Rex Ryan thread, week 4 edition

Bruce Harper

They are not whining,  they're telling the truth.  Rex needs to fix our defense.  And,  Sammy proved that he is a valuable asset to our team.  Just on Sunday,  he caught 4 out of 5 plays for 48 yards and ran a 22 yard touch down.  Facts are not whining IMO

Please I have gone to Bills fan websites and folks are panicking you are 3-3 and lost to two GREAT teams!!  Why the panicking?

IMO the plain truth is folks in Buffalo were not ready for the mental strain that surrounds a Rex led team.  Rex talks so much and sets expectations so high that only a SB will do and people turn on that fast in NYC but they turn on it faster in Western New York because that is not the make up of the community.  The steel mills might be gone but the hard working blue collar mentality of the people remains rooted in hard work and being humble,  not Rex's forte.

Rex may let you guys down in the long run but please don't listen to nonsense your team is good and Rex can get you to the playoffs but, he as you have been warned, comes with real baggage.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say they were measured by one game.   The Jets schedule hasn't been difficult until now.  The Bills are being criticized for losing to 2 undefeated teams.  The Jets will have a chance to play their first undefeated team Sunday.  Let's see how they do.

Nonsense, when you have a quote by Rex or Bills fans saying we'll win all the games against crappy teams and will be .500 against winning teams come back to us.  

Its not who you lose to, its not who you beat, its how you look in your games.  On every level the Bills look like a mediocre team.  To anyone who were part of the initial overhype of the Bills after Rex was signed the start of the season is pure let down and more of the same.  

Nonsense, when you have a quote by Rex or Bills fans saying we'll win all the games against crappy teams and will be .500 against winning teams come back to us.  

Its not who you lose to, its not who you beat, its how you look in your games.  On every level the Bills look like a mediocre team.  To anyone who were part of the initial overhype of the Bills after Rex was signed the start of the season is pure let down and more of the same.  

Yes but all that matters is the W or L at the end of the day.  Look,  I am not saying that we are perfect.  Our defense looks like hell right now.  I think this will be corrected.  Our offense is injury prone and yes,  Rex has some changes to make.    I am not ready to throw in the towel after six games -  not when we are 3-3.  Please understand,  I don't gloat over anyone's loss or poor fortune nor do I enjoy the gloating that goes on in this forum about the Bills' losses.  I also realize I am on a rival's forum so I don't take it to heart.  

Yes but all that matters is the W or L at the end of the day.  Look,  I am not saying that we are perfect.  Our defense looks like hell right now.  I think this will be corrected.  Our offense is injury prone and yes,  Rex has some changes to make.    I am not ready to throw in the towel after six games -  not when we are 3-3.  Please understand,  I don't gloat over anyone's loss or poor fortune nor do I enjoy the gloating that goes on in this forum about the Bills' losses.  I also realize I am on a rival's forum so I don't take it to heart.  

I know youre not going to throw the towel in yet, youre not that kind of fan.  But you came here, asking about Rex and disagreeing with what some of us told you about Rex.  And told us how wrong we were, it was a "new improved" Rex.  Face it, he's never changing. What you see is what you get.  A middle of the pack HC who pumps up a unsuspecting fan base until it all collapses.  Most of us have been pretty tame in nudging you.  

Please I have gone to Bills fan websites and folks are panicking you are 3-3 and lost to two GREAT teams!!  Why the panicking?

IMO the plain truth is folks in Buffalo were not ready for the mental strain that surrounds a Rex led team.  Rex talks so much and sets expectations so high that only a SB will do and people turn on that fast in NYC but they turn on it faster in Western New York because that is not the make up of the community.  The steel mills might be gone but the hard working blue collar mentality of the people remains rooted in hard work and being humble,  not Rex's forte.

Rex may let you guys down in the long run but please don't listen to nonsense your team is good and Rex can get you to the playoffs but, he as you have been warned, comes with real baggage.

I have to agree somewhat here Charlie.  There has been far too much hype,  especially for me.  I prefer to under promise and over deliver.  The hype here in Buffalo before the Patriots game was embarrassing to me.  It felt like SB week back in the 90's.  I think Rex received the message loud and clear after Sunday's game and the players (Mario Williams and Sammy Watkins) comments.  I watched his (Rex) post game speech,  he truly looked worried.   I hope he listens and goes back to a 4-3 defense.  As I mentioned earlier,  I think we will win Sunday.  A number our injured players should be back after the bye week.  Let's see what happens then.  We still have time to get to the playoffs which is all I am hoping for this year.

I have to agree somewhat here Charlie.  There has been far too much hype,  especially for me.  I prefer to under promise and over deliver.  The hype here in Buffalo before the Patriots game was embarrassing to me.  It felt like SB week back in the 90's.  I think Rex received the message loud and clear after Sunday's game and the players (Mario Williams and Sammy Watkins) comments.  I watched his (Rex) post game speech,  he truly looked worried.   I hope he listens and goes back to a 4-3 defense.  As I mentioned earlier,  I think we will win Sunday.  A number our injured players should be back after the bye week.  Let's see what happens then.  We still have time to get to the playoffs which is all I am hoping for this year.

Are the Bills playing the Jags?  You better win, lol, they're horrible.  

well Rex has good reason to be worried.  The veteran players are starting to grumble. THey may like Rex's country club, no hard work environment, but they don't like losing, which such an environment ultimately does.  

This so typical of Rex.  Deja Vu all over again.  Bills fans are going to be on a roller coaster ride with him and it won't end well, that's for sure.

I know youre not going to throw the towel in yet, youre not that kind of fan.  But you came here, asking about Rex and disagreeing with what some of us told you about Rex.  And told us how wrong we were, it was a "new improved" Rex.  Face it, he's never changing. What you see is what you get.  A middle of the pack HC who pumps up a unsuspecting fan base until it all collapses.  Most of us have been pretty tame in nudging you.  

Well I am not going to argue with you on this one Jet Nut.  I did come here to listen to what fans had to say about Rex.  And,  yes  I didn't want to believe a lot of what was being said.  Maybe I am hoping against hope that things will change.  Like I mentioned a couple of times, Rex looked worried in his post game speech on Sunday.  I read an article today where he thinks it may do the team so good to get away from the negativity here in Buffalo.  He also said that Wednesday (tomorrow) it back to work.  Let's see what happens on Sunday.  Just for the record,  I still like Rex.  

well Rex has good reason to be worried.  The veteran players are starting to grumble. THey may like Rex's country club, no hard work environment, but they don't like losing, which such an environment ultimately does.  

This so typical of Rex.  Deja Vu all over again.  Bills fans are going to be on a roller coaster ride with him and it won't end well, that's for sure.

Well,  I've tried to keep positive after each and every game.  However,  if by chance we lose Sunday,  it's going to be pretty hard to pick up the pieces.

Well I am not going to argue with you on this one Jet Nut.  I did come here to listen to what fans had to say about Rex.  And,  yes  I didn't want to believe a lot of what was being said.  Maybe I am hoping against hope that things will change.  Like I mentioned a couple of times, Rex looked worried in his post game speech on Sunday.  I read an article today where he thinks it may do the team so good to get away from the negativity here in Buffalo.  He also said that Wednesday (tomorrow) it back to work.  Let's see what happens on Sunday.  Just for the record,  I still like Rex.  

Well its big of you jeanie.  You asked, we answered and you argued we were wrong, this was a new Rex.  You take it too personal.  Rex is already on the "life is better on the road, less pressure" angle already?  Took him much longer to use that lame excuse here.  Funny the fool doesnt get that his bragging about playoffs, being tough, bullies, etc puts a target on his team, puts pressure on his team.  He also doesnt get when youre 5 months into your club med treatments you cant get back to work, there never is hard work under Rex.  Don't need it, he'll outs scheme everyone and will win that way.  

Your team will win Sunday, you're playing one of the worst teams in the league.  The Jags suck.  The Bills should win with me as HC.  Rex will tell fans "see" to cheers.  Talk about some new phase etc.  Until they get a beating by the next team on your schedule.

Yes,  we are playing them in London.  And,  you're right,  the Jags are terrible.  The Bills get to face their Former HC, Doug Marrone.  

The Bills don't actually face Marrone.  Gives them a better chance, Rex record against Marrone isn't that good  :P  

Well its big of you jeanie.  You asked, we answered and you argued we were wrong, this was a new Rex.  You take it too personal.  Rex is already on the "life is better on the road, less pressure" angle already?  Took him much longer to use that lame excuse here.  Funny the fool doesnt get that his bragging about playoffs, being tough, bullies, etc puts a target on his team, puts pressure on his team.  He also doesnt get when youre 5 months into your club med treatments you cant get back to work, there never is hard work under Rex.  Don't need it, he'll outs scheme everyone and will win that way.  

Your team will win Sunday, you're playing one of the worst teams in the league.  The Jags suck.  The Bills should win with me as HC.  Rex will tell fans "see" to cheers.  Talk about some new phase etc.  Until they get a beating by the next team on your schedule.

I think we will win Sunday too.   Part of my personality has shown through in my posts.  I tend to see the best in people until they prove me wrong.  Rex has proven me wrong on a few occasions.  

I think we will win Sunday too.   Part of my personality has shown through in my posts.  I tend to see the best in people until they prove me wrong.  Rex has proven me wrong on a few occasions.  

I get that about you, believe me youre not that hard to figure out here jeanie.  Rex is easy to believe in, believe me I know, I bought into his schtick hook line and sinker too

I got you, just busting.  

I got you, just busting.  

Looks like more of our Oline has an issue with the 3-4 scheme

Bills defensive linemen not happy with how Rex Ryan is using them

Rex Ryan's team may have started the season hot with wins against the Colts and Dolphins and a game in which it finished within one possession of the Patriots, but the Bills are now sitting at 3-3. Buffalo has beaten three teams (the Colts, Dolphins and Titans) that don't exactly look like world beaters and lost to its opponents of actual quality (Patriots, Giants, Bengals). Buffalo is 13th in the NFL in point differential, and it looks like the Bills are pretty much an average team.

They were pretty much an average team last year, too, but they were an average team with an elite defense -- Buffalo finished 2014 ranked fourth in both yards and points allowed, and second in Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA. That defense figured to get even better with Ryan coming to town, but that's not exactly been the case.

Buffalo was 10th in defensive DVOA heading into Week 6, when they allowed 34 points to the Bengals. They're 18th in yards-per-game allowed and 16th in points-per-game allowed. After leading the league with 54 sacks in 2014, they're tied for 24th with only nine sacks this year. That's a drop of 1.9 sacks per game, the largest in the league.

The men primarily responsible for the pass rush -- the defensive linemen -- are frustrated, and they're letting multiple media outlets know about it. Specifically, Jerry HughesMarcell Dareus and Mario Williams are not happy that they (and Kyle Williams) are dropping back in coverage on occasion rather than rushing the passer on every snap.

"I think I probably set a record on dropping [back] today, but that's part of the scheme for us to go out and be put in a position to win," Williams said Sunday, per ESPN. "Whatever's called, you have to go out and do it."

Hughes echoed those sentiments.

"Yeah, I'll let the coach coach, and we'll play," Hughes, the big-money defensive end, said when asked about Ryan's play-calling. "So whatever he runs, we'll run it."

Dareus may have been the most unhappy of them all.

"Hey, like [Williams] said, they pay us a lot of money. And we want to use our talents the best way we know how. If we're going to be dropping we don't want to get questions about not getting sacks. That's just how it is," Dareus said Tuesday, per Yahoo! Sports.

"We want to make some plays," Dareus added. "We don't want fans looking at us crazy. We like making plays. We like getting sacks, just being out there exerting a lot of energy and having fun. But when we're dropping, when I'm not out there on third down or just I'm dropping or Kyle [Williams] is dropping or Mario is dropping or Jerry [Hughes] is dropping. ... It's not been a lot of times where there have been all four of us, full tilt, ears pined back and we're going after it. We haven't had a lot of that this year. Hopefully Rex is going to implement it. There's nothing we can do."

Even former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly got in on the action, criticizing Ryan's decision to drop his linemen into coverage too often as well.

"Dropping Mario Williams into coverage a lot? Didn't we pay him a lot of money to hit the quarterback? And if I'm the opposing quarterback and I see him dropping into coverage, oh, that's a big plus. I'd definitely have a smile on my face," Kelly said, per Yahoo! Sports.

Mario Williams and Hughes, in particular, have seen a drop in the percentage of time they're rushing the passer. Respectively, they rushed the passer on 97.2 and 97.5 percent of passing down snaps last season, per Pro Football Focus. Those numbers are at 95.0 percent and 87.4 percent this year. Dareus has seen his pass-rush percentage drop from 100 percent to 98.1 percent, while Kyle Williams has dipped from 97.8 percent to 94.1 percent. That all amounts to just a few snaps per game, but every snap those guys aren't getting after the passer feels like a wasted one to them.

As for Rex, he is willing to take the blame -- to a point.

"A couple of them are my fault," he said, per ESPN. "I went with some three-man-rush stuff and never let my guys go as much as I should have. But I don't think our guys had enough shots on him, so we'll see. We got to take a long, hard look at what we're asking our guys to do."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25347412/bills-defensive-linemen-not-happy-with-how-rex-ryan-is-using-them

I get that about you, believe me youre not that hard to figure out here jeanie.  Rex is easy to believe in, believe me I know, I bought into his schtick hook line and sinker too

You see,  we can agree on some  issues :P  I think Rex actually believes what he says.  If he can just become cautiously optimistic,  it would be a big improvement.

You see,  we can agree on some  issues :P  I think Rex actually believes what he says.  If he can just become cautiously optimistic,  it would be a big improvement.

I think Rex believes that his fanbase believes what he says. :D

Rex wont change.  Getting fired didn't change him, nothing will.  He is what he is

I am actually scared for Rex. 

I listened to him and his presser and he lacked any confidence for real, he could have a break down.

IMO Buffalo fans already, way way to prematurely are saying that he has lost the team.

For example:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?520003-Marcell-Dareus-questions-Rex-Ryan-dropping-him-back-in-coverage

mgamer45

"Rex clearly had lost control of this team
He is being questioned on both sides of the ball.
Marrone didn't even get questioned, neither did Gailey or Jauron
So much for a players coach lol
What s nightmare this has become."

What is interesting the players on the Jets never questioned Rex openly and I mean never!!!

So this is unchartered territory for Rex and it makes me nervous..

I am actually scared for Rex. 

I listened to him and his presser and he lacked any confidence for real, he could have a break down.

IMO Buffalo fans already, way way to prematurely are saying that he has lost the team.

mgamer45

"Rex clearly had lost control of this team
He is being questioned on both sides of the ball.
Marrone didn't even get questioned, neither did Gailey or Jauron
So much for a players coach lol
What s nightmare this has become."

What is interesting the players on the Jets never questioned Rex openly and I mean never!!!

So this is unchartered territory for Rex and it makes me nervous..

The difference is, the Bills players just spent the last two seasons kicking Rex's ass, so he had to come in and prove that he wasn't an assclown. Instead, he filled the locker room with douchebags, spent the summer sprinting around town to every photo op he could get, and proceeded to get destroyed by the Pats early on. In 09 and 10, he was an unknown quantity so he could sell the players on this idea that there was some as-yet untapped well of answers in his head. In Buffalo, those players know he's an attention-whoring a$$hole who's surrounded himself with Yes men. 

I think it's over blown, but a Bills fan buddy of mine has already jumped off the Rex wagon.  They played some good teams and have been hit with injuries still, but there's a lot of games to be played. Honestly, I don't remember the Jets players ever questioning Rex, in the last days. 

I think it's over blown, but a Bills fan buddy of mine has already jumped off the Rex wagon.  They played some good teams and have been hit with injuries still, but there's a lot of games to be played. Honestly, I don't remember the Jets players ever questioning Rex, in the last days. 

I think it's a little too early to jump ship too.  The injuries have definitely hurts us.  I am beginning to wonder if they're ever going to stop this season.  

I honestly feel bad for Rex.  I wanted him to have some level of success for all the heart he put into the Jets - I also like when the less heralded (crappy) cities have something to cheer for.

That said, I'm surprised the whole D Line is throwing Rex under the bus after 6 games.  The guy always has his players back and the lack of reciprocity is very telling and if they continue to lose will be damning.  Why not just have those talks behind closed doors, for them all to be in cahoots to share this with the media isn't the right way to go about it.

I honestly feel bad for Rex.  I wanted him to have some level of success for all the heart he put into the Jets - I also like when the less heralded (crappy) cities have something to cheer for.

That said, I'm surprised the whole D Line is throwing Rex under the bus after 6 games.  The guy always has his players back and the lack of reciprocity is very telling and if they continue to lose will be damning.  Why not just have those talks behind closed doors, for them all to be in cahoots to share this with the media isn't the right way to go about it.

I agree. When you look at the numbers the guys on the D line are getting 3% less pass rushes. That's not a substantial change in play. If you're pass rushing 95% of the time then the complaint seems silly.

You look at those numbers, they are still rushing 95% of the time.  That means they are dropping back, 2, 3 times a game?  Oh the horror!!

I think it's a little too early to jump ship too.  The injuries have definitely hurts us.  I am beginning to wonder if they're ever going to stop this season.  

You Bills fans might want to start questioning the effects of Rex's soft camp

There's a strong possibility that these players have already spoken behind closed doors and they didn't get answers.  Our guys are most likely experiencing the same feelings as a lot of the fans.  They looked forward to an outstanding season and now after 6 games, there's a major disappointment.  Most important,  their careers are being challenged as a result of the inability to make plays.  I am sure the negativity in the news and among fans played  a major role here.

As for Buffalo being a less heralded city.  You may want to google or come for a visit.  We are no longer the city of the 80's and 90's. 

I'm very curious what, if any, effect the fact that Doug Marrone is coaching for Jax has on this game.  We know that wacky things motivate players and coaches which leads to unseen upsets, etc.  Marrone left the Bills which could fire up the Bills players.  He also knows their tendencies and weaknesses.  His new team could want to win one for their coach.  Who knows...but the dynamic here is very interesting.  

Should Jax win this game I can see the fact that Marrone is on the Jax staff putting even more pressure on Rex in Buffalo.  The upset, Marrone being there could really hasten Rex losing the locker room.

Marrone is going to want to stick it to the Bills big time...should be interesting.

I'm very curious what, if any, effect the fact that Doug Marrone is coaching for Jax has on this game.  We know that wacky things motivate players and coaches which leads to unseen upsets, etc.  Marrone left the Bills which could fire up the Bills players.  He also knows their tendencies and weaknesses.  His new team could want to win one for their coach.  Who knows...but the dynamic here is very interesting.  

Should Jax win this game I can see the fact that Marrone is on the Jax staff putting even more pressure on Rex in Buffalo.  The upset, Marrone being there could really hasten Rex losing the locker room.

Marrone is going to want to stick it to the Bills big time...should be interesting.

Plus if Rex loses to the Jaguars we get to say that Idzik ruined him, again.

Marone really has no reason to want to stick it to the Bills.  He left on his own volition and is collecting a pretty hefty pay check (from the Bills) for a period of one year and for doing nothing>

A loss to the Jaguars this week would just about take the Bills off the playoff radar in my mind.  Rex would need to buck his trend of post-bye week failures against Miami 2 weeks later just to get back to .500.  Not a good situation to be in, even in a down year for most of the AFC.

All players and coaches want to stick it to the teams they just left...regardless of the circumstances surrounding their departure.  Jax wins, he looks better.  Marrone dominated Rex 2x last year.  Jax beats the Bills the fact that Marrone is there will be a big deal.  It will look terrible for Rex and, in my belief, significantly hurt the chemistry of the team.  I don't think the game will be as easy as everyone believes...

Archived