Moving out the Northeast?

BroadwayJoe12

Who here has successfully moved out of the northeast and found a place they prefer? I could see myself digging Chicago, parts of Cali and maybe bend Oregon or Seattle, but i don't know where else I could tolerate for more than a short stay. I have to move for  surgical residency, which is at least five years long and I've been down in San antonio for five days now and I was over it after 48 hours. The guys want to take me to a turtle race. Like actual ******* turtles. (I still plan on witnessing this) I'm not sure being a NY guy born and raised and Boston for undergrad that I could handle the pace or culture of Texas or some of these southern states. Maybe in retirement. Just curious if anyone has moved from the northeast in their 20s and 30s and preferred it. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the folks I know usually head to NC.  SC is too, well, um shall we say, um different, lol

I know 5 families that have done it, the 4 in NC love it, the 1 in SC yeah not so much.  I know 1 family that made out so well financially, they took 6 months off to "unpack"

San Antonio is awesome. You're crazy. 

There  are quite a few of us in NC, I like it here. Wouldn't dream of heading back to NY. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the food. 

My property tax last year was under $1000. That's less than one month for my sister on LI. 

the folks I know usually head to NC.  SC is too, well, um shall we say, um different, lol

I know 5 families that have done it, the 4 in NC love it, the 1 in SC yeah not so much.  I know 1 family that made out so well financially, they took 6 months off to "unpack"

I'm off to Charleston SC next for a month, just not sure if Texas or SC are more than a vacation spot for me. The pace, culture...hell, everything is just different than the northeast. Retirement is different, but living through your working years I'm not sure where outside the NE I could live. Chicago is definitely somewhere I could see myself though. 

There  are quite a few of us in NC, I like it here. Wouldn't dream of heading back to NY. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the food. 

My property tax last year was under $1000. That's less than one month for my sister on LI. 

Maybe missing the good areas, I've only seen the UTHSC hospital area and the river walk.  To me it's like living in little Mexico, plus there's no mountains, lakes or oceans... Although I suppose Corpus Christi and south padre are a couple hours away. I dunno, maybe I'm giving it a bad shake. 

I think you need to spell out what you're looking for to get reasonable suggestions. Do you want a big city? Are seasons important? Access to water or beaches? Mountains? Is cost of living a major concern? 

Pretty sure I'd be looking in residencies in Hawaii. 

I left the Northeast about 6 years ago and have been in Chicago for the past 4. Wife and I love it here and would 100% live here for the rest of our lives if it were not for two things:

1. It's not hype at all. The winters are never-ending, unbearable, and legit depressing. They really take a toll on your well-being. You have no idea what cold is until you have lived here in January and February. This upcoming winter is going to be our last, I don't have anymore in me after that. It gets cold here in November and lasts until almost June. It snowed in May this past year. May!

2. Chicago is a huge, diverse, and amazing city with an endless amount of places to explore, but it is a city within itself. It is literally within the middle of nowhere, unlike for example New York where you have places to go outside of the city. There is nothing around this city save for a quick road trip to Milwaukee or the shores of Lake Michigan. That's it. If you're an outdoors person who likes scenery, good hiking, and climbing...etc, the Chicago area can be a very frustrating place to live in. The hiking in the areas which require no more than a day's drive are flat, monotonous, and way too easy. If you're adventurous, you will almost always have to jump on a plane to go do anything.

If these two things are not a big deal for you, Chicago is the place to be. Fantastic food, great neighborhoods for people of all ages, and a very reasonable cost of living. In the summer I am convinced that it is the best city on the planet. Compared to NY or San Fran you can live here for pretty much less than half of what it costs there. Most importantly the Midwest is one of the best beer regions in the world. The beers you have access to living in Chicago put the New York area to shame.

I left the Northeast about 6 years ago and have been in Chicago for the past 4. Wife and I love it here and would 100% live here for the rest of our lives if it were not for two things:

1. It's not hype at all. The winters are never-ending, unbearable, and legit depressing. They really take a toll on your well-being. You have no idea what cold is until you have lived here in January and February. This upcoming winter is going to be our last, I don't have anymore in me after that. It gets cold here in November and lasts until almost June. It snowed in May this past year. May!

2. Chicago is a huge, diverse, and amazing city with an endless amount of places to explore, but it is a city within itself. It is literally within the middle of nowhere, unlike for example New York where you have places to go outside of the city. There is nothing around this city save for a quick road trip to Milwaukee or the shores of Lake Michigan. That's it. If you're an outdoors person who likes scenery, good hiking, and climbing...etc, the Chicago area can be a very frustrating place to live in. The hiking in the areas which require no more than a day's drive are flat, monotonous, and way too easy. If you're adventurous, you will almost always have to jump on a plane to go do anything.

If these two things are not a big deal for you, Chicago is the place to be. Fantastic food, great neighborhoods for people of all ages, and a very reasonable cost of living. Compared to NY or San Fran you can live here for pretty much less than half of what it costs there. Most importantly the Midwest is one of the best beer regions in the world. The beers you have access to living in Chicago put the New York area to shame.

+1

we've discussed Chicago before, I think I could do it for five years, but who knows permanently. Where are you and Mrs. RJF thinking of going next, if the winters do get to you? Cali would be great if the taxes didn't eat a third of your income.  

I think you need to spell out what you're looking for to get reasonable suggestions. Do you want a big city? Are seasons important? Access to water or beaches? Mountains? Is cost of living a major concern? 

Pretty sure I'd be looking in residencies in Hawaii. 

I think I was more curious just to hear stories from people who have moved. I loved undergrad in Boston, really enjoyed all the city had to offer while not being as large as Manhattan, was a quick drive to the cape and a couple hours from upstate NY and the Adirondacks.  I think I'm up for any city that has a nice nightlife, has access to either mountains, ocean or a nice lake. 

+1

we've discussed Chicago before, I think I could do it for five years, but who knows permanently. Where are you and Mrs. RJF thinking of going next, if the winters do get to you? Cali would be great if the taxes didn't eat a third of your income.  

So far the depth chart is:

1. Bay Area

2. SoCal

3. Portland or Seattle

4. Back to NY

For the most part, we want to head west. I really couldn't give less of a sh*t about taxes. Services cost money and California is awesome. If I see a few grand less but get to love the sh*t out of where I live and raise my kids in one of the most beautiful regions on the planet, so be it.

So far the depth chart is:

1. Bay Area

2. SoCal

3. Portland or Seattle

4. Back to NY

For the most part, we want to head west. I really couldn't give less of a sh*t about taxes. Services cost money and California is awesome. If I see a few grand less but get to love the sh*t out of where I live and raise my kids in one of the most beautiful regions on the planet, so be it.

Sound about right. San Diego is probably my top choice, it'd be a no brainier if my mother and family weren't all in NY still, but I love pretty much all of coastal Cali, minus LA. 

Sound about right. San Diego is probably my top choice, it'd be a no brainier if my mother and family weren't all in NY still, but I love pretty much all of coastal Cali, minus LA. 

San Diego is actually second to LA for us. Problem with SD is that their public transportation systems are severely lacking, while LA's transit is getting a huge bump over the next few years with the new city rail lines which will be done next year and the high speed line that's connecting LA to Vegas (which XpressWest just signed off on last week with China).

We love the weather and vibe of SD, but have no desire to be a 2-car family. Walkability and public transportation are two of the biggest factors for us.

Who here has successfully moved out of the northeast and found a place they prefer? I could see myself digging Chicago, parts of Cali and maybe bend Oregon or Seattle, but i don't know where else I could tolerate for more than a short stay. I have to move for  surgical residency, which is at least five years long and I've been down in San antonio for five days now and I was over it after 48 hours. The guys want to take me to a turtle race. Like actual ******* turtles. (I still plan on witnessing this) I'm not sure being a NY guy born and raised and Boston for undergrad that I could handle the pace or culture of Texas or some of these southern states. Maybe in retirement. Just curious if anyone has moved from the northeast in their 20s and 30s and preferred it. 

I really like Texas, the DFW area.  So much cheaper, no state income tax, all major sports teams, and you can buy a 200sq foot house in a decent town for 170.  If you want to go anywhere, 3 hours direct from DFW and you are there.  

It's hot, but so what, you get a pool and swim from Mid May till mid to late September.  Plus, once you go a few winters without shoveling snow, you never want to again.

Moved out of NY for work a few years ago and lived in different parts of the country here's my take:

San Antonio - boring, sucks, everything is a highway and it's too hot.

Cali - I recommend the Bay Area. So Cal sucks however.

Seattle/Portland area - highly recommend, best scenery in the country lots of outdoor activities and u still get big city nightlife plus your only a couple hour drive from Vancouver which is awesome. If your a dr resident there are a ton of hospitals in Seattle First Hill Area

Chicago - great in summer but sucks in the winter

Atlanta - Ok but too crowded and traffic is horrible

I've lived in southeastern NC for over 10 years and don't have plans to leave.  Yes, the pace is slower, but there's so many NY/NJ people down here now it's not quite as noticeable.  I live 10 minutes from the beach and only about 4 hours from the mountains in Western NC.  And I can also hit 17 South and reach Myrtle Beach (1 hour), Charleston (3+ hours), or Savannah (4-5 hours) fairly easily.  It's perfect.

I know  a couple of people that moved outside of Seattle and love it there- but not a lie got to get used to rainy days

Also several people I know moved with their families to NC and like it there.

I am looking for the future for a warmer climate to eventually move myself in retirement

I'm off to Charleston SC next for a month, just not sure if Texas or SC are more than a vacation spot for me. The pace, culture...hell, everything is just different than the northeast. Retirement is different, but living through your working years I'm not sure where outside the NE I could live. Chicago is definitely somewhere I could see myself though. 

Florida, brah.  ;-)

Dont move to Seattle.  That place is absolutely miserable.  You'll like at at first and then realize your surrounded by the weirdest mixture of hippies and hipsters that are ridiculously superficial and think they are better than the rest of the country.  The rain is no joke.  It's all year long, except for the summers, which are amazing.  That said, its gorgeous and it is a cool city...but that stuff wears off really fast.  And you are so far from anything that matters in this world its ridiculous.  Portland wasnt such a stuck up, pretentious city as Seattle...but if suffers the safe climate fate.  Basically, **** the PNW.  I was there a year and 6 months in was dying to get out. 

I lived in So Cal for a little while and being a surfer, it was awesome...but that's the only thing I really liked about the area.  Otherwise, it's crowded and congested (which clear;y you're good with if you prefer the NE), expensive and also very pretentious.  West Coasters are different.  This is a real thing and if you have a NE mentality (which I do even though I was raised in the South) it just doesnt bode well out there.  But if you're going to be a surgeon, you might fit in with the crowd.  With that type of money, the Bay Area is cool as sh*t but not for the every day middle class person.  Again, super congested and Cali sucks...but that area is the most doable IMO.

I'm in Florida for the rest of my life until I build a house somewhere South of the Border (currently looking to buy property in Nicaragua).  But that's because I like the slow paced, laid back life style with year round summers.  Plus, I need the ocean in my life.  Florida gets a bad wrap from the rest of the country but thats just because they dont know and when you dont know, then Florida does indeed suck. 

I think I could do North Carolina but I'll never return to the NE.  Even when I visit my family in NY, I sit there and think to myself....how does anyone do this for their entire life? haha.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

What's the issue with SC?  Redneck mentality?

I've been thinking about a move to NC for years.  Any suggestions for someone like me who wants a quiet pace, but not the sticks?  Areas where housing is affordable?

See my post above.  I'd appreciate your suggestions as well, JF80.

EDIT:  Sorry.  My questions wound up in your posts.  Think the multi-quote function may still have some bugs.

Florida, brah.  ;-)

Dont move to Seattle.  That place is absolutely miserable.  You'll like at at first and then realize your surrounded by the weirdest mixture of hippies and hipsters that are ridiculously superficial and think they are better than the rest of the country.  The rain is no joke.  It's all year long, except for the summers, which are amazing.  That said, its gorgeous and it is a cool city...but that stuff wears off really fast.  And you are so far from anything that matters in this world its ridiculous.  Portland wasnt such a stuck up, pretentious city as Seattle...but if suffers the safe climate fate.  Basically, **** the PNW.  I was there a year and 6 months in was dying to get out. 

Plus isn't the new $15 minimum wage destroying businesses (particularly restaurants) out there?

Plus isn't the new $15 minimum wage destroying businesses (particularly restaurants) out there?

Wouldnt surprise me.  That place was awful.  But I've been back in Florida for 7 years, so I really dont know.

Why would anyone want to live somewhere that you literally take "sun breaks"...this is a serious thing.  You'd be sitting in the office, havent seen the sun in 48 hours and then all of a sudden it peaks through a cloud our 2 and everyone runs outside until in goes away again.  Bizarre, dude.  Bizarre.  I'd sit there thinking, do they know that this isnt normal and they can move?

Wouldnt surprise me.  That place was awful.  But I've been back in Florida for 7 years, so I really dont know.

Why would anyone want to live somewhere that you literally take "sun breaks"...this is a serious thing.  You'd be sitting in the office, havent seen the sun in 48 hours and then all of a sudden it peaks through a cloud our 2 and everyone runs outside until in goes away again.  Bizarre, dude.  Bizarre.  I'd sit there thinking, do they know that this isnt normal and they can move?

Wow, yeah, can't imagine living like that.  That's almost as bad as the 60+ days of dark and 80+ days of light Alaska experiences.  Couldn't do it.

I lived in Seattle for 6 months. I saw the sun twice. I've never been back. 

Any place is what you make of it.  If you go in with a negative attitude, you will have a negative attitude.

I left the Northeast a long time ago.  I honestly would not want to go back except for a visit.  I live in the south and do not miss winter, houses literally sitting on top of each other, cost of houses and the Eastern time Zone. 

Any place is what you make of it.  If you go in with a negative attitude, you will have a negative attitude.

I left the Northeast a long time ago.  I honestly would not want to go back except for a visit.  I live in the south and do not miss winter, houses literally sitting on top of each other, cost of houses and the Eastern time Zone. 

This 100%.  The newness of a place wears off rather quickly.  It's all about what fits your needs and what you make of it. 

Too true

You make some good friends, anywhere is fun.  You are lonely, and focused on the negative, anywhere sucks.

I was just out there. The minimum wage is getting a ramp up I believe. They didn't just ratchet it up to 15 bucks an hour. 

Anyway, I ate in restaurants all weekend and didn't have any issues nor did I hear any of the locals say a peep about it.

To be fair, it's all about where in Florida. NE Florida is good for me. We get a nice break from the heat from Oct. to May and we still never really have a winter. 

We also lack the overwhelming numbers of douchebags like Tampa and Miami. You couldn't get me to move to Tampa if you paid me. That place's motto should be "Everything that everyone thinks is wrong with Florida."

Too true

You make some good friends, anywhere is fun.  You are lonely, and focused on the negative, anywhere sucks.

So what you're saying is that Broadway is screwed no matter where he goes.

I thought he was saying "think like a New Yorker"  I am a miserable **** and I live in DC.  I couldn't imagine going on further south or west.  I might actually love it if there were a beach, but Ocean City <shudder> and Rehoboth are just as far as the Jersey Shore. 

from upstate ny, moved to charleston after college. absoulutely loved it.  got a sweet job offer this past year and moved to asheville nc. pretty awesome. tons of breweries, mountians and lakes.  it reminds me of being in the adirondaks.

Dr.s office tried to get me to move there, eventually take over the office, Asheville is really pretty.

I love people hating on Seattle for the rain.  I lived there 2 years it didn't rain any more frequently than it does in NY and it doesn't snow except for maybe 1-2 light sprinkles in December.  The best weather in Continental US is in that area between Seattle and San Francisco.

from upstate ny, moved to charleston after college. absoulutely loved it.  got a sweet job offer this past year and moved to asheville nc. pretty awesome. tons of breweries, mountians and lakes.  it reminds me of being in the adirondaks.

charleston is booming.  Boeing just moved a ton of jobs into that area because the Unions screwed everything up in Seattle

Archived