If Fitz Keeps His Job, would Jets replace Geno with new backup?

Lizard King

If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part Ways w/Geno?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part W/Geno

• Yes, Geno gone, Jets trade for/pickup backup
    • Geno is Kept on Roster

Let's assume that Bowles is being forthright about not changing the QB if they are having success - and that seems like a reasonable assumption given that this front office seems to play their personnel based on merit. 

Easy question for someone to ask would then be, do the Jets have to trade or release Geno Smith?

The reason for his separation from the locker room would be for harmony and prevention of discord. It's a pretty common tactic when you're talking about unifying an organization and I think it may be considered. 

Let me know what you think. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't want to have to play Petty. Geno is an inexpensive backup with starting experience. He's not worth enough on the trade market right now, though, to trade him. But he's still too valuable to outright cut. 

You have to keep Geno otherwise the Jets are 1 play away from Bryce Petty starting.  I trust Bowles and this locker room to not let Geno become a distraction.

Not sure how much more of a distraction Geno can be compared to him getting his jaw broken as the starter.  Pretty sure his distraction value has dropped since then.

Fitz is not the long term answer. There will be likely another QB competition next year and Geno will be part of it, IMO. Smith's trade value now is minimal and I can't see him being cut.

Thru two weeks, Fitz has quieted his detractors. And if he can maintain his current numbers (>60% comp, >7 ypa, 2:1 TD:int), he'll comfortably go into next year as the starter. Especially if this team makes it to the post season this year. Then it's a done deal. 

Otherwise, yes, I agree. I think it'll be a wide open competition next year, and that Geno will a be part of it. 

Depends on when and how Fitz were to go down. If a game or two, it's Geno. If Fitz is projected to miss significant time and Jets are still in the hunt, the team will bring in an experienced game manager type to start over Geno.

Oh yes, those guys are just all over the place ready to step in and play for any team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a backup, nobody is expecting the same level of play. A working grasp offense can be learned in a span of 2-3 weeks. So to trade or cut next week, wouldn't be much of an issue. 

Who's out there to bring in? Think about it. They had Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson in here, and let them walk. I understand that people hate Geno, but he's still the best option for this team as a backup for this year. 

Who's out there to bring in? Think about it. They had Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson in here, and let them walk. I understand that people hate Geno, but he's still the best option for this team as a backup for this year. 

Fair, but as Flynn goes, that was before the Fitzsurgence. 

Depends on when and how Fitz were to go down. If a game or two, it's Geno. If Fitz is projected to miss significant time and Jets are still in the hunt, the team will bring in an experienced game manager type to start over Geno.

:face:

No. You start the guy on your roster that knows the system. 

I know you harbor an irrational hate for Geno like he kicked your dog or something but at least try to employ common sense. 

Not sure how much more of a distraction Geno can be compared to him getting his jaw broken as the starter.  Pretty sure his distraction value has dropped since then.

Totally agree. As long as Fitz stays healthy and plays fairly consistantly, I doubt Geno will be any distraction. The problem will arise if/when he has to play.Based on everything that we've learned about the IK fiasco, from the lack of players trying to stop the confrontation in the locker room, to the lack of anybody but Marshall coming to his defense, it seems the team has lost any respect that they may have had for him. It would be hard to play for a guy like that. I do agree that Geno will be here next year for camp, and will be given a fair shot.

what happens when we lose a game and Fitz throws 2 picks?  you know the questions will come.  

Luck has lost two games and thrown a number of interceptions. No one in Indy is clamoring for Hasselback. Why? For the same reason no one will be clamoring for Geno. The starter is better and the back up is the back up for a reason. I don't expect the Jets to go 16-0 and no one else should either.

I know you harbor an irrational hate for Geno like he kicked your dog or something but at least try to employ common sense. 

Just making a prediction, that's all.  If anyone is showing an irrational response, it isn't me. It would be kinda similar to bringing Vinny back in '05, and yes I know 2 QBs went down in that situation.

I imagine that will happen a few times this year.  Every QB and every coach deals with that.  We would have to go on a few game slide with bad QB play before he pulls the trigger. 

that's what i was saying about geno being a distraction.  i think they should keep him as a cheap back up with experience despite this potential distraction.  i trust bowles to deal with it.  

Luck has lost two games and thrown a number of interceptions. No one in Indy is clamoring for Hasselback. Why? For the same reason no one will be clamoring for Geno. The starter is better and the back up is the back up for a reason. I don't expect the Jets to go 16-0 and no one else should either.

Well, Luck didn't win the job due to injury. Fitz did. Geno is the backup because he got injured, otherwise he'd be the starter right now. It'll much MUCH easier for us to go from Fitz back to Geno, than for the Colts to go from Luck to anyone else.

that's what i was saying about geno being a distraction.  i think they should keep him as a cheap back up with experience despite this potential distraction.  i trust bowles to deal with it.  

I agree he is a reasonable back up.  I just think he maxed out on his ability to distract.  Everybody has seen it already. He pouts, he is not focused, he can;t tell time, he doesn;t pay his debts and he can't take a punch.  Nothing new.  Nobody cares and nobody is paying attention to him but the media.  This team seems pretty dialed in right now.  They see what though limited QB a veteran mature signal caller can do.  Fitz is a leader, Geno is not.  Geno has a lot of catch up to do before anybody cares what he does.

Fitz is not the long term answer. There will be likely another QB competition next year and Geno will be part of it, IMO. Smith's trade value now is minimal and I can't see him being cut.

Man. You're sitting here fantasizing about Geno sticking around and giving Fitz the boot when we're off to such a nice start - are you allergic to improved quarterbacking? 

No because Geno is on his rookie contract through 2016. The team doesn't trade him away unless they get an offer they can't refuse or Geno is such a cancer to the team that it would be more valuable to lose money than to keep him on the roster. I don't see either happening. Unless we are deep in the playoffs this year I don't see Fitz having a lock on the starting position either. If the team wants to extend Geno then he'll have the worst negotiation position after this season. He would be easy to trade away to a team looking for a backup over the offseason provided we have a plan for a starter and backup. Fitz is at least one of those. Not sure the coaching staff will feel Petty is ready for either next year.

Makes no sense to trade Geno now.  His status will be assessed in the offseason, depending on the following:

1.  Do we keep Fitzpatrick?  He is only signed thru the end of this season.

2.  Does Bryce Petty show improvement in practice?  If so, there might only be a need to carry 2 QB's on the gameday roster next year, making Geno expendable.

3.  Do we draft/sign any more QB's?  I certainly hope so.  We should be heavily invested in the QB market this offseason.

4.  Will the team consider Geno's presence on the roster a distraction?  Depends heavily on how Geno behaves/performs the remainder of this season as the backup (or, if Fitz struggles heavily or gets hurt, as the replacement off the bench).

Geno's contract doesn't expire until 2016, and he's relatively cheap.  His cap number is just $1.6M next season.  While sort of on the "high end" for backup QB's, it's not nearly the highest.  Ryan Mallett, by comparison, is due to count $3.5M against the cap next season.  Mark Sanchez is due to count for $5.5M next season. 

However, if the end result of all of the above is that Geno is # 3 or 4 on the depth chart, then yes, at that point he can probably be safely let go.  It'll be the best thing for us AND him, since he obviously wants to be able to compete for a starting job somewhere. 

Based on everything that we've learned about the IK fiasco, from the lack of players trying to stop the confrontation in the locker room, to the lack of anybody but Marshall coming to his defense, it seems the team has lost any respect that they may have had for him. It would be hard to play for a guy like that. 

Respect in the NFL seems 100% correlated to winning. If Geno is put out there and he wins games, he'll get the respect.  If he crashes the Porsche, he won't...

who also was outplaying Fitz during camp.  Why would anyone go out and get a scrub who doesn't know the system to come in and replace the QB who if not for getting punched would be starting today?  

who also was outplaying Fitz during camp.  Why would anyone go out and get a scrub who doesn't know the system to come in and replace the QB who if not for getting punched would be starting today?  

Might have been starting the first couple games but with Geno starting we probably lose both games and Fitz comes in to resuscitate an 0-2 season and Geno still isn't the starter today.

You cannot make a logistical argument for cutting Geno right now.  I feel silly for even voting.

We're in a great situation.  Keep rolling with Fitz and if he stumbled or the O goes in the tank, you can see if Geno can spark something.  This is a no-brainer.

Petty gets to compete next year.  He's not in the discussion right now.

Archived