I hate that no matter what time, what day, what year....

CobraVerde

ESPN NY is ALWAYS talking Yankees,,,, Dont get me wrong i know it's a baseball town and I know there is news, but this isnt just now. This is has been on my mind for a while. The only Jets talk is during Countdown and 5th quarter and and man all day I figure at some point I would stumble on a conversation on the radio.

Don't worry about it.  Baseball is only relevant now in about 6-8 markets, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.  Baseball only has about another 20 years of major sport relevance.  The Baby Boomers are the last true baseball generation.  When they are gone, baseball will die.  Younger generations don't have the patience to watch a 3.5 hour collection of conferences at the mound, pitchers warming up, pickoff attempts, chew/sunflower seed spitting, and nuts scratching. A boring, outdated game....

It blows my mind anybody talks about baseball period. That sport is 10 years away from being completely irrelevant. 

A big part of the problem is the major media markets have failed to find enough talented personalities and writers to talk about rapidly growing sports like MMA and the other kind of football; domestic, foreign,  and international.

absolutely not.....  Still huge crowd at most stadiums most teams.  Some exceptions of course.

Sports are more about television ratings these days than attendance.  And those ratings are tracking more kids watching the English Premiere League than Major League Baseball.  Infinitely more kids play "FIFA" than "The Show" or whatever they call the video game of baseball.  But like I said, the number of markets with the high attendance you refer to will shrink. 

Don't worry about it.  Baseball is only relevant now in about 6-8 markets, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.  Baseball only has about another 20 years of major sport relevance.  The Baby Boomers are the last true baseball generation.  When they are gone, baseball will die.  Younger generations don't have the patience to watch a 3.5 hour collection of conferences at the mound, pitchers warming up, pickoff attempts, chew/sunflower seed spitting, and nuts scratching. A boring, outdated game....

Tell that to the parents who refuse to let their kids play football.

Tell that to the parents who refuse to let their kids play football.

I don't have children... but if I did, I would not let my son play American Football either.  It doesn't mean those boys will want to play baseball,  aka the American Naptime.

I don't have children... but if I did, I would not let my son play American Football either.  It doesn't mean those boys will want to play baseball,  aka the American Naptime.

you have a soccer avatar and you are talking about boring sports? doesn't get more boring than soccer.

you have a soccer avatar and you are talking about boring sports? doesn't get more boring than soccer.

Opinions vary.  Even so...  the other football has no commercial breaks except halftime, and a match only lasts 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Baseball lasts 3-3.5 hours with constant interruptions.   High quality football has a sophistication and beauty beyond some.  Too bad.

Opinions vary.  Even so...  the other football has no commercial breaks except halftime, and a match only lasts 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Baseball lasts 3-3.5 hours with constant interruptions.   High quality football has a sophistication and beauty beyond some.  Too bad.

the only thing I like about soccer is no commercials.  baseball does last too long as most sports do. 

football is the best sport and is constantly interrupted by commercials.

it is certainly beyond me, I don't find it appealing to watch 3 shots on goal in a game and half the time players walking around a giant field.  the world cup can be fun like the olympics are to gymnastics and swimming but other than that it's a bore even w/o commercials.

there's something wrong w/ a sport that can decide it's highest championship w/ a penalty kick shootout.  that would be like the SB being decided by a FG kicking contest.

unfortunately you may be right.  These kids today have the attention span of a fruit loop thanks to social media and tv, film and music going in the toilet.  To make matters worse mlb now has instant replay which is retarded and makes the game even longer.

soccer is boring but it's a very simple game and the games are short which is perfect for this new millenial generation which doesn't know what the inside of a library looks like and considers Justin Bieber to be an artist.

The NFL and MLB both are going to be dumpster fires 20 years from now when they have no talent because parents won't let their kids play football and baseball has no popularity.

soccer is boring but it's a very simple game and the games are short which is perfect for this new millenial generation which doesn't know what the inside of a library looks like and considers Justin Bieber to be an artist.

The NFL and MLB both are going to be dumpster fires 20 years from now when they have no talent because parents won't let their kids play football and baseball has no popularity.

NFL maybe but why aren't parents allowing their kids to play baseball?  it's more popular now than it has been in my lifetime and once people realize that heading the ball in soccer can produce the same brain injuries as football what will happen then?

I have young kids, my son will eventually play football but is playing soccer for now and I will not allow him to head a ball.

NFL maybe but why aren't parents allowing their kids to play baseball?  it's more popular now than it has been in my lifetime and once people realize that heading the ball in soccer can produce the same brain injuries as football what will happen then?

I have young kids, my son will eventually play football but is playing soccer for now and I will not allow him to head a ball.

the problem with baseball isn't so much the parents it's the kids not showing as much interest.  Soccer and, unfortunately, MMA, are exploding in popularity

the problem with baseball isn't so much the parents it's the kids not showing as much interest.  Soccer and, unfortunately, MMA, are exploding in popularity

soccer has always been very popular w/ kids, especially early on when many aren't coordinated enough to play regular sports.

baseball doesn't rely upon American kids.

soccer has always been very popular w/ kids, especially early on when many aren't coordinated enough to play regular sports.

"Football" requires high levels of coordination.  It doesn't look like it until you get way beyond the "bumblebee swarm kids soccer."  And many of those kids you refer to are now grown up football fans with kids of their own playing, watching and attending matches.

"Football" requires high levels of coordination.  It doesn't look like it until you get way beyond the "bumblebee swarm kids soccer."  And many of those kids you refer to are now grown up football fans with kids of their own playing, watching and attending matches.

please stop calling soccer football.

soccer at a high level requires coordination, not for 5 year olds.

soccer is popular in about 3 places- KC, Portland and Seattle.  other than those places attendance isn't good anywhere else.  I notice when the NYCSC games are on TV they never move the camera to get shots of the crowd, they show the good seats filled but never pan up or around to see all the empty seats.

please stop calling soccer football.

soccer at a high level requires coordination, not for 5 year olds.

soccer is popular in about 3 places- KC, Portland and Seattle.  other than those places attendance isn't good anywhere else.  I notice when the NYCSC games are on TV they never move the camera to get shots of the crowd, they show the good seats filled but never pan up or around to see all the empty seats.

I disagree.

MLS had a higher average attendance than the NBA and NHL last year.  While teams like Seattle boosted the average, each league has a few teams that pick-up attendance.

Your NYCFC example is bad as well.  MLS should be played in smaller stadiums.  Sporting KC looks packed because Sporting Park is small.  If NYCFC was playing in a 27K stadium like they average, it would be a lot more like a soccer environment than in a stadium with 22K empty seats.

I get people do not like soccer, but to say it is popular in three places is ignorant.   Soccer is here and it is here to stay.

I disagree.

MLS had a higher average attendance than the NBA and NHL last year.  While teams like Seattle boosted the average, each league has a few teams that pick-up attendance.

Your NYCFC example is bad as well.  MLS should be played in smaller stadiums.  Sporting KC looks packed because Sporting Park is small.  If NYCFC was playing in a 27K stadium like they average, it would be a lot more like a soccer environment than in a stadium with 22K empty seats.

I get people do not like soccer, but to say it is popular in three places is ignorant.   Soccer is here and it is here to stay.

they play in larger stadiums and give away free tickets.  that stuff is all inflated.

NYCSC is supposedly building a stadium but the red bulls built a tiny stadium and it is always empty.

I was discussing in this country as far as MLS attendance.  soccer is more popular than ever in the US but it's still not popular.

they play in larger stadiums and give away free tickets.  that stuff is all inflated.

NYCSC is supposedly building a stadium but the red bulls built a tiny stadium and it is always empty.

I was discussing in this country as far as MLS attendance.  soccer is more popular than ever in the US but it's still not popular.

They play/played in larger stadiums because it was easy for stadium owners to bank money while their stadiums sat empty between football seasons.

Red Bulls average 20K.   Not exactly empty.

MLS wants to have soccer specific stadiums.  14 teams do.  Their product looks better in a soccer specific stadium.  As you said, NYCFC looks  bad when a stadium is half empty event though they have one of the highest averages.

They play/played in larger stadiums because it was easy for stadium owners to bank money while their stadiums sat empty between football seasons.

Red Bulls average 20K.   Not exactly empty.

MLS wants to have soccer specific stadiums.  14 teams do.  Their product looks better in a soccer specific stadium.  As you said, NYCFC looks  bad when a stadium is half empty event though they have one of the highest averages.

those are inflated #s, there is no way they average 20k when the stadium only holds about 20k. 

they should have 10-20K seat soccer only stadiums.  NYCSC will have one at some point but half the thrill of watching that team is watching them in Yankee Stadium.

What are you talking about baseball doesn't rely on American kids?  America is still the biggest talent pool even with other countries supplying players.  Soccer is exploding in popularity in this country because the newer generations of kids are being pussified.  Go to a Sounders game in Seattle with 75,000 people at Centurylink Field. 

those are inflated #s, there is no way they average 20k when the stadium only holds about 20k. 

they should have 10-20K seat soccer only stadiums.  NYCSC will have one at some point but half the thrill of watching that team is watching them in Yankee Stadium.

Red Bull Arena sits 25K which is perfect for a soccer stadium.

If the league is averaging 19K, then 20K stadiums should be the starting point.

While I understand your point about Yankee Stadium, it is not even the original stadium.  Plus, it is not designed for a soccer field. 

What are you talking about baseball doesn't rely on American kids?  America is still the biggest talent pool even with other countries supplying players.  Soccer is exploding in popularity in this country because the newer generations of kids are being pussified.  Go to a Sounders game in Seattle with 75,000 people at Centurylink Field. 

soccer is more popular, it is not "exploding".  MLB is filled w/ foreign players but there will always be a high percentage of Americans.

In Seattle they love soccer for some reason, I don't get it.  they also love it in Portland, it must be a NW thing.

Red Bull Arena sits 25K which is perfect for a soccer stadium.

If the league is averaging 19K, then 20K stadiums should be the starting point.

While I understand your point about Yankee Stadium, it is not even the original stadium.  Plus, it is not designed for a soccer field. 

I understsnd that but seeing another sport in yankee Stadium is interesting to people.

20-25 K should be tops for MOST teams, some places like Seattle can support more but most need stadiums w/ the capacity of Arenas.

baseball isn't going anywhere, football isn't going anywhere.  until our best athletes play soccer it won't even be in the discussion w/ the major sports. 

Archived