fitz apologists

Don't agree at all. Not even a little bit.

If they all truly envisioned Smith would be a failure and simply handed him the most important job on the team, then it speaks very poorly of all of them. More likely they saw what Smith could do physically and wanted to see if their coaching and a stud receiving corps led by Brandon Marshall (combined with 2 years' starting experience under his belt) could make something of him in a way the prior coaching regime was unable to do.

Assuming they wanted to see Geno fail at all, which is dubious anyway, the way they'd have "envisioned" it was for Smith to fail on the field, lest they potentially give up on someone good they haven't coached themselves, based on his performance under the coach that just got fired. Geno pre-empted that in a way no one could have predicted: he got knocked out of action off the field so there was no one left for the team to rally behind besides Fitzpatrick (or an obviously unready rookie, which wouldn't happen).

agree to disagree, they were being PC

Edited by SouthernJet
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one is enshrining Fitz into the Hall of Fame. The "apologists" as you call them, simply believe that Fitz is less awful than Geno. It's that simple. Not sure where the confusion is.

I just cant understand how anybody can look at Fitz and think he is anything more than I a jag-I told you before the season he was awful and has no arm- I was at the game today like almost every game

both coaches liked Geno better and thought he gave us the best shot-Bmarsh moved in with Geno as well. coaches should go back to their original plan before it is too late now that Geno is able to play

Posted Images

because your stupid breakdown is pointless, has nothing to do with the fact that Geno was the starting QB until he was injured by a punch.  

If Geno was truly the starting QB why did he not get his job back when he was cleared to play ? Most if not all starting QB's get their jobs back. What makes Geno so different ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
If Geno was truly the starting QB why did he not get his job back when he was cleared to play ? Most if not all starting QB's get their jobs back. What makes Geno so different ?

Fitz for the foreseeable future this year

Petty/another rook next year or two years from now

Fitz for the foreseeable future this year

Petty/another rook next year or two years from now

yeah that's what I figure but I wanted to see what the  jetnut has to say. Im still trying to figure out how Aaron Rodgers got his job back when the super Matt Flynn Threw 6 TD's in one game I mean that's like half a season for Geno

• Thumb Down 1

yeah that's what I figure but I wanted to see what the  jetnut has to say. Im still trying to figure out how Aaron Rodgers got his job back when the super Matt Flynn Threw 6 TD's in one game I mean that's like half a season for Geno

There is no real answer to this other than the fact that he was not really firmly entrenched as the starter.

• Thumb Down 1

There is no real answer to this other than the fact that he was not really firmly entrenched as the starter.

who said he was firmly entrenched as the starter? He was the starter unless something changed. Presumably Bowles thought that if/when something happened, that something would happen outside the locker room, but it is what it is. 

And now it's Geno's turn to wait for something to happen. If he doesn't like it he should have acted like a QB not a punk. 

Fitzpatrick has looked, though, he's the starter unless the players are all bitching about him unbeknownst to us. Seems unlikely, as I doubt they like Geno much either.

who said he was firmly entrenched as the starter? He was the starter unless something changed. Presumably Bowles thought that if/when something happened, that something would happen outside the locker room, but it is what it is. 

And now it's Geno's turn to wait for something to happen. If he doesn't like it he should have acted like a QB not a punk. 

Fitzpatrick has looked, though, he's the starter unless the players are all bitching about him unbeknownst to us. Seems unlikely, as I doubt they like Geno much either.

I simply object to the false premise being freely tossed around in here that Geno had "won" some kind of competition. Geno was the starter at the end of last year and he was named the incumbent on May 20th well before camp began.

We will never know now because the IK incident changed everything.  My own opinion is that he would have lost that incumbent status somewhere during the preseason anyway.

As it is we are left with what we have now that Fitzpatrick is the starter and that speaks strongly to the idea that the original starting status for Geno was a placeholder of sorts and not any kinds a firm commitment by the coaching staff based upon his QB skills.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

geno was getting all the first team reps and was getting praise while fitz was struggling with the second team. It's not some kind of conspiracy

• Thumb Down 1

That's your serious answer? 

Agree to disagree if you want. 

Yes. I said what I thought, you said what you thought. Nothing else to add. No big deal.

Edited by SouthernJet

I simply object to the false premise being freely tossed around in here that Geno had "won" some kind of competition. Geno was the starter at the end of last year and he was named the incumbent on May 20th well before camp began.

We will never know now because the IK incident changed everything.  My own opinion is that he would have lost that incumbent status somewhere during the preseason anyway.

As it is we are left with what we have now that Fitzpatrick is the starter and that speaks strongly to the idea that the original starting status for Geno was a placeholder of sorts and not any kinds a firm commitment by the coaching staff based upon his QB skills.

There is no such "false premise" being claimed that I've seen. Nobody says that Smith won a competition.  Bowles handed him the job outright. 

All I've read is that, up to the point IK busted his jaw, Geno was essentially in no immediate danger of losing it since he was noticeably outplaying Fitzpatrick anyway. If there WAS a competition he'd have certainly been winning (winning, not won), but that's not what happened. He was having a very good camp, for whatever that would have been worth once the games actually count. Perhaps nothing, as he clearly hadn't grown into the leadership or maturity aspects of the position. 

I haven't read anyone making the claims you and Smash and others are arguing so passionately against. Maybe I missed it. I certainly don't see every post. 

• Upvote 1

There is no such "false premise" being claimed that I've seen. Nobody says that Smith won a competition.  Bowles handed him the job outright. 

All I've read is that, up to the point IK busted his jaw, Geno was essentially in no immediate danger of losing it since he was noticeably outplaying Fitzpatrick anyway. If there WAS a competition he'd have certainly been winning (winning, not won), but that's not what happened. He was having a very good camp, for whatever that would have been worth once the games actually count. Perhaps nothing, as he clearly hadn't grown into the leadership or maturity aspects of the position. 

I haven't read anyone making the claims you and Smash and others are arguing so passionately against. Maybe I missed it. I certainly don't see every post. 

I am confused as to what message board you have been reading in that case.  Certainly Jet Nut has been advancing that position at every opportunity as have many/most of the hard core Geno crowd.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

geno was getting all the first team reps and was getting praise while fitz was struggling with the second team. It's not some kind of conspiracy

The reports I remember reading were of both of them doing well more often than not and both of them having practices where they were "off".  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Because as the coach said, if all was going well he was staying on the bench?

Better question, why if Geno wasnt the starting QB, why did Bowles have to answer question after question whether Geno would get his job back when healthy????

Work on that awhile.  When you get past that one you do realize you and maybe 4 other Geno haters are the only people on the planet who missed Geno being that starting QB before the hit?  You have to give it up, youre just wrong about this

• Upvote 1

Better question, why if Geno wasnt the starting QB, why did Bowles have to answer question after question whether Geno would get his job back when healthy????

Work on that awhile.  When you get past that one you do realize you and maybe 4 other Geno haters are the only people on the planet who missed Geno being that starting QB before the hit?  You have to give it up, youre just wrong about this

what ?

17 percent of this fan-base thinks Geno should be the starter regardless of record.  32% thinks it should be Fitzpatrick no matter what and the remainder would switch from Fitz at some level of bad results.

Are they all "Geno haters" in the bizarro world in which you live?

The dislike for Geno to the extent it exists has been well earned.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I think you need to work on things for a while.  The original surprise is not whether or not Todd Bowles said what he said about who would start but.... wait for it... looking a little deeper... thinking just a little harder....  WHY Bowles would say that?  Certainly he would not say that if it were Aaron Rogers or any other established starter for that matter.

Does Smashmouth need to use words with fewer syllables?

In any event, perhaps Bowles has acted the way that he has because Geno did not have much of a grip on the starter's job in the first place.  That would be consistent with what we have seen on this matter.  I know that conflicts with your all-Geno-all-the-time world view but it is what it is.

• Thumb Down 1

He was recovering when he signed, yes.  He was held out of OTA's, participated in camp.  Which has what to do with Geno was the starter at the time he was punched out?

It has everything to do with Bowles not naming an injured player the starting QB which is what i thought you were looking for.  I dont think Geno could take the field week 4 with his jaw at that stage of the recovery process. 

I think you need to work on things for a while.  The original surprise is not that Bowles said what he said about who would start but.... wait for it... looking a little deeper... thinking just a little harder....  WHY Bowles would say that?  Certainly he would not say that if it were Aaron Rogers or any other established starter for that matter.

Does Smashmouth need to use words with fewer syllables?

In any event, perhaps Bowles has acted the way that he has because Geno did not have much of a grip on the starter's job in the first place.  That would be consistent with what we have seen on this matter.  I know that conflicts with your all-Geno-all-the-time world view but it is what it is.

IMHO Fitz was starter day they got the only Vet who knew Chans system from Houston in GM's eyes. And Petty was 2017 starter  'at latest', on Draft Day.

All the rest was PC talk (and waiting to see if Fitz's leg healed) and a new coach uneasy on how to lie to media, LOL

Edited by SouthernJet
  • Thumb Down 2

It has everything to do with Bowles not naming an injured player the starting QB which is what i thought you were looking for.  I dont think Geno could take the field week 4 with his jaw at that stage of the recovery process. 

LOL.... I think you are asking for rhetorical consistency here and I am not sure you are going to get it.

• Thumb Down 1

IMHO Fitz was starter day they got the only Vet who knew Chans system from Houston in GM's eyes. And Petty was 207 at latest the starter, on Draft Day.

I think it was 1A and 1B with Geno needing to show more, a lot more to ramain as 1A

• Thumb Down 1

I think it was 1A and 1B with Geno needing to show more, a lot more to ramain as 1A

oh I agree but I think GM knew w/Fitz knowing Chans system, the result was 90% predictable 

• Thumb Down 1

I am confused as to what message board you have been reading in that case.  Certainly Jet Nut has been advancing that position at every opportunity as have many/most of the hard core Geno crowd.

Jet Nut had been, but he's since laid off the competition angle. No one else that I've seen. He was named the starter early, and got all the starting reps right up until his jaw was broken in two places. There was no competition. They showed no interest in having a competition. 

IMHO Fitz was starter day they got the only Vet who knew Chans system from Houston in GM's eyes. And Petty was 2017 starter  'at latest', on Draft Day.

All the rest was PC talk (and waiting to see if Fitz's leg healed) and a new coach uneasy on how to lie to media, LOL

Zero evidence for your position, tons of evidence against. There's just no truth to it at all. Chan Gailey was all in on Geno, declaring him the starter very early in camp provided he didn't get injured - which he obviously did. Fitz had gotten no first team reps at all up until the point where Geno got his jaw broken. That is not how you treat a QB you secretly fully intend to make your starter, no matter how clandestine you're trying to be. He was certainly healthy enough by that time. He started a preseason game a couple days later, so you can't use the leg as an excuse for that lack of reps. 

You wanted Fitz all along, and seem to be projecting that on the organization. But it's pure fantasy. 

• Upvote 3

No one knows what goes on behing closed doors and lots of talk is BS for media and not playing hand. It is what it is. You think one way, I think other and Fitz is starter and we all root for Jets . Try to enjoy it, LOL, it is no big deal. Geno will only start for Jets if Fitz hurt. IMO it will be Fitz 2015/part or all of 2016 then Petty. It's no big deal, be happy for Jets and for Geno when he gets a shot w/another team in 2016. If Geno ends up starting this year for Jets I will root my arse off for him. 100%.

Bottom line Bleed Green and be happy, we are 3-1.

Edited by SouthernJet

SMFH why do some of you feel the need to make up sh*t about our QB situation in TC? It's not like Geno is coming in right now with the team at 3-1. Geno has plenty of real shortcomings, no need to make up some WTF! 

Up until his jaw was rearranged, Geno was the clear cut starter. He was taking 100% of the reps with the 1s. It was not even remotely close to a QB competition situation. There wasn't even any entertainment of seeing what Fitz could do with the 1s outside of a few reps with them to switch things up. It was Geno's job to lose and he lost it when IK snapped his jaw in 2. 

Geno is not seeing the field unless Fitz's limitations at QB directly impacts our ability to win games, why make up bullsh*t like "Fitz was going to start anyways"? 

• Upvote 1

Is there an actual argument about this?  This is exactly what happened.  It's not up for debate.

SMFH why do some of you feel the need to make up sh*t about our QB situation in TC? It's not like Geno is coming in right now with the team at 3-1. Geno has plenty of real shortcomings, no need to make up some WTF! 

Up until his jaw was rearranged, Geno was the clear cut starter. He was taking 100% of the reps with the 1s. It was not even remotely close to a QB competition situation. There wasn't even any entertainment of seeing what Fitz could do with the 1s outside of a few reps with them to switch things up. It was Geno's job to lose and he lost it when IK snapped his jaw in 2. 

Geno is not seeing the field unless Fitz's limitations at QB directly impacts our ability to lose games, why make up bullsh*t like "Fitz was going to start anyways"? 

Ditto on this post.  This is exactly the scenario.

Edited by JiF