If Fitz Keeps His Job, would Jets replace Geno with new backup?

Lizard King

If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part Ways w/Geno?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part W/Geno

• Yes, Geno gone, Jets trade for/pickup backup
    • Geno is Kept on Roster

who also was outplaying Fitz during camp.  Why would anyone go out and get a scrub who doesn't know the system to come in and replace the QB who if not for getting punched would be starting today?  

Because there are vets out there better than the backups on roster who either (1) don't want to be a backup but will step in and start or who are (2) too expensive at vet minimum to have as a backup but becomes worth it if they will be starting

professor4.png

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because there are vets out there better than the backups on roster who either (1) don't want to be a backup but will step in and start or who are (2) too expensive at vet minimum to have as a backup but becomes worth it if they will be starting

Who? 

How short would the short list be for teams willing to trade for Geno? I'd really love to see someone's.

There's always someone desperate enough.  The Cowboys just traded for Matt Cassel for pete's sake.  We just don't happen to have him on the trade block, and rightfully so.  There's no reason to get rid of him for a conditional 5th-7th rounder (whatever his value would be).  Especially since, when he's healthy enough, he'll be able to provide a buffer between Fitz and Petty (who we don't really want to have to see taking any significant snaps for us this year).

Man. You're sitting here fantasizing about Geno sticking around and giving Fitz the boot when we're off to such a nice start - are you allergic to improved quarterbacking? 

No, I'm being realistic about Fitz's age and contact situation. I'm pretty sure he's on a one year contract. I'm also being realistic about about Geno still being on his rookie contract next year and that he's probably going to compete with Petty for the job. Hopefully he loses the competition.

Not this year.  Given the fact that he knows the system, he's the best insurance policy right now.  If Fitz throws for over 3000 yds and keeps up with the 2:1 TD/INT Ratio, Geno's gone after the season.  Given what we've seen from Bowles so far, he has to have lost a lot of trust in Geno. I really think the team would have cut Geno, along with Ike, if he played another position. 

No, I'm being realistic about Fitz's age and contact situation. I'm pretty sure he's on a one year contract. I'm also being realistic about about Geno still being on his rookie contract next year and that he's probably going to compete with Petty for the job. Hopefully he loses the competition.

It's too early for me to be completely sold, but Fitz is two years younger than Gannon was when he started with the Raiders, and five years younger than when Gannon got the Raiders to the Super Bowl. If Fitz can maintain this level of play thru the bad weather, and get the team into the post season, his age and his contract will not stop the Jets from locking him up as their starter for next season. 

I will be excoriated for this, perhaps rightfully so, but I've always thought Kyle Orton was criminally underrated. Kind of similar careers to Fitz, actually.

Pretty short list. I like Orton okay, but don't think he's available. He walked away from money and the starter's job in Buffalo. I think he's done. Anyone else? 

I will be excoriated for this, perhaps rightfully so, but I've always thought Kyle Orton was criminally underrated. Kind of similar careers to Fitz, actually.

Brandon  Marshalls favorite QB.. 101 tds and 69 picks a winning record as a QB no excoriation needed he was good..;) 

It's too early for me to be completely sold, but Fitz is two years younger than Gannon was when he started with the Raiders, and five years younger than when Gannon got the Raiders to the Super Bowl. If Fitz can maintain this level of play thru the bad weather, and get the team into the post season, his age and his contract will not stop the Jets from locking him up as their starter for next season. 

Pretty short list. I like Orton okay, but don't think he's available. He walked away from money and the starter's job in Buffalo. I think he's done. Anyone else? 

I think he'd be available for a playoff contender, but who knows, he did seem adamant on being done. There are rumors today that Cowboys were thinking of bringing him back and reached out but he declined. So who knows. A lot might depend on situation and timing. If Jets were 10-1 when Fitz goes down he might be a lot more inclined to give it one last go for a shot at a ring. He was an example anyway. I trust Mac a lot more than me to find someone. 

Might have been starting the first couple games but with Geno starting we probably lose both games and Fitz comes in to resuscitate an 0-2 season and Geno still isn't the starter today.

you also see dead people?  What will you say if Fitz loses two games and they go to Geno? 

professor4.png

there isn't a vet out there that gives the Jets a better chance than if they put Geno back at QB.  No one has both the physical tools and knowledge of the offense that Geno does.  GMs and coaches take things like that into account, not that fans hate a hate a player.  Any cartoon character knows this. 

there isn't a vet out there that gives the Jets a better chance than if they put Geno back at QB.  No one has both the physical tools and knowledge of the offense that Geno does.  GMs and coaches take things like that into account, not that fans hate a hate a player.  Any cartoon character knows this. 

Yeah we'll just have to disagree. I stand by my prediction if Fitz is hurt and Jets appear playoff-bound

I think he'd be available for a playoff contender, but who knows, he did seem adamant on being done. There are rumors today that Cowboys were thinking of bringing him back and reached out but he declined. So who knows. A lot might depend on situation and timing. If Jets were 10-1 when Fitz goes down he might be a lot more inclined to give it one last go for a shot at a ring. He was an example anyway. I trust Mac a lot more than me to find someone. 

Orton turned down the Cowboys and he knows their offense. 

True but there is also bad blood there.

Let it go. 

I honestly don't care what you think but whether you choose to believe it or not, 31 out of 32 teams would prefer Geno Smith to Kyle Orton at this particular point in time. 

Orton is a mediocre player who is retired. Geno Smith is 24 years old. 

The Cowboys may be the only team that would value Orton over Smith and that is because he knows their system. If he didn't they would take Geno too.  

Let it go. 

I honestly don't care what you think but whether you choose to believe it or not, 31 out of 32 teams would prefer Geno Smith to Kyle Orton at this particular point in time. 

Orton is a mediocre player who is retired. Geno Smith is 24 years old. 

The Cowboys may be the only team that would value Orton over Smith and that is because he knows their system. If he didn't they would take Geno too.  

I choose not to let it go. Sorry that hurts you so much.

Luck has lost two games and thrown a number of interceptions. No one in Indy is clamoring for Hasselback. Why? For the same reason no one will be clamoring for Geno. The starter is better and the back up is the back up for a reason. I don't expect the Jets to go 16-0 and no one else should either.

Except you really cannot say that. The Jets coaching staff thought Geno was better and every report from camp up until he got his jaw broke stated Geno was outplaying Fitz. Fitz is the starter, but he does not have an endless leash.

Luck has lost two games and thrown a number of interceptions. No one in Indy is clamoring for Hasselback. Why? For the same reason no one will be clamoring for Geno. The starter is better and the back up is the back up for a reason. I don't expect the Jets to go 16-0 and no one else should either.

Youre conflating NY fans and Midwest fans. They're not clamoring for Luck's backup because they aren't certifiably insane. NY fans on the other hand...

Let's assume that Bowles is being forthright about not changing the QB if they are having success - and that seems like a reasonable assumption given that this front office seems to play their personnel based on merit. 

Easy question for someone to ask would then be, do the Jets have to trade or release Geno Smith?

The reason for his separation from the locker room would be for harmony and prevention of discord. It's a pretty common tactic when you're talking about unifying an organization and I think it may be considered. 

Let me know what you think. 

I'd say it all depends on Geno Smith. We can afford him. If Geno isnt really showing promise in practice then they would probably have to release him. But with all things being fair, Geno didnt lose the starting role by being outplayed, by reports he was actually the better looking QB on the field and received most of the 1st team snaps because of it. If with the current circumstance you have a guy who could easily have been the "better" starter on your team as your back up because Fitz isnt losing the job by poor performance/bad record then of course you keep Geno Smith because you're looking at a scenario where you will most likely not miss beat or even be better on offense if Fitz gets hurt this year. 

As for next year they will probably have another QB battle because Fitz originally was the back up and he's playing on his final year of his deal if im correct. If Fitz puts up the numbers that he's currently projected to put up he's going to get paid next year. In a situation like that you want to keep Geno around with Petty as the #2 and probably bring in a vet that can compete with Petty while Geno takes over the reigns from Fitz. 

You dont cut Geno because of poor performance with another regime. From all accounts Geno was coming along rather well before he decided to bully a monster out of $600. 

Geno started for two seasons and was the worst ranked starting QB in the NFL in each of them

Why would anyone want to see Browning Nagle Jr on the field again for the Jets EVER???

Leave Petty where he is backing up and learning from a legit NFL QB

Leave Smith inactive and punch his ticket out of here at the end of the season

They keep Geno who knows the playbook as opposed to bringing in another QB who would have to learn and get no snaps with our starters. Only way Geno gets traded is if another team offered something insane like a first round pick for him (not happening). I think there is a good possibility though that Geno finds a new team next season.

what happens when we lose a game and Fitz throws 2 picks?  you know the questions will come.  

Geno does that every game so whats yer point ? :P

Well, Luck didn't win the job due to injury. Fitz did. Geno is the backup because he got injured, otherwise he'd be the starter right now. It'll much MUCH easier for us to go from Fitz back to Geno, than for the Colts to go from Luck to anyone else.

And we would have been flirting with 0-2

Geno started for two seasons and was the worst ranked starting QB in the NFL in each of them

Why would anyone want to see Browning Nagle Jr on the field again for the Jets EVER???

Leave Petty where he is backing up and learning from a legit NFL QB

Leave Smith inactive and punch his ticket out of here at the end of the season

THIS !!

I'd say it all depends on Geno Smith. We can afford him. If Geno isnt really showing promise in practice then they would probably have to release him. But with all things being fair, Geno didnt lose the starting role by being outplayed, by reports he was actually the better looking QB on the field and received most of the 1st team snaps because of it. If with the current circumstance you have a guy who could easily have been the "better" starter on your team as your back up because Fitz isnt losing the job by poor performance/bad record then of course you keep Geno Smith because you're looking at a scenario where you will most likely not miss beat or even be better on offense if Fitz gets hurt this year. 

As for next year they will probably have another QB battle because Fitz originally was the back up and he's playing on his final year of his deal if im correct. If Fitz puts up the numbers that he's currently projected to put up he's going to get paid next year. In a situation like that you want to keep Geno around with Petty as the #2 and probably bring in a vet that can compete with Petty while Geno takes over the reigns from Fitz. 

You dont cut Geno because of poor performance with another regime. From all accounts Geno was coming along rather well before he decided to bully a monster out of $600. 

I didn't read Villain's post but, to summarize, get Mike Glennon at any cost!!

Archived