Is Geno Smith a GOOD DEEP BALL THROWER?

predator_05

Accuracy is accuray.  Your receivers are your receivers.  Geno has a powerful arm.  Naked eye, no stats, my recollection is that he is rotten at the long pass.  Sure he has hit one or two.  But overall, not so good.

If Geno could just improve his accuracy on short, intermediary, deep, and hail mary passes, he'd probably be pretty good.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Geno could just improve his accuracy on short, intermediary, deep, and hail mary passes, he'd probably be pretty good.

Accurate college QBs are prized because by and large I do not think this is a learned skill.  You either have it or you don't.

Sorta like an IQ....

Oh wait...

Why do people act like Fitzpatrick can't run?  Because he is a white guy with a hipster beard?  The guy is coming off a broken leg.  He was  a very good scrambler when he first came into the league. He gave the Jets trouble with his legs when he was with the Bengals and they were using him on designed runs.

In 2005?

Why do people act like Fitzpatrick can't run?  Because he is a white guy with a hipster beard?  The guy is coming off a broken leg.  He was  a very good scrambler when he first came into the league. He gave the Jets trouble with his legs when he was with the Bengals and they were using him on designed runs.

You answered your own question. Plus he's now getting up there in years .

Whenever.   He is old and broke his leg.  He is not a statue. 

For the record - 2013-2014 Geno Smith went 131 for 604 (4.6 ypc) + 7 TDs and Fitzpatrick went 93 for 409 (a little under 4.4 ypc) + 5TDs.  Geno is faster, but let's not act like we are comparing Tarkenton and Bernie Kosar

You answered your own question. Plus he's now getting up there in years .

Look at the numbers above.  Is that a significant difference?  If you think the yardage and two TD difference is significant, note that GENO played in 30 games, starting 29 over that period while Fitzpatrick played in 23, starting 21.

Look at the numbers above.  Is that a significant difference?  If you think the yardage and two TD difference is significant, note that GENO played in 30 games, starting 29 over that period while Fitzpatrick played in 23, starting 21.

He's coming off a broken leg, have you seen him run at all in preseason, in TC , in practices , he's not even moving out of the pocket. There was one play on Sunday before half where he could have walked into the endzone but decided to throw it instead.  I'm not saying he was never mobile , just not now.

We heard that same line of thinking with Sanchez too.  Every single season.  "No QB in the world could work with this o-line, OC, and weapons!"  Yes, yes they can.  Because good QB's make the 10 guys around them look good and make their coaches look smart.  Bad QB's are left with nothing but excuses.  The game has never been easier for QB's, making it far easier to determine who the bad QB's are. 

So if you're a top 5 QB of all time you can work with no oline or legit weapons. 

Woopty doo. 

Again, stop confusing good qb's and elite qb's. 

So if you're a top 5 QB of all time you can work with no oline or legit weapons. 

Woopty doo. 

dalton is a good example of a guy who is night and day when you put talent around him. Even cutler was able to lead one of the top passing offenses in the league when the Bears had players 

Woopty doo. 

We're not talking about playing alongside High School players here.  We're saying that both good and bad QB's can make it work with below average guys.  Hell, even Russell Wilson is suffering from one of the worst o-lines in the game, which has been pretty bad since he got there.  But he's still considered a good or great QB, and will make it work.  Both good and great QB's can work with what they have.  Bad QB's have nothing but a trail of excuses.  And it's very, very possible that a bad QB can still be bad even if his weapons and o-line are below average. 

Acting like NO QB has ever still been able to produce with substandard talent is a lie, straight up.

We're not talking about playing alongside High School players here.  We're saying that both good and bad QB's can make it work with below average guys.  Hell, even Russell Wilson is suffering from one of the worst o-lines in the game, which has been pretty bad since he got there.  But he's still considered a good or great QB, and will make it work.  Both good and great QB's can work with what they have.  Bad QB's have nothing but a trail of excuses.  And it's very, very possible that a bad QB can still be bad even if his weapons and o-line are below average. 

Acting like NO QB has ever still been able to produce with substandard talent is a lie, straight up.

Im not the one acting here or assuming that this is Friday Night Lights. Im also not the one that backed the notion that a substandard young QB cant produce with good/great talent around him, which is something that you cannot say Geno has had with a straight face. I didnt say that no QB has ever been able to produce with substandard Talent...you just confirmed that Brady has done it. My problem is making it seem like Geno cannot do anything with talent that he's never had around him as if success is only based on the QB and if your QB isnt "Tom Brady" elite then you cant win....then in the same convo support Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Also, Russell Wilson is a very good talent in himself, along with the fact that he has help on the offense in "the beast" running the ball and a defense that has dominated since he's been a seahawk. 

Geno Smith has not had a 1,000+ yard rusher, he hasnt had a #1 defense and he's not as good talent wise as a Russell Wilson. What im explaining here to you is that there is a difference between what you're saying, which to an extent you have a point, but you kill the point every time you mention great QB's, either of all time or at present. 

Please do not misquote.  The correct quote is "Whoopty damn doo!"

tumblr_kzsm0itMWY1qay78vo1_400.jpg

The ultimate example of a multi million dollar talent and a 10 cent brain.  The guy could have been one of the all time greats; was probably, talent wise the best Power Forward I have ever seen (definitely right up there).   

The ultimate example of a multi million dollar talent and a 10 cent brain.  The guy could have been one of the all time greats; was probably, talent wise the best Power Forward I have ever seen (definitely right up there).   

that seems to be a trait of SU players in the NBA

that guy didn't care about nothing I remember the nets traded him to the 76ers for bust 7'6 Center Shawn Bradley and he ballooned to 320 lbs during the season at the ripe old age of 28

Fitz has no accuracy on deep balls, he just throws it up for grabs hoping his receiver can make a play.

and Geno has been accurate?  I've seen him throw the ball out of bounds trying to hit receivers running the post or missing WR's by 10 yards who were open on a Go route

there is some validity to the newfound Geno Smith love but Fitz absolutely should get one more start to see if he can be effective

and Geno has been accurate?  I've seen him throw the ball out of bounds trying to hit receivers running the post or missing WR's by 10 yards who were open on a Go

don't confuse my criticism of Fitz w/ support of Geno.  to be fair, geno has never had the weapons to work with that Fitz has had this season though.

20 and 10.  20 and 10, 20 and 10.  Guy had a heart condition his whole career and didn't bitch about it.  I've heard he had an alcohol problem, and from a guy with the league office that during the 1994 World Championships that Shaq was abusing Mourning and Kemp, that Coleman asked to match up with him and abused Shaq for a half hour.  Then he supposedly went right back to drinking.  Keith Smart doesn't get lucky and the Olympics are in '94 instead of '92/'96 and his legacy is completely different.

Fitz has no accuracy on deep balls, he just throws it up for grabs hoping his receiver can make a play.

That's not true. He always gets it right between the receiver and the coverage. But at least it's within a five foot radius. Problem is not accuracy, it's arm strength. He throws a weak come-back ball on anything over thirty yards. Geno is like a blind squirrel throwing darts.

20 and 10.  20 and 10, 20 and 10.  Guy had a heart condition his whole career and didn't bitch about it.  I've heard he had an alcohol problem, and from a guy with the league office that during the 1994 World Championships that Shaq was abusing Mourning and Kemp, that Coleman asked to match up with him and abused Shaq for a half hour.  Then he supposedly went right back to drinking.  Keith Smart doesn't get lucky and the Olympics are in '94 instead of '92/'96 and his legacy is completely different.

what did Smart's shot have to do w/ the Olympics in '94?

after Smart hit that shot, SU had 5 seconds on the clock.  they waited until 1 sec left to call TO. 

That's not true. He always gets it right between the receiver and the coverage. But at least it's within a five foot radius. Problem is not accuracy, it's arm strength. He throws a weak come-back ball on anything over thirty yards. Geno is like a blind squirrel throwing darts.

he gives the defense a better chance to catch it than the receivers

what did Smart's shot have to do w/ the Olympics in '94?

after Smart hit that shot, SU had 5 seconds on the clock.  they waited until 1 sec left to call TO. 

You ask a question and then reference the answer.  Quite typical.  The attitude fits perfectly in this thread. 

Coleman was seconds from winning the national title.  He was also on Dream Team II which one the FIBA world championships, where Team USA had been embarrassed (bronze) in 1990 and wouldn't win again until 2010, Kevin Durant.  It was a pretty big deal, but not the gold medal the public remembers.

fins first darts.

You ask a question and then reference the answer.  Quite typical.  The attitude fits perfectly in this thread. 

Coleman was seconds from winning the national title.  He was also on Dream Team II which one the FIBA world championships, where Team USA had been embarrassed (bronze) in 1990 and wouldn't win again until 2010, Kevin Durant.  It was a pretty big deal, but not the gold medal the public remembers.

I am just wondering how that loss would have changed the Olympics from 1992 to 1994?

the reason we sent the Dream team was b/c we were getting beat.  of course the 1994 world championships wouldn't be as big as the Olympics.  we lost in the world championships w/ K too but no one remembers, it's about the Olympics.

I am not sure what you are whining about either.

Archived