Is Geno Smith a GOOD DEEP BALL THROWER?

predator_05

I would assume, though when you disregard the fact that this player is a rookie/2nd year with no weapons to throw to in his first year and a depleted talent group his 2nd year because the GM was forced not to spend money and then proceeded to whiff on 13 total draft picks, then I begin to get the feeling that its more hatred than anything. 

LOL

Any other excuses you'd like to throw out there?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?  Owusu looked great with Geno going deep.  Decker was hurt.  

Now explai why 13-13 is a problem and 6-5 isnt? 

How about a question what does Fitz do that Geno can't.  Thow deep?  Avoid INTs?  Run? 

Other than grow a better beard and throw INTS at a quicker rate tell us.  Because his HC and OC wanted Geno behind center

First of all HC and OC do not want him now so what does that tell you?  It tells me that they probably named Geno the default starter at the start of camp because Fitzpatrick was still injured and nobody wanted to deal with another QB competition going into camp.  Occam's razor.  It would have been interesting to see a real preseason because my own opinion is that Geno would have lost the starting gig before the Giants game.

Secondly this team has a winning record.  Geno's teams did not.  Therefore Geno's pick-8's were costing us games.

Not a single one of Fitz's interceptions this year looked like any of Geno's direct to the other team crap last year and the year before.

The amount of support for Geno from this locker room has been deafening.

The IK incident stupid as it was probably saved the franchise some wasted time.

News flash...... We will miss the playoffs with Fitz at Qb, box o'rocks Geno was beating him in camp, it was also reported during training Geno was making all the right reads, against our defense, with all that being said, I now feel Geno is the best pick of two poisons. I've seen enough of what Fitz brings to the table, between Geno being a better scrambler, a stronger arm, the receivers we have now, Geno is the better choice with this seasons team. 

Last 2 years teams only showed us that Geno at that time couldn't carry a bad team, this years team is much better then those teams ever were. So it's reasonable to think Geno would do better with what we have now, he fits our team better then Fitz. 

First of all HC and OC do not want him now so what does that tell you?  It tells me that they probably named Geno the default starter at the start of camp because Fitzpatrick was still injured and nobody wanted to deal with another QB competition going into camp.  Occam's razor.  It would have been interesting to see a real preseason because my own opinion is that Geno would have lost the starting gig before the Giants game.

Secondly this team has a winning record.  Geno's teams did not.  Therefore Geno's pick-8's were costing us games.

Not a single one of Fitz's interceptions this year looked like any of Geno's direct to the other team crap last year and the year before.

The amount of support for Geno from this locker room has been deafening.

The IK incident stupid as it was probably saved the franchise some wasted time.

it tells me Geno may not have enough practice time.  I'm not making rediculous statements after he won the job though. Keep stroking yourself that Geno was the starter because of his leg.  They signed Fitz and told him he was here to be the backup.  If he wanted to start go look somewhere else. 

Ftiz has never won more than 6.  But he's 2-1.  A shltty rookie Geno, with scrub WRs won 8.  

None of Fitzs picks look like Geno's?  The horrible throw in the EZ to Smith, the overthrow off Marshalls fingers, the throw to a DL, the horrible throw in the first quarter vs the Browns.  Going in for a score.  Lol, sure, your eye test? 

How about you roll reality around.  He beat a shltty Browns team.  His defense beat the Colts, 5 turnovers and wasn't able to put the NFL average point total up and then embarrassed himself losing to a winless Eagle team.  

He does nothing better than Geno can do.  Without th possibly of an upside. Not throw deep, not run, not throw into a tight space, not run, not avoid the INT. 

it tells me Geno may not have enough practice time.  I'm not making rediculous statements after he won the job though. Keep stroking yourself that Geno was the starter because of his leg.  They signed Fitz and told him he was here to be the backup.  If he wanted to start go look somewhere else. 

Ftiz has never won more than 6.  But he's 2-1.  A shltty rookie Geno, with scrub WRs won 8.  

None of Fitzs picks look like Geno's?  The horrible throw in the EZ to Smith, the overthrow off Marshalls fingers, the throw to a DL, the horrible throw in the first quarter vs the Browns.  Going in for a score.  Lol, sure, your eye test? 

How about you roll reality around.  He beat a shltty Browns team.  His defense beat the Colts, 5 turnovers and wasn't able to put the NFL average point total up and then embarrassed himself losing to a winless Eagle team.  

He does nothing better than Geno can do.  Without th possibly of an upside. Not throw deep, not run, not throw into a tight space, not run, not avoid the INT. 

I get it. You like Geno.  The whole forum gets it.  The is no thread where you have not attempted to spin and make excuses for QB play which ranked 38th amongst other QB starters in the league with enough starts to qualify.  38th in a league of 32 teams and we Jets fans got to watch all of them in glorious color.

As nondescript as Fitzpatrick is he has never ever been that bad.

Geno has played on a team with a very good defense all of his career.  He just keeps giving the ball to the other team.  The QB bar was set so low by Geno that most of us would settle for a QB who simply does not lose the game for the Jets.  Most of us consider that is a major upgrade over what we have been getting. 

Now it's practice time...LOL.

I get it. You like Geno.  The whole forum gets it.  The is no thread where you have not attempted to spin and make excuses for QB play which ranked 38th amongst other QB starters in the league with enough starts to qualify.  38th in a league of 32 teams and we Jets fans got to watch all of them in glorious color.

LOL yep.  People keep calling Fitzpatrick "just a backup".  Meanwhile 6 backups were better than Geno.  Awesome. 

Now there's a quality of look for interceptions? Lol OMFG!!  

Sure there is.  Some are tipped.... some are the result of the receiver maybe not fighting the defender for the ball and some of them hit the defender smack between the numbers with a receiver nowhere in sight.  Of course they look different.

Sure there is.  Some are tipped.... some are the result of the receiver maybe not fighting the defender for the ball and some of them hit the defender smack between the numbers with a receiver nowhere in sight.  Of course they look different.

So all of Fitz's ints are because his receivers don't fight for the ball or are tipped- right. But all of Geno's were because he hit the defenders right in the numbers. 

Geno has played on a team with a very good defense all of his career.  He just keeps giving the ball to the other team.  The QB bar was set so low by Geno that most of us would settle for a QB who simply does not lose the game for the Jets.  Most of us consider that is a major upgrade over what we have been getting. 

no I like whoever I think brings more to the table.  The whole forum gets that you hate Geno.  That you're too stubborn to admit that Geno won the competition we all wanted.  That he brings more to the table.  But more importantly doesn't pass your eye test.  Because according to you Fitz hasn't thrown a bad pick, wins etc.  

And has never been bad.  He was great yesterday and a week ago,  we all are just Geno lovers.  You on th other hand are fair, evenhanded and of course have th eye test to fall back in when stats say what you don't want thto m to say.  

Now Geno had th benefit of playing as a rookie without WRs worth a damn.  Except to your tainted eyes,  when not a single sane person would agree that Geno did have the same level of WRs as Fitz you're now on he had the benefit of a defens.  Lol, what next?  geno had a top notch OC and HC? 

No, most don't consider what they've seen a major upgrade.  What most would like is a chance to see what the coaching staff saw in the summer and to see if he can take the next step.  Not be so-******* pig headed that you can't even consider that he may improve which is the best thing for this team.  No matter how much that would bother you.  You've been calling anyone who wants this a Geno fan boy and worse to somehow make your well thought out argument that he just can't improve sound smarter

dude some of your descriptions of int's are directly the cause of Fitz's int's, because he has to lob them, so all his deep passes will be fought over or tipped. So whenever Fitz goes deep it's a int waiting to happen. He can't lead his receivers deep if they got separation.  That's his whole problem, when our receivers seperates, by the time the ball gets to him the defender is back in the play. Plus Fitz also throws to defenders he didn't see, but thankfully most are dropped. Cb's know they can jump the routes because his throws are slow with no velocity. 

Now it's practice time...LOL.

wtf are you talking about?  You almost made more s nose when all you did was repeat yourself all during the game.  Geno sucks, over and over.  As if to convince people Fitz was playing well because of Geno sucks comments. 

wtf are you talking about?  You almost made more s nose when all you did was repeat yourself all during the game.  Geno sucks, over and over.  As if to convince people Fitz was playing well because of Geno sucks comments. 

Where did I say Fitzy was playing well?

We've been through this a lot here.  Good QB's hit WR's even when they're not open.  Sanchez had the same problem of holding onto the ball even though people at the game said there WERE receivers open.  QB's who constantly require perfect circumstances around them are not QB's who can start in this league.

Stop this nonsense. Tom Brady couldn't work with the dogsh*t Geno had to deal with. I was all for replacing Geno this past offseason. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and we were left with the choice of Geno and Fitz. Geno outplayed Fitz in TC and not surprisingly the same issues that plagued him in camp are showing up in the games. Geno deserves a shot.

We had a very good defense last year ? Why did we spend all that money on defense in the offseason then?

dude some of your descriptions of int's are directly the cause of Fitz's int's, because he has to lob them, so all his deep passes will be fought over or tipped. So whenever Fitz goes deep it's a int waiting to happen. He can't lead his receivers deep if they got separation.  That's his whole problem, when our receivers seperates, by the time the ball gets to him the defender is back in the play. Plus Fitz also throws to defenders he didn't see, but thankfully most are dropped. Cb's know they can jump the routes because his throws are slow with no velocity. 

Your point which has some merit is that Fitz cannot get the ball to the open receiver on deeper throws.  My point is that Geno has that problem as well (inaccuracy), probably worse on deep throws because he is simply inaccurate BUT he also just has pure brain-farts where he seems to throw it nowhere near a receiver and directly to a defender (awareness).  I have not seen that yet from Fitz 

... (snip)

It tells me the exact opposite.  He had not "won" anything.  If he had and the decision was an actual merit-based evaluation of their relative QB skills then I think they would not have been so quick to name Fitz as the starter.

No, it is far more reasonable and a better fit for the facts here to assume that no firm choice had been made (because they had seen ZERO at that point).  It is reasonable to feel that the FO simply did not want to go into training camp with an open QB competition where every story every day would be parsing which of them got the most snaps with which set of receivers and who was "winning" the QB competition.  Much smarter especially if the "backup" is still rehabbing from a serious injury.  The real test, i.e. an actual effing preseason game or two would tell the tale and still give them time to make the change if Geno was still the same putrid Geno. 

Stop this nonsense. Tom Brady couldn't work with the dogsh*t Geno had to deal with. I was all for replacing Geno this past offseason. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and we were left with the choice of Geno and Fitz. Geno outplayed Fitz in TC and not surprisingly the same issues that plagued him in camp are showing up in the games. Geno deserves a shot.

That is exactly why people think he is the greatest of all time.  Year in and year out he has taken a bunch of no name scrubs and turned them into gold.  Your statement is flat out wrong.

That is exactly why people think he is the greatest of all time.  Year in and year out he has taken a bunch of no name scrubs and turned them into gold.  Your statement is flat out wrong.

We heard that same line of thinking with Sanchez too.  Every single season.  "No QB in the world could work with this o-line, OC, and weapons!"  Yes, yes they can.  Because good QB's make the 10 guys around them look good and make their coaches look smart.  Bad QB's are left with nothing but excuses.  The game has never been easier for QB's, making it far easier to determine who the bad QB's are. 

Fitz is what he is ...a serviceable backup who will hold the fort for awhile. It makes sense that at some point this year, probably sooner rather than later, Geno will play. Bowles and Mac have to see plenty of him in real action so they can make an honest evaluation of him going forward. They seem to like Petty, but he probably needs 2 years to be ready to compete. This season has to be the year the Jets either fish or cut bait with Geno. I find it hard to believe that the Jets traded for Marshall, and drafted Devin Smith, to play with Fitzpatrick. When Geno is ready, he'll play. It might be painful, but longer term it's the right decision for the team.

We heard that same line of thinking with Sanchez too.  Every single season.  "No QB in the world could work with this o-line, OC, and weapons!"  Yes, yes they can.  Because good QB's make the 10 guys around them look good and make their coaches look smart.  Bad QB's are left with nothing but excuses.  The game has never been easier for QB's, making it far easier to determine who the bad QB's are. 

We heard it with Gholston too (Playing out of position, three different DCs in three years, HC is conducting a vendetta against him).... the longer into the experiment we went the more bizarre the excuses became.

Same thing with Steven Hill

Same thing with Sanchez

And now Geno Smith.

Blah, blah, blah... unlimited potential....

Blah, blah, blah... You just don't pass on this kind of talent... 

Blah, blah, blah... hasn't been given a real chance to succeed.  Have you seen the scrubs playing around him?

Blah, blah, blah... Hey he wasn't the ONLY reason the Jets lost (as if somehow, a bad performance by the defense or special teams absolves Geno of playing like sh1t)

Blah, blah, blah... change in coaches have set his development back...

Blah, blah, blah... <insert name> was bad for years before he finally got it and turned into a hall of fame player

and so on and so forth

<edited to add>

My personal favorite is the future hall of famer reference.  A bit like the old "Gayle Sayers could not gain yards behind THAT offensive line".  First off it is impossible to disprove this kind of argument and secondly it kinda sorta leaves the impression that we might have a Gayle Sayers or a John Elway on the roster.  If you apply that logic all you need to do is find a single lottery winner anywhere and use them as proof that playing the lottery is never a bad idea (it is a bad idea) and all it takes is a stay the course approach (it does not).

This needs its own thread, since its become a common theme in all the other threads.

Seems to me that the main argument for starting Geno are his PHYSICAL TOOLZ, i.e. a SHTRONG arm that will have DBs scampering out of fear. But how effective is he when throwing the ball downfield? Let's look at some numbers from last year.

Obviously, the pro Geno guys will retort with the old 'HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY WEAPONS BRO!!!!111'.

But equally inexperienced rooks like Teddy Bridgewater and Zach Mettenberger had no WEAPONS either...yet, still had much better accuracy throwing deep? Hell, they might have been a little bit better if they had Eric Decker for 15 games, or Percy Harvin.

Based on what we now know, does Geno really deserve to start on the basis of having a strong arm...even though he has proven to be horribly inaccurate when he gets plenty of time to throw?

Accuracy is accuray.  Your receivers are your receivers.  Geno has a powerful arm.  Naked eye, no stats, my recollection is that he is rotten at the long pass.  Sure he has hit one or two.  But overall, not so good.

Archived