QB

Section 333

It's good for JN that everyone who thinks Geno should start also believes their point of view is so important it requires a whole new thread.

Whatever you chuckleheads need to do to keep busy while the Jets stack wins... so be it.

Right because id rather see loses.........

Obviously we are all happy with 3-1. Another obvious thing is that folks here want to discuss this. 

U don't like the thread keep on moving. Im sure u will find one to your liking. Either join the discussion or buzz off chucklehead!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keyshawn might say something about that and many would agree but  It absolutely stops at TOOOOOOON!!!!!!!

Keyshawn still sticks up for us and I am cool with that. But he wasn't consistent enough with us. As good as he was. Your right it starts and ends with Al. If only he hadn't gotten all those concussions. What a player!

The hypotheticals about what our record would be with Geno are nonsense.  The issue of who was named preseason starter is also irrelevant.

The team is currently 3-1, and bringing in Geno doesn't guarantee you any kind of upgrade.  We've all seen what he can do, the best and the worst of it.  As has been said, Geno's ceiling is higher than Fitz's, but his floor is far lower.  So, this conversation really comes down to how the team is doing.  The team is 3-1, and had a real shot to be 4-0.  Considering Geno isn't an obvious upgrade, you stick with what's working.

All of that said, I think Fitz has been pretty bad.  He's a less accurate Chad Pennington who's willing to throw into triple coverage regularly.  If the team was 1-3, and the QB play was the same, I'd probably say go to Geno.  But, the team isn't 1-3, it's 3-1, and as long as we're winning more than we're losing, and not winning 9-3, you gotta stick w/ what's generally working.  Really, that's all there is to it.

Well, the question is very simple. Is the defense good enough to carry this team, even with a crappy QB who can basically manage the game. Or do you want a dynamic QB like Geno, who can throw the ball downfield and make plays with his feet, yet routinely throws mind-bogglingly bad INTs? 

The sensible thing to do is keep Fitz, despite the fact that he will always be a mediocre QB that really won't ever lead a game winning 4Q drive. 

It's a team game.  We hammer Brady on D all game, we can absolutely hang with Brady even with Fitzpatrick.  And they don't have a Revis anymore to contend with Brandon Marshall.

I know its hard to be optimistic as a Jet fan, but we're playing too well as a team right now to be thinking we're not capable of taking down the Pats.

They will take away Marshall.  They always find a way to take away your best weapon.  We need Decker and Ivory to have solid games and we need to contain Gronk to beat them.

The goal is to make the playoffs. Not maximize the potential of our scrub ass QBs. You keep Fitz on the field until another option becomes available. Then you trade Geno in the offseason for a mid round pick and hopefully draft a punt returner, I would hope.....

They will take away Marshall.  They always find a way to take away your best weapon.  We need Decker and Ivory to have solid games and we need to contain Gronk to beat them.

None of that is insurmountable.  We're no longer among the worst teams at covering TE's, and now might be one of the best thanks to Bowles and our revamped secondary. 

Geno performed like a bad rookie QB for most of the 2 years under center.  It is a risky decision, not a simple matter of putting back in the incumbent starter.  And Geno was never named starter, he was announced to be getting first team reps before training camp.  Fitz is the starter, and will remain so until he gives the coaching staff a reason to replace him.

He absolutely was named the starter.  The offensive  coordinator went out of his way to say he expects Geno to start week 1.  Look, I want the change to happen, but even I understand the chances of it happening while we're 3-1 are slim to none. I do think Fitzpatrick's leash is pretty short though. 

Has Fitz been good thus far? No. Has he been awful? No.

Has Geno been awful? absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week and today were pretty f*cking awful.  Has Geno been awful with real talent and competent coaching? Nope. It's moot because Geno isn't replacing him yet.  At the same time, I'm not living in the fairytale land some here have been pretending that Fitz has been remotely good the past two (could even say three) weeks.  

The hypotheticals about what our record would be with Geno are nonsense.  The issue of who was named preseason starter is also irrelevant.

The team is currently 3-1, and bringing in Geno doesn't guarantee you any kind of upgrade.  We've all seen what he can do, the best and the worst of it.  As has been said, Geno's ceiling is higher than Fitz's, but his floor is far lower.  So, this conversation really comes down to how the team is doing.  The team is 3-1, and had a real shot to be 4-0.  Considering Geno isn't an obvious upgrade, you stick with what's working.

All of that said, I think Fitz has been pretty bad.  He's a less accurate Chad Pennington who's willing to throw into triple coverage regularly.  If the team was 1-3, and the QB play was the same, I'd probably say go to Geno.  But, the team isn't 1-3, it's 3-1, and as long as we're winning more than we're losing, and not winning 9-3, you gotta stick w/ what's generally working.  Really, that's all there is to it.

End of discussion.

Could not have said it better

Last week and today were pretty f*cking awful.  Has Geno been awful with real talent and competent coaching? Nope. It's moot because Geno isn't replacing him yet.  At the same time, I'm not living in the fairytale land some here have been pretending that Fitz has been remotely good the past two (could even say three) weeks.  

Fitz is not good, who thinks that? He's a jag, he was always a jag and always will be. Thing is "jag" is a lot better than what we've had for years.

At the same time, I'm not living in the fairytale land some here have been pretending that Fitz has been remotely good the past two (could even say three) weeks.  

Mogz - you should be at a bar with Rex Ryan right now. Rex could lament his team and you can cry over your impotent argument.  

And then maybe Mrs. Ryan saunters in and the three of you could take it off-site somewhere. 

Some of you need to come to terms with the fact that we just don't have a franchise qb on the roster. Fitz is limited, he can't make a throw over 15 yards with any regularity  but for the most part he plays smart situational football. The eagles game was terrible, but generally speaking He's not killing this team with pick sixes and red zone turnovers like geno and sanchez have done for the past 5+ years. He's not taking drive killing sacks like his predecessors. We're getting game manager average qb play when we've been used to league worst play. 

The reason for the criticism today wasn't so much because of his physical limitations. It's because he did not play smart. He chucked the ball up into coverage a number of times with the fingers-crossed plan of it not getting picked off. Also he flat-out missed 2 easy TDs (just off the top of my head) by not throwing it to uncovered receivers (one he threw to a covered Marshall and the other he ran 2 yards with it himself). He is not a smart QB. Could he be dumber (on the field)? Yes, he could be dumber.

He's also not didn't take any dive killing sacks today because the OL protected him so well they made it look like Miami wasn't even trying. It's not like Fitzpatrick kept eluding pressure all game long. Far from it.

He cost the Jets a wad of points today. The rest of the team is so good that it didn't matter that he doesn't see the field and has a weak and inaccurate arm and just chucks it up like Favre minus the arm strength or fast release. He is a bad, below average QB, not a smart, average QB.

I'm not unhappy with the game. Quite the contrary: the rest of this team, on balance, is money. Against bad/struggling teams, they are good enough to carry a bad QB like Fitzpatrick who leaves double-digit points on the board every game. 

Todd Bowles just watched an Arizona team last year take a journeyman qb to the toughest team in the NFC to play. And Geno isn't his guy. He didn't draft him. Fitz plays out the year (maybe he gives us a Testeverde like run) and next year we watch Petty maybe taking the next step or they draft a qb very early and that's Todds guy. 

He cost the Jets a wad of points today. The rest of the team is so good that it didn't matter that he doesn't see the field and has a weak and inaccurate arm and just chucks it up like Favre minus the arm strength or fast release. He is a bad, below average QB, not a smart, average QB.

I fear injury more than incompetence in our QB and if we're winning Fitz is our guy.

If we go on a losing streak and Bowles wants to replace him, gotta trust coach there. But there is a big drop off in the level of play in the guy who replaces him. And we'd find out soon enough.  

I fear injury more than incompetence in our QB and if we're winning Fitz is our guy.

If we go on a losing streak and Bowles wants to replace him, gotta trust coach there. But there is a big drop off in the level of play in the guy who replaces him. And we'd find out soon enough.  

I'm not saying he has to be switched out. Bowles has seen both and Bowles will make that decision. He surely will see every clip of every play that didn't go as planned, particularly with 2 weeks to go before our next game. If the players aren't grumbling about him missing easy plays every week, and particularly if the locker room as a whole would let out a collective groan if he were to make such a switch, then it's a no-brainer he should (and will) stick with Fitzpatrick. Geno's handicap is not just some boneheaded play (which I can forgive any young player during seasons when we had no real chance anyway); it's that he's a douchebag who does not exude leadership nor does he command respect of his peers.

So I agree that until such time as Fitzpatrick's incompetence has squarely cost multiple games, and Smith has given him some legitimate reason to think he will be a noticeable improvement, then it's folly to rock the boat. They're in a good spot at 3-1 and the last thing he needs is a giant chunk - or the majority - of the locker room hearing about such a decision now and giving a collective "WTF???" Unless (like I said above) he knows something about the locker room that we don't, and that leads to a change.

Seems unlikely that the locker room is generally a downbeat one sitting at 3-1. Even with Fitzpatrick's lousy play, in the head coach's position I'm sure I wouldn't rock the boat either.

Right because id rather see loses.........

Obviously we are all happy with 3-1. Another obvious thing is that folks here want to discuss this. 

U don't like the thread keep on moving. Im sure u will find one to your liking. Either join the discussion or buzz off chucklehead!

I've been participating in the topic in the 50 other threads about it.

i don't have a problem with it, I have a problem with self-important dimwits who start new threads with redundant opinions, rather than participating in the conversation already in progress.

I haven't been able to watch the last two jets games due to work and my schedule for the foreseeable future seems that way... Can anyone assist me with a link for replays and live games? It's so miserable listening to it in the radio :(

Mogz - you should be at a bar with Rex Ryan right now. Rex could lament his team and you can cry over your impotent argument.  

And then maybe Mrs. Ryan saunters in and the three of you could take it off-site somewhere. 

I f*cking hate Rex. 

You on tthe other hand should be chilling with Tinker Bell, Peter Pan, and Captain Hook if you think the QB play we've seen the last 3 weeks is getting us to the playoffs. 

We were 1-3 at this point last year and everyone was calling for a new qb now we're 3-1 with a new qb and everyone wants geno back. I dont understand let Fitz go if we're winning games then why change anything 

Pretty much this.

We were 1-3 at this point last year and everyone was calling for a new qb now we're 3-1 with a new qb and everyone wants geno back. I dont understand let Fitz go if we're winning games then why change anything 

Jesus H. Christ how many people are going to use this stupid argument like it makes any sense.  Last year when couldwe started 1-3, our top wide outs were Kerley, Salas, and whatever else we picked out of the trash. We paired that with a defense my grandmother could carve up.  

Fitz isn't getting benched right now, but there isn't a shot in hell he plays 16 games with the way he's playing.

Listen, there is no doubt that Fitz is an AWFUL QB, he is not even a good game manager.  We have played 4 of the worst teams in the league so far (although on paper they were not supposed to be - in reality that is EXACTLY what they are).  

Should we be happy to be 3-1 - hey a win is a win.  Can we expect this to continue?  Well Richardson will be a huge upgrade over Williams and Decker, Owusu and Cumberland can only help as they get healthier.

In spite of the 3-1 start should the Jets be entertaining a switch to Geno - well, here's my thoughts - if Geno had been injured via a traditional football injury - then undoubtedly....however there is a deep problem here that cannot be ignored - Geno does NOT have the locker room behind him - he also does not have Bowles respect....therefore I do not believe he will be given an opportunity.  Is Geno a better QB than Fitz - I have to say yes.

I just don't want the team to waste games being complacent about the play of our Qb just because we're 3-1, I feel this regime and coaching staff can do better then we are getting, Fitz has not played well enough to be near where this team can be. I'll say it again, I don't like Geno, nor have I ever liked him, but I know that he can outplay Fitz with the team we have right now, and I don't want to waste time being complacent over mediocre play. This should be a tough decision for Bowles and it should really be a conversation behind closed doors. We've played 4 awful teams, Fitz will be exposed several more times this season as he was against Philly, Fitz is far from the reason we are winning, we probably would be 3-1 with Petty or Geno starting, heck we could of been 4-0 as well. The improvement we are seeing in defense and offense is due to the work Bowles and Mac has done, putting the best players out there based on performance, this team was built with Geno's capabilities in mind, l know Geno will surprise us all if he was to get a chance to play. (And that was really hard for me to say) 

Fitz is the starting qb.  Why is this so hard to understand?  We would be 2-2 with geno right now and both loses would be directly from his boneheadd mistakes.

we are 3-1 right now and the only reason we lost the eagles game was because of the defense.  Fitz is making enough throws and is not losing games.  Hes the guy.  Why do we have this same thread every week?

I know its been beaten to death and I thought it was a silly topic about going to geno  but.............  

I think its the time. Is it possible with a 3-1 record? We are 3-1 despite Fitz. I was ok after the Cleveland game (even though he missed many throws) 

I was feeling good after the Colt game ( Cause we won) his performance was camouflaged. 

Sorry if Im late to the party But the time is now. There are a lot of folks here that beat me to this and i thought u were all just jumping the gun being silly but Fitz was brutal today. The Marshal 5 yard under throw costing us a TD. The Sailing screen to Ivory. The 4 thrown to the feet of Enunwa and Decker. He simply doesn't have an NFL arm.

I feel that this D and offensive talent is too good to waste on this type of QB play. 

I really wanted to be all in on the beard. But we all know he can't take us anywhere. He's a good backup. He did his job no? We are 3-1 while Geno was out week 1 and 2. Now week 3-4 he gets back into playing shape. Coming back from the Bye I see no reason to stick with Fitz.

What are we afraid of? Fitz threw many balls that could have been picked. Geno could have done that as well. Miami, Cleveland, The Colts and the Eagles are a mess right now. Were not "lucky" to be 3-1, we just have more talent. 

I have been anti Geno for a long time. But I think he gives us the best chance

The time is now. Who it with me?

First off I think Fitz will is garbage and I don't like Geno either.

But a rookie HC who pulls his starter at the 3-1 mark would be laughed out of NY quicker than Idzik

Fitz plays until we are 5-8 and then we check out Petty for the last few games. I've seen Geno play 30 or so games. That's enough

Archived