fitz apologists

kmnj

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of which leaves us with the question of why the starter became the backup as a result injury? For most teams in the league this would not be the case.  The only teams where it would happen are the teams where the starter does not have a firm hold on the position to begin with.  I believe that is the case here as well.  Geno may have been the starter but his hold on the position was tenuous, obviously.

Does anyone disagree with that? I don't.

The Jets are winning so far. Even if the coaches still prefer Geno -as they certainly did prior to the punch- it's difficult to pull a starting QB who's currently 3-1. I have little doubt that Geno's role in getting his jaw broken, and his teammate's lack of support for him, has altered the coach's perception of him. How much? I don't know, but it had to have an effect. That easily could've been the tipping point when it came to sticking with Fitz. If it was truly Geno's locker room, he might (probably?) make the move back to Geno, happy that Fitz got them this far. 

Geno's next chance may be tied directly to the team's win-loss record. Again, I don't know. But I don't think that Fitz has played at such a level that he should be untouchable, either. 

Welcome to the internet. We're all big boys here. This is the weakest argument I've ever seen.

Disclaimer: My opinion! Don't be confused!

Lol, I love it when you guys come to each other's defense! It's so sweet. 

Do you think your dad's theory holds any water at all? I definitely, 100% don't, and don't think it has any place here whatsoever. That's my opinion, and I felt free to express it. 

Yeah.... I saw it live. Notice how Marshall slows down to adjust to the ball? 

Marshall has clear separation deep . Has to slow down and comeback for the ball pretty much .. Seems everything he said was accurate would of been a TD if it's In front of him.

Was it an absolutely perfect pass?  No, of course not.

It was a 60 yard pass thrown in a good spot for marshall to make a play.

Lol, I love it when you guys come to each other's defense! It's so sweet. 

Do you think your dad's theory holds any water at all? I definitely, 100% don't, and don't think it has any place here whatsoever. That's my opinion, and I felt free to express it. 

My dad and I also agree that the sky is blue. When he's right he's right. That was a ridiculous argument that people on teh interwebz might be unduly "confused" that a messageboard commentator is a truth teller who only posts facts. You're better than that. Come on now.

My dad and I also agree that the sky is blue. When he's right he's right. That was a ridiculous argument that people on teh interwebz might be unduly "confused" that a messageboard commentator is a truth teller who only posts facts. You're better than that. Come on now.

Have you and your father ever disagreed on anything?

Lol. And conversely, when he's wrong he's wrong. Like in this instance. 

That's the thing you said it yourself if it is an opinion it is neither right nor wrong. But what is wrong is your pretty lame counter that his opinion is going to cause mass confusion among the Jets fans faithful. I rarely even listen to him good to know the Internet does!

cause he was. day they got him cause he knew chans system and they didnt trust geno w/new playbook (who in right mind would, LOL). Not provable, but logical. Geno in camp means zilch, they were waiting to see if Fitz's broken leg healed by opening day. But who cares, Bleed Green and root for Petty in 2017. Now if Fitz hurt, I will root 100% for Geno in 2015 and if he does what I think he cant (be successful in playoff run games, all the better) I will be happy as hell. Just want Jets to win. 

The above post was answering a direct question, why make up this stuff that they intended to make Fitz the starter? 

That's the thing you said it yourself if it is an opinion it is neither right nor wrong. But what is wrong is your pretty lame counter that his opinion is going to cause mass confusion among the Jets fans faithful. I rarely even listen to him good to know the Internet does!

He's stating his completely implausible cockamamie theory as fact, not opinion. When posters present irrational dreams as realistic possibilities or as what actually was happening, I'm going to call BS on it. People start believing crap they see repeated here too many times, and if you haven't witnessed that, you're not paying attention. I would do the same thing if you (or anyone else!) stated that -in their opinion- the sky is green. His Fitz theory, opinion, whatever you want to call it, has that level of credibility. 

The above post was answering a direct question, why make up this stuff that they intended to make Fitz the starter? 

He's stating his completely implausible cockamamie theory as fact, not opinion. When posters present irrational dreams as realistic possibilities or as what actually was happening, I'm going to call BS on it. People start believing crap they see repeated here too many times, and if you haven't witnessed that, you're not paying attention. I would do the same thing if you (or anyone else!) stated that -in their opinion- the sky is green. His Fitz theory, opinion, whatever you want to call it, has that level of credibility. 

calling BS is your right. no need to bolster with attenuated arguments of mass confusion and cats sleeping with dogs because one man shared an opinion you find foolish

lol.  Never said he was awesome.  Just that he's better than Geno.  We were never winning a Super Bowl with either.  Yet here we are after 3 straight years of being a completely inept and non-competitive team, and we're sitting at 3-1 with a first-year head coach, + 40 in net points, and you're acting like it's the end of the world.   Chill out.

yup, we both have same freedom. I think you are wrong, you think I am wrong. Genos play in 2014 plus picking up guy who knew playbook toldf me 'something was up' and then drafting a guy in 4th Rd w/ a 2nd Rd young QB on roster,,,little birdie time , LOL

all well, I still think you are a swell fella

calling BS is your right. no need to bolster with attenuated arguments of mass confusion and cats sleeping with dogs because one man shared an opinion you find foolish

LOL, funny, you just dont have ability to read tea leaves Slats..no biggee, some do , some don't

Still like ya though Pal  :) Go Jets

cause they needed to make sure his leg was 100% healed form break last year. If it wasnt or he stunk up the place, Geno starts. Who cares, Jets 3-1,,, enjoy,,  If Geno starts due to bad play or injury I will be his biggest rooter.. All I care is for Jets to be in playoff hunt. My opinions ar ethat, you dont have to agree, I certainly think some of your thoughts are not 'on point' but bif f'in deal.

I still like ya Pal :) Go Jets

Yes. It's being argued that Geno didn't have a stranglehold on the job. That his (starting) job security was, in fact, NOT as secure as with Aaron Rodgers.

Problem is no one (that I've seen) alleged that in the first place. So it's an argument against positions no one has taken. They have a name for that type of argument, but its name escapes me right now. ;)

Hell, even Bowles said things in his pressers/interviews like the job is Geno's to lose. As though Mike McCarthy would say the starting job is for Aaron Rodgers to lose, or Belichick saying the starting job is Brady's to lose, or Carroll saying the starting job is Wilson's to lose so Tavaris Jackson will have to take it from him by noticeably outplaying Wilson for that to change.

It's ridiculous. No one thought that then, and no one's claiming it now in hindsight. It's freaking Geno Smith. Everyone knows even if Geno made it to the opening day start he would still be on a short leash tryout of sorts where, if/when he f*cked up just as badly again, he'd get the hook before another season was in the crapper.

Honestly I thought it was very possible, even somewhat likely that Geno could lose the job in preseason.

I thought the very last thing on the planet that the new administration wanted was an open QB competition in the biggest media market on the planet.  Somebody had to be penciled in to take first team reps and somebody the 2nd team reps. Therefore somebody was going to be named as the starter before camp opened in order to avoid the "QB competition" circus.

Geno was the incumbent and so naming him did not take anything away from the other guy whereas if they name Fitz the starter it would very much be seen as a taking away of the position from Geno.  That this was announced on May 20th made it 100% clear that the decision was not a result of a QB competition.  

Nobody not named Bowles has 100% insight into what he was thinking but the above explanation does seem to fit the timeline and available facts more closely.  I also think that if the new coaches had seen enough that they were strongly of the opinion that Geno was the better option then he would not have lost his job to injury and the 3-1 start from Fitzpatrick.

<edited to add>

Do you have Jet Nut on ignore?  The notion  that Geno had indeed "won" the QB competition and that he should not lose his job to injury are positions that he has advanced more than a few times.  So it is not the case that nobody is saying this and and therefore very much not a strawman.

I would also add that 17% of posters want Geno to start and remain as the starter regardless of results.  That tells me that 17% feel that he should not have "lost" his job to injury

and/or

that he had "won" the QB competition

and/or

that both of therm stink but we need to spend 2015/2016 getting the definitive answer on Geno

The number who want Fitz to start regardless of W/L record is almost double that number... 32%

This thread has gone off the deep end. Pages of trying to fit together pieces of statements and timelines in an unusual fashion to manufacture secret agendas like pats fans trying to prove an NFL conspiracy against Brady. The facts here are so simple there's no need to concoct all this other mess.

Of course Geno was the presumptive starter. He was the team's starter for two years. The guy who ended last season and shows up on this year's roster is almost always the presumptive starter. Fitzpatrick was also injured. Of course he wasn't going to be named the starter. By most or all accounts Geno had a better camp up to the punch.

Bringing in Fitzpatrick was obvious. We needed a viable backup. Fitzpatrick has been a career backup who has come in enough times following injuries to show he can string together the team in the starter's absence. He also knows Gailey's system and he was among the best available at the time.

There is no mysticism in drafting Petty. New regime wants to try their hand at developing a QB. That should not be a shock. Tannenbaum did it. Idzik did it. Geno looked terrible last year so it can't surprise anybody but jetnut that the team wants to look at other long term options.

Far more probable that the coaching staff decided to work on the presumptive starter with a vet QB at #2 and a project at #3 than believe the staff hugged Geno while secretly planning to install a career backup that had helped usher Gailey out of Buffalo.

Geno could have stunk up those preseason games or been overshadowed by Fitzpatrick later in camp. Just because the job was Geno's to lose does not mean Geno could not have lost it. He's a player who knows something about losing.

Nobody not named Bowles has 100% insight into what he was thinking but the above explanation does seem to fit the timeline and available facts more closely.  I also think that if the new coaches had seen enough that they were strongly of the opinion that Geno was the better option then he would not have lost his job to injury and the 3-1 start from Fitzpatrick.

<edited to add>

Do you have Jet Nut on ignore?  The notion  that Geno had indeed "won" the QB competition and that he should not lose his job to injury are positions that he has advanced more than a few times.  So it is not the case that nobody is saying this and and therefore very much not a strawman.

Bowles has been around the game for a long time - as both a player and a coach.    I truly believe that he wanted Geno to 'win' the confidence of the team during training camp.   Regardless of his play, the way he continues to act entitled and unaccountable is as big a factor of losing his job as Fitz winning the first 2 games.    

A HC needs credibility with the players.   If you say one thing and do another it's impossible to build the culture he wants for this team.   Geno will get to play when he earns it or Fitz gets hurt.   If Fitz doesn't get a real chin strap I could see that being sooner rather than later.   My fear is that Geno isn't preparing properly each week and is just going through the motions right now.   

Bowles has been around the game for a long time - as both a player and a coach.    I truly believe that he wanted Geno to 'win' the confidence of the team during training camp.   Regardless of his play, the way he continues to act entitled and unaccountable is as big a factor of losing his job as Fitz winning the first 2 games.    

A HC needs credibility with the players.   If you say one thing and do another it's impossible to build the culture he wants for this team.   Geno will get to play when he earns it or Fitz gets hurt.   If Fitz doesn't get a real chin strap I could see that being sooner rather than later.   My fear is that Geno isn't preparing properly each week and is just going through the motions right now.   

Even with all his limitations you can tell the team likes Fitz ,not so looking at the lack of support Geno got after the IK fiasco..

Even with all his limitations you can tell the team likes Fitz ,not so looking at the lack of support Geno got after the IK fiasco..

True, when all the players were quiet as Church Mice during the Knockout punch w/lack of Geno support, I was reminded of old Jethro Tull line:

"My words but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT"

True, when all the players were quiet as Church Mice during the Knockout punch w/lack of Geno support, I was reminded of old Jethro Tull line:

"My words but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT"

Yeah... because it's not possible that the coaching staff instructed the players not to comment on it. 

Archived