fitz apologists

kmnj

The camp reports were that Geno looked like a different QB and Fitz was sucking it up.  Fitz was throwing INTs every day and Geno went 13 or so without a single INT.  

To call it a wet dream is pure nonsense.  What is comical is that the anti Geno contingent hollered loud and clear they wanted a open competition, best man win.  Until it was obvious to anyone who could read or watch SNY that Geno was winning, then the whole summer became a blur. 

But hey, those whos memory is intact you can call a fan boy.  because as we all know saying Fitz didnt have a great camp makes you a Geno fanboy.  Whatever makes you feel good,

There is no doubt Geno would have been the starter except for the thug rage incident.. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are making all these excuses for a 10 yr vet who has 3 yrs in this offense with  supposedly 2 top flight WRs, and a RB  we supposedly can't live without.  My Question is why was the same excuses not worthy for Geno Smith who didn't have any of this and is learning how to be a pro QB on the fly.

Despite all this, it's not yet time to start the QB shuffle with the Jets. 

LOL, i haven't even mentioned Fitz in any of my posts. I know he sucks and i have said so many times.

Everything i have said in these threads is substantiating my opinion that Geno is absolute dog-sh*t as a QB.

Its hilarious how you casually 'don't care' about the fact that 7 of his 12 INT were on passes thrown over 20+ yards. THAT's called sticking your head in your sand. Because having a SHTRAWNG ARM, even though you can't hit a barn-door, is really important...i'm sure DBs will be quivering in fear.

Ok let me explain it to you. When you can't throw deep ala Fitz the DB's crowd the LOS , this impacts the run game and makes the team one dimensional like we saw yesterday 58 passes for under 300 yards. When you have a QB who can throw a deep ball the DB's have to respect that . Do I or the Jets want those passes getting picked off - no, but regardless it has the effect of opening up the run game and underneath seams.

So will you give a rebuttal of - buuuuut Geno is da worstest or will you give me back something tangibly related to football.

We are making all these excuses for a 10 yr vet who has 3 yrs in this offense with  supposedly 2 top flight WRs, and a RB  we supposedly can't live without.  My Question is why was the same excuses not worthy for Geno Smith who didn't have any of this and is learning how to be a pro QB on the fly.

And why does saying this make you a fanboy? 

What excuses are being made? Fitz had a crap game yesterday.

There are some things that Geno shouldn't be blamed for or held accountable to a higher standard than should be expected for a second year QB. There are some things Geno has done that Geno should have figured out before the draft. Like how not to run out of your own endzone, how to tell time, how not to fumble the ball on your own ass, how not to constantly run backwards to avoid a sack. He is generally not a good leader for the team. Geno could grow out of all of that into a functional QB but Bowles clearly thinks that isn't the case right now. We can't add to Geno's performance because he was stuck in a bad position his first two years. Bowles has to field a team out of the players as they are right now.

Ok let me explain it to you. When you can't throw deep ala Fitz the DB's crowd the LOS , this impacts the run game and makes the team one dimensional like we saw yesterday 58 passes for under 300 yards. When you have a QB who can throw a deep ball the DB's have to respect that . Do I or the Jets want those passes getting picked off - no, but regardless it has the effect of opening up the run game and underneath seams.

So will you give a rebuttal of - buuuuut Geno is da worstest or will you give me back something tangibly related to football.

DBs only respect the deep ball when ITS ACCURATE. When the QB is more likely to throw it into Section 275, seat 4A of the Pepsi stand, they won't care. I have seen almost every single game Geno has played, DBs don't respect his deep ball and still play close to the LOS. 

You obviously don't watch games and have your head buried a mile deep under the sand, so what's the point.

A lot of you guys want a new QB and it seems to me nothing less than Aaron Rogers will do. Well I got news for ya.... its not happening and we're not drafting anything remotely close to that type of QB any time soon.  So give it up.

Every one of those Int's Fitz threw yesterday was easily explainable. Even the long pass down the sideline to Smith . But of course some here think a QB can throw a ball in a 3 foot box 40 yards down field. They Can't. They put it in an area and expect the WR to make a play OR if the WR breaks free they throw it deeper and have him run under it.

One ball was tipped at the LOS and Up for grabs. That happens to every QB its dumb luck or a very good play by a lineman.

One ball was right in the hands of Brandon Marshall and inexplicably he pulled his hands in and tipped it to a defender. I love Brandon but he very well may have cost us the game yesterday. Sure the entire team played bad early but in the second half the Eagles were ripe for the picking and we let em off the hook. :)

The Smith ball was the only Int I can say Fitz played a part in, a little more air under it would have helped Smith adjust better and make a play but Fitz threw it in at a low trajectory and the DB made a nice play on the ball.

We are throwing deep balls like that to open up the short to intermediate routes and the running game/play action just like every other QB in the NFL does. This is nothing new and its not rocket science. We throw it deep and EXPECT our WR's to make a play on the ball or if need be defend it from a DB making a play. Unfortunately our running game was uninspiring and we dropped a good amount of short passes.

Fitz IS NOT an elite QB but he's fully capable of leading this team and at this stage ANYTHING is better than Geno Smith who was so bad for the first time in my 40 + years watching the JETS I felt no excitement at all.

EM31 sees it completely different.  Is saying only a fan boy thinks the reports were that Geno was outplaying Fitz and had the job at the time

The way I understood it was Fitz would play only after Geno started and crapped the bed in the season..Hell in camp he was still recovering from his broken leg.. In poker that would be I'll see your broken leg and raise you with a broken jaw..;)

The hate for Geno is just so irrational it makes it hard to have an intelligent conversation here. Can you imagine for one second what Fitz would have done with the "weapons" we had the last two years???    

Yeah I can also imagine what any QB in this league would have done . They would have lost . They would have pressed to make plays . BUT they would have stepped up into the pocket more often than not and not run out of the pocket turning their heads away from the action.

People here are not just bashing Geno simply because Geno throws Int's or fumbles the ball. They are bashing Geno because EVERYTHING the guy does at the QB position is what you should not do. He rarely steps up into the pocket, he has a terrible release, his ability to read a defense is abysmal, he has no clue how to disguise a screen, and he runs when he should pass and he passes when he should run. He makes bad decision after bad decision and people want him in the lineup over Fitz simply because he has a better arm and that's a retard argument. Add all that up and mix it in with the fact the guy is and acts like a moron and is not a leader of men and you have a guy who can bring down an entire team. Fitz has limitations but he's not dumb and hes not a bad leader who acts like an idiot. I'm happy we have a guy like Petty and maybe even Geno learning how to be an NFL QB by watching Fitz.

Let's see Geno can run better, has a much stronger arm , over the course of their careers have roughly the same int%. Geno has won more games in a single season than this 11 year super vet has.

So I guess the limitation on Geno is his supposed lack of intelligence. Well we saw yesterday how the uber smart field general mastered the hurry up offense as they dinked and dunked down the field while constantly using most of the play clock.  The so called limitations on Geno are based on perception and the fact fans here simply do not like him ( draft day  drama, IK punch, missed meeting) while the limitations on Fitz are physical.

Geno can run (conceded) but his ball security stinks.  He fumbles a lot (small hands) and behind the back hand-offs to himself.

Geno has a stronger arm (conceded) but he is so inaccurate particularly on deep throws that it is a joke.

Clock management was bad yesterday (conceded) but lots of people think Fitz is smart and we have all seen that at least some of the time that he can go through progressions and hit the 2nd or even the 3rd guy.  Geno can not do that.

The way I understood it was Fitz would play only after Geno started and crapped the bed in the season..Hell in camp he was still recovering from his broken leg.. In poker that would be I'll see your broken leg and raise you with a broken jaw..;)

And we know who wins with those 2 hands.

I understood it the same was and really wasnt sure how it would play out.  Then the reports came pouring in that Geno was playing really well, was protecting the ball, was decisive etc.  Granted it was practice but it was against a pretty good D.  Added to that and it was reported that Fitz was struggling, either because of the leg or not, he was struggling and had little zip or the ability to throw long.  Kind of what his issues are now.  

I understood it the same was and really wasnt sure how it would play out.  Then the reports came pouring in that Geno was playing really well, was protecting the ball, was decisive etc.  Granted it was practice but it was against a pretty good D.  Added to that and it was reported that Fitz was struggling, either because of the leg or not, he was struggling and had little zip or the ability to throw long.  Kind of what his issues are now.  

They were both struggling alternately against our D.  There was not landslide winner in terms of camp reports.  You are inventing a complete fiction here.

Geno can run (conceded) but his ball security stinks.  He fumbles a lot (small hands) and behind the back hand-offs to himself.

Geno has a stronger arm (conceded) but he is so inaccurate particularly on deep throws that it is a joke.

Clock management was bad yesterday (conceded) but lots of people think Fitz is smart and we have all seen that at least some of the time that he can go through progressions and hit the 2nd or even the 3rd guy.  Geno can not do that.

Whatever dude, you just don't like Geno (draft day, IK, missed meeting). You're a hater for ignoring his massive UPSIDE.

Without the long ball in Fitzs arsenal we won't touch the Patriots. 

um what ? Have you seen how many deep balls Fitz has thrown ? They are very low percentage passes and most of them our WR's were well covered. Deep passes of 40 + yards are completed at a very very low percentage. They are more designed to open things up underneath and if you happen to complete one here and there that's great. let me ask do you watch any other NFL games ? Or do you just watch the highlights ? Sure its great to see four or 5 deep bombs completed on sports center every week but that's not the tale of every game bud. Ever notice how often Brady or Manning complete deeps passes ? Or do you think they are completing 50 yard bombs all day long ?

If you're going to talk QB play at least have a good understanding about how the position works. We have been hammered as Jets fans with about 7 years of bad QB play enough is enough

And until he plays we won't know.. Even if Fitz plays well enough to get to the playoffs he's still not the long term answer so we are just treading water right now and happy we aren't drowning.. I understand Bowles problem though he's not going to do anything until the season looks lost or at least at the brink..

Whatever dude, you just don't like Geno (draft day, IK, missed meeting). You're a hater for ignoring his massive UPSIDE.

what upside is that PLEASE explain something positive about Geno Smith. He has a good arm and he can run ! So do about 90 percent of the QB's in college that go undrafted.

A lot of you guys want a new QB and it seems to me nothing less than Aaron Rogers will do. Well I got news for ya.... its not happening and we're not drafting anything remotely close to that type of QB any time soon.  So give it up.

Every one of those Int's Fitz threw yesterday was easily explainable. Even the long pass down the sideline to Smith . But of course some here think a QB can throw a ball in a 3 foot box 40 yards down field. They Can't. They put it in an area and expect the WR to make a play OR if the WR breaks free they throw it deeper and have him run under it.

One ball was tipped at the LOS and Up for grabs. That happens to every QB its dumb luck or a very good play by a lineman.

One ball was right in the hands of Brandon Marshall and inexplicably he pulled his hands in and tipped it to a defender. I love Brandon but he very well may have cost us the game yesterday. Sure the entire team played bad early but in the second half the Eagles were ripe for the picking and we let em off the hook. :)

The Smith ball was the only Int I can say Fitz played a part in, a little more air under it would have helped Smith adjust better and make a play but Fitz threw it in at a low trajectory and the DB made a nice play on the ball.

We are throwing deep balls like that to open up the short to intermediate routes and the running game/play action just like every other QB in the NFL does. This is nothing new and its not rocket science. We throw it deep and EXPECT our WR's to make a play on the ball or if need be defend it from a DB making a play. Unfortunately our running game was uninspiring and we dropped a good amount of short passes.

Fitz IS NOT an elite QB but he's fully capable of leading this team and at this stage ANYTHING is better than Geno Smith who was so bad for the first time in my 40 + years watching the JETS I felt no excitement at all.

Bookmarked for later.

I can't blame anyone for not believing in Geno (despite the plethora of reasons why anyone would have failed in his situation), but your perception of Fitz is laughable. "Fully capable of leading this team".. LOL... okay, so the last 10 years of his career is negligible. 

They were both struggling alternately against our D.  There was not landslide winner in terms of camp reports.  You are inventing a complete fiction here.

You're rewriting history because you will never admit that Geno was outplaying Fitz.  And anyone who tells you otherwise is a fanboy.

And until he plays we won't know.. Even if Fitz plays well enough to get to the playoffs he's still not the long term answer so we are just treading water right now and happy we aren't drowning.. I understand Bowles problem though he's not going to do anything until the season looks lost or at least at the brink..

in training camp there were so many people here complaining that geno 'won' the job and didn't earn it again.  this, despite everyone knowing exactly what they were getting in fitz.  fitz isn't a one man show.  he needs his line playing well and definitely needed decker yesterday.  i'm more concerned about the deteriorating o-line, the inability to run the ball, and how badly exposed the lbs were in coverage.

Long term answer probably not on roster unles Petty was way underdrafted. I'd rather be competitive waiting for the next Joe Willy than just say "won't win Superbowl this year so what does it all matter?'

Bookmarked for later.

I can't blame anyone for not believing in Geno (despite the plethora of reasons why anyone would have failed in his situation), but your perception of Fitz is laughable. "Fully capable of leading this team".. LOL... okay, so the last 10 years of his career is negligible. 

No the last ten years of his career have been on teams not nearly as talented as this one.

what upside is that PLEASE explain something positive about Geno Smith. He has a good arm and he can run ! So do about 90 percent of the QB's in college that go undrafted.

But not the QB who is our starter.  He adds in makes equally bad decisions to the mix

Yeah I can also imagine what any QB in this league would have done . They would have lost . They would have pressed to make plays . BUT they would have stepped up into the pocket more often than not and not run out of the pocket turning their heads away from the action.

People here are not just bashing Geno simply because Geno throws Int's or fumbles the ball. They are bashing Geno because EVERYTHING the guy does at the QB position is what you should not do. He rarely steps up into the pocket, he has a terrible release, his ability to read a defense is abysmal, he has no clue how to disguise a screen, and he runs when he should pass and he passes when he should run. He makes bad decision after bad decision and people want him in the lineup over Fitz simply because he has a better arm and that's a retard argument. Add all that up and mix it in with the fact the guy is and acts like a moron and is not a leader of men and you have a guy who can bring down an entire team. Fitz has limitations but he's not dumb and hes not a bad leader who acts like an idiot. I'm happy we have a guy like Petty and maybe even Geno learning how to be an NFL QB by watching Fitz.

He has been watching Fitz and I am not advocating benching Fitz unless he continues to struggle and or lose games.  That is why I am giving him until after the bye week.  The fact that both Gailey and Bowles were prepared to "roll the dice" with Geno as the starter is enough for me. If he hadn't gotten punched, odds are he would be the starter now anyway.   As I posted in another thread, that could have been the best thing for him as he has been humbled and humiliated by the experience and hopefully it will make him a better man and watching from the sidelines will make him a better player.   It is easy to forget that he never had that opportunity before and was thrust into starting before he was ready.   I am so tired of the "he is an idiot, and dumb" comments so I am not going to even address that. The Eagles have given the rest of the league the playbook on how to beat us now; get a lead and dare Fitz to beat you.   

He has been watching Fitz and I am not advocating benching Fitz unless he continues to struggle and or lose games.  That is why I am giving him until after the bye week.  The fact that both Gailey and Bowles were prepared to "roll the dice" with Geno as the starter is enough for me. If he hadn't gotten punched, odds are he would be the starter now anyway.   As I posted in another thread, that could have been the best thing for him as he has been humbled and humiliated by the experience and hopefully it will make him a better man and watching from the sidelines will make him a better player.   It is easy to forget that he never had that opportunity before and was thrust into starting before he was ready.   I am so tired of the "he is and idiot, and dumb" comments so I am not going to even address that. The Eagles have given the rest of the league the playbook on how to beat us now; get a lead and dare Fitz to beat you.   

absolutely that's how to beat fitzpatrick - get a 24 point lead and make him throw.

Which is another big point.  Whats the good in winning 8 or 9 wins with a QB who isn;t in your long range plans?  Why is the fear of losing an extra game not worth the risk or winning a lot more and having a QB?  Geno won 8 with a lot less talent than whats on the team today, especially at WR.  As an inexperienced rookie. 

At least theres a possibility of an upside.  Why not see if hes progressed?  Whats the downside?  Having to admit youre wrong?

Archived