Bowles - "they"

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Like the rest I had a great time watching last nights game.  Our team really showed up.  Plenty to get excited about.

Afterward it was great to hear Bowles talk about the players on the team and use the expression "they" when referring to what the players did on the field. 

It was never about him.  Never about the coaches.  It was about the players winning the game.  

It was also great to hear the players afterward almost immediately transition to next weeks game.  Short week.  Gotta get ready.  

We have a professional group here fellas that is establishing a culture of steady improvement and playing to our strengths.

Feels good.

5 turnovers and their top 3 corners were out. I am happy we won, but we should have put up more points than that.

Hey, man.  Don't harsh my mellow. ;)

Yeah, I was sweating it a bit after Indy scored.  Would have been awful if they had somehow pulled it out.

To the OP:  Bowles is a breath of fresh, mountain air.  With our track record in HCs, who knows what will happen.  But right now?  Bowles is impressive.

5 turnovers and their top 3 corners were out. I am happy we won, but we should have put up more points than that.

Agreed. Could, and should, have been a blowout.

The Patriots won't let us by that easily, and we all know that if Gore was a Patriot, he wouldn't have fumbled.

Hopefully the offense will continue to gel, with a nice boost with Devin on the field, and Chan refines his play calling throughout the season.

This D looks scary good. I, at first, wanted Bowles to discipline Sheldon further for that "episode", but now I'm REALLY REALLY giddy to see what this D can do with him on the field.

we just beat andrew luck, I dont care if they were wheeling out the water boy on D..

they have a top 5 QB at home, indoors on a fast track with his guys all playiing, gore, aj, moncrief ty and forsett and we stifled them.

The stuff on O, we had the ball pinned back a couple of times on the turnovers and a bad Giacomini penalty put us out of position on another, once Fitz thrw the almost 2nd pick, Chan pulled it back and said what am I doing, let's let the D win the game and when they needed to respond they responded...

great game, and a statement game that serves notice on the league.. look out for the J E T S

Definitely a completely different vibe, but still in honeymoon phase. Having said that I think that Bowles has the demeanor of a long term HC that will not lose his players. Also the coaching level is exceptional.

Really like Bowles too.  Need to give Maccags credit for bringing in veteran guys like Revis and Fitzpatrick who bring a different mindset to the locker room as well...

Don't forget, the Colts o line and d line played substantially better then they did in week one, they were fast to the ball or to the gaps. They clearly put a lot of emphasis on it during practice during the week. We handled it well, the team didn't get rattled and it did not force us to become one dimensional. 

I wish we did score more, but between the missed FG, and drops from Decker, Enuwa, and Owusu which all contributed to drives stalling I'm sure we would of put up more points.  

But most importantly is the fact the team is making plays when they need to and are not becoming rattled. 

Awesome stuff!!!!

Really like Bowles too.  Need to give Maccags credit for bringing in veteran guys like Revis and Fitzpatrick who bring a different mindset to the locker room as well...

Mac has been a flat out stud as GM. The media likes to go on and on about the money we spent on CB, but the reality is that all of the CB deals are actually very cap friendly after this year and will not have a big cap impact going forward and this is brilliant. We have a lot of veterans but also a really solid young core so we can win now while also still rebuilding.

A blowout would have been fun to watch but unnecessary at this point. It's game two and there's no reason to show off our entire playbook just to run up the score.

I'd rather hope that we intentionally let off the gas on offense through the game than start worrying that the offense can't get it together with so many opportunities.

Definitely a completely different vibe, but still in honeymoon phase. Having said that I think that Bowles has the demeanor of a long term HC that will not lose his players. Also the coaching level is exceptional.

This is the key!! 

Bowles has top flight coaches that he has thought about and brought over for the Jets not boyhood friends whom the rest of the staff is  openly questioning their ability.

Also I too felt that the game plan was to conservative during the game but, I have been wondering, is Chan or was Chan playing the game within the game?

That is making sure you show as little as possible, if you are in control of the game, so that future opponents have a harder time adjusting to us?  That is what great coaches do, stick their game plan, if they are winning and why the Pats are always one step ahead of their opponents in game on game match-ups. That is don't change the game plan if you are winning.

Now I know that the Pats blow the doors off folks but they are a SB team with a HOF QB at the helm so their approach is going to be much different from a team that is just being put together and still growing.

Just a thought.

Lets Go Jets!

Mac has been a flat out stud as GM. The media likes to go on and on about the money we spent on CB, but the reality is that all of the CB deals are actually very cap friendly after this year and will not have a big cap impact going forward and this is brilliant. We have a lot of veterans but also a really solid young core so we can win now while also still rebuilding.

It is called having a strategic plan.... FINALLY!!!

Agreed. Could, and should, have been a blowout.

The Patriots won't let us by that easily, and we all know that if Gore was a Patriot, he wouldn't have fumbled.

Hopefully the offense will continue to gel, with a nice boost with Devin on the field, and Chan refines his play calling throughout the season.

This D looks scary good. I, at first, wanted Bowles to discipline Sheldon further for that "episode", but now I'm REALLY REALLY giddy to see what this D can do with him on the field.

Each game is different. What worked last night in certain situations won't work next week; it is all about the match ups and game situations.  The important thing is to WIN while you are getting all these things sorted out.  What I like is each week different players are stepping up.  Our secondary is going to be a nightmare to play against in the weeks to come as they continue to gell.    Fitz didn't play his best game but the key was he didn't make many mistakes either.  His decision making for the most part has been spot on; I love the chemistry he is developing with Marshall and Decker.   Enunwa had two big drops but came back with a confidence boosting catch on 3rd down late in the game to keep a drive alive.  When Devin Smith returns this offense will become downright explosive.  

I believe Bowles truly gets it.  His objective each game is to do what it takes to win THAT GAME.  If it means rushing 4 instead of 3, so be it. If he needs to rely on the pass more than the run, because the Colts were selling out against the run and had the JV playing in the secondary then Marshall and Decker will each go over 100 yards as they almost did.   When it was time to seal the game, the running game came alive.  That is how you win in this league.  

He is a young coach and he will make his share of mistakes but so far from what I have seen, the Jets may just have found the coach to take them to the promised land. 

The defense overall and especially the turnovers were outstanding but my good feelings today were all about the upside that still exists for this team.

Sheldon is going to be an absolute maniac when he gets back and help us keeping the defense from getting too tired.  Mauldin and Milliner should add to what is already looking like a stacked defense.

On offense I think Smith is going to be a game changer for our passing game and I think the current set of guys have said that they can be better, much better than they were last night.

Our punter sucks.

Other than that I could hardly have asked for a better start to the year.

I like Bowles, but I think you guys take things too far.  As usual.

It is good to praise the players and not the coaches.  OTOH, at the first sign of adversity if he is still saying they have to do this or that, you guys and the players might not be so happy.  Everybody is in it together, so general leadership principles point to saying "we"   Continue the love-fest.

I like Bowles, but I think you guys take things too far.  As usual.

It is good to praise the players and not the coaches.  OTOH, at the first sign of adversity if he is still saying they have to do this or that, you guys and the players might not be so happy.  Everybody is in it together, so general leadership principles point to saying "we"   Continue the love-fest.

Interested to hear your take on Bowles...other than "i like him".  How much of a sample do you need?

I'm not guaranteeing success with this guy.  I'm saying as a fan I enjoy his approach to coaching and like following teams that operate the way he seems to be operating thus far.  There are always bumps, it's how you handle it.

The man knows how to coach defense. That's really important, since most of the talent on this team is on the defensive side. Lot of high draft picks And big money guys on that side; we needed a coach that could get the best out of them. Bowles should be judged on his work with the defense. 

offense will never be elite unless we get a better QB, it's still a work in progress...building a good offense is more of a long term project. Gailey-ball will do for now.

But he doesn't put himself in the spotlight like a former coach who will go unnamed, and has been on ESPN more than anyone on his team. That must get old to players, because ultimately the game is about "them" and not the coaches.

Hey, man.  Don't harsh my mellow. ;)

Yeah, I was sweating it a bit after Indy scored.  Would have been awful if they had somehow pulled it out.

To the OP:  Bowles is a breath of fresh, mountain air.  With our track record in HCs, who knows what will happen.  But right now?  Bowles is impressive.

rep'd for "dont harsh my mellow". 

Bowles is the mother F'ing man.  He's all business and I guarantee he can kick any HC's ass in the NFL. 

rep'd for "dont harsh my mellow". 

Bowles is the mother F'ing man.  He's all business and I guarantee he can kick any HC's ass in the NFL. 

Thanks, dude.

Totally agree about Bowles' toughness.  Quiet guy with a steely stare that can absolutely freeze anybody stupid enough to piss hmi off.

Eh. Patriot fans complain about not winning by enough.

Nobody is saying we played a perfect game. We handled our business on the road, against a perennial playoff team in their home opener, with a QB that didn't even get all the starters reps in the pre-season. 

This is entirely true, but at least the Jets caused 4 of those 5 turnovers.

The offense is still a work in progress.  Fitz seemed overagreesive with the 3 corners out trying to force throws to Marshall, who was triple teamed because the corners were out.  That was a time to attack Decker's side again in 2nd half.  

As to Bowles, the benefit for the Jets is that he's an NFL lifer and lacks the personality for TV so he's not looking for a bigger job, like Herm or Rex.

It's been noticeable right away, We may not have the most talented team in the league, but we look like a prepared and professional football team. That matters. A lot.

True.  It's surprising to us, but it shouldn't have been because that was looked on as one of Bowles' strength in the interview process, that he made the most out of what he had on D in Arizona.

Look it's only been 2 weeks so we can't go crazy, but after 6 years of the bombastic clown show this really feels good.  Rex's reaction to beating Andrew Luck was to have his team typically overconfident and chirping at the Patriots and we saw what happened next.  Bowles lead is what influenced Fitzpatrick to say in his presser last night that the offense has to get better and he is anything but satisfied.  Very refreshing.

Eh. Patriot fans complain about not winning by enough.

Nobody is saying we played a perfect game. We handled our business on the road, against a perennial playoff team in their home opener, with a QB that didn't even get all the starters reps in the pre-season. 

I am thankful for all that. Don't get me wrong. I am optimistic about this team, as usual, probably a little too much. I hated watching us just happy to kill clock and not really go after it. We lifted off the throttle and were content with our lead. I don't want to see that. I want more urgency. The Colts were really weak last night, maybe the weakest they will be their entire season, and we had some great field position we didn't capitalize on. That could be costly against healthier teams.

This is the key!! 

Bowles has top flight coaches that he has thought about and brought over for the Jets not boyhood friends whom the rest of the staff is  openly questioning their ability.

Also I too felt that the game plan was to conservative during the game but, I have been wondering, is Chan or was Chan playing the game within the game?

That is making sure you show as little as possible, if you are in control of the game, so that future opponents have a harder time adjusting to us?  That is what great coaches do, stick their game plan, if they are winning and why the Pats are always one step ahead of their opponents in game on game match-ups. That is don't change the game plan if you are winning.

Now I know that the Pats blow the doors off folks but they are a SB team with a HOF QB at the helm so their approach is going to be much different from a team that is just being put together and still growing.

Just a thought.

Lets Go Jets!

Agree, want Bowles to be our long term answer as HC.  Tired of the early optimism turn to failure turn to new hire, new philosophy, new players, new build, etc 

I do think the conservative shift made sense, just didnt get the feeling that if we held the ball even a little that the Colts would have the time or ability to put up multiple scores.

Archived