Let's be realistic...

Integrity28

Great job ape....summed it up , I love this board but some outlandish stuff being thrown around today. I also like the way we fought back , a good sign going forward. Obviously a disappointing day but it's a long season , a split against Indy/Philly ( 2 preseason super bowl favs) isn't a reason to freak out. We beat Miami next week and we are in fantastic shape. 

• Upvote 1

Great OP. We beat ourselves through our poor execution on offense but I was very impressed by the way team came back and never felt that the team was panicking about the game and that was different.

I did think that the Jets lacked the proper urgency as well during their comeback.  Fritz was letting the clock run down to far before executing a play.  He was letting 25 to 30 seconds or more to run a play that kind of deliberate approach is fine when you are either up or a mere score behind, it wont ever work when you are under time pressure like the Jets were in this game. 

And IMO as a side bar Fitz' limitations don't bode well against Buffalo's defense....

• Upvote 1

Great post. Should also be pointed out that Bilal Powell sucks, and asking Fitzpatrck to throw vertical routes is absurd. Defensively, backs are going to get loose against this defense at times because the DL is working upfield on every snap. The Jets need to think long and hard about not paying Wilkerson, btw. He's simply not a game-changing defensive end, which sucks. 

The refereeing today was bad. Missed holding calls. (enough so that even my wife was pointing them out) A clearly missed block in the back on the Sproles punt return. The BS calls on Davis and Skrine.. ridiculous.

I was shocked by the lack of pass rush against Bradford. The key to winning this game was to get in his face, and we didn't do it.

As for the lack of urgency from the offense at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th - unacceptable. Great we got the TD, but a 8 minute drive there does Philly more good then it did the Jets

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

We played pretty horribly all round and turned the ball over what, 4 times, 5 times?

And we lost by one fluke punt return.

We're not that bad, even when we're that bad.

Exactly and the game was watchable (Jets had a chance) until the last minute, could not say that for too many games last year  

Exactly and the game was watchable (Jets had a chance) until the last minute, could not say that for too many games last year  

That game was not really watchable outside of the late 1st half score, offense couldn't score early in the 2nd half, and when they finally did they drained the clock, sky isn't falling, but the Jets will not beat a team that can bottle up their offense the way Philly did without getting multiple turnovers on D.

The refereeing today was bad. Missed holding calls. (enough so that even my wife was pointing them out) A clearly missed block in the back on the Sproles punt return. The BS calls on Davis and Skrine.. ridiculous.

I was shocked by the lack of pass rush against Bradford. The key to winning this game was to get in his face, and we didn't do it.

As for the lack of urgency from the offense at the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th - unacceptable. Great we got the TD, but a 8 minute drive there does Philly more good then it did the Jets

Agreed.

Where was our bltiz and interesting formations and CB/Safety rushes today?

And definite +1 on the lack of Offensive urgency towards the end, thought we'd seen the last of that horror when Rex and Co left town, was quite displeased with that.

Today was a "shoulda won" and we shot ourselves in the foot in too many ways and too often, simple as that.

Oh, and +1 of bad Refs, but thats the NFL these days, have to overcome that tbqh.

Here is "realistic."  The Jets do not have a franchise QB.  Thus, they will finish between 7-9 and 10-6 with a divisional playoff round exit.  We have seen this show many times.  Mediocrity is simply wasting time.  Theirs, and ours.

Edited by RoadFan

No pass rush, no running game, and a QB who is limited. Fitz's long throws are awful. And a specials TD kills when your margin for error is already next to nothing.

BIG PICTURE-it's gonna take a lot of good things to go right to get a playoff berth. Doubt this team is winning and Super Bowl this year.Think everyone knows this team has no margin for error to make the playoffs-Bowles and Fitz both. This year is a freebie, do your best, get Petty ready. 

One thing I hate-if you're down 3 scores in the 4th, shake your ass. The huddling, the slow nature of the play calls running the ball when you need quick multiple scores -W T F? Gailey really pissed me off. It's really hard to win in these situations, harder still if you're stupid. And from mid 3rd quarter on this Oc was really stupid. 

Edited by Bugg

Great post. Should also be pointed out that Bilal Powell sucks, and asking Fitzpatrck to throw vertical routes is absurd. Defensively, backs are going to get loose against this defense at times because the DL is working upfield on every snap. The Jets need to think long and hard about not paying Wilkerson, btw. He's simply not a game-changing defensive end, which sucks. 

If Wilkerson cannot be JJ Watt-like vs. an OL like that, he isn't getting that money from anyone. Today's game film is gonna cost him a pile. 

I need to re-watch the game, but this loss tells us a lot about the team.  It is a good team (not great) with a good (and sometimes great) defense.  The offense is okay.  I am still optimistic about the season being good.  Consider all of the mistakes we made, problems with had, big plays we gave up, but we still ..

tried to fight back; held the team to no points in the second half; we adjust.

Considering a first time coach and a weak QB, we are doing pretty well; lot's to fix still, but hopefully we correct moving forward.

It is my opinion that Bowles is making rookie mistakes, but we will see moving forward, but I think he is going to be pretty good.  Look at it this way, last year, off by 17, we would have given up.

Not sure that this offense isn't good enough to catch up in the second half with a good defense.

• Upvote 1

Second that.  And if he cannot do it with what the Jets put out there along side of him on the DL, imagine him having to be "the man".  When it comes down to results and ability, he is at the bottom end of the "real money" list.  

Agree that Bowles challenges are scarily reminiscent of previous regimes, and that the NFL could not have Chimp Kelly going 0-3. 

I was begging for Oline help during FA and the draft, but they seemed quite content to pour all the resources into the secondary. OK, thanks. 

Still I was expecting to be 1-2 at this point, so to me, we're ahead. :D

We played a horrible game against a decent team, and we were in the game in the end. It happens. Better to happen against PHI than a divisional team.

The main thing that worries me is our run game. Is our line failing? Is it defenses stacking the box because they don't respect Fitz's deep arm?

As for players, Quncy Enunwa had a terrible game. His blocking was poor and he has stone bricks for hands. His leash has to be short by now. I also feel like Powell may have lost a step. He had a few opportunities to get around the edge and just didn't seem to have that extra gear to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion at the end of the day the Jets will be a wild card playoff team near seasons end. Their defense has played well. The Jets would have won if Ivory and Decker were healthy.  Had they played those two would have made a difference on the ground and through the air. Yes Fitzpatrick played terrible throwing 3 picks but that happens to almost every quarterback in the NFL not named Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady. Most of the picks were not his fault because they were tipped balls. I'm being optimistic because the first 2 games before this game I see promise which is a good thing and I'm glad Fitzpatrick is the quarterback. The Jets are going in the right direction they weren't going to go undefeated because this isn't college football or high school football its the pros. The Jets will probably beat the Dolphins on their trip to London because they looked really sh*tty vs the Bills and their defense that is very very similar to the Jets current defensive strategies. Lets go Jets go 1-0 next week and squish the Fish across the Pond in London. Jets will be 3-1 next sunday I'm confident in saying that

Edited by GenoandtheJets

I got an idea, Fitz had an off game so let's bring back Browning Nagle.

let's look at the other options in the offseason that supposedly were soooo much better:

Locker - retired

Hoyer- sucks and was benched

Mariota - would have cost our entire draft and got exposed last 2 games

nick Foles - sucks

Glennon - ok but supposedly Tampa wasn't interested in a trade

RG3 - omfg

• Upvote 1

Best case scenario 3-1 worst 2-2 at the Bye. With 3 of the 4 next games being very winnable we could be 5-3 or 6-2 going into the Bills game. After a 1-8 start last year that's a better season by a long shot. Definitely need Decker and Ivory in the mix and as ashamed as I am to admit it Geno will probably be the best option down the stretch.

I was expecting us to be better -- I was not expecting miracles.

Edited by slowmoe57

Good thread and I'll always contribute to one that's not reactionary.
Since we don't have a "franchise QB" our offense is totally dependent
on our top 3 playmakers (Marshall, Decker & Ivory).  With them available
Fitzpatrick can be effective/efficient (2 wins) without them his warts
show (1 loss).  Big picture, I wanted to come out of the first four games
at worst 2-2.  If we get Decker & Ivory back we have a good chance to be
3-1 because MIA already looks to be mailing it in for some reason.  3-1
at the bye with Richardson coming back and Smith getting more familiar
with the offense would be a great place