Getting Punched Was Best thing for Jets AND Geno

JetBlue

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seems odd to give up on a rookie when you're promoting the idea that Geno can improve.   If Geno can improve, Petty definitely can as well. 

Exactly, I don't know why we have dump on one and praise the other.  The hope is the both develop into capable starters.  BTW although Petty is a rookie, I believe Geno is actually younger.   

Fantasy footballer / Madden fanboy spotted? 

Perhaps you noticed when the Colts made it a 10-7 game, the Jets marched the ball 80 yards for an emphatic TD.  

You should be crediting the coaching rather than criticizing the offense. We were in control last night. If you doubt we were in control, just remember how many losses we incurred under Rex Ryan where catchup only seemed a possession away ... yet whenever the opposing team needed to score (after Jets put up points or during opponents last possession of the 1st half) they did. When you put all of those games together, those games where we just needed a little more offense to win - you see how similar they were, the teams we lost to were in control the whole time

To quote Herm because I'll always remember him fondly: "you play to win the game".

Are you suggesting the Jets didn't want to score earlier?  Teams don't purposely try and keep the score close.  They def. stepped up when they had to in the 4th - but you can't let them off the hook for lack of offense throughout most of the game.  The game should not have been close.  The offense was bad last night - we'll take the win but nobody should be fooling themselves into thinking we have a good offense.

Are you suggesting the Jets didn't want to score earlier?  Teams don't purposely try and keep the score close.  They def. stepped up when they had to in the 4th - but you can't let them off the hook for lack of offense throughout most of the game.  The game should not have been close.  The offense was bad last night - we'll take the win but nobody should be fooling themselves into thinking we have a good offense.

Can it be that they had a "sub-par" game?  We are breaking in an inexperienced player in Enunwa who dropped two catchable balls (I bet Kerley makes those catches btw).  The Offensive line got very little push on running plays after dominating the line of scrimmage last week.   We are still waiting for our 2nd round pick.   Give it TIME for Chris sakes.  It is the SECOND game of the season and we went into Indy on Monday night and WON. That is all that COUNTS.   Bowles and Gailey KNOW there is still plenty of work to do as they continue to integrate all the pieces together. Enjoy the win and lets move on.   

Just seems odd to give up on a rookie when you're promoting the idea that Geno can improve.   If Geno can improve, Petty definitely can as well. 

Really? Maybe I can improve too - from a couch wielding a$$hole into a starting QB? 

Some guys just don't have what it takes. IMO that's Petty.... I also just saw the news that we're working an equally inexperienced Renner at QB today. What does that say about the Jets impression of Petty? 

Really? Maybe I can improve too - from a couch wielding a$$hole into a starting QB? 

Some guys just don't have what it takes. IMO that's Petty.... I also just saw the news that we're working an equally inexperienced Renner at QB today. What does that say about the Jets impression of Petty? 

the jets kept petty as the #2 qb rather than signing a veteran, even though the salary is no longer guaranteed.  what does that say about petty?

He hasn't played a down of football.  What are you talking about?  You bash bitonti for his analysis then off you go with your expert take on a QB who has never played.  lol. 

the jets kept petty as the #2 qb rather than signing a veteran, even though the salary is no longer guaranteed.  what does that say about petty?

What does that say about you - that you would post something as nonsensical as that. Obviously you're not going to CUT Petty for christ stakes. This isn't the Idzik regime... but if you're working B. Renner at QB, then it speaks volumes about what the Coaching staff feel Petty's development is at. 

What does that say about you - that you would post something as nonsensical as that. Obviously you're not going to CUT Petty for christ stakes. This isn't the Idzik regime... but if you're working B. Renner at QB, then it speaks volumes about what the Coaching staff feel Petty's development is at. 

the point of my post, was the jets kept petty as the #2 rather than signing someone else like josh johnson and using josh as the #2 until geno is ready.  the jets were obviously comfortable enough with the notion that petty was 1 play away from finishing the monday night game. 

perhaps you should enlist someone else on the board to help with the reading comprehension elements required here.

Now the offense was bad?

Bowles addressed "situational football" last night. Granted situational football means nothing on Draft Kings, but it's integral to winning football games - a subtlety we had issues with in the Ryan era.

About 15 seconds in, reporter asks about a lack of point abundance to which a man with a lifetime of football addresses succinctly and to this thread's benefit.

He hasn't played a down of football.  What are you talking about?  You bash bitonti for his analysis then off you go with your expert take on a QB who has never played.  lol. 

Because all late round QBs develop into all stars?... You're misconstruing what I'm saying. Petty's development was always going to be an Everest Climb... and from the sounds of it, it hasn't gotten off to a great start. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. That's not a "crazy" opinion to hold. 

QB Bryn Renner will work out for the Jets today

The New York Jets will work out quarterback Bryn Renner today (Wilson, Sept. 22).

Renner, 25, played at the University of North Carolina from 2011-13. He was projected as a potential first-round draft pick before a shoulder injury ended his senior season prematurely.

After spending a year playing in the AFL, Renner had a brief stint on the Baltimore Ravens practice squad last season.

Says to the layman - we'd like to feel better about our back ups.

Jets OC Chan Gailey said Bryce Petty is still adjusting to pro-style concepts.
"I don't like where he is, but I like where he's headed," Gailey said. Petty will open the season as the No. 2 quarterback, but the Jets would be forced to sign a veteran if Ryan Fitzpatrick got injured. ESPN New York believes it’s a "big leap of faith" to include Petty in the Jets' 2016 quarterback plans. Sep 12 - 2:38 PM
Source: ESPN New York 

You can come up with your opinions - it's a free country.

That is the premise of the thread; that he can now relax and focus on learning the offense and observing game action and the decision making of a veteran QB.  I don't understand where you are getting this disengaged stuff; he looked plenty engaged to me. Not sure where that is coming from... 

Have you seen him anywhere during any of the games where he has been sidelined (this year or last) where he is involved with his teammates? Huddling with the starter and the OC? I haven't.

Can it be that they had a "sub-par" game?  We are breaking in an inexperienced player in Enunwa who dropped two catchable balls (I bet Kerley makes those catches btw).  The Offensive line got very little push on running plays after dominating the line of scrimmage last week.   We are still waiting for our 2nd round pick.   Give it TIME for Chris sakes.  It is the SECOND game of the season and we went into Indy on Monday night and WON. That is all that COUNTS.   Bowles and Gailey KNOW there is still plenty of work to do as they continue to integrate all the pieces together. Enjoy the win and lets move on.   

I understand it's early, I'm not calling for peoples heads and I'm happy to be 2-0...A new QB, new system - I get it...but Fitz hasn't been good, the offense hasn't been good.  Can they get better? Sure.  Will they? I don't know.  I certainly hope so, but if we want to really contend they need to get A LOT better.

Now the offense was bad?

Bowles addressed "situational football" last night. Granted situational football means nothing on Draft Kings, but it's integral to winning football games - a subtlety we had issues with in the Ryan era.

About 15 seconds in, reporter asks about a lack of point abundance to which a man with a lifetime of football addresses succinctly and to this thread's benefit.

he said absolutely nothing in that clip.

Because all late round QBs develop into all stars?... You're misconstruing what I'm saying. Petty's development was always going to be an Everest Climb... and from the sounds of it, it hasn't gotten off to a great start. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. That's not a "crazy" opinion to hold. 

Says to the layman - we'd like to feel better about our back ups.

You can come up with your opinions - it's a free country.

1.  Bryn Renner working out with the team is not evidence Petty can't develop.

2.  Never say Petty will develop into a starter.  Just that he MIGHT.  You're well prepared to cap his potential as a backup.  Meanwhile you seem to think Geno can be an effective starter when all evidence points to that not being the case. 

We have enough evidence saying Geno's potential might be capped as being a backup.  Yet to you, Geno could be something, and based on one sh*tty training camp, Petty definitely won't be.  Come on.  Even you have to see the fallacy in this.  If Geno can become something, Petty definitely can as well.  2 years of NFL tape is a lot more evidence to go on than some article about us working out a 3rd string QB.

i'm not so sure getting punched was good for anyone, Jets included, but I do HOPE he makes the best of this situation and learns the offense while being on the sidelines...

I would be utterly, and entirely shocked if Fitz plays 16 games... It's not his M.O... at some point in Oct, Nov, etc - the wheels are going to come off, like they did for a quarter last night. Geno better be effin' ready when that time comes.

You mean like they came off for Luck? All QBs throw a stinker out there. You don't bench a guy after one. Funny that many argued 30 games of Geno sucking not enough data to evaluate properly but if we get one bad half out of Fitz (we will, it happens to all QBs) the pitchforks will come out.

You mean like they came off for Luck? All QBs throw a stinker out there. You don't bench a guy after one. Funny that many argued 30 games of Geno sucking not enough data to evaluate properly but if we get one bad half out of Fitz (we will, it happens to all QBs) the pitchforks will come out.

It wasn't really a bad half; more like mediocre.  

I'm not saying Bench Fitz... far from it, keep rolling with the beard for now. The only point i was making - was that there was shades of bad Fitz in that game... thankfully, we overcame them, and won. If we can continue with that formula - great. If it gets worse, we're going to have to pray Geno has his sh*t together. 

I'm not saying Bench Fitz... far from it, keep rolling with the beard for now. The only point i was making - was that there was shades of bad Fitz in that game... thankfully, we overcame them, and won. If we can continue with that formula - great. If it gets worse, we're going to have to pray Geno has his sh*t together. 

I am praying it doesn't come to that. 

It wasn't really a bad half; more like mediocre.  

I was referring to when he will have a bad half. It is inevitable. But Geno lovers will make it out to be "Fitzpatrick is Fitzpatricking" when all QBs have bad streaks.

I'd rather have shades of bad than full on league-worst 100% of the time. Luck just had a horrendous game. The great Andrew Luck. If that was Fitz, people would be screaming for his scalp.  All QBs put up clunkers now and then. Fitz is no world beater, but he is a geno beater. And that's the end of the analysis for me.

Tell us more

I was hoping Geno would never get another chance but he will be playing soon if Fitz keeps playing like this.

He should be playing next week, but I suspect that the leash on Fitz is getting pretty short. One thing to consider though is that Gailey does not like to change QBs as he sees it as personal failure not the QBs. He said that early in preseason.

He should be playing next week, but I suspect that the leash on Fitz is getting pretty short. One thing to consider though is that Gailey does not like to change QBs as he sees it as personal failure not the QBs. He said that early in preseason.

Fitz shouldnt be benched for a bad game yesterday.  Once the commitment was made to go with Fitz he needs to go to at least the bye week 

For many it's as if the last two years didn't exist.  

"Fritz" is doing great. There's a gameplan and he's executing within it. For past two games, I don't think I can recall a single instance where our QB held the ball too long or has taken a helpless coverage sack - I'm sure this feels as foreign to many of you as it does to me.

I was looking forward to revisiting this - and the notion of "Fritz" executing... let me know when you're ready to face the truth.

Fitz shouldnt be benched for a bad game yesterday.  Once the commitment was made to go with Fitz he needs to go to at least the bye week 

It was not just one bad game. He really did not play well in the first 2 either, he just had the opportunity because of 5 turnovers to throw purely short passes and have stats that looked like he played OK. He was below average in those 2 games as well.

It was not just one bad game. He really did not play well in the first 2 either, he just had the opportunity because of 5 turnovers to throw purely short passes and have stats that looked like he played OK. He was below average in those 2 games as well.

Doesnt make a difference, he became the starter and needs a fair chance

I was looking forward to revisiting this - and the notion of "Fritz" executing... let me know when you're ready to face the truth.

LOL - it took you three games for an opening to call for Geno? 

Here's the truth: this team is emphasizing the Miami game. Chris Ivory and Decker would have been on the field yesterday if that was the Dolphins.  All facets of the team O/D/ST improves in London, we'll likely see a gameplan executed (which happens to mean Fitz not throwing even half as many as the 58 attempts from yesterday!) and Jets can go 3-1.

Then you'll murmur something about Jets should be 4-0 and Fitz will never beat the Patriots or something. 

Archived