CobraVerde

I hate that no matter what time, what day, what year....

That's why I have Sirius Satellite radio. Great investment!

Word. 

please stop calling soccer football.

soccer at a high level requires coordination, not for 5 year olds.

soccer is popular in about 3 places- KC, Portland and Seattle.  other than those places attendance isn't good anywhere else.  I notice when the NYCSC games are on TV they never move the camera to get shots of the crowd, they show the good seats filled but never pan up or around to see all the empty seats.

I disagree.

MLS had a higher average attendance than the NBA and NHL last year.  While teams like Seattle boosted the average, each league has a few teams that pick-up attendance.

Your NYCFC example is bad as well.  MLS should be played in smaller stadiums.  Sporting KC looks packed because Sporting Park is small.  If NYCFC was playing in a 27K stadium like they average, it would be a lot more like a soccer environment than in a stadium with 22K empty seats.

I get people do not like soccer, but to say it is popular in three places is ignorant.   Soccer is here and it is here to stay.

they play in larger stadiums and give away free tickets.  that stuff is all inflated.

NYCSC is supposedly building a stadium but the red bulls built a tiny stadium and it is always empty.

I was discussing in this country as far as MLS attendance.  soccer is more popular than ever in the US but it's still not popular.

They play/played in larger stadiums because it was easy for stadium owners to bank money while their stadiums sat empty between football seasons.

Red Bulls average 20K.   Not exactly empty.

MLS wants to have soccer specific stadiums.  14 teams do.  Their product looks better in a soccer specific stadium.  As you said, NYCFC looks  bad when a stadium is half empty event though they have one of the highest averages.

those are inflated #s, there is no way they average 20k when the stadium only holds about 20k. 

they should have 10-20K seat soccer only stadiums.  NYCSC will have one at some point but half the thrill of watching that team is watching them in Yankee Stadium.

Red Bull Arena sits 25K which is perfect for a soccer stadium.

If the league is averaging 19K, then 20K stadiums should be the starting point.

While I understand your point about Yankee Stadium, it is not even the original stadium.  Plus, it is not designed for a soccer field. 

I understsnd that but seeing another sport in yankee Stadium is interesting to people.

20-25 K should be tops for MOST teams, some places like Seattle can support more but most need stadiums w/ the capacity of Arenas.

baseball isn't going anywhere, football isn't going anywhere.  until our best athletes play soccer it won't even be in the discussion w/ the major sports. 

No doubt.

I agree and disagree with your last two points.  

I agree that Football is the king and baseball has been around for almost 150 years.

I disagree on the athlete part.  Soccer players are athletes and I think due to the growth of the game over the last 50 years, soccer is seeing better athletes now.

• Upvote 2

NASCAR FTMFW!

Now that is a regional sport for you.

You do understand just how long the NBA season is when you count camp and play-offs like you did above for MLB above.... don't you?

I think you owe Russo and Francesa an apology. 

I think the issue is more the playoffs.

Baseball playoffs began on the 6th and will finish on Nov 4th if the WS goes 7 games. 

NBA playoffs takes two months.  Too long.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

NFL #1, MLB #2, NCAA Football #3, auto racing #4, NBA #5, NHL #6 and NCAA Bball #7.  That is January 2014 and I do not see soccer there.  Even adding the college and NBA they are still more than 1/3 less than baseball. 

FWIW, football is football in Italy.  Soccer is calcio - which means kick. So stop ******* asking me if I played soccer!

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1546/Default.aspx

Harris disagrees with Rovell.

wnd_addd2693c837b063a473f5135ba3e67d.jpg

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company