Andrew Luck, prevent and other thoughts

JohnnyLV

Some thoughts on the game I do not see other's posting.

1. I will say it to my dying day, and I think last night showed it: Andrew Luck is NOT an elite QB. He is no where near the likes of Brady, Brees, Manning, Rapelisburger, and on and on. He just throws a lot, and plays a lot of crappy teams that throw soft zone at him. Is he a good QB?. Absolutely. But he is a turnover machine and already has more turnovers in 2 games than Rodgers had all of last season. The hype on this guy needs to stop. In the last 3 games against teams that actually play defense Luck has Sucked. Unfortunately his hype will continue, as the Colts have a ludicrously easy schedule left. Not only do they have 6 games against the AFC North left, they have 4 games against the worst division in football, so he will likely be able to pad his numbers and they still make the playoffs, but do not be fooled. We can crush them again in the playoffs. 

2. The "prevent" defense is MIA. 100% chance that last year when the Colts were in the 2 minute before the first half ended, Rex would have trotted out the soft zone and Indy would have scored. Not only did Bowles not do that he got another TO. He never changed the way the defense played the Colts and that is just awesome. You can get the defense gets a jolt of energy too knowing that their HC has that much confidence in them.

3. Speaking of Bowles, no one seems to be noticing that Todd is calling the defensive plays. I have no issue with this at all.

4. Buster Skrine is really an incredibly good defensive player. As good as Revis is, and as good as our DL talent is (We need to figure a way to keep Wilk without paying Suh money) I think Skrine may be the catalyst for our entire defense. Not only is he exceptional at nickel coverage of TEs and slot guys, but he is all over the field in tons of different roles. He is our wildcard and really makes our defense and especially our pressure and coverage combinations really unpredictable.

5. Davis and Harris. Not the great ILBs but the defensive scheme really maximizes their skills and they are very effective. Bowles made an interesting comment last night that only one defensive package was the same as when he played Indy in Arizona because the players are completely different and they have different skillsets. THAT is great coaching.

6, I LOVE the defensive scheme. Simple defense that allows the defense to "fly around' (Bowles words) and make plays on the play. Interesting to note that the coverage techniques that the Jets are using are not zone but not straight lock up man either. They are playing man coverage but in a way that they are able to look towards the backfield by incorporating almost a zone like technique to the man to man. It will lead to some additional catches on comebacks and throws like that but the advantage is that the vision this technique affords them to make more pass breakups but also to consistently make plays on the ball and make turnovers which we are already seeing.

7. The level of precision in coaching is amazing. Our players are playing with amazing precise technique across the board.

8. Devin Smith will have a huge positive impact on this offense. Hopefully he does not need to replace Decker and Eric comes back quickly.

9. We have a big benchmark Sunday. Win or lose it will be interesting to see if the Jets can maintain their intensity and focus and come to play after an emotional Monday victory,

So much miscommunication going on with that offense. You can see it on every play. It's a long season and guys rebound, but part of it has to do with Pagano feuding with the front office too. Just a lot off distractions hanging over them right now. I'm a Luck fan and think they'll rebound, it would be a shame if they didn't.

So much miscommunication going on with that offense. You can see it on every play. It's a long season and guys rebound, but part of it has to do with Pagano feuding with the front office too. Just a lot off distractions hanging over them right now. I'm a Luck fan and think they'll rebound, it would be a shame if they didn't.

Nick Saban will be the 2016 HC of the Colts.

Some thoughts on the game I do not see other's posting.

1. I will say it to my dying day, and I think last night showed it: Andrew Luck is NOT an elite QB. He is no where near the likes of Brady, Brees, Manning, Rapelisburger, and on and on. He just throws a lot, and plays a lot of crappy teams that throw soft zone at him. Is he a good QB?. Absolutely. But he is a turnover machine and already has more turnovers in 2 games than Rodgers had all of last season. The hype on this guy needs to stop. In the last 3 games against teams that actually play defense Luck has Sucked. Unfortunately his hype will continue, as the Colts have a ludicrously easy schedule left. Not only do they have 6 games against the AFC North left, they have 4 games against the worst division in football, so he will likely be able to pad his numbers and they still make the playoffs, but do not be fooled. We can crush them again in the playoffs. 

2. The "prevent" defense is MIA. 100% chance that last year when the Colts were in the 2 minute before the first half ended, Rex would have trotted out the soft zone and Indy would have scored. Not only did Bowles not do that he got another TO. He never changed the way the defense played the Colts and that is just awesome. You can get the defense gets a jolt of energy too knowing that their HC has that much confidence in them.

3. Speaking of Bowles, no one seems to be noticing that Todd is calling the defensive plays. I have no issue with this at all.

4. Buster Skrine is really an incredibly good defensive player. As good as Revis is, and as good as our DL talent is (We need to figure a way to keep Wilk without paying Suh money) I think Skrine may be the catalyst for our entire defense. Not only is he exceptional at nickel coverage of TEs and slot guys, but he is all over the field in tons of different roles. He is our wildcard and really makes our defense and especially our pressure and coverage combinations really unpredictable.

5. Davis and Harris. Not the great ILBs but the defensive scheme really maximizes their skills and they are very effective. Bowles made an interesting comment last night that only one defensive package was the same as when he played Indy in Arizona because the players are completely different and they have different skillsets. THAT is great coaching.

6, I LOVE the defensive scheme. Simple defense that allows the defense to "fly around' (Bowles words) and make plays on the play. Interesting to note that the coverage techniques that the Jets are using are not zone but not straight lock up man either. They are playing man coverage but in a way that they are able to look towards the backfield by incorporating almost a zone like technique to the man to man. It will lead to some additional catches on comebacks and throws like that but the advantage is that the vision this technique affords them to make more pass breakups but also to consistently make plays on the ball and make turnovers which we are already seeing.

7. The level of precision in coaching is amazing. Our players are playing with amazing precise technique across the board.

8. Devin Smith will have a huge positive impact on this offense. Hopefully he does not need to replace Decker and Eric comes back quickly.

9. We have a big benchmark Sunday. Win or lose it will be interesting to see if the Jets can maintain their intensity and focus and come to play after an emotional Monday victory,

My take on some of your points.

1. Sorry, couldn't disagree more.  This guy has what it takes.  I seem to remember Rex making Brady look pedestrian a few times and that is after he had all the experience in the world and a good/great team.  Luck is surrounded by crap.  If he was on the Jets, we would be SB favorites.

2. Agree completely, now if we can avoid the prevent offense...

3. I did notice that; interesting, I wonder if he gives it back at some time; I don't have a problem with it since the defense is HOT, and he seems to be able to manage the game (something Rex couldn't)

4. Yes

5. Yes (still think they paid too much for Harris)

6. Yes; I love to watch these guys play

7. Yes and mostly disciplined - not only are their penalties way down; they are starting to get the benefit of the doubt with the officials.

8. I am looking forward to seeing what he can add to the offense.  If he is really that fast, it could have made a big difference last night on the deep balls

9. I couldn't agree more.

Nice post

Archived