Report: Decker will play versus Miami

Jetman55

New York Jets wide receiver Eric Decker is expected to play this Sunday.

Sources confirmed with 247Sports' NFL Insider Luke Rodgers that the veteran wideout will play against the Miami Dolphins in London.

Decker, limited during this week's practice, is officially questionable with a knee injury suffered two Mondays ago in New York's game against the Colts. He sat out last weekend's game against the Eagles with a PCL sprain that is not believed to be serious.

More to come later.

That will help but if the oline blocks the way they did vs. the Eagles, it wont matter. 

ih8 this game

5 guys can't block 9...I dont care how good those 5 are.  if the pass doesnt keep the defense honest, we're sunk.  It goes both way and the only way to get the 8th and 9th man out of the box is hit some damn plays.

Fitz is smart enough to know he needs a solid game. 

D needs to come out ready to play. This O can't afford a 10 point or greater deficit.

Decker and Ivory back is huge.

Jets baby!

Yup, if he really is ready to roll Sunday morning, that's huge for Fitz.  Another great short to medium range big target which complements his game.  Much easier for a D to focus on Marshall and just bet against Fitz beating 'em deep.  With Decker and Marshall, should be plenty of < 20yd options for Fitzy.  Great for our chances Sunday.

Of course he is playing.  He would never have gotten on the plane if he was truly questionable.  

Many of the players who are out on Sunday made the trip. This statement you made is patently false and this article means nothing until Sunday and the active roster is out. 

Please please correct me if I am wrong but didn't he have a PCL injury? If that's the case it's a minimum 3 weeks according to Dr Chao who was on Sirius NFL radio who talked specifically about Decker. If he plays he might just act as a decoy, but I don't think he will play. We need the win vs Miami but I don't want to risk further injury. 

Many of the players who are out on Sunday made the trip. This statement you made is patently false and this article means nothing until Sunday and the active roster is out. 

And we don't even know once the active roster is out - e.g. Ivory last week.

Please please correct me if I am wrong but didn't he have a PCL injury? If that's the case it's a minimum 3 weeks according to Dr Chao who was on Sirius NFL radio who talked specifically about Decker. If he plays he might just act as a decoy, but I don't think he will play. We need the win vs Miami but I don't want to risk further injury. 

This

I'd rather hold him out this week, and have him 100% healthy after the bye week so Geno has all his weapons healthy at his disposal.  Also hold Ivory out to.

LOL @ the Geno fan boys rooting for the Jets to lose this week.

No need for Jets to lose for a switch to Geno.  Jets could easily win in spite of Fitz.  If Fitz has a repeat performance (or anything close), even if Jets win I'd expect Geno to start after the bye.

5 guys can't block 9...I dont care how good those 5 are.  if the pass doesnt keep the defense honest, we're sunk.  It goes both way and the only way to get the 8th and 9th man out of the box is hit some damn plays.

this is a bad excuse for poor OL play.   I'm not even sure the jets have a healthy TE on the roster at this point.   If you spread the field it's impossible to have 8 or 9 in the box.   The problem is the OL just isn't opening holes to run through.   I have no idea why, but the jets can't run and it's killing them.  

this is a bad excuse for poor OL play.   I'm not even sure the jets have a healthy TE on the roster at this point.   If you spread the field it's impossible to have 8 or 9 in the box.   The problem is the OL just isn't opening holes to run through.   I have no idea why, but the jets can't run and it's killing them.  

Spreading the field only helps if the QB throws to the open receivers.  Supposedly defenses are beginning to notice this fact.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/ryan-fitzpatricks-a-bad-start-away-from-a-geno-controversy/

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s a bad start away from a Geno controversy

The Jets have planned in meticulous detail just about every minute leading up to Sunday’s game against the Dolphins at Wembley Stadium in London.

Meetings, feedings, practices and even leisure time spent on sightseeing are scheduled for specific times, though coach Todd Bowles would prefer his players save the tourist stuff for a later date.

“They’ve got enough money,” Bowles said on Thursday before the Jets’ evening flight to London. “They can go back in the offseason.”

What the Jets can’t calculate is whether they’ll be returning to the US with a win or a budding quarterback controversy. Ryan Fitzpatrick will make his fourth start as the Jets quarterback against the 1-2 Dolphins. Geno Smith, the incumbent starter who missed most of training camp with a broken jaw after being punched by a teammate, figures to be the backup quarterback for the second straight week.

The Jets are Fitzpatrick’s team after season-opening wins over the Browns (31-10) and Colts (20-7). But a 24-17 loss to the Eagles Sunday at MetLife Stadium exposed a blueprint that could haunt the Jets. With Eric Decker out with an injury and the running game struggling without injured Chris Ivory, the Eagles loaded up to stop the Jets’ running attack and forced Fitzpatrick to beat them through the air. He couldn’t do it. Fitzpatrick threw 58 passes, completed 35 for 283 yards and two scores. But he also threw three interceptions.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said Thursday an ineffective running game (16 carries, 47 yards) hurt the entire offensive production against the Eagles.

“They were committing extra guys off the edge that created problems,” Gailey said, assuring, “We’ve altered some things to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Expect the Dolphins and just about every other Jets opponent to copy what the Eagles did and focus on stopping the run, forcing Fitzpatrick to beat them through the air. Ivory is expected to play Sunday, which should help, but the Jets likely could be without Decker for the second straight week. Without Decker and without a running game, Fitzpatrick will be in trouble again.

“It’s going to be a huge mental week for us, just making sure we know exactly what we’re doing on offense and what we’re trying to get accomplished,” Fitzpatrick said this week.

What the Jets must do is soften a Dolphins defense determined to jump-start a pass rush that has produced one sack. They can do it with a good running game complemented by a passing game with a deep threat. The long ball has to be more of a weapon, especially if rookie speedster Devin Smith plays to expectations. Fitzpatrick has completed just five pass plays of 20 yards or more over three games and was 0-for-8 on passes of 20 yards or more against the Eagles.

Bottom line: Fitzpatrick has to prove he can throw it deep to keep defenses from loading up against the run.

“He’s got to put it out there, and guys have to get open, too,” Bowles said. “It’s not just Ryan. They’ve got to run better routes and pass protect.”

Bowles indicated Geno Smith likely will be the backup again Sunday and offered a lukewarm assessment of Smith’s progress in practice.
“I wouldn’t say he’s caught up on everything,” Bowles said. “But he has a good grasp of what we’re trying to do.”

Fitzpatrick still has the confidence of his teammates. The journeyman from Harvard has done a decent job overall. The Jets are the seventh-ranked offense in the AFC and 17th in the league, averaging 333 yards per game (154 rushing/179 passing). Ryan has completed 72 of 116 for 706 yards and six touchdowns and five interceptions. Not bad. Not great. But the Jets might be forced to re-evaluate their starting quarterback should things go badly in London.

I dont know if you want the real answer or if you just want to blame the oline.  But a big part of it last week was exactly what I already posted above that your first sentence says is a bad excuse.  They brought the safeties up and over committed to the run.

"
The Jets are Fitzpatrick’s team after season-opening wins over the Browns (31-10) and Colts (20-7). But a 24-17 loss to the Eagles Sunday at MetLife Stadium exposed a blueprint that could haunt the Jets. With Eric Decker out with an injury and the running game struggling without injured Chris Ivory, the Eagles loaded up to stop the Jets’ running attack and forced Fitzpatrick to beat them through the air. He couldn’t do it. Fitzpatrick threw 58 passes, completed 35 for 283 yards and two scores. But he also threw three interceptions.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said Thursday an ineffective running game (16 carries, 47 yards) hurt the entire offensive production against the Eagles.

“They were committing extra guys off the edge that created problems,” Gailey said, assuring, “We’ve altered some things to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Expect the Dolphins and just about every other Jets opponent to copy what the Eagles did and focus on stopping the run, forcing Fitzpatrick to beat them through the air. Ivory is expected to play Sunday, which should help."

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/ryan-fitzpatricks-a-bad-start-away-from-a-geno-controversy/

Spreading the field only helps if the QB throws to the open receivers.  Supposedly defenses are beginning to notice this fact.

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s a bad start away from a Geno controversy

The Jets have planned in meticulous detail just about every minute leading up to Sunday’s game against the Dolphins at Wembley Stadium in London.

Meetings, feedings, practices and even leisure time spent on sightseeing are scheduled for specific times, though coach Todd Bowles would prefer his players save the tourist stuff for a later date.

“They’ve got enough money,” Bowles said on Thursday before the Jets’ evening flight to London. “They can go back in the offseason.”

What the Jets can’t calculate is whether they’ll be returning to the US with a win or a budding quarterback controversy. Ryan Fitzpatrick will make his fourth start as the Jets quarterback against the 1-2 Dolphins. Geno Smith, the incumbent starter who missed most of training camp with a broken jaw after being punched by a teammate, figures to be the backup quarterback for the second straight week.

Expect the Dolphins and just about every other Jets opponent to copy what the Eagles did and focus on stopping the run, forcing Fitzpatrick to beat them through the air. Ivory is expected to play Sunday, which should help, but the Jets likely could be without Decker for the second straight week. Without Decker and without a running game, Fitzpatrick will be in trouble again.

“It’s going to be a huge mental week for us, just making sure we know exactly what we’re doing on offense and what we’re trying to get accomplished,” Fitzpatrick said this week.

What the Jets must do is soften a Dolphins defense determined to jump-start a pass rush that has produced one sack. They can do it with a good running game complemented by a passing game with a deep threat. The long ball has to be more of a weapon, especially if rookie speedster Devin Smith plays to expectations. Fitzpatrick has completed just five pass plays of 20 yards or more over three games and was 0-for-8 on passes of 20 yards or more against the Eagles.

Bottom line: Fitzpatrick has to prove he can throw it deep to keep defenses from loading up against the run.

“He’s got to put it out there, and guys have to get open, too,” Bowles said. “It’s not just Ryan. They’ve got to run better routes and pass protect.”

Bowles indicated Geno Smith likely will be the backup again Sunday and offered a lukewarm assessment of Smith’s progress in practice.
“I wouldn’t say he’s caught up on everything,” Bowles said. “But he has a good grasp of what we’re trying to do.”

Fitzpatrick still has the confidence of his teammates. The journeyman from Harvard has done a decent job overall. The Jets are the seventh-ranked offense in the AFC and 17th in the league, averaging 333 yards per game (154 rushing/179 passing). Ryan has completed 72 of 116 for 706 yards and six touchdowns and five interceptions. Not bad. Not great. But the Jets might be forced to re-evaluate their starting quarterback should things go badly in London.

Hahaha, I never even saw your post.  

Yes! I want this game badly, a loss would bum me out for two weeks.

I feel the same way.....not only will a loss ruin the rest of my Sunday of watching football for me, but we'll be waiting two weeks to bounce back.

3-1 (3-0 in the conference) going into the bye would be huge!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Archived