Drew Brees and the Saints future

Morrissey

I dunno if this has been discussed, sorry if it i has but the Saints and Brees recently made some changes to his contract and from what I'm hearing and reading it makes it more likely he's traded or released after this season because of the Saints cap problems.

I dunno about you guys but I would be really really really in favor of bringing him in "to go for it" similar to what the Cardinals did with Warner and are now doing with Palmer. Obviously his shoulder is a concern, but if he's healthy having Marshall and Decker would make us an attractive destination for him.

Thoughts?

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 3

Do think the cost would be reasonable? He's going to be 37 in January. What would you give for him?

Something corny that protects us. Give them a conditional 3rd rounder that can become a 1st depending upon how many regular season and playoff games he plays in.

• Upvote 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/18341/drew-brees-contract-tweak-shouldnt-influence-future-decisions

Drew Brees' contract tweak shouldn't influence future decision

METAIRIE, La. – The New Orleans Saints made a simple restructure to quarterback Drew Brees’ contract, pushing $2.6 million in salary-cap costs from 2015 to 2016, according to ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates.

The Saints were slammed tight against this year’s salary cap because of the transactions, injured reserve moves and practice squad moves that add up during the season. So restructuring Brees’ deal gives them some wiggle room -- though ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder reported that the Saints are not expected to make a significant player acquisition with that space.

The Saints converted $5.2 million of Brees' current base salary into a signing bonus, so the cap cost would be spread over two years. They did the same thing with center Max Unger’s deal last month. And any cap space they don’t use this year can be carried over into next year, so there is really no harm in making such a move with any player.

However, Brees’ deal stands out because he is now set to count a whopping $30 million against the Saints’ cap in 2016 – the highest figure in the NFL and the highest by any one player dating back to at least 2000, according to ESPN Stats and Information. That’s one-fifth of the projected team cap of about $150 million.

That will only increase the speculation that the Saints might decide to either extend Brees’ contract beyond 2016 or consider trading or releasing him since he is 36 years old, the team has been heading south for two years, and they are already projected to be over the cap next year.

All of those options are viable. However, none of them changed significantly because of Brees’ most recent contract tweak.

A source confirmed to Werder that Brees' 2016 cap figure was inconsequential because it was already going to be among the highest in the NFL and it was already likely to encourage the Saints to renegotiate in the offseason.

Brees’ scheduled salary and bonuses of $20 million next year remain unchanged. The Saints will have to decide whether he’s worth that much money, but they already were facing the exact same decision.

The only difference now is that Brees will have $10 million in salary-cap charges next year instead of $7.4 million in salary-cap charges. But that money can’t be erased from the books whether the Saints keep Brees or release him.

If the Saints trade or release Brees next year, they now would be charged $10 million in “dead money” instead of $7.4 million.

I wrote last week that I think the Saints would be foolish to let Brees go. I think they should extend his contract, both because it would provide some short-term salary-cap relief and because I believe he’ll be their best option for a few more years.

The only way they should consider replacing Brees early is if they have a concrete plan in place to replace him – which I don’t think they have right now while rookie Garrett Grayson remains an unknown commodity.

It is a debate the Saints will have to discuss internally. But it’s not one that changed significantly with this latest contract tweak.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/18341/drew-brees-contract-tweak-shouldnt-influence-future-decisions

Drew Brees' contract tweak shouldn't influence future decision

METAIRIE, La. – The New Orleans Saints made a simple restructure to quarterback Drew Brees’ contract, pushing $2.6 million in salary-cap costs from 2015 to 2016, according to ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates.

The Saints were slammed tight against this year’s salary cap because of the transactions, injured reserve moves and practice squad moves that add up during the season. So restructuring Brees’ deal gives them some wiggle room -- though ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder reported that the Saints are not expected to make a significant player acquisition with that space.

The Saints converted $5.2 million of Brees' current base salary into a signing bonus, so the cap cost would be spread over two years. They did the same thing with center Max Unger’s deal last month. And any cap space they don’t use this year can be carried over into next year, so there is really no harm in making such a move with any player.

However, Brees’ deal stands out because he is now set to count a whopping $30 million against the Saints’ cap in 2016 – the highest figure in the NFL and the highest by any one player dating back to at least 2000, according to ESPN Stats and Information. That’s one-fifth of the projected team cap of about $150 million.

That will only increase the speculation that the Saints might decide to either extend Brees’ contract beyond 2016 or consider trading or releasing him since he is 36 years old, the team has been heading south for two years, and they are already projected to be over the cap next year.

All of those options are viable. However, none of them changed significantly because of Brees’ most recent contract tweak.

A source confirmed to Werder that Brees' 2016 cap figure was inconsequential because it was already going to be among the highest in the NFL and it was already likely to encourage the Saints to renegotiate in the offseason.

Brees’ scheduled salary and bonuses of $20 million next year remain unchanged. The Saints will have to decide whether he’s worth that much money, but they already were facing the exact same decision.

The only difference now is that Brees will have $10 million in salary-cap charges next year instead of $7.4 million in salary-cap charges. But that money can’t be erased from the books whether the Saints keep Brees or release him.

If the Saints trade or release Brees next year, they now would be charged $10 million in “dead money” instead of $7.4 million.

I wrote last week that I think the Saints would be foolish to let Brees go. I think they should extend his contract, both because it would provide some short-term salary-cap relief and because I believe he’ll be their best option for a few more years.

The only way they should consider replacing Brees early is if they have a concrete plan in place to replace him – which I don’t think they have right now while rookie Garrett Grayson remains an unknown commodity.

It is a debate the Saints will have to discuss internally. But it’s not one that changed significantly with this latest contract tweak.

You are a killer of dreams.  I hope Darrin Walls says "I hate CrazyCarl" during his JetNation radio interview this week.

Edited by Jetsfan80
  • Upvote 1

Can the Saints justify paying him $30 million when their is such dire straits cap wise?

Nope, they can't.  I would think the cap savings from trading him would far outweigh the dead money.   Right now they're projected to be about $4M over the cap next season based on the contracts they currently have on the books.

What I heard is 30 million to keep him next season, only one GM who I know stupid enough to overpay a player like that is in Miami so I would imagine the only way he gets traded is if he becomes a Dolphin. I honestly think he is going to get cut and probably make 20m per year from a free agency offer.

Drew Brees in the meadowlands in nov/dec.  brilliant idea.  

Mac and bowles are too smart to even contemplate this.  They will take a qb in the 1st or 2nd round and let him battle it out w/ petty.  

The goal is to have a stud qb in place whenBrady/belly retire in 2020.  Until then, the division is there barring an unforseen injury to brady.

No thanks do not want other teams old worn QBs

Like how the Cardinals had the Rams old worn out QB in Kurt Warner who's was a Santonio Holmes catch away from winning his 2nd Super Bowl MVP.

Drew Brees has a rotator cuff issue damaged goods no thanks 

lol... joewilly12 only wants the Jets to get better, by not getting rid of any of the sh*tty players they already have... adding guys that are talked about as one of the best at their position doesn't fit that logic, especially since he hurt his shoulder and is not out for the season

I don't know why people bring up these ridiculous ideas like teams will eat trades on their QBs like it's Madden. The Saints are not trading away Brees unless the deal is financially viable and addresses the hole at QB created by trading away Brees.

Taking Brees would be Favre 2.0 but worse. High injury risk on a player who has little interest in playing here but worse because he's not a cold weather QB. Makes zero sense for this team.

• Upvote 2

Yeah let's sign another super high priced QB for one year with a bum shoulder in the hopes that we get it all in one year. Dumb. Brees is toast on a stick. No thank you. Jets fans do not want to build for the future it seems. Start Fitz!! Trade MO for Brees!! Fcuk that.

Build the team organically through the draft and select FA. No more fourth contract prayers. Idiotic idea.

• Upvote 1

Yeah let's sign another super high priced QB for one year with a bum shoulder in the hopes that we get it all in one year. Dumb. Brees is toast on a stick. No thank you. Jets fans do not want to build for the future it seems. Start Fitz!! Trade MO for Brees!! Fcuk that.

Build the team organically through the draft and select FA. No more fourth contract prayers. Idiotic idea.

Brees is also heavily reliant on dome football even before the more recent shoulder injury.  I think the Rams will be his preference.

I dunno about you guys but I would be really really really in favor of bringing him in "to go for it" similar to what the Cardinals did with Warner and are now doing with Palmer. Obviously his shoulder is a concern, but if he's healthy having Marshall and Decker would make us an attractive destination for him.

Thoughts?

You're a smart Jets fan.  I want to hear more from you TD.

A healthy Drew Brees, and this Jets team is a true super bowl contender.  Two big questions, is he healthy, and how long would it take to get up to speed.

The thing that would intrigue me the most is having a mentor for Bryce Petty, and allowing Petty a chance to sit and watch, a la Aaron Rodgers.  

I was also in the camp of inquiring on a trade this past off-season, but I would have concerns this late in the season.

A healthy Drew Brees, and this Jets team is a true super bowl contender.  Two big questions, is he healthy, and how long would it take to get up to speed.

The thing that would intrigue me the most is having a mentor for Bryce Petty, and allowing Petty a chance to sit and watch, a la Aaron Rodgers.  

I was also in the camp of inquiring on a trade this past off-season, but I would have concerns this late in the season.

Maybe Bryce is the next Aaron Rogers?  Double check.

I think DBrick is a candidate to get cut to make cap room. I think we go heavy o-line in the draft.

Why?  They can restructure him.  He never gets injured, he never gets his name in the paper for doing anything stupid and he's a decent player (altho isn't what he once was).  Guys like Brick you keep while you draft/groom their replacement.  

What I heard is 30 million to keep him next season, only one GM who I know stupid enough to overpay a player like that is in Miami so I would imagine the only way he gets traded is if he becomes a Dolphin. I honestly think he is going to get cut and probably make 20m per year from a free agency offer.

miami still believes in tannehil