it doesnt matter who the qb is

ylekram

Great Coverage?  Smith had a step both times, and would out run that dude by 2 to 3 more steps if the QB throws him a ball he can run under, seriously watch the replay Smith is by the defender both times, and Fitz threw wounded ducks.

it was great coverage. I never said fitz didn't under throw the ball, as he did. but lets not say it was some horrendously under thrown pass. fitz under throws the deep pass. geno over throws the deep pass. pick your poison

Smith couldn't use his speed, the ball took forever to get there, smith had to slow down to be somewhat in the position to attempt a play on the ball, that's the problem with Fitz's deep balls, i.e. Arm strength. Just liked Damaged Pennington.  So when our fastest receiver cannot play with the ball in front of him on a reception, this what happens, teams will stack the box and take away the mid game. Much harder for a Qb like Fitz to win those type of games without the run game going. We've seen all this before.....

He doesnt have the physical tools to make a team pay if it stacks the box and stops the Jets running game that day. 

Apparently if you see this it makes you one of the Geno Obsessives.  Because when your guy shlts the bed, make up a cutesy name to make yourself feel good

I know Fitz won't do anything for us.  Let Geno try.  If he fails after a few weeks, at least the we know not to waste our Sundays.

Can't just give away games like that.

Once were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, we can let Geno go out there and embarrass himself...again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He doesnt have the physical tools to make a team pay if it stacks the box and stops the Jets running game that day. 

Apparently if you see this it makes you one of the Geno Obsessives.  Because when your guy shlts the bed, make up a cutesy name to make yourself feel good

I know that's how it'll go, but for me, Geno's dumb decisions and Fitz's lack of deep ball capability is a wash, but Geno's capability of physically being able to use more of the field, and and our speed is the uptick for me. 

I would rather see Petty, but I also want him to sit more. So I guess I'd have to take Box o' rocks Geno, and hope what was seen by the coaching staff as far as growth on Geno's part, is actually there. 

It's gotta be better then Pennington ball 2.0.  ( I loved Pennington before his shoulder injuries, wasn't a better play action Qb in the NFL at the time) 

Fitz is and always was an interception machine.  Saw this many times when he came in with the Bills to play the Jets.  Don't expect anything to change. Thank god he hasn't fumbled yet.

Turn the page.

if we had tom brady or even andy dalton waiting in the wings i would agree but we have the leagues worst qb over last two seasons on the bench. Our options are poor, to very poor.

Yeah because those 2 horrendous under throws to Smith that should have been 6 both times does make a difference, you land those it does 2 things, puts up a quick strike TD, and opens up the running lanes as the D can't stack the box because they have no fear of your QB.

I was screaming at the TV saying the same thing.

It also causes our WRs to get punished more in the underneath stuff because defenders are waiting for them to catch the short stuff.  Hence Marshall's alligator arm interception at the end of the game. 

Poor QB play, or an inability to properly execute plays by the QB has unintended ripple effects throughout the game,

The pass to Marshall in the end zone was also under thrown, and after seeing the PI against our CB, he was interfered with as well.  He was high all day, and he was throwing behind receivers all day.  The pass that Marshall got drilled on, probably caused the alligator arm attempt as well.  However, that is no excuse, Marshall needs to make that play.  

Fitz was just off today.  He was better the past two weeks.  Everyone has an off day.  Now the CS has to see if the trend continues.

The bolded underlined part is key!!! But you are also correct Marshall has to make the catch..

People are calling for Geno because Fitz can't go deep?

Geno has a Much worse deepball than Fitz.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Judging by the comments here, its like some of the guys here have never watched him play.

This whole "Geno can throw the ball DEEP bro!!" argument is a load of garbage.

Over my morning coffee I was looking into Geno Smith's performances, hoping to find some areas where he excels and some areas where it's a given he'll need to improve. One area I spotted that needed immediate attention was his accuracy on deep balls. He doesn't throw down field very much, but when he does, he is terrible.

Geno has only attempted 37 passes that travel over 20 yards in the air. Considerably less than the league leader (Andrew Luck - 81). In fact, 28 quarterbacks have attempted more throws of over 20 yards. With Percy Harvin coming on board and Eric Decker, you would think we would try more shots downfield to our receivers, however when you look at Geno's performance, it makes sense for the Jets to pull back on the reigns.

Of the 37 passes attempted, he has completed just 6 of them with 2 passes being dropped. Even if you factor in those passes, he has a league low completion percentage of 21.6%. Lower than a lot of young QB's like Teddy Bridgewater (42.1%), Zach Mettenberger (47.8%) and even lower than rookies Blake Bortles (31/9%) and Derek Carr (24.1%).

If that wasn't bad enough, Geno has thrown 7 of his 12 interceptions on the season on throws more than 20 yards. Which means he's thrown more interceptions than pass completions on balls travelling downfield. That is an alarming rate given the amount of attempts. For example, the 7 interceptions thrown lead the league, more than Jay Cutler (6 on 59 attempts), Matt Stafford (5 on 55 attempts) and Nick Foles (6 on 59 attempts).

If that were not bad enough, he has only 2 touchdowns and 224 yards throwing downfield. Looking at the same players we looked at above, that is considerably less than Jay Cutler (6 TD's for 647 yards), Nick Foles (9 TD's for 578 yards) and Matt Stafford (7 TD's for 669 yards).

Are the Jets simply not protecting Geno long enough for deep plays to develop? Well actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. Geno Smith has more than 2.6 seconds to throw on 59.8% of his drop-backs, which is the highest rate in the league. However he is only completing 47.6% of his passes when given over 2.6 seconds to throw, good for 24th best out of 27 QB’s who have played in at least 50% of their team snaps.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/12/16/7401013/deep-ball-problems-for-geno-smith

I know that's how it'll go, but for me, Geno's dumb decisions and Fitz's lack of deep ball capability is a wash, but Geno's capability of physically being able to use more of the field, and and our speed is the uptick for me. 

I would rather see Petty, but I also want him to sit more. So I guess I'd have to take Box o' rocks Geno, and hope what was seen by the coaching staff as far as growth on Geno's part, is actually there. 

It's gotta be better then Pennington ball 2.0.  ( I loved Pennington before his shoulder injuries, wasn't a better play action Qb in the NFL at the time) 

Fitz is on a pace for almost 25 INTs a game.  So the decision making hasn't been all that good.  If the trend continues he'll be on the bench.  

Whatever the decision its Fitz or Geno, Petty's development doesnt move up just because we lost a game

it is a mystery to me how people let optimism creep in given our qb situation. How many years will it take some to realize that this nfl is ENTIRELY about the qb? And that we seem to be incapable of acquiring even an average one? 

Right...so why oh why, we draft players when a 3rd round Russel Wilson is on the board.  The JETS GM's, over 35 years have behaved like they know what the deal is. All along, missing on great players and drafting development players. Mind Boggling. Im waiting for us to draft a punter in round 1.

Gene is capable of putting pressure on a defense.

Is it just me or did it look like there was at least 5-6 times where Fitz stepped up in the pocket and saw nothing but daylight in front of him?  To me a big weapon Geno brings that Fitz can't is his ability to run.  If the D is stuffing your run game that spread air attack seems to open alot of space for a mobile QB to scramble..

The pass to Marshall in the end zone was also under thrown, and after seeing the PI against our CB, he was interfered with as well.  He was high all day, and he was throwing behind receivers all day.  The pass that Marshall got drilled on, probably caused the alligator arm attempt as well.  However, that is no excuse, Marshall needs to make that play.  

Fitz was just off today.  He was better the past two weeks.  Everyone has an off day.  Now the CS has to see if the trend continues.

I don't know. He threw it where the clear passing lane was, where no one could tip it or bat it down.

The pass before that was an inexcusable obscenity to QBing, though. The one to Smith. We got a TD on the next play so no one's really talking about it, but you can't predict there will be an open passing lane to Marshall on the next play. Easy passes like the missed TD to Smith, have to be thrown in there 100% of the time. No less than 95%. Too many things happen to let those easy ones slide more than once in a great while.

So while it's hard to know what was going through Fitzpatrick's head, and since the play was a success as it played out we'd never know the truth (if he threw it where the passing lane was, or if he meant to hit Marshall in the numbers and it just ended up a yard behind him). But there were enough off-target throws, like the Smith pass attempt just before that one, that suggest the pass just ended up in a behind Marshall (but still in a good location Marshall caught) by accident rather than by design. Impossible to know for sure.

This is true...like said in the another thread.  Fitz needs a run game...he cant be throwing the ball around that much.  Geno would need it too.

But the real reason why it doesnt matter????    The Patriots.

They're going 19-0 this season. 

The Pats are averaging almost 40 points a game and Brady has 9 tds no picks and is at 70% plus completions.. You may be right so the fact that the Pats D is middle of the pack don't mean too much..LOL

Is it just me or did it look like there was at least 5-6 times where Fitz stepped up in the pocket and saw nothing but daylight in front of him?  To me a big weapon Geno brings that Fitz can't is his ability to run.  If the D is stuffing your run game that spread air attack seems to open alot of space for a mobile QB to scramble..

I know it looks like there was space to run, but you need to take a closer look.  Philly's D was utilizing some sort of air-disturbance mehods.  Fitz couldn't run through it.  You can't see this air distubance.  But you can see the effects.  Whenever Fitz had to throw the ball through it, the ball would wobble, slow down dramatically and even veer off target.  In fact, at certain angles, these air disturbances can actually cause visibility issues.  Which explains Fitz missing open WRs in favor of covered guys.

I don't know. He threw it where the clear passing lane was, where no one could tip it or bat it down.

The pass before that was an inexcusable obscenity to QBing, though. The one to Smith. We got a TD on the next play so no one's really talking about it, but you can't predict there will be an open passing lane to Marshall on the next play. Easy passes like the missed TD to Smith, have to be thrown in there 100% of the time. No less than 95%. Too many things happen to let those easy ones slide more than once in a great while.

So while it's hard to know what was going through Fitzpatrick's head, and since the play was a success as it played out we'd never know the truth (if he threw it where the passing lane was, or if he meant to hit Marshall in the numbers and it just ended up a yard behind him). But there were enough off-target throws, like the Smith pass attempt just before that one, that suggest the pass just ended up in a behind Marshall (but still in a good location Marshall caught) by accident rather than by design. Impossible to know for sure.

True, Smith was WIDE open. That is a TD 95% of the time and Fitz was not even close.

In a close contest between johnnysd, Mike135 and Jet Nut it gives me great pleasure to announce that johnnysd has been elected President and Grand Poobah of the Geno the Trainwreck Fan Club, Pom Pom Wavers and Ruin the Jets Season society emoji1.png

Enough. You don't like Smith. Congratulations, you've got plenty of company.

This type of garbage calling out members of our online community, in an attempt to get a mob of people ganging up on them, will not continue. 

Your one-topic posting routine passed being boring long ago. You are not making the most of your most recent (and final) chance here.

In a close contest between johnnysd, Mike135 and Jet Nut it gives me great pleasure to announce that johnnysd has been elected President and Grand Poobah of the Geno the Trainwreck Fan Club, Pom Pom Wavers and Ruin the Jets Season society emoji1.png

:cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal: 

Good for johnnysd :win: a well deserved victory.  

Know what? Someone on such thin ice, who adds nothing to the site on his second chance, trying to call out three damn good posters just rubs me the wrong way. So on second thought, you've had enough chances.

After begging Max to let you back in, you've made a mockery of his generosity and his generally forgiving nature. He is totally embarrassed now and, after showing such poor judgment, will now begin on the long road to earning back the respect of the rest of the moderators (and the rest of JetNation now that I've outed him). This road to forgiveness will surely take him longer than the rest of the regular season and quite possibly will last several months beyond that.

So once again, you are gone. I wish you well in your future endeavors, which will surely be spent bothering other people.

Archived