Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

You know who he reminded me of today.....Dedric Ward.

Fast (on paper), not fast as all that on the field (never blew past anyone really), and soft on the end fighting for the ball.

But it was hist first game, not going to judge him long term on that.  We'll see how he develops throughout this year.

Wasn't Ward an indoor track star or something like that?

No argument from me about him not showing that type of super-sprinter speed on the field. Not the worst receiver we've ever had, but nothing special at all.

It might be a little early to label Smith as Dedric Ward II. I'd give him some more time. Lots of guys are apprehensive or get butterflies when they're less-experienced and less-sure of themselves. Hopefully it's just that, and that after a handful of games we see something more (including fighting for that ball a little more). He did run himself wide open in the endzone. Not his fault Fitz totally missed him. Could be that he was plenty open other times as well and the ball just wasn't thrown his way.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's trying to make the catch first, he's not a db, its on Fitz 

The ball was short and thats on Fitz but Smith made no adjustment to that. We see receivers make adjustments on deep balls in NFL all the time. They slow down & jump in front of the DB. Smith got pushed closer to out of bounds on that play and that should not happen. 

If the ball was thrown further in front, yes it's a TD. 

The ball was short and thats on Fitz but Smith made no adjustment to that. We see receivers make adjustments on deep balls in NFL all the time. They slow down & jump in front of the DB. Smith got pushed closer to out of bounds on that play and that should not happen. 

He's running the sideline and the ball was thrown inside of the cb who had inside position.  He wasnt jumping in front of anyone without going through him.  While trying to catch the ball.  Hard to blame him for Fitz shltty pass.  Agree totally, Fitz puts it in front or off his back shoulder its a TD

He's running the sideline and the ball was thrown inside of the cb who had inside position.  He wasnt jumping in front of anyone without going through him.  While trying to catch the ball.  Hard to blame him for Fitz shltty pass.  Agree totally, Fitz puts it in front or off his back shoulder its a TD

the ball was thrown directly to the db. he seems to underthrow the longer ones for some reason, even though it looks like he could get more on it if he tried.  

the ball was thrown directly to the db. he seems to underthrow the longer ones for some reason, even though it looks like he could get more on it if he tried.  

Exactly.  But some are blaming Smith.  Some are even trying to tell us that he didn't get open, didnt show any speed.  

remember, one i sa rookie, so agree he didnt adjust/fight hard enuf, he is rook, that can be fixed,,I dont think Fitz has arm for kid as fast as Devin for deep routes..Maybe Fitz needs to throw the ball sooner on smith deep routes so it doesnt have to travel as far?

1) he doesnt have the arm...no doubt and not even a question

2) throwing the ball sooner doesn't let Fitz trust his eyes...he throws it hoping he read the defense correctly and the safety will be where he anticipates, not where he is going after the ball is snapped.  Fitz often makes pre-defined throws...both throws to Smith deep and many of the balls to Marshall were evidence of this...not sure having a lolipop arm helps when making pre-defined throws...

You have got to be kidding.... So it is his fault that they told him to run go routes most of the game and the cornerbacks were prepared for it?  You realize that he beat his man on on several occasions and Fitz under threw the ball and also threw to the wrong shoulder?  He did the same thing last week on the Marshall Int.  Did you notice that he was wide open in the end zone and Fitz made a horrible pass?  Or that once they shortened his routes he was open on several occasions but Fitz was hell bent to get the ball to Marshall?   You know what is really sad? How reactionary and clueless you are coming across in this post.   

the kid showed no fight, hustle or balls.  I don't blame everything on the QB.  He wasn't anywhere near ready. He is waaay behind everyone.  But as Michael Irvin says, when the ball is in the air, you treat it like a million bucks.  Did he fight for those balls like they were a million bucks ?

nope.

the kid showed no fight, hustle or balls.  I don't blame everything on the QB.  He wasn't anywhere near ready. He is waaay behind everyone.  But as Michael Irvin says, when the ball is in the air, you treat it like a million bucks.  Did he fight for those balls like they were a million bucks ?

nope.

That is your opinion and a very uninformed one at that. He showed plenty of fight to me, sorry he isn't able to snatch the under thrown balls from out of the defenders hands like Marshall did.  The fact that on both plays he had to SLOW DOWN AND REACH BACK FOR THE BALL, doesn't seem to factor in your thinking.  But the QB is not to blame; of course not.  Lets blame the rookie.... smdh.   

I don't understand why it is so hard for some folks to see this.  

I don't understand why it is so hard for some folks to see this.  

Because they're so deep in the Fitz is my guy, I hate Geno camp and are scared shlt that ther might be a change? 

There are people selling that Fitzs INTs Arendt from poor decisions or passes.  Wish they would then give me he same stupid excuses when talking about Geno.  Then again they're selling 6 TDs and 5 INTs are so much better than 13-13. Or that 13 over 12 is a INT machine and 5 over 3 is better. 

Because they're so deep in the Fitz is my guy, I hate Geno camp and are scared shlt that ther might be a change? 

There are people selling that Fitzs INTs Arendt from poor decisions or passes.  Wish they would then give me he same stupid excuses when talking about Geno.  Then again they're selling 6 TDs and 5 INTs are so much better than 13-13. Or that 13 over 12 is a INT machine and 5 over 3 is better. 

Yeah I see your point.  I want Fitz to succeed; I really do, but to blame a rookie playing in his very first game after missing all of preseason when you have a veteran qb who constantly threw the ball short and to the wrong shoulder is really pushing it and strains their credibility.   As I have said on numerous occasions, this is the first time in Geno's career that has been able to watch and learn from the sidelines.  That should make him a better player if or when he gets the opportunity to play.  Unfortunately too many people have thrown in the towel on him and will root for him to fail. 

another thing----Smith might be running his route with Fitz's arm strength in the back of his mind.  Not wanting to outrun the ball and cause an INT, so to speak.

Easy enough to say both the thrower & the catcher could have done better

The only thing the catcher could have done better was try to break up a putrid pass...there is nothing he could have done better to make a play on the ball to actually catch those bullsh!t passes.  As they showed before the game, everything Fitz does within 15 yards he had 68% comp, everything beyond 15 he had 28% comp...and that was before the game started.  He cant make plays down the field...at least not to the sideline...nothing a WR can do about that...except keep reaching back and try to steal back INTs like Marshall did, I just dont think that's a great plan for long term success.

The only thing the catcher could have done better was try to break up a putrid pass...there is nothing he could have done better to make a play on the ball to actually catch those bullsh!t passes.  As they showed before the game, everything Fitz does within 15 yards he had 68% comp, everything beyond 15 he had 28% comp...and that was before the game started.  He cant make plays down the field...at least not to the sideline...nothing a WR can do about that...except keep reaching back and try to steal back INTs like Marshall did, I just dont think that's a great plan for long term success.

Even on bad passes i wanted to see more body control & get up and go to catch the ball at it highest point from the kid ... Hopefully those will happen next week, as well as better throws to him

That is your opinion and a very uninformed one at that. He showed plenty of fight to me, sorry he isn't able to snatch the under thrown balls from out of the defenders hands like Marshall did.  The fact that on both plays he had to SLOW DOWN AND REACH BACK FOR THE BALL, doesn't seem to factor in your thinking.  But the QB is not to blame; of course not.  Lets blame the rookie.... smdh.   

I saw the underthrows.  I understand your position and I get the points you are making.  I just don't blame everything on the QB

those were rookie DB's in his back pocket btw, rookies drafted well after he was.  

Even on bad passes i wanted to see more body control & get up and go to catch the ball at it highest point from the kid ... Hopefully those will happen next week, as well as better throws to him

not one thing you said will help on an under thrown ball but make it easier to intercept.

you want to see him high point a pass 3 yards behind him?  Me too.  It would be the first time in NFL history it has happened...

I saw the underthrows.  I understand your position and I get the points you are making.  I just don't blame everything on the QB

those were rookie DB's in his back pocket btw, rookies drafted well after he was.  

maybe you think we should cut him because Fitz didn't throw catchable balls over the DBs to the sideline or down the field so he could run under it...maybe Fitz shouldnt have thrown the ball to the inside where the CB was lined up even before the snap...pretty easy read...

maybe you think we should cut him because Fitz didn't throw catchable balls over the DBs to the sideline or down the field so he could run under it...maybe Fitz should have thrown a ball to the inside where he CB was lined up even before the snap...

cut him ?  we should murder him and sell his corpse to ISIS so they can behead it and burn it

this place is so whack

for the record, the smith pick was my favorite pick this year.  I jumped up and down in my living room when they jets drafted him.  I was really excited.  I hope he catches 10 TD's this year and wins OROTR honors and lives happily ever after.  

so before anybody wants to label as a smith hater, just RELAX

After watching Joe Caporoso's break down from TOJ it's disgusting how often our guys got open and were just missed. Smith could have had two TD's and Marshall could have had another. These guys had to keep slowing down and the ball was consistently put towards the coverage on the wrong shoulder. I like Fitz but we really have to take advantage of these opportunities.

After watching Joe Caporoso's break down from TOJ it's disgusting how often our guys got open and were just missed. Smith could have had two TD's and Marshall could have had another. These guys had to keep slowing down and the ball was consistently put towards the coverage on the wrong shoulder. I like Fitz but we really have to take advantage of these opportunities.

And yet we have posters  out here twisting themselves into knots excusing underthrown balls, from a TEN YEAR VETERAN, all the while trying to blame a rookie WR who was getting separation and would have  had a multiple TD game if the balls were thrown properly!!

Good Grief!

And yet we have posters  out here twisting themselves into knots excusing underthrown balls, from a TEN YEAR VETERAN, all the while trying to blame a rookie WR who was getting separation and would have  had a multiple TD game if the balls were thrown properly!!

Good Grief!

I think it's because a lot of people are down on Geno which is reasonable because he's been terrible. But we knew this would be the case with Fitz we know what he's good at and what he isn't. The deep ball just isn't a strength of his. We can't kill the rook he played well and got a step on his man at least three times the ball just needs to be thrown better. In willing to ride with Fitz but more of this is going to make me wonder what that douchebag with the clipboard can do.

I think it's because a lot of people are down on Geno which is reasonable because he's been terrible. But we knew this would be the case with Fitz we know what he's good at and what he isn't. The deep ball just isn't a strength of his. We can't kill the rook he played well and got a step on his man at least three times the ball just needs to be thrown better. In willing to ride with Fitz but more of this is going to make me wonder what that douchebag with the clipboard can do.

I hear u and agree with  u 100%!!!

People may be down on Geno but for HEAVENS SAKE folks shouldn't hate on his young man Devin Smith when he seems like the kind of speed player we have been looking for years to draft. 

Quiet, Comfortable and Confident.... and he wears the Green and White....

We should ALL be lauding D. Smith instead of some of us trying to fabricate false narratives about his playing ability.

I hear u and agree with  u 100%!!!

People may be down on Geno but for HEAVENS SAKE folks shouldn't hate on his young man Devin Smith when he seems like the kind of speed player we have been looking for years to draft. 

Quiet, Comfortable and Confident.... and he wears the Green and White....

We should ALL be lauding D. Smith instead of some of us trying to fabricate false narratives about his playing ability.

I blame Stephen Hill for the apprehension haha.

Good Grief!

Preach.

Seriously, this is our future #3 WR, hopefully.  Say we arent on the same page on the deep balls.  How about the play in the redzone he broke wide open for the TD?  With Decker and Marshall being the obvious mismatches in the redzone, what more can we ask for than what he presented on that drive to help take heat off the future Decker and Marshall combo?  What did Fitz do with that play?  Remember, this is the guy who is so much better than Geno, and understands the offense so well, but how bad did he miss that NFL version of a lay-up rezone TD play?  

Maybe he needs to continue to adjust to the NFL.  Fair.  But Fitzpatrick missed some money throws that would have broke the game wide open, IMO.

As fans, all we can hope for is their timing will get better as they practice together more and they can hit some plays to open the offense as they build a better feel for each other.  Gotta try to be glass half full.

We dont have a good QB situation.  Geno likely hits more big plays but more big turnovers, while Fitz "should" have less dumb turnovers but leave a lot of plays on the field on things over 10 yards.

not one thing you said will help on an under thrown ball but make it easier to intercept.

you want to see him high point a pass 3 yards behind him?  Me too.  It would be the first time in NFL history it has happened...

even in your backyard games with your buddies if you break free and have 3 steps on the CB but your QB hangs a moonball out there that is not going to hit you in stride guess what? ... You can slow down, make contact with the CB as you box him out away from where the ball is going to be, & then speed up again as the ball is reaching you.  If I can do it with other out of shape $h*theads certainly NFL wide receivers  can do the same... And you've never seen the NFL before if you think that will be the first time it happens.

Good Grief!

make no mistake on my end there is tons of blame for Fitzy ... As I stated in my post above though I would like to see my hopeful 1 or 2 WR of the future be able to adjust better to poorly thrown balls as well. JMO

How do you high point a ball that is low and behind you?  WTF.

you slow down or turn around bro ... Just because go route was the play doesn't mean you can't adjust when you see the ball in the air.  It's not trigonometry WTF

Archived