Decker sprains knee, Owusu out two weeks (merged)

njjetman

Eric Decker exploded during the first half of the New York Jets victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Monday, but he later exited the game due to a knee injury.

According to Darryl Slater of NJ Advance Media, head coach Todd Bowles is hopeful Decker will return but isn’t sure the receiver will be available against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Todd Bowles says Eric Decker is day to day with a sprained knee. Bowles isn't sure if Decker will be able to play vs. Eagles. "Hopeful."

— Darryl Slater (@DarrylSlater) September 22, 2015

If Decker isn’t ready for Sunday afternoon’s matchup, it’d be a disappointment for the Jets offense that has played reasonably well with veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

Additionally, Fitzpatrick found a groove Monday night by throwing at the playmakers more often. Decker—who racked up his eight receptions, 97 yards and one touchdown before halftime—recorded 11 targets and Brandon Marshall added 10.

Fortunately for New York, the Eagles secondary hasn’t exactly been an elite unit. The Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys combined for a 70.6 completion percentage and three touchdowns.

If Decker isn’t available, Brandon Marshall will take an even larger role. But should Decker be ready for Sunday’s outing, Philadelphia’s D-backs probably won’t have an enjoyable outing for yet another week.

Here' the deal on our WR's and its something we have not seen here in years. Decker is hurt and may even sit but we actually have good depth at the position and have a lot of options on offense we never had. If this was last year, or years past it meant a death sentence. Not this year !!

• Upvote 1

I say sit Decker and activate Devin Smith. Smith has been participating in full practices for the past 2 weeks but Bowles basically took his time with Smith in order not to re-injure or have it linger throughout the season. I believe you do the same with Decker and not take the chance. We will need Decker for these division games coming up and I believe that Devin Smith, Chris Owusu, Jeremy Kerley and Quincey Enunwa could all have a collaborative effort and provide the production Decker could have had. 

Besides, Smith will add a dimension that we havent had this season, a deep threat. 

• Upvote 4

Jets WR Chris Owusu (leg) could miss two weeks.

Scratch Owusu off your Week 3 DFS sleepers list. The Jets will be forced to sign a receiver if Eric Decker (knee) also can't go against the Eagles. Jeremy Kerley is about to be forced back into a role on offense. Quincy Enunwa has logged 43 percent of the Jets' snaps so far and could be a starter in Week 3.

The Jets consider Eric Decker (knee) "day to day," and are "hopeful" he'll be ready for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Tuesday's MRI obviously provided good news, but Decker is still a long shot to suit up on a short week. That being said, he can't be completely ruled out, and is now looking like a good bet for Week 4. Decker's status will be updated when the Jets return to practice on Wednesday.

In my opinion, if Decker can't go, Devon Smith will most likely make his debut. That still leaves us down a receiver.

That leaves us 2 options; either bump Kerley up on the depth chart to the # 4 receiver - or you sign Walter Powell off the practice squad to the 53 man roster. Personally, I'd like to see Powell signed from the practice squad - but it probably won't happen.
Edited by ARodJetsFan
  • Upvote 1

Kelley should be elevated one place if Decker is out and get the same reps Owusu would get in the game at minimum. If Owusu is out as well then Kerley's role will increase. Having a guy like Kerley as the 5th guy is a pretty good spot to be in. Add to that Devin Smith should probably make an appearanceWe could split Powel out as well if need be in a pinch as he has reliable hands as well. 

We actually have some depth for once at the skill positions.

This is why they Kept Kerley. Owusu, even though this is a different injury, has been a long shot to make it through the whole season with his history. IMO this shows to what degree the Jets are actually thinking ahead. They have a young multi year starter with some legitimate success on his resume waiting in the wings to be next man up. On top of that Kerley knows this is his opportunity to show the new staff that he can positively impact the game. 

Not a bad back up plan here. 

• Upvote 3

Yep Kerley is a nice fall back option.

That being said, I still think signing Powell off the practice squad to the active roster would be a good idea.

We get one more injury at WR and we have problems if we don't make this move.

I like Powell as well because he is also such a faster player on special teams

• Upvote 2

Getting Devin Smith back couldn't come at a better time.  I think we will milk the Decker story all week like we did with Cro last week and he plays.  I also think it help we are at home and don't need a travel day.  Like the chances of Enunwa and Smith taking #3-4 spots.  Kerley may be active, but just like in camp I think Enunwa and Smith get the 1st team reps ahead of him.  I think Kersey only plays if Decker doesnt.

Jets WR Chris Owusu (leg) could miss two weeks.

Scratch Owusu off your Week 3 DFS sleepers list. The Jets will be forced to sign a receiver if Eric Decker (knee) also can't go against the Eagles. Jeremy Kerley is about to be forced back into a role on offense. Quincy Enunwa has logged 43 percent of the Jets' snaps so far and could be a starter in Week 3.

The Jets consider Eric Decker (knee) "day to day," and are "hopeful" he'll be ready for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Tuesday's MRI obviously provided good news, but Decker is still a long shot to suit up on a short week. That being said, he can't be completely ruled out, and is now looking like a good bet for Week 4. Decker's status will be updated when the Jets return to practice on Wednesday.

In my opinion, if Decker can't go, Devon Smith will most likely make his debut. That still leaves us down a receiver.

That leaves us 2 options; either bump Kerley up on the depth chart to the # 4 receiver - or you sign Walter Powell off the practice squad to the 53 man roster. Personally, I'd like to see Powell signed from the practice squad - but it probably won't happen.

That last line is what I want. Put Powell on the 53 MR and we pickup a PR and KR at the same time. Do it!

IMHO, I don't think Smith will see the field this week.  He is a rookie who misses a good portion of the preseason due to fx ribs with punctured lung.  Physically he might be marginally ready.  This isn't a Sexy Rexy team which always brings back injured players too soon.  Further he needs more practice reps before he'll be ready for prime time.   

Missing Decker would hurt, as he and Marshall are a formidable 1-2 punch. Getting Devin Smith back this week would soften the blow, though. Sucks losing Owusu, but he was really just keeping Smith's spot warm for him. Have Smith and Kerley platoon on the outside, with Enunwa manning the slot (where they like the big guy for blocking purposes). 

Puts added pressure on Fitzpatrick and the running game. 

The Jets worked out ex-Giants Corey Washington. 

He tweeted that he wasn't signing.  They also had Terrelle Pryor in.  The visit was reported last week, but they only had the tryouts this Tuesday, I guess because he worked out for the Pats last Tuesday.  FWIW, the move they made was Titus Davis (UDFA from Central Michigan) to the practice squad and they cut Jordan Williams to make room.  FWIW, Ivory is having trouble with the groin too.

TITUS DAVIS

Combine Results

Grade

5.38?
  • 4.51 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 32.5 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 119.0 INCH
    Top Performer
  • 7.14 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 4.28 SEC
    Top Performer

Draft Analysis:

6'1" Height

• 29 5/8" Arm Length
  • 196LBS. Weight
  • 8 1/4" Hands

Analysis

Strengths

Outstanding route runner. Has foot quickness to disorient corners off the line of scrimmage. Can "sell and sink" -- driving defenders vertically before sinking hips and turning quickly for easy completions. Was able to dominate lesser players playing off coverage. Wins at top of his routes with his hips coming out of his stems and finds ball quickly. Plus awareness with feet near sideline and tracks ball over his shoulder like an NFL veteran. Good leaper with outstanding body control. Has ability to adjust to poor throws and make tough catches. Desired football intelligence with understanding of coverages. Sits down in space against zone coverage and weaves through traffic on shallow crossers. Maximizes yards-after-catch opportunity.

Weaknesses

Not a twitch receiver. Can operate in tight spaces, but doesn't have the acceleration to create separation consistently against NFL-caliber cornerbacks. Doesn't eat up cushion quickly. Will be forced to make contested catches as a pro. Played against very marginal secondaries. Despite ability to make tough catches, has more focus drops than expected. Longer corners can get into him in press coverage. Average adjustment to lower throws. Lacks shiftiness to become much of a YAC threat as a pro.

Draft Projection

Round 5

NFL Comparison

Brian Hartline

Bottom Line

Evaluators and teams might focus on Davis' lack of speed, but his ability to win with his routes should not be undersold. Davis has excellent ball skills and foot quickness and could be a terrific fit for a West Coast offense looking for an outside receiver who can make plays near the goal line.

I say sit Decker and activate Devin Smith. Smith has been participating in full practices for the past 2 weeks but Bowles basically took his time with Smith in order not to re-injure or have it linger throughout the season. I believe you do the same with Decker and not take the chance. We will need Decker for these division games coming up and I believe that Devin Smith, Chris Owusu, Jeremy Kerley and Quincey Enunwa could all have a collaborative effort and provide the production Decker could have had

Besides, Smith will add a dimension that we havent had this season, a deep threat. 

Maybe if they let them all on the field together.  Losing Decker is a pretty big blow.  They can live without him for a week, but he was feasting while they tried to deal with Marshall.  Without Decker Smith is going to have to play an actual role and not get worked in slowly and Gailey will probably have to utilize his Kerley package.

• Upvote 1

Here' the deal on our WR's and its something we have not seen here in years. Decker is hurt and may even sit but we actually have good depth at the position and have a lot of options on offense we never had. If this was last year, or years past it meant a death sentence. Not this year !!

Weird how much things have changed in a year.  Hell we relatively have depth at every position.  "Where the hell am I?"

• Upvote 1

It was reportedd earlier Tuesday that the Jets had quarterback-turned-wide receiver Terrelle Pryor and Corey Washington in for a workout. That workout also included wide receivers Josh Lenz, DaVaris Daniels, Titus Davis and Daniel Brown, none of whom have ever played in an NFL game.

Quarterback Bryn Renner, who spent the offseason and preseason with the Ravens, was also on the Jets’ tryout list and could have been there to throw to the receivers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/with-deckers-status-uncertain-jets-try-out-a-bunch-of-receivers/