Jets signed safety Dion Bailey

Raideraholic

Safety Dion Bailey lands with the New York Jets

Safety Dion Bailey, who was placed on waivers on Saturday by the Seattle Seahawks to clear a roster spot for safety Kam Chancellor, has been claimed off waivers by the New York Jets.

Bailey, who was signed by Seattle as an undrafted free agent in 2014, started in place of Chancellor at strong safety in Seattle's Week 1 loss at St. Louis while Chancellor was holding out. Bailey's stumble in coverage late in the St. Louis game allowed a game-tying touchdown to Rams tight end Lance Kendricks. Bailey did not start the following week at Green Bay.

To make room for Bailey, the Jets waived safety Ronald Martin, whom they had claimed from the Seahawks after he was waived at the end of the preseason.

Photo of Dion Bailey
GRADE
5.2?
  • 4.66 SEC
  • 34.0 INCH
  • 113.0 INCH
  • 6.97 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 4.15 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 11.88 SEC
    Top Performer
BLUE STAR  =  TOP PERFORMER
  • 6'0"HEIGHT
  • 32"ARM LENGTH
  • 201LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Two-time second-team All-Pac-12 selection (2011 and 2013). 2013: Switched to safety after playing linebacker the previous two seasons. Made nine starts in 14 games played. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection after starting in all 13 games and leading the team with four interceptions. 2011: Played and started in 11 games. Moved from safety to linebacker prior ro spring practice. Missed one game due to a concussion. 2010: Redshirted.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good hands to intercept. Was an impact defender as a redshirt freshman despite playing out of place as an undersized linebacker.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks experience in deep coverage. Also lacks top-end speed to keep pace with slot receivers. Still developing positional instincts and feel for route combinations. Takes some inaccurate angles. Goes low and misses tackles. Has tweener traits. Durability is a concern.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE

Classic tweener whose best shot in the pros could come as a nickel safety/linebacker, where he could maximize his ball skills and be deployed to blitz. Could make his biggest mark on special teams.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Photo of Dion Bailey
GRADE
5.2?
  • 4.66 SEC
  • 34.0 INCH
  • 113.0 INCH
  • 6.97 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 4.15 SEC
    Top Performer
  • 11.88 SEC
    Top Performer
BLUE STAR  =  TOP PERFORMER
  • 6'0"HEIGHT
  • 32"ARM LENGTH
  • 201LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2"HANDS

OVERVIEW

Two-time second-team All-Pac-12 selection (2011 and 2013). 2013: Switched to safety after playing linebacker the previous two seasons. Made nine starts in 14 games played. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection after starting in all 13 games and leading the team with four interceptions. 2011: Played and started in 11 games. Moved from safety to linebacker prior ro spring practice. Missed one game due to a concussion. 2010: Redshirted.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Good hands to intercept. Was an impact defender as a redshirt freshman despite playing out of place as an undersized linebacker.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks experience in deep coverage. Also lacks top-end speed to keep pace with slot receivers. Still developing positional instincts and feel for route combinations. Takes some inaccurate angles. Goes low and misses tackles. Has tweener traits. Durability is a concern.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE

Classic tweener whose best shot in the pros could come as a nickel safety/linebacker, where he could maximize his ball skills and be deployed to blitz. Could make his biggest mark on special teams.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Wonder if Bowels wants to try to make him a hybrid LB?

By Glenn Naughton   Just weeks after grabbing former Seahawks safety Ronald Martin, the Jets cut ties with the defensive back in order to make room for another Seattle safety, Dion Bailey. Bailey, who started the team’s season opener became expendable when All-World starter Kam Chancellor ended his holdout in a contract dispute with ownership. […]

Click here to read the full story...

I reserve judgement until Raiderhomer chimes in.  He correctly predicted Revis demise and that the secondary is a question

Again only three games into the season to draw any conclusions  on anything.( including Jet secondary).        Let's wait for the season to play out , before we start to do a victory lap.   Just like I'm not ready to claim victory on my bet ( not with you)which Teams Qb has higher Qb rating for the season.( have to like my chances right now,  but still a whole a lot of football to be played- things can change)

Looking forward to week eight matchup between both our teams.    you like your defense / secondary, and I like the Qb/ offensive weapons the Raiders have now. Something has to give.

Again only three games into the season to draw any conclusions  on anything.( including Jet secondary).        Let's wait for the season to play out , before we start to do a victory lap.   Just like I'm not ready to claim victory on my bet ( not with you)which Teams Qb has higher Qb rating for the season.( have to like my chances right now,  but still a whole a lot of football to be played- things can change)

Looking forward to week eight matchup between both our teams.    you like your defense / secondary, and I like the Qb/ offensive weapons the Raiders have now. Something has to give.

so let's recap.  Before the season started, before the preseason started you told me the Jets secondary was an area of concern.  And Revis was in the decline, no where near his old self. Now that you can't find anyone to agree with that foolish set of comments you want to preach patience?  Lol. 

Something has to give?  The defense will smother the Raiders and your defense sucks

so let's recap.  Before the season started, before the preseason started you told me the Jets secondary was an area of concern.  And Revis was in the decline, no where near his old self. Now that you can't find anyone to agree with that foolish set of comments you want to preach patience?  Lol. 

Something has to give?  The defense will smother the Raiders and your defense sucks

We don't have to recap anything as I know what I said.   I could careless if anyone agrees with me- because what happens on the field will eventually prove if I was right or wrong,      Let's wait till we get farther into the season to get a true gage on things.  Three games don't make a season or prove your point.   So far the first three Jet opponents what offense has been impressive in other games , that have you so impressed by Jets secondary.( jumping the gun a little early)

We don't have to recap anything as I know what I said.   I could careless if anyone agrees with me- because what happens on the field will eventually prove if I was right or wrong,      Let's wait till we get farther into the season to get a true gage on things.  Three games don't make a season or prove your point.   So far the first three Jet opponents what offense has been impressive in other games , that have you so impressed by Jets secondary.( jumping the gun a little early)

Except what you say is never proven right, you are always wrong!!!

You better not care if people agree with you, you've been trolling around Jet boards for years making these kinds of silly predictions which all fall flat.  Youre wrong pretty much every time you type.  It is amazing.

Whats impressive about the Jets secondary?  LOL, maybe you should just look at what theyve done.

You better not care if people agree with you, you've been trolling around Jet boards for years making these kinds of silly predictions which all fall flat.  Youre wrong pretty much every time you type.  It is amazing.

Whats impressive about the Jets secondary?  LOL, maybe you should just look at what theyve done.

Lmao only insecure posters go way off the reservoir and have to try and bring up something that doesn't have anything to do with the topic.  ( you're really never right yourself and that why you're jumping the gun on everything three weeks in the season- way to early to make any conclusion from Jet secondary to Raiders defense.).   When you could just wait till we get much further into the season to make your case.  So keep making your generalizations now because it's going to be so much more funny later on.  let's see if your popping off about that Jet secondary after week 8 game.

Raiders haven't had 2 wins in a season for raiderholic maybe since he was born, let alone after 3 weeks...he needs to talk trash during a football season for the first time...maybe ever.  Let him have his fun.  He knows deep down they will return to being the butthole of NFL franchises they are any moment now that no one takes seriously....

Lmao only insecure posters go way off the reservoir and have to try and bring up something that doesn't have anything to do with the topic.  ( you're really never right yourself and that why you're jumping the gun on everything three weeks in the season- way to early to make any conclusion from Jet secondary to Raiders defense.).   When you could just wait till we get much further into the season to make your case.  So keep making your generalizations now because it's going to be so much more funny later on.  let's see if your popping off about that Jet secondary after week 8 game.

yeah insecure posters who are talking to someone who makes one rosy prediction after another, year after year about the Raiders and never is right.  

Bit you're right, we can't make a prediction about the Jets secondary

Off the reservoir?

Archived