Jets concerns growing over Ryan Fitzpatrick's inability to throw deep pass

JetBlue

I guess us fans aren't the only ones a little concerned about Fitz inability to connect on the deep ball.  Now with Smith back, the pressure will be on to "take the top off the defense". 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-concern-growing-fitzpatrick-inability-deep-article-1.2379399

Ryan Fitzpatrick spent his training camp shrugging off criticism over his arm strength and lack of ability to throw deep. He was unfazed about the frequent knocks against him and said he had heard it all before.

But three weeks into this Jets season —which has started relatively well for Gang Green — concern has been mounting about the veteran quarterback’s limitations in throwing the ball downfield.

In last week’s loss to the Eagles, Fitzpatrick went 0-for-8 with an interception in passes that traveled 20 or more yards in the air, according to ProFootballFocus.com. For the season, he has completed just three of 20 attempts on passes of at least 20 yards in the air.

MEHTA: JETS STILL BELONG IN PLAYOFF CONVERSATION

By comparison, there are plenty of other questionable quarterbacks with higher completion percentages on passes of 20 yards and beyond such as: Tyrod Taylor (40%), Ryan Tannehill (39%) Jameis Winston (46%) and Blake Bortles (33%), all according to ProFootballFocus.com.

Former Ravens coach Brian Billick, now an analyst for NFL Network, said demonstrating an ability to throw deep is important for the Jets.

“You have to be able to take the top off the defense,” Billick said in a phone interview. “It’s not enough (just to throw it deep). At some point you have to connect deep.”

Arm strength, however, is not necessarily the issue, the former coach thought.

“Obviously, when you look at Ryan Fitzpatrick’s total work, he’s never really been with an explosive team,” he said. “Deep balls are not a function of arm strength, it’s a matter of touch and timing. So it’s kind of hard to put a finger on why they haven’t been more explosive.”

Of course, the numbers could be worse: Sam Bradford has yet to complete a pass traveling at least 20 yards in the air this season — though he’s only attempted seven, per ProFootballFocus.com. That might not be much of a surprise to Jets fans, because while the Eagles won on Sunday, Bradford did not look good.

The problem for the Jets against Philadelphia was that, once they fell behind, they needed to rely too much on Fitzpatrick.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

He ended up attempting 58 passes, which, even by the quarterback’s own admission, was too many.

“For Ryan Fitzpatrick, in my opinion you want to keep it to a 30-35 throw game,” Billick said. “You get up (higher) you’re going to get all of Ryan Fitzpatrick, and that means the good and bad.”

Often when fans imagine a successful Jets season, they picture something in the vein of the 2000 Ravens team that Billick coached. With Trent Dilfer as their quarterback, that team won the Super Bowl.

“Anytime a team plays good defense and is marginal at quarterback, that comparison is made,” Billick said. “Which is probably not fair because we’re not talking about good defense, we’re talking about all-time great defense.”

He also pointed out that the league didn’t have quite as many star quarterbacks at that time, and that he didn’t have to go through teams that had QBs the caliber of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read article. I see Brian Billick expressing thoughts on Fitzpatrick's arm strength / downfield accuracy. I see nothing that proves the Jets are concerned. 

Seems like a necessary new thread though. 

I have a question... why are you and a handful of people, after 1 loss, behaving as if Fitzpatrick's limitations as a QB are a new discovery that only a select few are privy to? Myself, and many other posters here, have known all along what he is... he's the best, worst option that have have. He can help this team win 9-10 games. This means he's going to struggle in some games that we win, and he's going to struggle in some games that we lose.

It took the absence of Decker, Ivory, Owusu, and Colon combined with struggles on both defense and special teams for his struggles to actually cost us a win, and alongside the defense he was almost able to bring us back into the game. I don't the rampant "switch to Geno" crowd must've forgotten that Geno was losing game after game in spite of anything good the rest of the team did around him. 

For me, it comes down to one simple idea... would you rather win ugly or lose ugly. Fitz gives us a chance at the former, we already know Geno is a sentence to the latter. 

I read article. I see Brian Billick expressing thoughts on Fitzpatrick's arm strength / downfield accuracy. I see nothing that proves the Jets are concerned. 

I have a question... why are you and a handful of people, after 1 loss, behaving as if Fitzpatrick's limitations as a QB are a new discovery that only a select few are privy to? Myself, and many other posters here, have known all along what he is... he's the best, worst option that have have. He can help this team win 9-10 games. This means he's going to struggle in some games that we win, and he's going to struggle in some games that we lose.

It took the absence of Decker, Ivory, Owusu, and Colon combined with struggles on both defense and special teams for his struggles to actually cost us a win, and alongside the defense he was almost able to bring us back into the game. I don't the rampant "switch to Geno" crowd must've forgotten that Geno was losing game after game in spite of anything good the rest of the team did around him. 

For me, it comes down to one simple idea... would you rather win ugly or lose ugly. Fitz gives us a chance at the former, we already know Geno is a sentence to the latter. 

If I was a mod I would close this right here!  But I'm not so lets see the responses.

I agree with you.  Fitz is a journeyman QB that can help manage a game with a good defense and running game.  If he has to throw all day then that's not good.  His into's may have been for lack of arm but I would rather see that then a pick thrown into a place where it should never have been thrown to.  It would be great to see Geno throw the deep lob to Devin Smith but is he going to make the reads at the line for the underneath throws?  

While you certainly are correct about Geno's history, I don't agree we know its going to be ugly with him now until we see him perform in a new system that is more closely aligned to the system he excelled at while in college.

While you certainly are correct about Geno's history, I don't agree we know its going to be ugly with him now until we see him perform in a new system that is more closely aligned to the system he excelled at while in college.

Not to mention with his new BFF Marshall, a healthy Smith, Decker etc.  I certainly don't agree in sitting Fitz for Geno unless he starts losing games and continues to struggle to get the ball down the field; something he has done in all three games btw. 

If I was a mod I would close this right here!  But I'm not so lets see the responses.

I agree with you.  Fitz is a journeyman QB that can help manage a game with a good defense and running game.  If he has to throw all day then that's not good.  His into's may have been for lack of arm but I would rather see that then a pick thrown into a place where it should never have been thrown to.  It would be great to see Geno throw the deep lob to Devin Smith but is he going to make the reads at the line for the underneath throws?  

I guess we won't know.... 

Now we're using manish garbage to take shots at fitz.

A+ performance.

Dude no one is taking shots at Fitz.  Do you not see it as a problem with him missing on deep passes on the first three games?  Marshall bailed him out of the first one but there is a pattern developing here. I hope it is just "rust" and he will work himself out of it but if not, our offense is going to become very stagnant.  Especially if we fall behind early in games.  This has NOTHING to do with Geno Smith, okay?  If the staff feels Petty is ready I would be fine with that but odds are that is not going to happen.  I just want to see the Jets win; I am rooting FOR Fitz not AGAINST him.  

The problem with your argument is there is zero evidence, or stats after 11 years that says Fitz can win 9, or 10 games, or even 8 gamrs for that matter.

If Geno threw 5 INTS in the first 3 games this place would be twice as much in an uproar then it is now over Fitz.

And I think Geno is hot garbage, but know Fitz is hotter garbage, and has 11 years of evidence to Geno having just under 2 seasons as a starter 1 where he shouldn't have taken 1 snap never mind starting 16 games, and some how going 8-8 with a horrific roster 2 more wins in any 1 season then Fitz ever has in 11 years.

The problem with your argument is there is zero evidence, or stats after 11 years that says Fitz can win 9, or 10 games, or even 8 gamrs for that matter.

If Geno threw 5 INTS in the first 3 games this place would be twice as much in an uproar then it is now over Fitz.

And I think Geno is hot garbage, but know Fitz is hotter garbage, and has 11 years of evidence to Geno having just under 2 seasons as a starter 1 where he shouldn't have taken 1 snap never mind starting 16 games, and some how going 8-8 with a horrific roster 2 more wins in any 1 season then Fitz ever has in 11 years.

The evidence, to me, IS in that he's thrown 5 interceptions in 3 games, and we've won 2 of them.

You also have to look past the stat sheet dude. Not all of those INTs were his fault, and as I said somewhere else, you could argue that none of them were so detrimental that they cost us a win.

Geno's turnovers cost us wins. Regularly. For 2 years.

The defense and running game had us in position to win football games on several occasions and Geno handed the win away. It was the #1 cause of late game losses, with Rex's defense collapsing in the end of the game being the other primary cause.

He's a journeyman QB, you have to expect his going to lay an egg here and there. What matters to me is that he's not handing games away. He's going to make mistakes, but they are absorbable so far. If we get out to a lead and he starts handing wins away... then it changes the conversation. As of now, it's one bad game. Fans need to get over it. 

How come nobody is questioning why were were punting the ball to Sproles? 

The evidence, to me, IS in that he's thrown 5 interceptions in 3 games, and we've won 2 of them.

You also have to look past the stat sheet dude. Not all of those INTs were his fault, and as I said somewhere else, you could argue that none of them were so detrimental that they cost us a win.

Geno's turnovers cost us wins. Regularly. For 2 years.

The defense and running game had us in position to win football games on several occasions and Geno handed the win away. It was the #1 cause of late game losses, with Rex's defense collapsing in the end of the game being the other primary cause.

He's a journeyman QB, you have to expect his going to lay an egg here and there. What matters to me is that he's not handing games away. He's going to make mistakes, but they are absorbable so far. If we get out to a lead and he starts handing wins away... then it changes the conversation. As of now, it's one bad game. Fans need to get over it. 

How come nobody is questioning why were were punting the ball to Sproles? 

The Sproles punt return was a great punt, it was kicked to about 2 yards from the sideline, and booted almost 60 yards, the better question is why was the punt coverage so poor, the punter did his job on that play.

Just leave Fritz in for another 4 or 5 games, the mood will change quickly on his ability. The formula and blueprint is now out there to stop the Jets offense.

Stack the box and stop the run game.

Sellout underneath

Play man deep and dare Fitz to beat you.

Keep the Jets defense on the field as long as possible so they are dead tired by middle of the third quarter. Continue to run it down there throats with mediocre RB's.

Archived