ass in the NFL.  The dude just looks mean and tough and someone I wouldnt want to **** with.

Our running offense was surprisingly poor and our run defense early and me nervous as well.  Indy was very smart as early on and in a lot of the game they had safety help most of the game on marshall.

Excellent all around game but we also benefited from some real luck.  The biggest play of the game was Gore fumbling for no reason as he was going in to the endzone untouched. 

We won...but for 5 TO's, we should have scored a "little" more.

I keep hearing this mantra and I don't entirely disagree but this is why stats can be misleading. 

Prior INT - turned into a TD

Revis 1st FR - turned into missed field goal

Revis 2nd FR - started with the ball at our own 10 after the touchback and penalty

Revis INT - on our own 30

Gilchrist INT - iced the game

The two turnovers in their end led to a TD and field goal opportunity.  The others had us with the ball in our own end up 10 points.  Was the play calling a bit too conservative with the lead, sure, but the stats of 7 points off 5 turnovers is really oversimplifying it.

I found that unsportsmanlike penalty call after the fumble at the goal horrible.  I am sure it was Davis taking his helmet off.  WTF.  That could have been costly.  They dodged a bullet both with the fumble recovery and it being ruled a touchback and then still ended up fighting from the 10. 

I hate Gruden.  I can't believe people ever took him seriously.  Thankfully our team is stacked with studs like Demario Williams, Kelvin Davis and Bobby Carpenter.

I found that unsportsmanlike penalty call after the fumble at the goal horrible.  I am sure it was Davis taking his helmet off.  WTF.  That could have been costly.  They dodged a bullet both with the fumble recovery and it being ruled a touchback and then still ended up fighting from the 10. 

The penalty on that was a player pulling a Colt off the pile. It's a new rule this year that you can't pull an opposing player off of the pile on fumble situations. I think it's a stupid rule, what are you supposed to do if you see an opponent gouging your teammate's eyes out in the pile? 

The penalty on that was a player pulling a Colt off the pile. It's a new rule this year that you can't pull an opposing player off of the pile on fumble situations. I think it's a stupid rule, what are you supposed to do if you see an opponent gouging your teammate's eyes out in the pile? 

Then I think they missed one because I'm pretty sure that somebody took their helmet off and was stomping up towards mid-field.  There were a few unsportsmanlike calls and they were not all during the play jobs like Coples'. 

defensively, nothing but aces across the board. Loved the way they got Coples involved in rotation on the line...

Offensively, the Fitz that implodes reared his head for 2 Quarters (2,3)... locked on to marshall, didn't trust his reads, sloppy, under thrown deep balls. 5 turnovers? It should have be 20-0 by the half. People forget, that was the 4th and 5th stringers at CB... Fitz has to clean that up or I'm looking at Geno. 

I definitely understand the people saying we should have scored more with 5 TO's but I think the game plan was pretty clear, they were going conservative with 1 or 2 shots down the field. When they really needed it though, after that Indy TD,  they turned it on right away and got a TD. Was really impressed by that. 

defensively, nothing but aces across the board. Loved the way they got Coples involved in rotation on the line...

Offensively, the Fitz that implodes reared his head for 2 Quarters (2,3)... locked on to marshall, didn't trust his reads, sloppy, under thrown deep balls. 5 turnovers? It should have be 20-0 by the half. People forget, that was the 4th and 5th stringers at CB... Fitz has to clean that up or I'm looking at Geno. 

That's awfully harsh of FITZ.  LAST NIGH FITZ WAS AN ASSET ON THIS TEAM.

The guy cant be perfect.

Good

The secondary; hell the whole damn defense.  They played scary good.  As some other posters have pointed out, this is the defense we were promised during the Ryan era, but never got.  If we had this defense, we beat the Colts in the AFC championship game.  The great thing is that that based on yardage, etc. we are not that good, but damn, 10 turnovers and only 17 points - that is a defense that can win championships.  The seemed gassed at the end of the game and still came up big with an INT.  They are dominant.

Marshall - This guy is amazing.  Strong, tall, savvy, though.  I was worried about his behavior when we traded for him, but his leadership is amazing.  We need to draft his replacement soon, just so he can learn from this guy.  I loved his interview.  The offense stunk it up (it wasn't him - see below).  "I am the most hollywood guy here" - he didn't act so hollywood to me.  He didn't boast how he played above Davis, but he did say shame on the media for comparing him to Revis.

Defensive adjustments and game plan.  For a second week in a row, they came prepared and ready to play.  For the second week in a row, they adjusted when they needed to.  Smart.

Going back to Bilal after the fumble.

Bad (too much like Ryan on all three).

I know it was a big game; but some of the penalties were just stupid.  Not worried about the Coples penalty (thought it was crap, but at least he got to hit the QB).  Pulling people off of the pile, shoving a guy downfield.  Stupid.  Don't play down to the opponent (that was clearly frustrated).  I hope there is some accountability for it.

Playing Cro.  The defense played great and clearly Bowles and company know more than me, but it seems that we played Cro out of loyalty.  He didn't seem right and I thought Williams deserved more snaps.  I wouldn't have benched him, but I would have given Williams more reps.  Got to get him some experience, and rest Cro (especially on a short week).

The offensive Game plan and lack of adjustments.  Bowles said they didn't want to have the Colts dictate the game plan.  I get that, but we got way too conservative way too early.  You want to keep Luck off of the field; i get it.  But, the defense was controlling Luck; have faith in them; have faith in the offense.  Doesn't good coaching dictate the the offense should take what the Defense is giving you?  We should have had 2 more scores.  Imagine going into 4th Q winning 20 - 0, instead of 10 to 0.  Forget letting the Colts stay in the game; forget risking loosing in the 4th with an tired secondary - we just exhausted our D on an away game on a short week.  Hopefully they can rest up and prepare for the Eagles.

Special teams.  The only thing worse about our specials then Kerley as punt returner is our punter.  He is great about pinning inside the 20, but is always good for one bad punt a week.  Fortunately, our defense and offense have been playing well enough that we don't need a 60yd punter.

The bad sounds like a lot, but I love the way this team is playing.  I love the heart.  I love they way the are winning while learning.  But, winning cures all evils, I would hate to see the worts show if they don't fix the problems.  Go Jets.

what happened to Indy's TEs? Was our coverage on them that good? Who was covering them? Does this mean we have an answer to the Gronk?

Dwayne Allen hurt his ankle and missed a good chunk of the game.  Coby Fleener was iced out I think mostly by Gilchrist (But I'm not sure)

A couple of other things:

- Love how Bowles and the whole team was very business-like and matter of fact with
their reactions after the game.  No proclamations or warnings to the NFL to "watch
out for the Jets".  Just answered questions and prepared to move onto PHI

It is as you called it being a PROFESSIONAL!!!

Just so nice to see......

Great write-ups by the way!

what happened to Indy's TEs? Was our coverage on them that good? Who was covering them? Does this mean we have an answer to the Gronk?

Gronk, with Brady pitching to him is a different kettle of fish, but from what I saw of Pryor, Gilchrist and the rest of our secondary, I think we can force an extra second or two and allow out front seven to really pressure Brady and force him into some rushed throws .  That is what we did to Luck last night and the results were 3 ints.  

Good

The secondary; hell the whole damn defense.  They played scary good.  As some other posters have pointed out, this is the defense we were promised during the Ryan era, but never got.  If we had this defense, we beat the Colts in the AFC championship game.  The great thing is that that based on yardage, etc. we are not that good, but damn, 10 turnovers and only 17 points - that is a defense that can win championships.  The seemed gassed at the end of the game and still came up big with an INT.  They are dominant.

Marshall - This guy is amazing.  Strong, tall, savvy, though.  I was worried about his behavior when we traded for him, but his leadership is amazing.  We need to draft his replacement soon, just so he can learn from this guy.  I loved his interview.  The offense stunk it up (it wasn't him - see below).  "I am the most hollywood guy here" - he didn't act so hollywood to me.  He didn't boast how he played above Davis, but he did say shame on the media for comparing him to Revis.

Defensive adjustments and game plan.  For a second week in a row, they came prepared and ready to play.  For the second week in a row, they adjusted when they needed to.  Smart.

Going back to Bilal after the fumble.

Bad (too much like Ryan on all three).

I know it was a big game; but some of the penalties were just stupid.  Not worried about the Coples penalty (thought it was crap, but at least he got to hit the QB).  Pulling people off of the pile, shoving a guy downfield.  Stupid.  Don't play down to the opponent (that was clearly frustrated).  I hope there is some accountability for it.

Playing Cro.  The defense played great and clearly Bowles and company know more than me, but it seems that we played Cro out of loyalty.  He didn't seem right and I thought Williams deserved more snaps.  I wouldn't have benched him, but I would have given Williams more reps.  Got to get him some experience, and rest Cro (especially on a short week).

The offensive Game plan and lack of adjustments.  Bowles said they didn't want to have the Colts dictate the game plan.  I get that, but we got way too conservative way too early.  You want to keep Luck off of the field; i get it.  But, the defense was controlling Luck; have faith in them; have faith in the offense.  Doesn't good coaching dictate the the offense should take what the Defense is giving you?  We should have had 2 more scores.  Imagine going into 4th Q winning 20 - 0, instead of 10 to 0.  Forget letting the Colts stay in the game; forget risking loosing in the 4th with an tired secondary - we just exhausted our D on an away game on a short week.  Hopefully they can rest up and prepare for the Eagles.

Special teams.  The only thing worse about our specials then Kerley as punt returner is our punter.  He is great about pinning inside the 20, but is always good for one bad punt a week.  Fortunately, our defense and offense have been playing well enough that we don't need a 60yd punter.

The bad sounds like a lot, but I love the way this team is playing.  I love the heart.  I love they way the are winning while learning.  But, winning cures all evils, I would hate to see the worts show if they don't fix the problems.  Go Jets.

It is the second game of the season for a brand new coaching staff, a bunch of new players and you are on the road on Monday night.  I have no problem with the plays called; Enunwa dropped two passes that would have been first downs.  My only issue was Fitz' two deep passes to  a double teamed Marshall but Marshall has come down with the ball in similar situations, the balls were poorly thrown and should have been to Marshalls back Shoulder; forcing the DB to Jump thru him to get to the ball.   You also have to give credit to the Colts defense for the way they played the run; I sure didn't expect them to play that well for as long as they did. 

BTW Parcells made a career of winning games like this with the Giants.  Bowles did kind of apprentice under him. 

Archived