fitz apologists

kmnj

Theres about 5 of you on this board who just cant seem to get it through your heads that Geno was the starting QB for this team at the time he was punched out.

Pages and pages of absolute idiocy trying to come up with countless reasons why he wasnt when he was.  Why Bowles might have told us he was.  Or duh, maybe he actually meant what he said, why should anyone believe that?  You can argue, you can call me names you can repeat it over and over again and at the end of the day youre wrong.  

Doesnt make me a Geno fan, a Fitz fan whatever.  It makes me someone who can read.

I think the QB poll puts a lie to that assertion.  Twice as many Jets fans are ready to hand the starters job to Ryan Fitzpatrick for the rest of the year regardless of won-lost record compared to the number who feel the same way about Geno Smith.

Only one in six want the job to be given the Smith now.  One in Six.

Those are all Jets fans and they have all seen exactly the same "evidence" as you have seen.

So no, not five people on this board.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres about 5 of you on this board who just cant seem to get it through your heads that Geno was the starting QB for this team at the time he was punched out.

And there's one Jet Nut who doesn't realize that this pretty much just amounts to trivia. 

Honestly I thought it was very possible, even somewhat likely that Geno could lose the job in preseason.

I thought the very last thing on the planet that the new administration wanted was an open QB competition in the biggest media market on the planet.  Somebody had to be penciled in to take first team reps and somebody the 2nd team reps. Therefore somebody was going to be named as the starter before camp opened in order to avoid the "QB competition" circus.

Geno was the incumbent and so naming him did not take anything away from the other guy whereas if they name Fitz the starter it would very much be seen as a taking away of the position from Geno.  That this was announced on May 20th made it 100% clear that the decision was not a result of a QB competition.  

Nobody not named Bowles has 100% insight into what he was thinking but the above explanation does seem to fit the timeline and available facts more closely.  I also think that if the new coaches had seen enough that they were strongly of the opinion that Geno was the better option then he would not have lost his job to injury and the 3-1 start from Fitzpatrick.

<edited to add>

Do you have Jet Nut on ignore?  The notion  that Geno had indeed "won" the QB competition and that he should not lose his job to injury are positions that he has advanced more than a few times.  So it is not the case that nobody is saying this and and therefore very much not a strawman.

Again, I have not seen a post where anyone said Geno won a QB competition this summer, but if he has said it more than a few times surely you can provide me with one example. I'm not trying to get into anything with you; I really haven't seen anyone post that Geno Smith won a QB competition. I saw him get a job handed to him and he didn't let go of it (nor was Fitz able to take it away from him) until the moment he got popped in the jaw.

The rest of the idea of why he was given the job is just hindsight imaginary projection to me, wanting to see what one wants to see in a likable new coach. His whole mantra was allegedly competition, competition, competition, where the best man plays no matter what. People loved hearing it (or alleged to have heard it) because it was supposed to be so different from Ryan handing unearned jobs out. It's only NOW being restated as an "of course" there wouldn't be competition and that someone had to be handed the starting job, which is incredible rationalization IMO. The reality is Bowles had no competition for any starting jobs as far as I could tell. Any incumbent, whose position was not augmented on the roster by an expensive "starter money" free agent acquisition, was simply handed the starting job outright. Not just at QB.

The other reality, which many don't seem to want to accept, is Bowles & Gailey clearly thought they could get something out of Geno that Ryan & company couldn't. Gailey in particular surely knew a lot of Fitzpatrick's shortcomings. That is why they handed Geno the job. Not just to name someone #1 for the sake of doing so. If they thought Geno was likely to screw up they wouldn't put forth a plan to waste a spring plus a summer full of first-team reps on him (unless they're the worst/dumbest coaches ever, and they're clearly not). Otherwise they would have held a competition, like teams do when there's no entrenched or obvious starter. There is no such rule - particularly for a new HC - of handing the incumbent starting QB the job. Especially when said player had such a big hand in the crappola season that led to Bowles being here in the first place.

Now what happened since then happened, right up to our current 3-1 record. Geno doesn't remotely have the body of work to fall back on to warrant any benefit of the doubt in his favor and lead to the benching of his replacement. Far from it. Plus I'm sure whatever confidence Bowles had in Geno for a while this spring/summer was at least somewhat lessened/negated when he saw what Smith's character was made of. A QB is, among other things, a leader - often the leader - of the team, and Geno sure showed Bowles first-hand what he was made of in that department.

I think the QB poll puts a lie to that assertion.  Twice as many Jets fans are ready to hand the starters job to Ryan Fitzpatrick for the rest of the year regardless of won-lost record compared to the number who feel the same way about Geno Smith.

Only one in six want the job to be given the Smith now.  One in Six.

Those are all Jets fans and they have all seen exactly the same "evidence" as you have seen.

So no, not five people on this board.

LOL. What the HC, OC etc have to say aren't nearly as important as a forum fan poll.  You know you're onto the last breath of desperation.

One more time, real slow for the mentally challenged.  I have never said Geno should get the job back.  Its a simple statement, get your head out of hating Geno thoughts.  Geno was the starter at the time of IKs punch hitting his face.  Simple statement.  One that is miles over your head if you think this comment above has anything to do with the very simple statement that I've repeated too many times.   

Similarly, when I said it was 5 people, I was talking about 5 people arguing that Geno was not the starter.  Yet you come back with 1 in 6 want the job to be given to Geno.  Who gives a ****, has nothing to do with Geno having the job when he was punched.  Then you and another circle jerk each other over a reading comprehension line?  While continuing to miss the point.  Are you this simple?  Nowhere was that put to a poll.  Then call me a liar?  Really?  To see a lie in that is amazingly wrong.  Please stop.

You have taken every single prize for utter stupidity on this subject.

Congratulations.

You are right on one topic.  Everything that needs to be said on this subject has been said by the HC when he named FItz the starter no matter how much you stamp your feet and pout about it.

Fitz is the starter unlike Geno and Fitz is a competent QB unlike Geno.  You think IK's punch changed everything and I think it changed nothing.  Deal with it. 

Now i feel like I need to take a shower after talking to you.

You have taken every single prize for utter stupidity on this subject.

Congratulations.

You are right on one topic.  Everything that needs to be said on this subject has been said by the HC when he named FItz the starter no matter how much you stamp your feet and pout about it.

Fitz is the starter unlike Geno and Fitz is a competent QB unlike Geno.  You think IK's punch changed everything and I think it changed nothing.  Deal with it. 

Now i feel like I need to take a shower after talking to you.

You are the last person who should ever call anyone stupid.

ive bitten my tongue enough reading your moronic posts while you have called me simple, a liar and now stupid.  Only the dumbest of the dumb can continue to be so pig headed that they can't grasp a topic this simple.  And a true moron pats himself when missing a point and calls people names.  

You're still arguing that Fitz is better.  You're amazing, really.  Try reading a post before making an ass out of yourself.  End it, save yourself from yourself.  Lol

You are the last person who should ever call anyone stupid.

ive bitten my tongue enough reading your moronic posts while you have called me simple, a liar and now stupid.  Only the dumbest of the dumb can continue to be so pig headed that they can't grasp a topic this simple.  And a true moron pats himself when missing a point and calls people names.  

You're still arguing that Fitz is better.  You're amazing, really.  Try reading a post before making an ass out of yourself.  End it, save yourself from yourself.  Lol

Then we are agreed.  The better QB is starting for the Jets today and things may have been different if BOTH Geno Smith and IK had made some better choices.

Now if only we could get Geno to not look like he is pouting like a little girl while he is holding that clipboard everything would be golden.

.....and you have no earthly idea what it feels like to hold your tongue on anything.

That's right.  11th out of 32.  Top third.  It certainly beats 38th out of 32 teams as Geno Smith was (some teams had two starters with enough games to qualify).

Fair to middling QB play. That is what we thought we would be getting and it looks like that is what we have received.  About three or four orders of magnitude better than Geno Smith.

1 Ben Roethlisberger, PIT 20.9 0.0 -1.7 2.1 21.4 111 28.1 19.1 91.3
2 Andy Dalton, CIN 28.5 2.0 -2.2 0.2 28.5 156 35.1 22.5 87.7
3 Aaron Rodgers, GB 27.7 5.1 -2.6 1.6 31.9 173 38.4 24.4 87.3
4 Tom Brady, NE 21.2 -0.3 -2.4 2.0 20.5 161 31.8 18.8 83.1
5 Matt Ryan, ATL 26.6 2.1 -2.3 0.3 26.7 174 32.9 18.8 81.4
6 Carson Palmer, ARI 21.6 -1.5 -3.5 6.4 23.0 160 29.4 16.5 80.3
7 Josh McCown, CLE 17.0 1.1 -4.5 1.2 14.8 126 18.0 7.8 70.0
8 Tony Romo, DAL 11.6 0.5 -1.9 1.8 12.0 91 13.0 5.6 69.9
9 Derek Carr, OAK 18.9 0.4 -1.2 0.8 18.9 149 20.7 8.7 68.9
10 Teddy Bridgewater, MIN 14.8 5.2 -7.4 2.2 14.8 151 19.1 6.9 65.1
RK PLAYER PASS EPA RUN EPA SACK EPA PEN EPA TOTAL EPA ACT PLAYS QB PAR QB PAA TOTAL QBR
11 Ryan Fitzpatrick, NYJ 13.4 2.4 -0.5 1.1 16.4 179 22.3 7.8 64.5
12 Russell Wilson, SEA 20.0 4.7 -8.3 0.4 16.8 186 21.2 6.2 61.1
13 Kirk Cousins, WSH 18.2 -2.1 -2.0 1.2 15.2 189 20.2 5.0 58.8
14 Philip Rivers, SD 21.8 -0.0 -7.9 1.3 15.2 174 18.3 4.3 58.4
15 Jay Cutler, CHI 8.9 2.7 -2.4 1.6 10.8 113 11.8 2.7 58.2
16 Blake Bortles, JAX 15.6 3.8 -4.1 1.2 16.6 191 19.6 4.2 57.5
17 Drew Brees, NO 18.1 -0.1 -5.9 0.8 13.0 154 15.3 2.9 56.3
18 Eli Manning, NYG 14.8 1.4 -3.0 0.3 13.6 171 16.6 2.8 55.6
19 Peyton Manning, DEN 20.1 0.0 -4.8 0.7 16.0 187 18.1 3.0 55.4
20 Nick Foles, STL 14.7 -0.4 -4.0 0.8 11.2 141 13.3 1.9 54.7
RK PLAYER PASS EPA RUN EPA SACK EPA PEN EPA TOTAL EPA ACT PLAYS QB PAR QB PAA TOTAL QBR
21 Tyrod Taylor, BUF 11.6 0.8 -3.7 1.0 9.7 170 15.9 2.2 54.4
22 Cam Newton, CAR 11.6 5.0 -3.2 0.7 14.1 178 16.2 1.9 53.5
23 Ryan Mallett, HOU 6.3 2.5 -0.9 2.3 10.2 159 13.7 0.8 51.8
24 Marcus Mariota, TEN 10.4 0.9 -4.9 0.5 7.0 131 10.8 0.2 50.6
25 Matthew Stafford, DET 11.5 0.1 -4.3 4.1 11.4 193 15.7 0.2 50.3
26 Colin Kaepernick, SF 5.3 4.6 -4.7 -0.4 4.7 178 8.3 -6.1 38.6
27 Jameis Winston, TB 4.3 1.9 -3.8 1.9 4.2 184 6.8 -8.0 35.6
28 Joe Flacco, BAL 11.5 -3.1 -5.1 2.4 5.6 191 6.9 -8.5 35.3
29 Sam Bradford, PHI 3.3 1.1 -2.1 0.8 3.1 178 4.7 -9.6 32.3
30 Ryan Tannehill, MIA 10.3 0.4 -9.1 1.7 3.3 209 5.4 -11.5 32.1
31 Andrew Luck, IND 3.2 1.8 -1.9 -1.2 1.8 148 3.2 -8.7 30.9
32 Alex Smith, KC 9.7 -0.8 -6.9 -0.1 1.9 199 3.7 -12.3 30.1

Why cherry pick this one stat? A stat that is only used by espn and not the actual NFL?

Lets look at the real stats shall we

#29th in the league in quarterback rating (you know the one the nfl uses,not the qbr in the OP that is only recognized by espn)
#25th in yards per game
#3 in most ints
#26th in completition percentage
Tied for #28-30th in yards per attempt

Hes a bottom 5 qb. The stats reflect it.

Why cherry pick this one stat? A stat that is only used by espn and not the actual NFL?

#29th in the league in quarterback rating (you know the one the nfl uses,not the qbr in the OP that is only recognized by espn)
#25th in yards per game
#3 in most ints

In DVOA he's 23rd.  Better right now than Cam, Bradford, Alex Smith, Luck, Flacco, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Mallett, Kaepernick, Winston....and Peyton Manning.  Some will rise and others will fall, but that's about where the truth lies for Fitz.

In this same metric, Geno was 31st last season.  In 2013 he was 40th. 

#25th in yards per game
#3 in most ints

I don't know.  It certainly seems to be a little more rigorous.

ESPN recently created and instituted a new quarterback rating system that they coined the Total Quarterback Rating (TQR). This complex model could very well serve as the new standard for judgement in the NFL field, perhaps replacing the popularly accepted Passer Rating, which has been used for the past few decades.

Where the Passer Rating formula only takes into account plays without considering the quarterback's teammates' efforts or the circumstances of a game, TQR allows for quarterbacks to be rated on every aspect of a passing play to establish their complete contributions to a game. For instance, on a pass play, all quarterbacks are given credit, labeled Dividing Credit, for what their teammates and receivers achieve on their part. This credit is broken down into four components: the pass protection, the throw, the catch and the run following the reception.

Other new factors come into play with TQR, such as Clutch Index, a 100-point scoring system as the new basis for rating (with 50 representing an average QB), and win probability and expected points. Also complementing the fundamentals behind a player's contribution to a win is the concept of defensive adjustment, and, when necessary, ESPN will consider opponent adjustment in discussions as well.

Regarding scoring and win expectations, ESPN explained,

"The goal behind any player rating should be determining how much a player contributes to a win. We went back through 10 years of NFL play-by-play data to look at game situation (down, distance, yard line, clock time, timeouts, home field, field surface and score), along with the ultimate outcome of the game, to develop a win probability function."

So, should we trust this system over passer rating?

Well, one thing is for sure: rating passers without considering rushing yards, a QB's win-loss record, sacks, leadership, play-calling or other intangibles has certainly been growing less substantial as a statistic over the years. Also, no quarterback should be considered a completely perfect passer in a game, wherein 60 QB's in the NFL have achieved the perfect score of 158.3 (and seven have achieved this feat more than once). TQR seems to be much more accurate and effective in determining a passer's overall game contributions.

However, the new rating system is very subjective, and some factors are not entirely specified. This is based on the fact that anybody may review an important play or close game differently than others.

Whether or not the league decides to use TQR, quarterbacks will most likely feel unaffected by the number or value they are assigned.

After all, it is just a number, but it is also a grade for players' performances. The new system may even affect the way Fantasy Football data is collected and impact those leagues based on the introduction and usage of new criteria.

For a better explanation from ESPN's staff of the statistics involved in computing TQR, click here.

I would also add that 17% of posters want Geno to start and remain as the starter regardless of results.  That tells me that 17% feel that he should not have "lost" his job to injury

and/or

that he had "won" the QB competition

and/or

that both of therm stink but we need to spend 2015/2016 getting the definitive answer on Geno

The number who want Fitz to start regardless of W/L record is almost double that number... 32%

The number of Jets fans who wanted Ryan fired was also in the minority. The mob's opinion is not always the smartest.

That said, I don't think they should make a change based on what we know. If they do change, it's because something significant newly arose (like a Fitzpatrick injury), or because the team aggregately is not as confident and happy with Fitzpatrick as is believed. Until we find out that's the case, it's just conjecture and Geno sits.

Are people really apologists for Fitz or are they just happy to see competent QB play that while limited and not very good, is better that the wildly volatile and often embarrassing shenanigans of Geno Smith? Clearly Fitz is not a franchise QB. I hope he's not the starter next year. We're all praying Bryce Petty develops. But despite his weak arm and overall mediocre play his level of consistency will keep us in games with this defense. Geno, running backwards and fumbling, and throwing devastating pick sixes? That will cost even the best defense.

We couldn't win with Rex the last four years because despite a good D we turned it over constantly, and despite how much anti-Fitz people want to crush him for INTs most of his picks have been on deep throws that effectively served as punts. He's not making the awful, baffling plays that Sanchez and Geno have killed us with for years.

Geno had better upside and the coaches wanted to see what they had in him. And you know what happened? He blew it by being an embarrassing moron, getting punched out by a teammate over money. What kind of NFL QB does that happen to? Seriously, the guy is a joke. I don't care if he throws a better deep ball, it's clear the team and coaches lost faith in the guy. He's not the future and after four years of losing I want to put a respectable product on the field.

In DVOA he's 23rd.  Better right now than Cam, Bradford, Alex Smith, Luck, Flacco, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Mallett, Kaepernick, Winston....and Peyton Manning.  Some will rise and others will fall, but that's about where the truth lies for Fitz.

In this same metric, Geno was 31st last season.  In 2013 he was 40th. 

In fairness to geno,he didnt have the benefit of a defense creating a ton of turnovers which in turn created very short fields for fitz to work with,and he never had brandon marshall. No doubt geno has had some terrible games that he was completely at fault for. But when youre throwing to david nelson and greg salas what do you really expect from a 2nd year qb?

When it comes down to it, I personally am intrigued at seeing geno in this offense,however,we are winning games and he can sit on the bench. If he really wants to be a better qb he can take this time to learn,mature and grow and maybe he will get another shot. I personally don't understand the vitriol spit at geno by certain fans but whatever.

At this point though we are 3-1,and even though fitz has played mostly played poorly and IMO cost us the Eagles game you dont make a change when youre 3-1. 

I just dont see fitz holding up against better competition but we will see. If he can make better decisions with the ball and cut down the turnovers it would go a long way. One things for sure this offense goes nowhere without ivory.

Are people really apologists for Fitz or are they just happy to see competent QB play that while limited and not very good, is better that the wildly volatile and often embarrassing shenanigans of Geno Smith? Clearly Fitz is not a franchise QB. I hope he's not the starter next year. We're all praying Bryce Petty develops. But despite his weak arm and overall mediocre play his level of consistency will keep us in games with this defense. Geno, running backwards and fumbling, and throwing devastating pick sixes? That will cost even the best defense.

We couldn't win with Rex the last four years because despite a good D we turned it over constantly, and despite how much anti-Fitz people want to crush him for INTs most of his picks have been on deep throws that effectively served as punts. He's not making the awful, baffling plays that Sanchez and Geno have killed us with for years.

Geno had better upside and the coaches wanted to see what they had in him. And you know what happened? He blew it by being an embarrassing moron, getting punched out by a teammate over money. What kind of NFL QB does that happen to? Seriously, the guy is a joke. I don't care if he throws a better deep ball, it's clear the team and coaches lost faith in the guy. He's not the future and after four years of losing I want to put a respectable product on the field.

giphy.gif

The number of Jets fans who wanted Ryan fired was also in the minority. The mob's opinion is not always the smartest.

That said, I don't think they should make a change based on what we know. If they do change, it's because something significant newly arose (like a Fitzpatrick injury), or because the team aggregately is not as confident and happy with Fitzpatrick as is believed. Until we find out that's the case, it's just conjecture and Geno sits.

Interesting.  I think the consensus at the end was absolutely to make a move on Rex.  Maybe the year before it was close and maybe that is the year that it really should have been done but at the end, with one or two notable exceptions,  I think there was a broad consensus that Rex had overstayed his "sell by" date.  And just because that was the majority view did not mean that the mob was wrong on that one.  Same thing for Vernon Gholston and a laundry list of others.  The mob does not always get it wrong.  After all we do use majority rule in this country to make some fairly important decisions on things.

With that said I am not an advocate of "mob rule" by any stretch. In this case I was simply pointing to the poll as evidence that more than "5 hard core Fitz apologists" disagree with whatever the silly point it was that Jet Nut was attempting to make.  Not as a way to point out which group was right or wrong in their thinking.

On the QB topic, I agree that if a change does get made while we are at or above .500 then that would speak volumes about what the coaching staff thinks of either Geno or Fitz or both.  Right now the "stay the course" decision is either a conservative "don't rock the winning boat" or it reflects a low opinion of Geno.  Probably the former but no real way to tell.

There is still some unfinished business here.  We do at some point need to make a definitive decision about Geno for the long term.  In the unlikely event that this season gets out of hand then we may get to find out some of those answers this year.  Many believe (including me) that Fitz is a dead-end of sorts and that we should be finding out these answer in 2015.  I understand that position.  My own opinion is that we can be competitive even with Fitz at the helm, as ugly as that is at times and that the rest of the team and the fan base deserves a puncher's chance going into a playoff run. 

So the coaching staff may need an open QB competition next year.  The good news is there is little risk of Geno being showered with money by the league at the end of his rookie contract so we probably have time on that.  Maybe Petty is ready to back up and Geno gets next year to show he is the answer.

Interesting.  I think the consensus at the end was absolutely to make a move on Rex.  Maybe the year before it was close and maybe that is the year that it really should have been done but at the end, with one or two notable exceptions,  I think there was a broad consensus that Rex had overstayed his "sell by" date.  And just because that was the majority view did not mean that the mob was wrong on that one.  Same thing for Vernon Gholston and a laundry list of others.  The mob does not always get it wrong.  After all we do use majority rule in this country to make some fairly important decisions on things.

With that said I am not an advocate of "mob rule" by any stretch. In this case I was simply pointing to the poll as evidence that more than "5 hard core Fitz apologists" disagree with whatever the silly point it was that Jet Nut was attempting to make.  Not as a way to point out which group was right or wrong in their thinking.

On the QB topic, I agree that if a change does get made while we are at or above .500 then that would speak volumes about what the coaching staff thinks of either Geno or Fitz or both.  Right now the "stay the course" decision is either a conservative "don't rock the winning boat" or it reflects a low opinion of Geno.  Probably the former but no real way to tell.

There is still some unfinished business here.  We do at some point need to make a definitive decision about Geno for the long term.  In the unlikely event that this season gets out of hand then we may get to find out some of those answers this year.  Many believe (including me) that Fitz is a dead-end of sorts and that we should be finding out these answer in 2015.  I understand that position.  My own opinion is that we can be competitive even with Fitz at the helm, as ugly as that is at times and that the rest of the team and the fan base deserves a puncher's chance going into a playoff run. 

So the coaching staff may need an open QB competition next year.  The good news is there is little risk of Geno being showered with money by the league at the end of his rookie contract so we probably have time on that.  Maybe Petty is ready to back up and Geno gets next year to show he is the answer.

Broad consensus on this website? Absolutely. Broad consensus across the fan base? Not so much.

A necessary change was made, and the team is in very good shape.

Except at QB lol. :)

In fairness to geno,he didnt have the benefit of a defense creating a ton of turnovers which in turn created very short fields for fitz to work with,and he never had brandon marshall. No doubt geno has had some terrible games that he was completely at fault for. But when youre throwing to david nelson and greg salas what do you really expect from a 2nd year qb?

When it comes down to it, I personally am intrigued at seeing geno in this offense,however,we are winning games and he can sit on the bench. If he really wants to be a better qb he can take this time to learn,mature and grow and maybe he will get another shot. I personally don't understand the vitriol spit at geno by certain fans but whatever.

At this point though we are 3-1,and even though fitz has played mostly played poorly and IMO cost us the Eagles game you dont make a change when youre 3-1. 

I just dont see fitz holding up against better competition but we will see. If he can make better decisions with the ball and cut down the turnovers it would go a long way. One things for sure this offense goes nowhere without ivory.

So Geno didn't have the perfect situation and we should feel sorry for this guy? He had his shot, he didn't deliver. this is big boy football.

Broad consensus on this website? Absolutely. Broad consensus across the fan base? Not so much.

A necessary change was made, and the team is in very good shape.

Except at QB lol. :)

I have had a couple of football fans at work comment that the Jets are QB away from being legitimate Superbowl team.  Personally I worry about the health of Chris Ivory and the consistency of the offensive line but at times they have looked as impressive as anyone in the NFL not named the Patriots so far.

Before the season I predicted 10-6 and a puncher's chance in the playoffs and I am still comfortable with that.

Thank you for this post. 

I have had a couple of football fans at work comment that the Jets are QB away from being legitimate Superbowl team.  Personally I worry about the health of Chris Ivory and the consistency of the offensive line but at times they have looked as impressive as anyone in the NFL not named the Patriots so far.

Before the season I predicted 10-6 and a puncher's chance in the playoffs and I am still comfortable with that.

Ivory is key, as is the line playing consistently. But teams come away with wins without either of those things. 

Absent the demise of our OL or significant injuries here or there, I agree we are one player away from being a legitimate Super Bowl team. A bad QB - like we've had for so many years - puts so much pressure on other aspects of the game. Guys on specials are downbeat (still inexcusable, though), the defense is winded and dejected to be trotting back out there so soon. It can make a well above-average defense look like only an ok one. Things need to click just right otherwise.

Anyway it's a big handicap when playing teams with some fight in them. We can still win, but so many things need to happen just-so at just the right time.

So Geno didn't have the perfect situation and we should feel sorry for this guy? He had his shot, he didn't deliver. this is big boy football.

Not at all,but the fact is fitz basically has a perfect situation (marshall,o line playing great,defense is top 5 and creating a ton of turnovers,top 5 running game) and he is still playing terrible. Thats very concerning for a team that looks ready to contend. This is the sanchez years all over again,except in that case we had the hope of sanchez improving. Fitzpatrick has been bad his whole career and hes 32. 

Jet Defense was #6 last year

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2014&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&qualified=false

Not at all,but the fact is fitz basically has a perfect situation (marshall,o line playing great,defense is top 5 and creating a ton of turnovers,top 5 running game) and he is still playing terrible. Thats very concerning for a team that looks ready to contend. This is the sanchez years all over again,except in that case we had the hope of sanchez improving. Fitzpatrick has been bad his whole career and hes 32. 

fitz isn't improving no one expects that of him or for him to be the long term answer. the question is whether he's better than geno, not some idealized "perfect" QB who either doesn't exist or is not available.

in yards yes. But I specifically said they didnt create turnovers which is true. The last 2 seasons the jets forced a historically low amount of turnovers.

in yards yes. But I specifically said they didnt create turnovers which is true. The last 2 seasons the jets forced a historically low amount of turnovers.

Just goes to show if one wants to find an excuse, one always can. so now geno can't be blamed because the defense didn't get enough turnovers

fitz isn't improving no one expects that of him or for him to be the long term answer. the question is whether he's better than geno, not some idealized "perfect" QB who either doesn't exist or is not available.

im not convinced hes performng better than geno would be in this situation. Considering the fact he cost us the eagles game throwing 3 ints in fg range,only luck and jamesis winston have more turnovers and him being bottom 5 in almost all qb stats.

But again,switching to geno when we are 3-1 is idiotic and not something that we should do. Fitz is our qb for better or worse. 

Just goes to show if one wants to find an excuse, one always can. so now geno can't be blamed because the defense didn't get enough turnovers

nobody said anything of the sort and now youre trying to create a narrative in the conversation when their is none.

These things dont exist in a vacuum. Geno made plenty of mistakes and has his share of the blame to burden. But to pretend like fitz situation this season isnt infinitely better than the one geno had last season is absurd.

That said,theres no saying that geno couldnt be performing worse than fitz is right now.

im not convinced hes performng better than geno would be in this situation. Considering the fact he cost us the eagles game throwing 3 ints in fg range,only luck and jamesis winston have more turnovers and him being bottom 5 in almost all qb stats.

But again,switching to geno when we are 3-1 is idiotic and not something that we should do. Fitz is our qb for better or worse. 

pretty much sums up, i think, the opinion of the majority of fans

nobody said anything of the sort and now youre trying to create a narrative in the conversation when their is none.

These things dont exist in a vacuum. Geno made plenty of mistakes and has his share of the blame to burden. But to pretend like fitz situation this season isnt infinitely better than the one geno had last season is absurd.

That said,theres no saying that geno couldnt be performing worse than fitz is right now.

not trying to create anything. you brought up the turnovers point to show how Geno having the #6 defense was a bad situation

Archived