At the end of the day, Bowles is much more aggressive than Rex.

Bruce Harper

People seem to be focusing on Rex's bravado and attendant circus atmosphere versus Bowles's calm, controlled demeanor or his general aura of competence, but perhaps the most important difference between the two is that, putting talk aside, Bowles is more consistently aggressive on defense, especially at the end of games.

We all know that Bowles likes to blitz, but unlike Rex, it appears that he stays committed to it until the bitter end.  So far, his strategy regarding blitzing doesn't seem to change when the Jets are up 7 or 10 points in the fourth quarter.  One thing that used to drive me nuts about Rex is that after building a lead by being aggressive, he would change the strategy in the fourth quarter by being less aggressive, blitzing less and even going into a prevent defense.  And this was the case even when he had Revis and Cro. Don't know if this will continue but I like it.   

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite was the 3 and out they forced at the end of the first half, when the Jets literally had the same exact defense in the game and sent the same exact blitz...Skrine off the corner.  Tannehill tried to throw it at the blitz but Skrine disrupted both passes coming off the edge untouched.  

Bowles impressed me this week but getting the team out to a much faster start on the road in London.  They'd been a little flat lately out the gates but they started hot yesterday. Great job by Bowles and job by Gailey by opening it up and connecting on a big one that really set the tone of the game.

Great game plan.  Tannehill cant handle pressure at all and Bowles brought it all game long never taking his foot off the gas.

I read it was over 70 percent.

Wow so it wasn't an illusion. He really did bring the heat that much, gotta love it and totally agree JiF, that series of plays where he just ran the same blitz 3 times had Tannehill crapping his pants.  Great feel and killer instinct on defense.  Would like to see that translate a little more to 60 minutes of the same style on offense please.

Not defending Rex AT ALL...but it's a little easier to send the house like Bowles is able to do when you have a secondary like he has currently. I don't think he'd be quite so aggressive if he had our starting backfield from last season playing now.

he definitely is and this secondary is the best we have had maybe ever.  we know how good Revis and Cro are but Skrine has been incredible and we have so much depth in the secondary.  This D will end up being the best we have had in my lifetime, it's already really good and now we get Richardson back.  Just please stay healthy.

I'm happy Miami gave Tannehill that contract.

absolutely and happy they think he is a franchise QB and lean so heavily on him.  Ryan is not a guy who is going to win enough game w/ his arm.  they need to run it and they always come out throwing thinking he will win them games.

Not defending Rex AT ALL...but it's a little easier to send the house like Bowles is able to do when you have a secondary like he has currently. I don't think he'd be quite so aggressive if he had our starting backfield from last season playing now.

IMO the difference is he's not sending the house all the time. His blitzes are different and come from different areas . Rex was always the overload bring the house type blitz. No doubt having competent DB's will make any defense better , but scheme and unpredictability go a long way as well. Bowles isn't saying this is what we do see if you can beat it, its only 4 games but he appears a much better "chess" player than full of bravdo Rex.

IMO the difference is he's not sending the house all the time. His blitzes are different and come from different areas . Rex was always the overload bring the house type blitz. No doubt having competent DB's will make any defense better , but scheme and unpredictability go a long way as well. Bowles isn't saying this is what we do see if you can beat it, its only 4 games but he appears a much better "chess" player than full of bravdo Rex.

Meh, like I said in my post above...he literally ran the exact same play (an over load blitz) where he sent Skrine from the same place, nothing changed at all for 3 straight plays in a row.

He's got the horses to do it.  This D is loaded.

If we ever actually get a proper speed rushing olb it will be carnage.  We get pressure form guys like Harris who is not real fast and Davis, who has speed but his instincts seem straight line.  If richardson comes back and plays like he can we will destroy a lot of olines and see a LOT of TE's and RB's having to stay in to block.

I don't think we have seen a soft zone yet.Although we blitz a lot, it never seems we are selling out to blitz either, the coverage concepts behind are brilliant. If the offense could turn it up a couple notches, the defense could get even scarier. Hopefully Richardson is in shape, he will be a dynamic addition to the defense.

I think all the Arizona injuries last year and all the 2nd and 3rd stringers he played with and he continued to play to the strengths of the players he has on the field.  I don't think it would have changed much honestly.  He is just very very very good at knowing what his players can do and giving them opportunities to make plays.

I don't think we have seen a soft zone yet.Although we blitz a lot, it never seems we are selling out to blitz either, the coverage concepts behind are brilliant. If the offense could turn it up a couple notches, the defense could get even scarier. Hopefully Richardson is in shape, he will be a dynamic addition to the defense.

Unlike Rex Ryan who I think Blitzes to get sacks, Bowles sees sacks as a byproduct, he seems to focus more on blitzing to create better opportunities for his secondary to make plays on the ball.  I saw it in Arizona last year and am so excited to see it brought to the next level here with all star talent.

My favorite was the 3 and out they forced at the end of the first half, when the Jets literally had the same exact defense in the game and sent the same exact blitz...Skrine off the corner.  Tannehill tried to throw it at the blitz but Skrine disrupted both passes coming off the edge untouched.  

Bowles impressed me this week but getting the team out to a much faster start on the road in London.  They'd been a little flat lately out the gates but they started hot yesterday. Great job by Bowles and job by Gailey by opening it up and connecting on a big one that really set the tone of the game.

Great game plan.  Tannehill cant handle pressure at all and Bowles brought it all game long never taking his foot off the gas.

That was amazing, didn't they go 3 and out in like 6 seconds on that drive. That was my favorite as well. 

That was amazing, didn't they go 3 and out in like 6 seconds on that drive. That was my favorite as well. 

6 or 16 or something...the announces were like, well, that was the fastest 3 and out, possibly ever recorded.  haha.

Literally ran the same exact play, no wrinkle from look to look.  

Meh, like I said in my post above...he literally ran the exact same play (an over load blitz) where he sent Skrine from the same place, nothing changed at all for 3 straight plays in a row.

He's got the horses to do it.  This D is loaded.

Remember the days when most fans hated the blitz?? Now it's the greatest invention of all time..LOL

Remember the days when most fans hated the blitz?? Now it's the greatest invention of all time..LOL

When you have corners and safeties, it's great.

It'll be interesting to see how he attacks the Pats and Brady.  They get the ball out so fast over there, our corners will need to be up on the line.  I am so looking forward to that chess match.

We didn't hate the blitz.  We hated when it was predictable.  And we also hated when it was abandoned during the final 2 minutes of each half, opting for a pu$$y prevent D instead.

Unlike Rex Ryan who I think Blitzes to get sacks, Bowles sees sacks as a byproduct, he seems to focus more on blitzing to create better opportunities for his secondary to make plays on the ball.  I saw it in Arizona last year and am so excited to see it brought to the next level here with all star talent.

Yeah, for a short time I was disappointed that we were not getting as many sacks as I liked but then I realized that even without the sacks we are being super disruptive consistently which leads to lots of easy incompletions, and interceptions.

We didn't hate the blitz.  We hated when it was predictable.  And we also hated when it was abandoned during the final 2 minutes of each half, opting for a pu$$y prevent D instead.

I agree it does work much better when you bring in 4 DB's one being Revis and the others much more talented then what you had.. Too many teams go for the pu$$y prevent defense I always hated that move..

I feel like he plays more logically than Rex. But at the same time he is not as predictable. He ACTUALLY uses David Harris. TB has gotten so much more out of him in the 4 games theyve played. Guys arent as reckless. This is team is the most discipline ive seen since Herm/Mangini but even those teams had an edge of immaturity that this team doesnt. 

Yeah, well the Philly game was bulls#it. Relying on our front four to get pressure/hurries/sacks was where we went wrong.

hopefully our new coaching staff realizes the advantage it creates when we're blitzing this way and sticks with it...unless Sheldon completely changes it when he returns.

Which LB's?? Bart Scott,The Ghost,Trusnik,Westerman Pace and Harris were the same..

Against Coples the ghost and an older Pace and Harris. Yes the 09 linebackers were better. Not saying much but they were definitely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowles blitzes when the game plan and the personnel dictates it. He doesn't blitz for the sake of it like ryan did. 

He  had a great secondary in zona; peterson, cromartie, Mathieu, powers. They weren't easy to throw on. Same situation here. And Miami couldn't handle the blitz, so he made it as uncomfortable for them as he could. That's good coaching, 

I feel like he plays more logically than Rex. But at the same time he is not as predictable. He ACTUALLY uses David Harris. TB has gotten so much more out of him in the 4 games theyve played. Guys arent as reckless. This is team is the most discipline ive seen since Herm/Mangini but even those teams had an edge of immaturity that this team doesnt. 

Last year Harris had 6 sacks in 2011 he had 5 sacks and 4 picks what was Harris before Bowles had him a virgin??:D No doubt this team has more discipline we never get flagged and only 1 player got punched out.. And for the record Mac and Bowles are my favorite combo since I have been a Jet fan. I just get a kick out of the love a Coach gets when he's winning but I have no doubt if we lose some games Jet fans will turn on him quicker then Tom Shane picking your pocket on a crowded subway..

It will continue.  Bowles is the most aggressive blitzer in teh game.  I think he led the league last yr with the Cards with 49% of blitzes.  Yesterday felt like he blitzed literally 80% of the time lol

Amazing that a team can have a good D and NOT need REX. (LOL).

On that note..Ilive Mo but I expect a little more speed from our D Line. Lots of pressure but seem slower than I expect.

Archived