CobraVerde

I hate that no matter what time, what day, what year....

iDon't worry about it.  Baseball is only relevant now in about 6-8 markets, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.  Baseball only has about another 20 years of major sport relevance.  The Baby Boomers are the last true baseball generation.  When they are gone, baseball will die.  Younger generations don't have the patience to watch a 3.5 hour collection of conferences at the mound, pitchers warming up, pickoff attempts, chew/sunflower seed spitting, and nuts scratching. A boring, outdated game....

I still like baseball, but don't follow it the way I used to. What is now apparent is MLB makes money because for almost 3 months it's the only sports programming in North America. But it's all become too damn much. the season and the games are too long, and the wildcard nonsense is out of hand. You could've ended the season a week or 2 ago and there wouldn't have been any real change in the standings.Having this September death march  is pointless.  And the ratings and interest compared to the NFL and college football head to head is not even close. 

We discussed this a bit during the World Cup, and I've come around to thinking that may be not in my lifetime but sometime midcentury soccer could  surpass baseball in popularity in this country.It will take better developmental programs than we have now. But look at it in these terms; the 1980 US win in Olympic hockey grew that game by leaps and bounds in the US in a few decades. Soccer needs something like that, the US to have a serious WC run.

One big issue that's a double-edged sword ; Latino players in the US. The idea that tomorrow night in the Rose Bowl the US team will be treated like visitors in their own country vs. Mexico hurts, a lot. In any other sport, that would be unthinkable. 

Needlessly long. There's no reason to play any regular season games after Labor Day. And it puts them head to head with the NFL and NCAA. and gets killed in very way. Seems to be playing in a lot of empty stadiums all September. The mets and Yankees, despite being in supposed playoff races, played to a lot of empty seats in NY. Again, 5 teams making the postseason cheapens the value of the regular season, so why does it have to be so long? And despite some minor changes, the games are too damn long. Put it this way; went out to dinner last night with the mrs. around the time the Mets/Dodgers started. Got home and caught up on some DVR stuff( IFC show "Benders" which is very funny, BTW) , and still saw the last 3 innings. How did they manage to play 9 inning playoff games in the 1960s and 70s in 2 hours 15 minutes and ow it's 3 + hours? Makes no sense at all.   NBA's issue is more that the playoffs don't seem to care about the regular season, the timeouts at the ned of the game take forever and the schedule for the postseason is needlessly long. Fair to point out the NBA hasn't fixed any of that. 

Edited by Bugg

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company