Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

This story is perfect to start the new season's thread for the New York Knicks, their very own Jason Kidd/Jimmy Jackson/Toni Braxton love triangle!

Matt Barnes drove 95 miles to ‘beat the s–t’ out of Derek Fisher

fishbarnes.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Knicks coach Derek Fisher was attacked in Los Angeles by NBA bad boy Matt Barnes, who drove 95 miles to “beat the s—t out of him” when he found out Fisher was romancing his estranged wife, sources told The Post on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-7 Barnes, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, made a fast break from his team’s California training camp Saturday when he was tipped off that Fisher was making time with sultry “Basketball Wives LA” star Gloria Govan in the home Barnes once shared with her.

The NBA is investigating the brawl.

Sources told The Post that Barnes became incensed when his 6-year-old twin sons, Carter and Isaiah, called to tell him that Fisher was at the house.

“Barnes went crazy. He got in his car and went to the house and went after Fisher,” one source said. “Matt then drove down there to beat the s–t out of him.”

Fisher and Barnes were teammates on the LA Lakers for two seasons.

Barnes — a forward who’s known as an “enforcer” for his aggressive style of play — found Fisher, Govan and about 10 other people around a bonfire in the back yard, sources said.

A fight erupted at 11:45 p.m. between the 235-pound Barnes and the 6-1, 200-pound Fisher. Cops were called, but Fisher left before they arrived, the sources said.

Following the dustup, Barnes, 35, texted a pal that he had not only assaulted Fisher, 41, but also took revenge on Govan, one source said.

“I kicked his ass from the back yard to the front room, and spit in her face,” the text read, according to the source.

A source close to Fisher confirmed the fight, but insisted it wasn’t as one-sided as Barnes claimed.

“Matt came after Derek, but he only had a few scratches,” the source said. “Derek’s not going to press charges; he’s going to let it go.”

Fisher, who declined to comment in detail about the dustup, looked no worse for wear before the Knicks’ preseason game against the Brazilian Paschoalotto/Bauru team at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night.

Govan was planning to file a restraining order against Barnes, sources said.

Reps for Barnes and Govan didn’t return requests for comment. The Grizzlies issued a statement saying they were “aware [of] and currently gathering information regarding” The Post’s online exclusive on the incident.

Asked how he felt in the wake of the fight, Fisher said, “My state of mind — like I talked to the guys a few minutes ago — is personal, and private matters are personal and private.

“I’ve been through a lot in life. Sometimes, we go through things we can’t or can control. I’m here. I’m focused. It’s not something that’s going to take me away from what we’re trying to do.”

Fisher refused to say why he missed the team’s practice on Monday, which the Knicks had tweeted was “due to personal reasons.”

LA court records show Barnes filed for divorce in January. In August, he claimed that he had been dating pop star Rihanna and that they’d gone “past the crush stage,” but she denied it on Instagram.

Sources said Fisher began dating Govan, 29, “a few months” ago, and on Sept. 27, a Twitter user with the handle @alexiss_henry tweeted: “I spy Derek Fisher with Matt Barnes’ kids.”

In March, Fisher filed for divorce from his wife, Candace, a month after their 10th anniversary.

Candace, who has twin sons with the coach, responded with court papers saying she was “blindsided” by the move and discovered he had secretly moved his stuff out of their New York apartment when she went to check on it, according to TMZ.

Saturday’s altercation wasn’t the first time Barnes has flashed rage.

In 2012, he was arrested for allegedly threatening a California cop who recognized him for an outstanding warrant for driving with a suspended license.

He was also arrested in 2010 on suspicion of felony domestic violence against Govan, who was his fiancée at the time.

She denied he had abused her during a fight at their home, and the charge was later dropped.

Earlier this year, the NBA fined Barnes $50,000 for directing “inappropriate language at a fan” who was seated courtside during a May 1 playoff game — and who turned out to be the mom of Houston guard James Harden.

The NBA didn’t detail the trash talk, but reports on Twitter claimed that Barnes, who later apologized, said, “Suck my d- -k, bitch.”

Barnes was also fined $25,000 in January for kicking water and cursing at a fan in Washington.

Later that month, he was fined another $25,000 for swearing at Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver, who Barnes later said “cussed at me” first.

Barnes met Govan when she was 12, and they started dating in 2006, when he played for the Golden State Warriors. The couple married in 2012.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/07/matt-barnes-attacks-knicks-coach-fisher-for-dating-ex-wife/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so much win in this story.  Barnes drove two hours to beat someone's ass.  How do you stay angry that long?  Is it California traffic?

Fisher goes to see his kids, but ends up in his chick's house for a "bonfire", then misses practice because he got his ass beat?

As to the team, I think they'll be better than 30 wins the bookies are predicting mainly because the East still stinks and the Knicks have some professional players on the team.

O'Quinn looks good.

That Barnes-Fisher story is so bizarre--but so Knicks. It really puts things in perspective and makes me appreciate the times when the team makes headlines for poor play. 

chjkyukufrejz9se77vo.gif

I love this gif,  His teammates reactions are priceless. 

PG: Grant

SG: Affalo

SF: Anthony

PF: o'quinn

C: lopez

Bench: Porzingis, Galloway

I like that starting 5, but I don't know if Affalo will be healthy.  These preseason hamstring injuries linger.

• 2 weeks later...

The benefit of the Mets in the WS is that the Knicks opening night gets overshadowed so if Knicks lose it will get overlooked and if they win its a nice little story.

Defense will be the key to the season success as well as determining whether Fisher can coach.  The default is letting KP and Grant grow, but I'm hoping for a playoff spot so we can put the Bargnani trade debacle behind us.  Still cannot fathom the rationale of that trade.  Why trade a 1st rounder for a draft bust?

The benefit of the Mets in the WS is that the Knicks opening night gets overshadowed so if Knicks lose it will get overlooked and if they win its a nice little story.

Defense will be the key to the season success as well as determining whether Fisher can coach.  The default is letting KP and Grant grow, but I'm hoping for a playoff spot so we can put the Bargnani trade debacle behind us.  Still cannot fathom the rationale of that trade.  Why trade a 1st rounder for a draft bust?

Because Dolan owed CAA a favor most likely.

As a fan it's liberating, I'm just worried I'm going to go into full depression when we're in the dead of winter and I'm stuck watching Sasha Vujacic dishing to Krackerjack Papongis as I count the days until Spring Training.

Knicks have looked straight out DOMINANT tonight against the Bucks. Is Milwaukee that bad? 

Our bench is solid. Love O'Quinn's dirty work. Williams looks like he may come into his own as the 6th man scorer off the bench. 

Its just SO DAMN GRATIFYING to see the Knicks play defense and have easy transition pints off it. 

Porzingis needs to gain strength yesterday but he'll come along nicely and KIL teams at the free throw line.

Lopez will Fortify the paint and brings a nice old school classic LowPost Center dimension the team's offens. 

I really like this '15-'16 Knicks team from what I've seen in this season opener. Let's see if thy can keep it up all season, but they are NOT PAINFUL to watch. Finally. 

Good win tonight.  Williams and O'Quinn were great.  KP had an excellent start as well, contributing on the boards and hitting at the FT line although he did not shoot well.  His size is a problem for opponents.  It didn't show up in stat sheet but he altered a lot of shots.

wtf is up with the thread title ?  that story had no legs

anyway, I didn't get to see a lot of the game, but I like O'Quinn's game a lot. 

KP looked like a young nervous kid.  At times his frame is so galdanged long things happen too fast for him.  I don't really like his stroke, he seemed to be rushing it.  He is a better athlete than what the experts were saying and I think the skinny thing is overblown.  I can already see a difference in his arms.  his delts are tiny, but I struggled with that as well until I was older than he is. 

are the bucks that bad or can I be excited ?

Yeah, Williams had a big night.  He was a beast in transition and scoring on  broken plays.

I saw the whole game and the Knicks were tentative in beginning mainly because Melo's and KP's early bad shooting but the bench hand a 15-0 run to burry the Bucks.

Larz, Bucks were a playoff team.  The Knicks have depth.

Knicks have looked straight out DOMINANT tonight against the Bucks. Is Milwaukee that bad? 

Our bench is solid. Love O'Quinn's dirty work. Williams looks like he may come into his own as the 6th man scorer off the bench. 

Its just SO DAMN GRATIFYING to see the Knicks play defense and have easy transition pints off it. 

Porzingis needs to gain strength yesterday but he'll come along nicely and KIL teams at the free throw line.

Lopez will Fortify the paint and brings a nice old school classic LowPost Center dimension the team's offens. 

I really like this '15-'16 Knicks team from what I've seen in this season opener. Let's see if thy can keep it up all season, but they are NOT PAINFUL to watch. Finally. 

it's just one game but Phil had a good offseason even sworn knick haters in the media like Charles Barkley publicly said so.

Archived