Jets Don’t Miss a Beat With Winters at Guard

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Admit it Jets fans, when you heard the news about starting right guard Willie Colon’s pending absence last week and that his replacement was Brian Winters, you weren’t thrilled.  When you realized Winters would be lining up against All-World defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, you felt even worse. As it turned […]

Click here to read the full story...

By Glenn Naughton   Admit it Jets fans, when you heard the news about starting right guard Willie Colon’s pending absence last week and that his replacement was Brian Winters, you weren’t thrilled.  When you realized Winters would be lining up against All-World defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, you felt even worse. As it turned […]

Click here to read the full story...

You can put me on record for saying Winters was going to handle Suh just fine... Ok I can't even type that with a straight face. I thought for sure we were going to hear Winters and Suh's name all game long. Thankfully you didn't hear either of theirs, which is a beautiful thing. 

Suh was trying to get his coach fired. I wouldn't put too much stock in Winters yet. 

Based on how bad  he's been I ge the skepticism, but he also had several plays in which he was lined up on Mosely and did a nice job of peeling off to pick up blitzing DB's and/or stunting linemen or linebackers.  It could all amount to nothing in the end (I'm sure many of us remember Vlad having a good game vs. Wilfork and the Pats once) but it was a nice step in the right direction.

Curious to see how he graded out on PFF but access to my account is restricted from England...must have to do with paying the US rate vs. UK rate while in England.

Based on how bad  he's been I ge the skepticism, but he also had several plays in which he was lined up on Mosely and did a nice job of peeling off to pick up blitzing DB's and/or stunting linemen or linebackers.  It could all amount to nothing in the end (I'm sure many of us remember Vlad having a good game vs. Wilfork and the Pats once) but it was a nice step in the right direction.

Curious to see how he graded out on PFF but access to my account is restricted from England...must have to do with paying the US rate vs. UK rate while in England.

Exactly. Truth is I'm not even sure what that guy is made of. I liked him coming out then he improved throughout his rookie season, then looked like someone who could potentially get cut. 

I'm happy he played well and it sure as hell beats making excuses for him on why he got dominated by Suh. I just hope it keeps up. If he could turn out to be a legit player that would be bonus for sure. 

Let's hope it's just another player coming into their own after getting experience. While it would be nice that every player we pick in the draft becomes an all pro in their 1st year, for most players it takes time to acclimate to the step up in talent they compete against in the NFL. This is the BIG BOY league. 

NYJ-MIA GRADES: CHRIS IVORY LEADS JETS’ OFFENSE

The top takeaways from Sunday’s NYJ-MIA game in London, including the highest graded players from each team.

BEN STOCKWELL | 3 DAYS AGO
(AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

(AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

Here are the top takeaways and highest-graded players from the Jets-Dolphins game:

Miami Dolphins

– Slumping to their third straight defeat, the Miami Dolphins and star signing Ndamukong Suh (+0.4) continue to confound and frustrate with inconsistent and disappointing performances. Suh impressed on a pair of plays, splitting Nick Mangold (-3.7) and Breno Giacomini (-0.5) to take power runs away behind the line of scrimmage. Still, he shares some culpability for the Dolphins being gutted up the middle too early, too often, allowing the game to get away from Miami.

– This was not a classic game in terms of quarterback performances, with Ryan Tannehill (-3.9) joining his counterpart Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.4) in an ugly game, the two trying to out-do each other for poor accuracy and execution. Tannehill was strong on intermediate passes outside the numbers (four-for-seven, 54 yards, two touchdowns, +1.7 PFF passing grade) but struggled over the middle at the intermediate level, and was customarily unproductive on throws 20+ yards down the field (one-for-seven, 42 yards, one interception, -2.3 PFF passing grade) as he failed to come up with the plays to turn the tide for Miami, even though the Jets never quite put the game out of reach.

– This was a “Jekyll and Hyde” performance from Jarvis Landry, who dropped a pair of passes as a receiver (-2.3), but was his usual elusive self as a return man, racking up 189 return yards on eight kick and punt returns (+3.6). As a return man, Landry forced eight missed tackles to go with his two as a receiver, but a trio of drops over the last two weeks really limits a receiver who makes his living on short passes and needs to snag every catchable pass to maximize his efficiency.

Top performers:

LB Koa Misi (+2.5)

S Reshad Jones (+1.7)

RT Ja’Wuan James (+1.7)

CB Zackary Bowman (+1.6)

LT Jason Fox (+1.4)

New York Jets

– First-round pick Leonard Williams (+8.6) has gradually raised his game over the first three weeks of the season, and put on an absolute show at Wembley Stadium. Williams more than doubled his pass rushing production for the season, racking up 10 pressures (four hits, six hurries) to go with two stops against the run in a dominating performance.

– Keying the offense for the Jets was Chris Ivory, who racked up 110 yards after contact and broke nine Miami tackles en route to a career day. Ivory got yards all across the defensive front, but had particular joy running off of James Carpenter (+3.2), picking up 67 yards on eight carries either side of the Jets’ new left guard.

– As impressive as Ivory and Williams were, the Jets will be thankful that today’s game did not rest on the misfiring arm of Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.4), whose best plays came on scrambles after evading pressure. Fitzpatrick earned a passing grade below -3.5 for the second week in a row, with his downfield passing (after a big completion to Brandon Marshall on the Jets’ first play from scrimmage) particularly problematic.

Top performers:

DE Leonard Williams (+8.6)

HB Chris Ivory (+5.2)

LG James Carpenter (+3.2)

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (+2.7)

ILB Demario Davis (+1.2)

Archived