Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

I would not say he looked soft, I think he needs to learn some technique to get himself in better position, but the throws by Fitz were bad, short and inside and did not have much chance to fight it other than outright fouling and that is not a thing a rookie is going to do. Not a "wow" first day but solid in my view, he ran a few nice underneath routes too.

Exactly.  He wasn't soft at all.  Those throws were atrocious.  They weren't 50-50 balls that you could fight for.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly.  He wasn't soft at all.  Those throws were atrocious.  They weren't 50-50 balls that you could fight for.

Yeah Fitz was very bad on those throws. You do not pass to a burner in a line trying to sneak it by the defender. You need to rainbow it down into the breadbasket. Not sure if it's lack of ability, lack of chemistry, or just an off night. Guess we'll find out next week.

a) ya there were times it appeared he didnt 'fight' for ball, BUT, Fitz's knock has ALWAYS been his lack of 1-deep arm and 2-deep throw trajectory, too straight, not high arcing..

Smith was open several times and either he slowed down for ball of it came on a straight line where he had to fight for it.....if the ball had been thrown for him to 'catch up' to, he would have had 2 bomb TDs

Naw he's a bust, we should bench Fitz, trade for Tyrod Taylor, cut Kerley, promote Powell from practice squad and run pure wildcat rest of year. #overreaction

I know this was obviously a joke but if you were going to run pure wildcat you probably want to keep Kerley he would be scary in the wildcat with Tyrod.

EYou watch the wrong game? or did Enunwa, Kerley, Devin Smith and Cumberland get their positions changed to RB?

yes, I saw an occasional pass to those fellas after captain check down threw 3-4 passes 5 yards or less.. did he not just throw 58 passes for under 300 yards?

as I continue to watch sh*tty deep ball after sh*tty deep ball today...Fitz is officially a sh*tty deep ball thrower...as I f'n said..

Okay - I gotta give it to you. Every ball thrown to Smith was short. Smith had to come back for every pass and try to catch it thru the CB instead of being led. I REALLY noticed that yesterday

Okay - I gotta give it to you. Every ball thrown to Smith was short. Smith had to come back for every pass and try to catch it thru the CB instead of being led. I REALLY noticed that yesterday

dId you notice every CB lining up on the inside of Smith leaving the deep ball open towards the sideline knowing Fitz couldn't make that throw?  

Please God never again Geno but with that said, I thought Devin Smith was NFL-open all day long and our evaluation of his debut would have been quite different if Fitzpatrick had not under thrown him on deep balls every single time. 

Not knocking Fitz, legit question.  Does Fitz have the ability to take advantage of Smith's speed?  

Devin has some great highlight videos.  The one constant though is a QB launching the ball.

Well think I have my answer now.  Not the answer I wanted but good to know.

Devin has gotta be pissed his QB won't be able to get him the ball.

dId you notice every CB lining up on the inside of Smith leaving the deep ball open towards the sideline knowing Fitz couldn't make that throw?  

Did you notice that when some of us said the exact same thing I was killed by those who said the pick was Smiths fault?  

I put the blame on them equally, poorly thrown ball but Devin Smith made zero adjustment to come back to the ball. 

remember, one i sa rookie, so agree he didnt adjust/fight hard enuf, he is rook, that can be fixed,,I dont think Fitz has arm for kid as fast as Devin for deep routes..Maybe Fitz needs to throw the ball sooner on smith deep routes so it doesnt have to travel as far?

remember, one i sa rookie, so agree he didnt adjust/fight hard enuf, he is rook, that can be fixed,,I dont think Fitz has arm for kid as fast as Devin for deep routes..Maybe Fitz needs to throw the ball sooner on smith deep routes so it doesnt have to travel as far?

Now that's a scary thought.  Most CBs aren't exactly slow, so it can take 20-30yds to get the step on 'em.  Plus I'd imagine you'd usually want to wait to read the safety to make sure he can't get there in time over-the-top which takes some time.

Which adds up to needing to be able to throw consistently 50yds or so w/o it being a hail mary.  Seems like with Fitz, if a ball needs to travel more than 30yds, he's floating it and praying.  The thought of doing that once the weather gets bad is even scarier.

Did you notice that when some of us said the exact same thing I was killed by those who said the pick was Smiths fault?  

Those are probably the same dip sh!ts that said Fitz had one of the best deep balls in the NFL...as Kerley has to make a one handed Beckham play on a 12 yard sideline pass that was thrown like a hail mary...

Now that's a scary thought.  Most CBs aren't exactly slow, so it can take 20-3yds to get the step on 'em.  Plus I'd imagine you'd usually want to wait to read the safety to make sure he can't get there in time over-the-top which takes some time.

Which adds up to needing to be able to throw consistently 50yds or so w/o it being a hail mary.  Seems like with Fitz, if a ball needs to travel more than 30yds, he's floating it and praying.  The thought of doing that once the weather gets bad is even scarier.

They also usually are playing 5-10 yards off the line.  

Those are probably the same dip sh!ts that said Fitz had one of the best deep balls in the NFL...as Kerley has to make a one handed Beckham play on a 12 yard sideline pass that was thrown like a hail mary...

The argument was stupid on every level.  Wasn't Fitz's fault for throwing the shltty pass, it was Smiths fault he couldnt get a hand in there to break up the INT. 

Yeah Fitz was very bad on those throws. You do not pass to a burner in a line trying to sneak it by the defender. You need to rainbow it down into the breadbasket. Not sure if it's lack of ability, lack of chemistry, or just an off night. Guess we'll find out next week.

And let's be honest.  He should have had at least one TD.  Fitzpatrick missed him by a mile in the back of the endzone. 

He tried to reach back, couldnt get the ball out.

Not his fault.

He reached back at the last second to try to get a hand on it.. He needs to completely adjust his body, he just kept running instead of slowing down and trying to come back to the ball. He was expecting the ball to drop in his basket. 

Again, poor throw by Fitz. We've seen from the past 3 games how much he struggles with those deep throws, they're not accurate.

Please God never again Geno but with that said, I thought Devin Smith was NFL-open all day long and our evaluation of his debut would have been quite different if Fitzpatrick had not under thrown him on deep balls every single time. 

Agree that he was open but the safeties didn't have to help out as much knowing our QB couldn't make the throw.  Get a QB with an arm and the coverage would change.

He reached back at the last second to try to get a hand on it.. He needs to completely adjust his body, he just kept running instead of slowing down and trying to come back to the ball. He was expecting the ball to drop in his basket. 

Again, poor throw by Fitz. We've seen from the past 3 games how much he struggles with those deep throws, they're not accurate.

He's trying to make the catch first, he's not a db, its on Fitz 

I stole this from another site.  One of those bombs could have easily been a TD.

The last shot is a shot of Julio Jones' game winning 40 yard TD on a go-rout last week.  That's separation in the NFL, folks. 

9930971.jpg

5630145.jpg

4116586.jpg

This play happened in the end zone corner where I sit. When the ball was thrown, I thought we had the TD. Smith clearly had a step or two on the CB. When everyone in the crowd stood up, it blocked my view for a sec, and I missed the INT. Couldn't believe it.. well, I could.. but yeah, should've been a TD pass.

This play happened in the end zone corner where I sit. When the ball was thrown, I thought we had the TD. Smith clearly had a step or two on the CB. When everyone in the crowd stood up, it blocked my view for a sec, and I missed the INT. Couldn't believe it.. well, I could.. but yeah, should've been a TD pass.

Exactly!  Not going to name names, but one of the posters in this thread is a fool.  Devin Smith is a true burner.  Put the ball in front of him and he will go get it.

really disappointed in smith.  yes he missed mini-camp, training camp, and only had 2 weeks of practice, but damn son when the ball is under-thrown you have to become the DB and knock it down

its just really sad tho to have a one trick pony WR whose one trick is the one thing the QB can't do.  he isn't even worth it as a decoy.  he needs about 4 weeks before he can contribute

You have got to be kidding.... So it is his fault that they told him to run go routes most of the game and the cornerbacks were prepared for it?  You realize that he beat his man on on several occasions and Fitz under threw the ball and also threw to the wrong shoulder?  He did the same thing last week on the Marshall Int.  Did you notice that he was wide open in the end zone and Fitz made a horrible pass?  Or that once they shortened his routes he was open on several occasions but Fitz was hell bent to get the ball to Marshall?   You know what is really sad? How reactionary and clueless you are coming across in this post.   

I stole this from another site.  One of those bombs could have easily been a TD.

The last shot is a shot of Julio Jones' game winning 40 yard TD on a go-route last week.  That's separation in the NFL, folks. 

9930971.jpg

5630145.jpg

4116586.jpg

Disappointing to say the least.  Gonna start bracing myself now for the thread breaking down the passing offense this week.  Last week wasn't pretty.  This week?  Almost scared to see it.

Gotta get this fixed.  Jets haven't had many offensive weapons lately.  Can't let Devin go to waste.

Disappointing to say the least.  Gonna start bracing myself now for the thread breaking down the passing offense this week.  Last week wasn't pretty.  This week?  Almost scared to see it.

Gotta get this fixed.  Jets haven't had many offensive weapons lately.  Can't let Devin go to waste.

Not only is Devin a burner, he has great ability to track the ball in the air.

Decker is good for a few bombs a season, too.  

Yes; that was 100% on Fitz.  He has GOT to get the ball down the field better on his deep throws are Geno will be back after the bye week. 

And let's be honest.  He should have had at least one TD.  Fitzpatrick missed him by a mile in the back of the endzone. 

Agreed; how ANYONE can criticize Smith in his first NFL action including preseason, is absolutely nuts.  He was open on multiple occasions and Fitz just couldn't get him the ball. 

Archived