Decker sprains knee, Owusu out two weeks (merged)

njjetman

This is why they Kept Kerley. Owusu, even though this is a different injury, has been a long shot to make it through the whole season with his history. IMO this shows to what degree the Jets are actually thinking ahead. They have a young multi year starter with some legitimate success on his resume waiting in the wings to be next man up. On top of that Kerley knows this is his opportunity to show the new staff that he can positively impact the game. 

Not a bad back up plan here. 

Yep!  Owusu was in on like 50 snaps last game, zero catches and since the run game wasnt strong...I have no clue what he was doing on the field.  I'm not sure why they like him so much to begin with but yeah, this why Kerley wasnt getting cut like so many predicted.  If Decker or Marshall goes down, they only have one professional WR on the team. The rest are unknowns. 

Hopefully this Kerley's chance to get back into good favor with the coaching staff.  I dont understand why they're not using him.  The guy makes really tough grabs and is a playmaker.  It's confusing but hopefully he proves his place this week. 

Yep!  Owusu was in on like 50 snaps last game, zero catches and since the run game wasnt strong...I have no clue what he was doing on the field.  I'm not sure why they like him so much to begin with but yeah, this why Kerley wasnt getting cut like so many predicted.  If Decker or Marshall goes down, they only have one professional WR on the team. The rest are unknowns. 

Hopefully this Kerley's chance to get back into good favor with the coaching staff.  I dont understand why they're not using him.  The guy makes really tough grabs and is a playmaker.  It's confusing but hopefully he proves his place this week. 

Owusu is better than Kerley but he is fragile. Why is Cimini the only one reporting the injury to Owusu.

Owusu is better than Kerley but he is fragile. Why is Cimini the only one reporting the injury to Owusu.

Everybody is reporting it.  Bowles is apparently the one that said it.

Bowles also revealed that fellow wide receiver Chris Owusu suffered a leg injury. Bowles said on ESPN Radio that he thought Owusu, who played 52 snaps Monday but did not record a catch, might be out for two weeks. - Walder

Bowles added that backup wide receiver Chris Owusu injured one of his legs against the Colts. "I don't know the severity of that one yet," Bowles said. "I'm still waiting for that one to come back." Bowles said later on 98.7 ESPN New York radio that Owusu could miss a couple of weeks. -FoxSports

Moreover, receiver Chris Owusu hurt his leg on Monday. Bowles said in a conference call with reporters that he wasn't sure about the severity of the injury. He later told Michael Kay on ESPN New York radio that Owusu could miss two weeks. 

Through the first two games, the Jets have played Owusu and Brandon Marshall outside, and Decker in the slot, when lining up in three-receiver sets. So Owusu's injury is not insignificant. He played 52 of 69 snaps against the Colts, after getting 40 of 61 against the Browns. -Slater

If Gruden is to be believed (he's not) and based upon the few times I noticed Owusu in the route, they were using him to clear out a bunch.  He had a few deep targets that went incomplete.  They may be using him to keep the safeties honest and let Marshall and Decker run free underneath.  Kerley is not going to be very good at that.  Smith should be awesome, assuming he knows the plays.  Owusu also had the Bob Hayes play in the first drive which was called back for offensive PI on Decker

I feel the same way. But it is nice to imagine that they simply saw more potential upside to Owusu so started him to see if he can last and kept Kerley as insurance. Tanny would have cut Kerley as a favor to him like we did with Pennington after Favre. Why let a guy go for nothing? 

These guys seem to be thinking ahead from my point of view which is a nice change. 

I would love to see Kerely shine and fortify that we have a brilliant new staff in town. :D

I feel the same way. But it is nice to imagine that they simply saw more potential upside to Owusu so started him to see if he can last and kept Kerley as insurance. Tanny would have cut Kerley as a favor to him like we did with Pennington after Favre. Why let a guy go for nothing? 

These guys seem to be thinking ahead from my point of view which is a nice change. 

I would love to see Kerely shine and fortify that we have a brilliant new staff in town. :D

Agreed 100%.  It is a nice change.  I just think he can add a nice dynamic to a passing game that has only completed passes to 3 different actual WR's.  Owusu had over 50 snaps and zero catches last game.  He's also had 9 targets and only 4 grabs.  It's all just a little confusing to me.  But, like you said, these guys are seeing something, rolling with it but keeping a back up plan.  It's nice.   

I think the kerley mystery is as simple as Gailey likes his slot WRs to either be big and block or to be burners that can stretch the field. Kerley is neither. Given the injuries and Devin Smith's lack of game experience (any game experience) I'd guess we'll finally see a little more of Kerley this weekend

Agreed 100%.  It is a nice change.  I just think he can add a nice dynamic to a passing game that has only completed passes to 3 different actual WR's.  Owusu had over 50 snaps and zero catches last game.  He's also had 9 targets and only 4 grabs.  It's all just a little confusing to me.  But, like you said, these guys are seeing something, rolling with it but keeping a back up plan.  It's nice.   

He did catch the Bob Hayes.  What do you kids call it these days?  Bubble screen?  It got called back.  FWIW, I think the others were either intended throw aways deep or just stretch the field routes.  I guess they like his blocking.  I thought Kerley had played a decent amount on the outside his first few years, but I guess not.

Is anybody concerned about how hard they are riding Marshall?  I know he isn't a running back, but 100% of the snaps?  He is an older guy who missed time last season. I'd have expected a bit of a pitch count deal, but they seem like they are saddling up for him to carry the O.  With Decker and Ivory dinged they might have to.

Smith we surely be active this week with Owusu out and Decker questionable.  I wonder if Stacy will be active too.  He was last week, so I would guess a straight Owusu for Smith swap on the inactive list.  Walls is still dinged up

He did catch the Bob Hayes.  What do you kids call it these days?  Bubble screen?  It got called back.  FWIW, I think the others were either intended throw aways deep or just stretch the field routes.  I guess they like his blocking.  I thought Kerley had played a decent amount on the outside his first few years, but I guess not.

Is anybody concerned about how hard they are riding Marshall?  I know he isn't a running back, but 100% of the snaps?  He is an older guy who missed time last season. I'd have expected a bit of a pitch count deal, but they seem like they are saddling up for him to carry the O.  With Decker and Ivory dinged they might have to.

Smith we surely be active this week with Owusu out and Decker questionable.  I wonder if Stacy will be active too.  He was last week, so I would guess a straight Owusu for Smith swap on the inactive list.  Walls is still dinged up

Dude, Bob Hayes is a legend in Jax (born, raised and died here) but I had no idea you were referring to the bubble screen when referencing him.  haha  And you're right, a few of those "safe" deep throws in the zone were technically intended for Owusu.

And I get the blocking aspect but Kerley played a lot of snaps on very good running teams so I dont get the overall concern there and it doesnt apply when they're going 4 and 5 wide and obviously passing.  He's still not in the game which just for me, doesnt make sense.

Marshall takes incredible care of his body (granted he was banged up all last year) but I'm not overly concerned about it.  And he's 31 but doesnt look like he's lost a step, so I dont think age is that big of a factor. 

Edited by JiF

Dude, Bob Hayes is a legend in Jax (born, raised and died here) but I had no idea you were referring to the bubble screen when referencing him.  haha  And you're right, a few of those "safe" deep throws in the zone were technically intended for Owusu.

And I get the blocking aspect but Kerley played a lot of snaps on very good running teams so I dont get the overall concern there and it doesnt apply when they're going 4 and 5 wide and obviously passing.  He's still not in the game which just for me, doesnt make sense.

Marshall takes incredible care of his body (granted he was banged up all last year) but I'm not overly concerned about it.  And he's 31 but doesnt look like he's lost a step, so I dont think age is that big of a factor. 

Bob Hayes was before my time, but when my Dad taught us the game he used to call WR screen passes "Bob Hayes plays"  My Dad was a rocket, so I guess he really liked them.  When I was coming up nobody remembered Bob Hayes so me and my buddies could look at a CB playing off and just ask for a Bob Hayes while we were lined up and the other team wouldn't know what we were talking about. 

Weird thing about the blocking is that I would think it is more of a factor in the slot.  If he is out wide, all you have to do is keep the CB from disrupting the play.  It is the slot and h-back that Gailey has doing a bunch of wham blocking.

Bob Hayes was before my time, but when my Dad taught us the game he used to call WR screen passes "Bob Hayes plays"  My Dad was a rocket, so I guess he really liked them.  When I was coming up nobody remembered Bob Hayes so me and my buddies could look at a CB playing off and just ask for a Bob Hayes while we were lined up and the other team wouldn't know what we were talking about. 

Weird thing about the blocking is that I would think it is more of a factor in the slot.  If he is out wide, all you have to do is keep the CB from disrupting the play.  It is the slot and h-back that Gailey has doing a bunch of wham blocking.

My pops says Hayes changed the game but like you said, he was before my time.

Yep and Kerley played a lot outside.  Hey, it's all working but definitely interesting how he's just an after thought. 

The Eagles secondary has been rather abysmal thus far. Losing Decker hurts but we have depth at the position and injuries ALWAYS happen as the season progresses. We're lucky he's not out all year and it would be stupid to rush him back, he said so himself. Jets still match up well against the Eagles secondary - Kerley, Enunwa, Smith as a decoy is sufficient. We need to establish the run and having Marshall, Enunwa, Bihannon will help us do that adequately. The keys are Time of possession and limiting Kelley's Offense time on the field so they don't attempt to gas our defense.

It's a home game and the crowd MUST GIVE US A HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. The run game has to be better than what it was on MNF. I'm excited to see how these 2015 Bowles Jets respond after a great national upset and to a desperate team that MUST win to remain relevant. 

Eric Decker exploded during the first half of the New York Jets victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Monday, but he later exited the game due to a knee injury.

According to Darryl Slater of NJ Advance Media, head coach Todd Bowles is hopeful Decker will return but isn’t sure the receiver will be available against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Todd Bowles says Eric Decker is day to day with a sprained knee. Bowles isn't sure if Decker will be able to play vs. Eagles. "Hopeful."

— Darryl Slater (@DarrylSlater) September 22, 2015

If Decker isn’t ready for Sunday afternoon’s matchup, it’d be a disappointment for the Jets offense that has played reasonably well with veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

Additionally, Fitzpatrick found a groove Monday night by throwing at the playmakers more often. Decker—who racked up his eight receptions, 97 yards and one touchdown before halftime—recorded 11 targets and Brandon Marshall added 10.

Fortunately for New York, the Eagles secondary hasn’t exactly been an elite unit. The Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys combined for a 70.6 completion percentage and three touchdowns.

If Decker isn’t available, Brandon Marshall will take an even larger role. But should Decker be ready for Sunday’s outing, Philadelphia’s D-backs probably won’t have an enjoyable outing for yet another week.

Could be a move by Todd Bowles not to confirm Decker in order to interrupt Philly's game planning. 

This is why they Kept Kerley. Owusu, even though this is a different injury, has been a long shot to make it through the whole season with his history. IMO this shows to what degree the Jets are actually thinking ahead. They have a young multi year starter with some legitimate success on his resume waiting in the wings to be next man up. On top of that Kerley knows this is his opportunity to show the new staff that he can positively impact the game. 

Not a bad back up plan here. 

BTW, that's one hell of a Steel Inquisitor pic.  Where'd you get it?