Broken jaw strangely could end up saving Geno Smith’s career

JetBlue

Geno Smith tried to take the high road as he talked about his broken jaw, which is “100 percent” healed, and the prospect he won’t be the Jets starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.

“You want to be out there. I’m not happy,” Smith said Thursday at the Jets practice facility in Florham Park, N.J. “But it’s not one of those things where it’s going to change my approach, going to change the way I approach teammates or the way we go about our business. I’m not bitter about it. I understand why. I’m going to go out and keep supporting my teammates.”

Then he was asked how things are going working behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was signed to be Smith’s backup this year but has led the Jets to a 2-0 start. That’s when Smith’s face really lit up for perhaps the first time since Aug. 11, when linebacker IK Enemkpali punched him in the face in the Jets locker room, breaking his jaw.

“Fitz has been awesome,” Smith said. “He’s a great guy to learn from. Having him as an asset is wonderful because I can learn from him. That’s what I’m doing right now.”

That is precisely why this respite from being an NFL starter might just be the best thing for Smith’s career in the long run.   After being selected in the second round of the 2013 draft, he won the starting job as a rookie by default when Mark Sanchez was injured during the preseason. Since then, the daily scrutiny and the pressure to be perfect has been immense. There has never been a chance for Smith to relax and learn from a veteran.

Sanchez was in no position to be a mentor after injuring his shoulder, while Michael Vick seemed a bit disconnected last season, which is why he wasn’t asked to return. Fitzpatrick, meanwhile, is a 32-year-old 11-year veteran, who has been through it all and seen it all, which can only help Smith.

“Me and [rookie] Bryce [Petty] soak up every bit of knowledge we can from him,” Smith said. “He’s a savvy vet guy that’s been in the league a number of years. He knows the game, so we can learn a lot from him.”

Modal Triggergeno-2.jpg?w=230&h=300
Geno Smith and Brent Qvale stretch during practice on Wednesday.Photo: Bill Kostroun

Smith has been cleared by doctors to play again and he took reps with both the scout team and regular offense Thursday. Coach Todd Bowles said he’ll wait until “probably Saturday” to announce who the backup quarterback will be for Sunday’s game against the Eagles at MetLife Stadium.

Smith would likely have the edge given his experience over Petty, the fourth-round selection from Baylor. Petty, who looks like he has potential, is in a perfect spot, being able to learn life in the NFL without the pressure of having to produce as a rookie. Smith didn’t have that luxury and his play has been riddled with inconsistency.
Now he has a chance to watch and learn from Fitzpatrick. It’s not like he has a choice.

“I understand how things work,” Smith said. “We’re on a roll right now, so I’m not opposed to it. Obviously, as a competitor I’d love to be out there competing with my guys. But you’ve got to understand the decision was made and it’s out of my control. I’m going to control the things I can control which is being a great teammate and continue to lead the guys even from the back and once I do get the chance whether it happens here or wherever I’m ready.”

The “here or wherever” comment makes it clear Smith, 24, knows his long-term future may not be with the Jets, especially if Petty develops. For now, Fitzpatrick will be hard to shake out of the starting role. Fitzpatrick has completed 37 of 58 passes for 423 yards and four touchdowns. He has thrown two interceptions and been sacked once. He is the Jets starter and leader now. If Smith is smart, he’ll make the most from watching from the sidelines.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/24/geno-smith-talks-about-new-life-as-jets-backup-qb/

I hope maybe some folks on this forum can cut the guy some slack.  I don't remember a Jets player being as "hated" as Geno by some. It is fine to not like a player or not think he is any good but for some reason, when it comes to Geno, it has reached irrational proportions.   I hope he gets another chance at some point; I think he will make the most of it. 

I hope maybe some folks on this forum can cut the guy some slack.  I don't remember a Jets player being as "hated" as Geno by some. It is fine to not like a player or not think he is any good but for some reason, when it comes to Geno, it has reached irrational proportions.   I hope he gets another chance at some point; I think he will make the most of it. 

I agree 100% great post. 

He will very likely get another chance to shine,  Fitzparick is not good enough to go through a full season with a long series of really good performances.  I also think having him sit, even by force is a good thing for him.  I don't think the Jets owe him a thing at this point and i also am highly doubtful he can over come his short comings at Qb but I want the best guy playing for the Jets this year, if he gets his chance and is better than Fitzpatick so be it, best man wins.

It is amazing.  You say that you hope it all works with Geno here, that the best case scenario is that he is the guy and we can move ahead looking for a QB and you're attacked for being a Geno fan boy.  Just for hoping the younger, stronger, faster guy gets it.  Its at the point where people are more interested in being right about predicting his exit from here and don't want to see him turn it around.

I don't know how many people actually "hate" the guy.  For me, I don't hate players unless they are terrible people, not for playing poorly.

People on this site tend to go to extremes.  Someone is either HOF or hot garbage.  If you happen to think Fitz is better than Geno, you are an apologist (instead of just thinking Fitz is the better of two unhappy choices.

For me, if he gets another chance and succeeds, that would be great.  But, in fairness, he was giving 2+ years and although he did not have good teams or good coaching, he IMO hasn't shown much.  A flash here, a flash there.  To me it comes to 3 points:

1. He has never demonstrated the ability to read defenses.

2. He comes across as an egocentric brat (IMO)

3. He continues to make poor decisions: texting during meetings, missing meetings, leaving draft early, tossing the ball around in parking lot before being ready to practice...

The list keeps coming.  He never apologizes for any of it, he just keeps doing it.

I hope I am wrong.  It is obvious to me that not only is Fitz not likely to win the big game, but he is clearly not the future of the Jets.  It would be great if Geno was the franchise QB and with this team, GM and coach, we could go a long way.  Personally I am not convinced that he will ever truly grow up.  Again, it would be great if it turned out that way, but after almost 3 years, I am not counting on it.

It is amazing.  You say that you hope it all works with Geno here, that the best case scenario is that he is the guy and we can move ahead looking for a QB and you're attacked for being a Geno fan boy.  Just for hoping the younger, stronger, faster guy gets it.  Its at the point where people are more interested in being right about predicting his exit from here and don't want to see him turn it around.

Great post, I'm not A Geno fan TBH, but I WANT him to be the answer **** being right, and I already know Fitz isn't so I want to see if in his 3rd year under a professional coaching staff for the first time in his career with actual weapons, and a defense if he can beat the odds, prove me wrong and be our answer. 

I don't know how many people actually "hate" the guy.  For me, I don't hate players unless they are terrible people, not for playing poorly.

People on this site tend to go to extremes.  Someone is either HOF or hot garbage.  If you happen to think Fitz is better than Geno, you are an apologist (instead of just thinking Fitz is the better of two unhappy choices.

For me, if he gets another chance and succeeds, that would be great.  But, in fairness, he was giving 2+ years and although he did not have good teams or good coaching, he IMO hasn't shown much.  A flash here, a flash there.  To me it comes to 3 points:

1. He has never demonstrated the ability to read defenses.

2. He comes across as an egocentric brat (IMO)

3. He continues to make poor decisions: texting during meetings, missing meetings, leaving draft early, tossing the ball around in parking lot before being ready to practice...

The list keeps coming.  He never apologizes for any of it, he just keeps doing it.

I hope I am wrong.  It is obvious to me that not only is Fitz not likely to win the big game, but he is clearly not the future of the Jets.  It would be great if Geno was the franchise QB and with this team, GM and coach, we could go a long way.  Personally I am not convinced that he will ever truly grow up.  Again, it would be great if it turned out that way, but after almost 3 years, I am not counting on it.

I agree with most of this, but it's time to find out, now not next year.  Next year has to be the year for plan B if Geno isn't the answer, and the Jets can't find that out if he doesn't get the chance.  I get he screwed up in the locker room, and he deserved to sit and watch including this coming week, but after the bye week regaedless of how Fitz plays it's time to find out of Geno learned from the nonsense, and can be the answer for this franchise.  If not at least we know we need to start at the beginning at QB next season.  Probably going all in on Bradford if he shakes free.

I agree with most of this, but it's time to find out, now not next year.  Next year has to be the year for plan B if Geno isn't the answer, and the Jets can't find that out if he doesn't get the chance.  I get he screwed up in the locker room, and he deserved to sit and watch including this coming week, but after the bye week regaedless of how Fitz plays it's time to find out of Geno learned from the nonsense, and can be the answer for this franchise.  If not at least we know we need to start at the beginning at QB next season.  Probably going all in on Bradford if he shakes free.

Actually, IMO, they have already made their minds up about Geno.  I could be wrong, they could be wrong, but I think he is done here.  If Fitz starts making loosing a habit or gets hurt, Geno will get his shot.  Otherwise, I think he is done here.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Petty starts the last game or 2 (or comes in early) in the season if we are out of the playoff hunt.

Bowles preaches professionalism, hard-work, team, consistency.  I just don't think Bowles is a fan of Geno and neither he nor Mac are tied to him.  Just my thoughts.  Fortunately for Geno, I would expect he will get one more shot...

Looking at the schedule, if Fitz plays average, then I'm not quite sure when Geno gets to try and prove he has anything this year. There are no games on the schedule that I look at and say the Jets can't win it. Geno may get another shot, but I'm not sure it's with the Jets. His pettiness over $600 probably cost him his chance this year, barring an injury.

Oh good, another thread where JetBlue accuses his nemeses of having personal Internet vendettas against Geno Smith. Like a fine wine, like a barrel aged beer, like Villan's Glennon threads or SAR's Fireman Ed threads, or whatever psychotropic sedative joewilly is on during the day, these topics just get better with age.

are you kidding? there are jets fans who absolutely hated curtis martin. curtis martin!! the man was probably our best rb ever, and was a classy player to boot. and still he was hated for being a supposed "compiler"

jets fans can hate anybody

Oh good, another thread where JetBlue accuses his nemeses of having personal Internet vendettas against Geno Smith. Like a fine wine, like a barrel aged beer, like Villan's Glennon threads or SAR's Fireman Ed threads, or whatever psychotropic sedative joewilly is on during the day, these topics just get better with age.

The thread was created from an article. 

I'll take a thousand more JetBlue threads than the same whiney SOJF bitchatribes that usually spam the boards.

are you kidding? there are jets fans who absolutely hated curtis martin. curtis martin!! the man was probably our best rb ever, and was a classy player to boot. and still he was hated for being a supposed "compiler"

jets fans can hate anybody

Sorry not even close. Try again. 

I do not hate Geno Smith.  I have no personal feelings towards him, or most Jets players for that matter.

I'm a fan, it's just business.

In Geno's case, I simply hold no respect for his talent or supposed potential as an NFL #1 QB, based on my viewing of his first two seasons.

I love the Jets, and want whatever is best for them to win a title.

I do not believe Geno is that best thing.  Now, or ever.

Hence why I do not support his return as starter.

Actually, IMO, they have already made their minds up about Geno.  I could be wrong, they could be wrong, but I think he is done here.  If Fitz starts making loosing a habit or gets hurt, Geno will get his shot.  Otherwise, I think he is done here.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Petty starts the last game or 2 (or comes in early) in the season if we are out of the playoff hunt.

Bowles preaches professionalism, hard-work, team, consistency.  I just don't think Bowles is a fan of Geno and neither he nor Mac are tied to him.  Just my thoughts.  Fortunately for Geno, I would expect he will get one more shot...

No YOU have already made up your mind about Geno.  Please don't project your beliefs onto the coaching staff.  Both Bowles and Mac were prepared to have Geno be the starter so how do you come to this conclusion?  Because a hot headed teammate punched him and broke his jaw?  Sure I am clear that they were not happy about the incident and certainly Geno has his share of blame.   What I have read from Bowles is that Geno "is not ready" and needs practice time and reps before even being considered.  As you mentioned, if Fitz continues to play well enough to win, then Geno will stay firmly on the bench.  If he seriously struggles or gets hurt, Geno will play.  Petty is not playing unless both Geno and Fitz are hurt. 

The thread was created from an article. 

I'll take a thousand more JetBlue threads than the same whiney SOJF bitchatribes that usually spam the boards.

I have that clown on ignore so I have no idea why he even bothers to read anything I post. 

No YOU have already made up your mind about Geno.  Please don't project your beliefs onto the coaching staff.  Both Bowles and Mac were prepared to have Geno be the starter so how do you come to this conclusion?  

I don't know about projecting, but I think everyone is clouded by their own perceptions.  It it my opinion they are ready to move on.  Can't explain it.  They do some funny things, like having all 3 QBs active.  But, it could be that they were willing to give Geno the benefit of the doubt, and then the fight, the silly post after the fight, and playing catch with the neighborhood kid was too much.  It could also be that, after the fight, they saw the way the team/locker room didn't get Geno's back was a sign that he didn't have the leadership.

There have been rumors that the Jets tried to move around to get another QB before the draft.  Clearly they, like many fans, are not sold on Geno or Fitz.  Maybe before this last mess, they were leaning towards Geno.  Maybe now they are not.  Fitz is the 'savy' veteran, not the future for the team, but can contribute as a back up for a bit.  If Geno isn't the guy, he has no place here.

Again, this is my opinion clouded by own perspective (like everyone else).  I haven't 'made up my mind', but many on this site I don't see him getting better.  Fortunately, nothing I say here will effect the FO or coaching staff, so if I am projecting, it won't end anybody's career....

I have seen Jets fans bitch about a QB who was on a designed roll out to the right but missed a wide open receiver on the left side of the field.

Even those who break things down scan the field but refuse to point out what's actually going on in the pocket. Its actually hilarious.

I do not hate Geno Smith.  I have no personal feelings towards him, or most Jets players for that matter.

I'm a fan, it's just business.

In Geno's case, I simply hold no respect for his talent or supposed potential as an NFL #1 QB, based on my viewing of his first two seasons.

I love the Jets, and want whatever is best for them to win a title.

I do not believe Geno is that best thing.  Now, or ever.

Hence why I do not support his return as starter.

+1

I just think he is a bad QB and therefore that he is bad for the Jets.  I thought the same way about Mark Sanchez and I wished/wish him well with his career.

It is possible that Geno gets another shot this year.  If the Jets go say two games under .500 and the QB play is bad as it was on Sunday then I see him getting another shot.

I don't like Geno because of his attitude, but I wish him (and therefore the Jets) all the best. Imho the one thing he lacks is humility. Hopefully this will change now.

Is that really an important quality for an NFL QB? 

+1

I just think he is a bad QB and therefore that he is bad for the Jets.  I thought the same way about Mark Sanchez and I wished/wish him well with his career.

It is possible that Geno gets another shot this year.  If the Jets go say two games under .500 and the QB play is bad as it was on Sunday then I see him getting another shot.

Fitzpatrick needs a strong game this week to retain his job, IMO. He needs to be more productive, and he has to cut back on the turnovers - which was the one thing he was supposed to bring to the position. Gailey had a long history with Fitz before this season, and yet Geno was his guy here seemingly from the moment he got the job. If Geno is healthy and up to speed, I don't think he's gonna hesitate to recommend making a change at QB. And the bye week is the perfect time for such a change. 

Not sure. Fact new HC/GM went ASAP out after hiring and got Vet QB with system knowledge and drafted a 4th Rd QB tells me they think he wasn't long term answer. I could be wrong, but seems they want Petty as 2016 or latest 2017 QB. 

Trying to cover bases and preparing for the future is what all competent front offices should be doing. They have an opportunity to draft a guy that they believe has the skillset to play in this system but needs time to develop while trading for a guy who has experience running the system is exactly what they should have done if that was their best option at the time. And though I feel like they should have went a different direction regarding the QB they should have traded for, I can still see the logic in what they did. 

But for the fact that they allowed Geno to remain the 1st string guy throughout camp and Geno showed that he could run the scheme only added value on the back end having such a guy like Fitz as the #2 and Petty as the 3 learning. 

Trying to cover bases and preparing for the future is what all competent front offices should be doing. They have an opportunity to draft a guy that they believe has the skillset to play in this system but needs time to develop while trading for a guy who has experience running the system is exactly what they should have done if that was their best option at the time. And though I feel like they should have went a different direction regarding the QB they should have traded for, I can still see the logic in what they did. 

But for the fact that they allowed Geno to remain the 1st string guy throughout camp and Geno showed that he could run the scheme only added value on the back end having such a guy like Fitz as the #2 and Petty as the 3 learning. 

You pretty much nailed it here. Mac and Bowles have been  thorough and deliberate since they've been here, and they will be with Geno. I fully expect him to be playing, sooner rather than later, so they can truly evaluate him. They are going to want to get a large sample size of his abilities so they can make an informed decision regarding his future here. The only way to do it is to let him play. 

Not on the field, but in the locker room. I think it's hard to summon teammates around someone who seems ungrateful, bitter or childish. So it's part of being a mature guy, who can lead a team. That's what I miss in Geno.

I share in your doubts about Geno's leadership abilities. Just thought the humility comment a little odd. Seems to be something many pro athletes are lacking. 

Archived