Tannenbaum

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

I don't believe this to be true at all. 

we are allowed to disagree.  Rex had 1-2 mediocre/bad seasons.  Other than that he did a great job here.  2011 he lost the team a little and last year he had no shot but in 2012 w/ little talent he had us in the race in dec and in 2013 w/ rookie geno and little talent he had us at 8-8.  last year was a disaster but we had no corners, do we see the difference in the secondary this year?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, who is this? Honest question. Sperm? Shane? Reveal yourself.

Nah man, he's been around for ages. I vividly remember him for casting how we'd rue the day we let Herm Edwards go. He's got a thing for ex girlfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are allowed to disagree.  Rex had 1-2 mediocre/bad seasons.  Other than that he did a great job here.  2011 he lost the team a little and last year he had no shot but in 2012 w/ little talent he had us in the race in dec and in 2013 w/ rookie geno and little talent he had us at 8-8.  last year was a disaster but we had no corners, do we see the difference in the secondary this year?

of course we can disagree, that is why we are here right? I thought 2011 through 2014 was absolutely horrid. I think the fact that Rex had a huge hand in the personnel that were on all of those teams contributes to that. Not only did he help pick most of them, but he also developed (or in his case, did not develop) them. 2013 was so deceiving in the 8-8 record. They had a point differential that was much closer to a 4-12 team than an 8-8 team. The schedule and some freak plays contributed to that. Then, Rex rallied the troops in garbage time with his woe is me, I am going to be fired routine. 11-14 are probably the darkest years of Jets football for me ever, even worse than the Kotite years.

of course we can disagree, that is why we are here right? I thought 2011 through 2014 was absolutely horrid. I think the fact that Rex had a huge hand in the personnel that were on all of those teams contributes to that. Not only did he help pick most of them, but he also developed (or in his case, did not develop) them. 2013 was so deceiving in the 8-8 record. They had a point differential that was much closer to a 4-12 team than an 8-8 team. The schedule and some freak plays contributed to that. Then, Rex rallied the troops in garbage time with his woe is me, I am going to be fired routine. 11-14 are probably the darkest years of Jets football for me ever, even worse than the Kotite years.

Rex was not the GM, some mistakes were certainly made but we watched Tannenbaum build a contender then the second we weren't he was gone. 

'11-'14 are nowhere near close to 1987-1996 or for older fans I would assume the 70s were much worse.

According to nyjunc everyone who used to be a Jet is awesome.  Chad Pennington, awesome.  Mark Sanchez, awesome.  Mike Tannenbaum, awesome.  Rex Ryan, awesome.  I mean, he has a point.  Just look at all the trophies those guys won us. 

all helped us reach and win a lot of playoff games.  Look at our history pre those guys;

1960-2001(42 seasons)

6 PO wins(an average of 1 every 7 seasons) in 9 PO apps(1 every 5 seasons)

2002, 2004, 2006(chad healthy seasons), 2009-2013(Rex/sanchez)(7 seasons total)

6 PO wins(almost 1 per season), 5 PO apps(almost 1 per season)

you can see why I think highly of those guys, right? but let's bash them all and pretend they never did anything to help our team and let's heap all the praise on folks that haven't done anything for us.

for me they were worse, been a fan since the late 70's. 70's I was too young and naive to understand how bad it was. 87-96 was really bad, but it was so bad that I accepted it. 11-14 the majority of the fan base was in sever denial about just how bad Rex really was, supporting the destruction of the Jets.

for me they were worse, been a fan since the late 70's. 70's I was too young and naive to understand how bad it was. 87-96 was really bad, but it was so bad that I accepted it. 11-14 the majority of the fan base was in sever denial about just how bad Rex really was, supporting the destruction of the Jets.

nothing was worse than the 90s pre Parcells and I go back to the early 80s.  the last few years sucked but we were just coming off title game apps so we had something to look back at fondly whereas in the 90s we had nothing to look back and we were worse in the present.

nothing was worse than the 90s pre Parcells and I go back to the early 80s.  the last few years sucked but we were just coming off title game apps so we had something to look back at fondly whereas in the 90s we had nothing to look back and we were worse in the present.

from a results perspective, I completely agree. I am really just speaking about my feelings towards the team in the respective time periods. Had Rex AND Idzick not been fired, I was very close to not being able to root for the Jets anymore. I never got to that point in any of my other almost 40 years of watching the Jets. 

Well I got back to the beginning of the franchise in 1960 and the 70's were the worst plus Weeb had 3 winning seasons in 11 years and those were in the 60's.. The only good HC in the 70's was Walt Michael's and he didn't have a winning season till year 5 and that was 81..

tannenbaum gambled and lost, he traded away valuable picks thinking we could win it all. Idzik actually set the jets up for a decent rebuild although we basically tanked last season

Idzik blew a HUGE draft, stockpiled picks and the majority aren't on the team a year later in a great draft.  he was saving money for a future he never got to oversee but he made easy decisions in his time here.  he sabotaged Rex w/ last offseason.

Well I got back to the beginning of the franchise in 1960 and the 70's were the worst plus Weeb had 3 winning seasons in 11 years and those were in the 60's.. The only good HC in the 70's was Walt Michael's and he didn't have a winning season till year 5 and that was 81..

I assumed the going 0 for the 70s in getting to the playoffs would be the worst era.  I was a baby so I didn't get a chance to watch those years.

I don't know that to be true but if true we should have cleaned house or let Rex be the GM or hire the GM.  It made no sense to bring in a new GM w/ rex still here. 

Rex was good enough, the GM wasn't.

On the one hand, there's some logic to making Rex the GM, or letting Rex hire a personnel guy to build the team Rex wanted it built. If the owner was so enamoured with Rex, that was probably the way to go. The problem with that, of course, is that Rex sucks at personnel. He's too loyal to his own favorites, and falls in love with guys who beat his defense the year before. He's not a college scout, and should be directed away from the draft war room. 

So on the other hand then, bringing in a new GM while Rex was here did make sense. Because Rex sucks at personnel. There was also some feeling that Rex would've been better served working as part of a more structured administration, rather than being in charge of the whole thing. Coupled with a strong GM, Rex could have better success. Problem was, they replaced one accountant with a worse one. And he and his new boss were clearly not on the same page. It was a recipe for disaster, and a disaster is exactly what they cooked up. 

I still thought option #2 was better for Rex with the right GM, and that maybe Whaley would be that guy for him, but he seems to be overrunning that organization to his own detriment. 

yep, running off a good coach should always be appreciated but the coach and Gms that help us win should be bashed:rolleyes:

If he ran off a good coach, it certainly would not have been appreciated, but lets at least be honest here, if Rex were not forced on a GM, Idzik never in a million years would have been hired. He was the only candidate who would even take the job with Rex as a condition.

On the one hand, there's some logic to making Rex the GM, or letting Rex hire a personnel guy to build the team Rex wanted it built. If the owner was so enamoured with Rex, that was probably the way to go. The problem with that, of course, is that Rex sucks at personnel. He's too loyal to his own favorites, and falls in love with guys who beat his defense the year before. He's not a college scout, and should be directed away from the draft war room. 

So on the other hand then, bringing in a new GM while Rex was here did make sense. Because Rex sucks at personnel. There was also some feeling that Rex would've been better served working as part of a more structured administration, rather than being in charge of the whole thing. Coupled with a strong GM, Rex could have better success. Problem was, they replaced one accountant with a worse one. And he and his new boss were clearly not on the same page. It was a recipe for disaster, and a disaster is exactly what they cooked up. 

I still thought option #2 was better for Rex with the right GM, and that maybe Whaley would be that guy for him, but he seems to be overrunning that organization to his own detriment. 

I wouldn't make Rex the GM just saying that rather than bring in some random guy w/ no experience and try to make him fit w/ rex it would have been better for either Rex to pick or him to take over.  None of those scenarios make a ton of sense but probably better than what happened w/ Idzik,

If he ran off a good coach, it certainly would not have been appreciated, but lets at least be honest here, if Rex were not forced on a GM, Idzik never in a million years would have been hired. He was the only candidate who would even take the job with Rex as a condition.

Rex is a good coach no matter what bitter fans want to say.  Idzik ran him off as he did Sanchez and others.  it's why Idzik will never be a GM again.

Rex is a good coach no matter what bitter fans want to say.  Idzik ran him off as he did Sanchez and others.  it's why Idzik will never be a GM again.

your entitled to your opinion, no matter how strongly I disagree. Thing is, Rex really was the one who absolutely destroyed Sanchez. Rex was the absolute worst scenario for Sanchez. Sanchez was an immature kid, and acted like a spoiled brat, and Rex never corrected it, and worse yucked it up with him. To make matters far worse, after the 2010 season where I thought Sanchez showed some real potential to grow, Rex decided to let the OL go to crap, and the WR's run, so he could make a run at Namdi. The reality is that Rex supporters just don't get, Rex cared more about the perception of his defense, and his ability to coach a defense, than he did anything else. Sanchez bailed out that defense numerous times in 2010, and I don't think Rex liked that, and wanted to make sure that would not happen again in 2011. If you understand that up to that point, Rex was the one making the calls, you realize that Rex destroyed Sanchez. After 2011, he completed the destruction of Sanchez by hiring one of the worst OC's in the history of OC's.

This is all fine in a vacuum, but it seems unlikely that any owner would bring in a GM for the express purpose of reining in Rex, given that he's secured not one but two different head coaching positions by hard-selling clueless rich dorks on his football acumen.

Idzik blew a HUGE draft, stockpiled picks and the majority aren't on the team a year later in a great draft.  he was saving money for a future he never got to oversee but he made easy decisions in his time here.  he sabotaged Rex w/ last offseason.

I assumed the going 0 for the 70s in getting to the playoffs would be the worst era.  I was a baby so I didn't get a chance to watch those years.

Not spending money was an easy thing to do but also a necessary thing to do after overspending in years past. Not spending money at glaring holes that felt like the team was purposefully tanked last year even makes sense if Idzik could take all that cap space and start building a winning team out of it. That's still an easy thing to do. These were the things that virtually anybody could have and would have done in the same situation.

The key to that kind of developmental plan is taking advantage of the drafting and that's where Idzik blew it big time. If his drafting had been better then he'd still be with us but if you're so wrong on talent evaluation that you have that bad of a draft then you shouldn't be trusted to sign contracts on vet players. He failed with near perfection at the difficult decisions. What's most sad about Idzik is that he was in such an easy position. Nobody in a decision-making position failed to understand we were going to have to trim spending to rebuild cap space and that would mean a bad year or two. Fans hated it but from a management perspective it was necessary.

Not spending money was an easy thing to do but also a necessary thing to do after overspending in years past. Not spending money at glaring holes that felt like the team was purposefully tanked last year even makes sense if Idzik could take all that cap space and start building a winning team out of it. That's still an easy thing to do. These were the things that virtually anybody could have and would have done in the same situation.

The key to that kind of developmental plan is taking advantage of the drafting and that's where Idzik blew it big time. If his drafting had been better then he'd still be with us but if you're so wrong on talent evaluation that you have that bad of a draft then you shouldn't be trusted to sign contracts on vet players. He failed with near perfection at the difficult decisions. What's most sad about Idzik is that he was in such an easy position. Nobody in a decision-making position failed to understand we were going to have to trim spending to rebuild cap space and that would mean a bad year or two. Fans hated it but from a management perspective it was necessary.

the spending thing(or lack of) didn't bother me that much but when you put everything into that 2014 draft and come up w/ an awful draft that will kill you.  I think he was saving the cap space for this offseason but his awful draft of last year cost him his job.

your entitled to your opinion, no matter how strongly I disagree. Thing is, Rex really was the one who absolutely destroyed Sanchez. Rex was the absolute worst scenario for Sanchez. Sanchez was an immature kid, and acted like a spoiled brat, and Rex never corrected it, and worse yucked it up with him. To make matters far worse, after the 2010 season where I thought Sanchez showed some real potential to grow, Rex decided to let the OL go to crap, and the WR's run, so he could make a run at Namdi. The reality is that Rex supporters just don't get, Rex cared more about the perception of his defense, and his ability to coach a defense, than he did anything else. Sanchez bailed out that defense numerous times in 2010, and I don't think Rex liked that, and wanted to make sure that would not happen again in 2011. If you understand that up to that point, Rex was the one making the calls, you realize that Rex destroyed Sanchez. After 2011, he completed the destruction of Sanchez by hiring one of the worst OC's in the history of OC's.

He hated Sanchez so much.. What tattoo number did he have again??

rex-ryan-tattoo-Meet_The_Matts-350x243.j

This is all fine in a vacuum, but it seems unlikely that any owner would bring in a GM for the express purpose of reining in Rex, given that he's secured not one but two different head coaching positions by hard-selling clueless rich dorks on his football acumen.

Isn't that exactly what Woody tried to do with Idzik? I mean, yeah, it was obviously a stunning failure, but that's what it looked like ex they were trying to do to me. 

Isn't that exactly what Woody tried to do with Idzik? I mean, yeah, it was obviously a stunning failure, but that's what it looked like ex they were trying to do to me. 

Didn't Woody use some research company to find Idzik?? Rex and Tanny should have gone together but since in the end we got Mac and Bowles I'm happy.. 

This is a little nitpicky, but I don't think Idzik was here to rein in Rex, exactly. I think the only thing Woody had any conviction about was keeping Rex as HC, so the GM became sort of incidental. And as it happened Idzik was the only guy willing to take the job anyway.

he had a good run but it was time for a change. After watching last week's jets/bills games Bowles is a breath of fresh air. As for idzik I'm just glad he was able to turn Revis  into Richardson and leave us enough cap space to bring him back this year

he had a good run but it was time for a change. After watching last week's jets/bills games Bowles is a breath of fresh air. As for idzik I'm just glad he was able to turn Revis  into Richardson and leave us enough cap space to bring him back this year

I don't disagree that it was time for a change but rex's teams are being bashed for penalties but we are getting a million too.  it's what aggressive teams do.

Archived