CobraVerde

I hate that no matter what time, what day, what year....

Don't worry about it.  Baseball is only relevant now in about 6-8 markets, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.  Baseball only has about another 20 years of major sport relevance.  The Baby Boomers are the last true baseball generation.  When they are gone, baseball will die.  Younger generations don't have the patience to watch a 3.5 hour collection of conferences at the mound, pitchers warming up, pickoff attempts, chew/sunflower seed spitting, and nuts scratching. A boring, outdated game....

unfortunately you may be right.  These kids today have the attention span of a fruit loop thanks to social media and tv, film and music going in the toilet.  To make matters worse mlb now has instant replay which is retarded and makes the game even longer.

you have a soccer avatar and you are talking about boring sports? doesn't get more boring than soccer.

soccer is boring but it's a very simple game and the games are short which is perfect for this new millenial generation which doesn't know what the inside of a library looks like and considers Justin Bieber to be an artist.

The NFL and MLB both are going to be dumpster fires 20 years from now when they have no talent because parents won't let their kids play football and baseball has no popularity.

NFL maybe but why aren't parents allowing their kids to play baseball?  it's more popular now than it has been in my lifetime and once people realize that heading the ball in soccer can produce the same brain injuries as football what will happen then?

I have young kids, my son will eventually play football but is playing soccer for now and I will not allow him to head a ball.

the problem with baseball isn't so much the parents it's the kids not showing as much interest.  Soccer and, unfortunately, MMA, are exploding in popularity

soccer has always been very popular w/ kids, especially early on when many aren't coordinated enough to play regular sports.

baseball doesn't rely upon American kids.

What are you talking about baseball doesn't rely on American kids?  America is still the biggest talent pool even with other countries supplying players.  Soccer is exploding in popularity in this country because the newer generations of kids are being pussified.  Go to a Sounders game in Seattle with 75,000 people at Centurylink Field. 

"Pussified" you say?  Baseball is way more vaginal than "football. "  Pansies are outta breath after running a lousy 90 feet and spend two weeks on the DL for a broken nail.  Now I ask you, which is the real sissy sport?

Oh wait... I forgot about the bloody sock.  (eyeroll)

Soccer is the sport kids in high school kids play because they're too scared to play football.

Edited by drdetroit

I still like baseball, but don't follow it the way I used to. What is now apparent is MLB makes money because for almost 3 months it's the only sports programming in North America. But it's all become too damn much. the season and the games are too long, and the wildcard nonsense is out of hand. You could've ended the season a week or 2 ago and there wouldn't have been any real change in the standings.Having this September death march  is pointless.  And the ratings and interest compared to the NFL and college football head to head is not even close. 

We discussed this a bit during the World Cup, and I've come around to thinking that may be not in my lifetime but sometime midcentury soccer could  surpass baseball in popularity in this country.It will take better developmental programs than we have now. But look at it in these terms; the 1980 US win in Olympic hockey grew that game by leaps and bounds in the US in a few decades. Soccer needs something like that, the US to have a serious WC run.

One big issue that's a double-edged sword ; Latino players in the US. The idea that tomorrow night in the Rose Bowl the US team will be treated like visitors in their own country vs. Mexico hurts, a lot. In any other sport, that would be unthinkable. 

I'm always amazed when big-time baseball guys like Russo and Francesa criticize the nba for having a long season when the MLB season is twice as long.  If you count ST and playoffs baseball goes from February to late October.  That's insanely long. 

Kids just don't have the attention span these days to handle that.  Go to a baseball game anyone below the age of 30 is looking at their stupid phone the entire time.  You're probably going to see the MLS pass MLB in popularity in 1-2 generations and soccer is already taking a big bite out of the NFL's talent pool.

Edited by drdetroit

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company