Deep Trouble for Jets, Fitzpatrick

JetNation

You could use that quote to describe our starting and backup QB for basically every year in the last 16 seasons.  

its an even stranger debate when you realize fitzpatrick was considered to be the best back-up, and Geno was regarded as the worst starter, so they are basically the same player from a performance level standpoint, just with different skill sets.  

If Devin Smith out-muscles the defender just once on one of those bombs, then we're not talking about this. I feel like Devin's lack of reps showed up as he sort of contorted his body to try and catch the ball around the defender, rather than just playing the ball, going after it and taking it out of the air.

Hopefully this is a first game, lack of reps thing, and not a we drafted a soft WR to be the 'go up and fight for it guy' issue.

If Devin Smith out-muscles the defender just once on one of those bombs, then we're not talking about this. I feel like Devin's lack of reps showed up as he sort of contorted his body to try and catch the ball around the defender, rather than just playing the ball, going after it and taking it out of the air.

Hopefully this is a first game, lack of reps thing, and not a we drafted a soft WR to be the 'go up and fight for it guy' issue.

I was about 4-5 beers deep even before the game started so I might be way off on this, but from what I remember wasn't he contorting his body weird because he was too far downfield already and the balls were underthrown?

I was about 4-5 beers deep even before the game started so I might be way off on this, but from what I remember wasn't he contorting his body weird because he was too far downfield already and the balls were underthrown?

ball was thrown bad ... Perfect world the WR makes the adjustment to the ball in the air & saves him

The balls were throw to the inside, and the defensive back had position, rather than going through him or over him to make a play on the ball... if nothing else, he makes a play on the ball, and the DB doesn't turn around, and Devin draws a flag. Instead, he allowed the DB to take position, turn around and make a play on the ball himself, leaving Smith to gently try and work around him.

The balls weren't perfectly thrown, I'm not arguing that at all... all I'm saying is that a veteran, or naturally physical, WR makes a play on the ball and either comes down with it or draws the flag at least once in this day and age of officiating. Devin almost tried to work around the DB as if he was afraid he'd get called for offensive PI.

• 2 months later...

Archived