This year's defense vs. Ryan's defense

bostonmajet

I thought it was about Rex here vs Bowles.  Thought the topic was his approach, where he fails.  And how Bowles approach is different.  Has little to do with Bowles and the Jets fair against Brady or Eli compared to Rex and his Bills vs the same teams.  

What's really funny is some what to compare Rex and what he had to work with last year to what Bowles has this year 50 million dollars later.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's really funny is some what to compare Rex and what he had to work with last year to what Bowles has this year 50 million dollars later.. :rolleyes:

Look I agree it was time for Rex to go.  But instead of just leaving it at that, admitting to the obvious that he coached some really good defenses here we get nonsense about how he sucked, his defenses never played the pass etc.  He's a really, really good defensive coordinator who when given the horses in Baltimore and in NY he put dominating defenses on the field.  Period, its not debatable.  

Look I agree it was time for Rex to go.  But instead of just leaving it at that, admitting to the obvious that he coached some really good defenses here we get nonsense about how he sucked, his defenses never played the pass etc.  He's a really, really good defensive coordinator who when given the horses in Baltimore and in NY he put dominating defenses on the field.  Period, its not debatable.  

It was time for Rex to go when Tanny got canned having him stay a extra 2 years was a waste of time.. I look at what he did as a fun time for a couple of years and now I'm 100% behind Bowles who seems to be a great leader and complete HC.. I know I shouldn't expect fans to make fair evaluations or think they will give any credit to a guy them seem to hate..:rolleyes:

It was time for Rex to go when Tanny got canned having him stay a extra 2 years was a waste of time.. I look at what he did as a fun time for a couple of years and now I'm 100% behind Bowles who seems to be a great leader and complete HC.. I know I shouldn't expect fans to make fair evaluations or think they will give any credit to a guy them seem to hate..:rolleyes:

Agree.  I know fans will go into instant hate mode at some point, its what some feel the need to do.  

Its really time to move on and perfectly normal to want to kick his Bills team to the curb.  To trash them for their play whenever the screw up this year.  

I think we really got lucky with Bowles, seems to get it on every aspect of running a team.  Which I where we've failed with Groh on to Rex.  None of the group were as complete as Bowles in their approach as ready to be a complete coach as Bowles seems to be.  Along with the disposition that seems to get the total respect of his players and gets them totally behind him.  I keep saying it but I hope we have that HC who you don't think about, you just know you're OK in that regard.  A Tomlin, Cowher, Belli type who you are cool with, aren't looking to replace

In this article,  it shows that the Bills' defense was not that much better last year after 4 games than the first 4 games in 2015.   Let's give it a chance

Why Rex Ryan's Buffalo Bills defense isn't 'underwhelming' the way some think

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/why_rex_ryans_buffalo_bills_defense_isnt_underwhelming_the_way_some_think.html?hootPostID=ecdad52b3b0473bfdbb33fa02ca986ac

Agree.  I know fans will go into instant hate mode at some point, its what some feel the need to do.  

Its really time to move on and perfectly normal to want to kick his Bills team to the curb.  To trash them for their play whenever the screw up this year.  

I think we really got lucky with Bowles, seems to get it on every aspect of running a team.  Which I where we've failed with Groh on to Rex.  None of the group were as complete as Bowles in their approach as ready to be a complete coach as Bowles seems to be.  Along with the disposition that seems to get the total respect of his players and gets them totally behind him.  I keep saying it but I hope we have that HC who you don't think about, you just know you're OK in that regard.  A Tomlin, Cowher, Belli type who you are cool with, aren't looking to replace

Sorry I don't put Tomlin in with Cowher and BB he was left a Bowl ready team.. Look how dumb Pitt played against the Ravens with Big Ben out.. Imagine the grief Rex would get if he stood by the sideline in order to impede a opposing player running toward the end zone.. Whats next Geno in the same league with Brady and Manning??LOL

Sorry I don't put Tomlin in with Cowher and BB he was left a Bowl ready team.. Look how dumb Pitt played against the Ravens with Big Ben out.. Imagine the grief Rex would get if he stood by the sideline in order to impede a opposing player running toward the end zone.. Whats next Geno in the same league with Brady and Manning??LOL

I do.  Hes not going anywhere, does a real good job.  I think hes right up with Cowher.  No one thought Cowher was all that great when he kept doing Shotty Sr and losing AFCCGs all the time.  Not saying they're great HCs, just you know what you have and they aren't getting fired.  Every HC has a bad game and lots of times we don't know why they coached a particular game the way they did.  I was shocked they were even in that game with a garbage QB like Vick.  

I think you'd fid that most players think Tomlin is right up at the top of the HC list.  Don't think you'd find many that think Geno is up there with Brady or Manning.

I do.  Hes not going anywhere, does a real good job.  I think hes right up with Cowher.  No one thought Cowher was all that great when he kept doing Shotty Sr and losing AFCCGs all the time.  Not saying they're great HCs, just you know what you have and they aren't getting fired.  Every HC has a bad game and lots of times we don't know why they coached a particular game the way they did.  I was shocked they were even in that game with a garbage QB like Vick.  

I think you'd fid that most players think Tomlin is right up at the top of the HC list.  Don't think you'd find many that think Geno is up there with Brady or Manning.

They would probably think the same about Hermie I would bet..

You're not getting it.  Didnt bring him up as a comparison other than hes real good and isnt getting fired and you don't go into a season complaining about your HC.

You can also keep saying sorry but the guy has won in the SB, consistently has a team that contends.  Hes a good HC

You're not getting it.  Didnt bring him up as a comparison other than hes real good and isnt getting fired and you don't go into a season complaining about your HC.

You can also keep saying sorry but the guy has won in the SB, consistently has a team that contends.  Hes a good HC

You know who the HC in 49'er history with the most wins is?? 

You know how little it has to do with whether Tomlin is a good HC or not?

Simple the 49'ers HC answer is George Seifert who had a Bowl team left to him.. When he was with the Panthers he was fired after year 3.. Does Tomlin win a bowl with Sanchez or Geno??

Simple the 49'ers HC answer is George Seifert who had a Bowl team left to him.. When he was with the Panthers he was fired after year 3.. Does Tomlin win a bowl with Sanchez or Geno??

Good, who else can you bring into it?  I knew the answer but it has nothing to do with the argument.  Whats the difference whether Seifert was good or not?  Just like Herm had nothing to do with the argument.  And now Geno and Sanchez have nothing to do with whether Tomlin is a good HC or not.  None of the SB winning coach in the history of the NFL would have won a SB with Geno or Sanchez.  So whats your point here?  Just like Cowher couldn't win a SB with Cordell, Tomczak or Maddox.  So, he's still a really good HC.  

Hey, rack your brain out and kill almost every HC who has ever won a SB because 90+% won with a great QB and didnt win when they didnt.  Does Lombardi win without Star?  Weeb without Joe?  Landry without his QBs?  Chuck Noll without Bradshaw?  Bellichick without Brady?  On and on. 

Tomlin has been around 8 years, is in his 9th season.  Hes 84 and 48, a .636 winning percentage.  AFC champs twice and a SB winner.  5 of 8 seasons in the playoffs and he hasn't had great talent every year.  You can argue all you want he isn't that good.  

Good, who else can you bring into it?  I know the answer and it has nothing to do with the argument.  Whats the difference whether Seifert is good or not?  Just like Herm had nothing to do with the argument.  And now Geno and Sanchez have nothing to do with whether Tomlin is a good HC or not.  None of the SB winning coach in the history of the NFL would have won a SB with Geno or Sanchez.  So whats your point here?  Just like Cowher couldn't win a SB with Cordell, Tomczak or Maddox.  So, he's still a really good HC.  

Hey, rack your brain out and kill almost every HC.  Does Lombardi win without Star?  Weeb without Joe?  Landry without his QBs?  Chuck without a QB?  Bellichick without Brady?  On and on. 

Tomlin has been around 8 years, is in his 9th season.  Hes 84 and 48, a .636 winning percentage.  AFC champs twice and a SB winner.  5 of 8 seasons in the playoffs and he hasn't had great talent every year.  You can argue all you want he isn't that good.  

My point has been would Tomlin been as good if a  Bowl winning QB hadn't been there already.. You seem to think he would be and I disagree.:)

My point has been would Tomlin been as good if a  Bowl winning QB hadn't been there already.. You seem to think he would be and I disagree.:)

We're way off the point that I hope Bowles is one of those HCs that you know is good and youre not needing to replace.  No find where I said anything other than hes a good HC? The QB is nonsense, I asked, which HCing great whos won hasn't won without a great QB?  Very, very few have.  So don't get how that even comes into play.  

You said Tomlin is no Cowher.  Would Cowher be any good if he didn't have the same QB that youre ready to penalize Tomlin for winning with?  And while a great QB seems to be a requirement to win given how few teams win without one, its no given that if you have a great QB you will win a SB.  Shula won multiple SBs with a game manager and couldnt win with one of, if not the, greatest passer of all time.  

We're way off the point that I hope Bowles is one of those HCs that you know is good and youre not needing to replace.  No find where I said anything other than hes a good HC? The QB is nonsense, I asked, which HCing great whos won hasn't won without a great QB?  Very, very few have.  So don't get how that even comes into play.  

You said Tomlin is no Cowher.  Would Cowher be any good if he didn't have the same QB that youre ready to penalize Tomlin for winning with?  And while a great QB seems to be a requirement to win given how few teams win without one, its no given that if you have a great QB you will win a SB.  Shula won multiple SBs with a game manager and couldnt win with one of, if not the, greatest passer of all time.  

Cowher did pretty good with Neil O'Donnell,Mike Tomczak,Tommy Maddox and Kordell Steward none of which were that good.. The game manager that Shula won Bowls with is in the HOF.. 

Cowher did pretty good with Neil O'Donnell,Mike Tomczak,Tommy Maddox and Kordell Steward none of which were that good.. The game manager that Shula won Bowls with is in the HOF.. 

Griese was a game manager.  He never threw for more than 2400 yards in a season.  Who cares that hes in the HOF, hes a HOF game manager.  Point was that he didn't win with a far better QB.  

Back to Cowher, he never won a SB with any of those QBs.  Thought that was the point.  That you brought up, not me.  But won with Ben.  But not winning with the others and winning with Ben is good for Cowher and winning with the same QB is a negative for Tomlin?  Not getting that.  

And again, nothing Cowher did or didnt do changes whether Tomlin is one of the better HCs today.  Is your point that Tomlin isnt good, isnt one of the top NFL HCs today?  I hope not.

Griese was a game manager.  He never threw for more than 2400 yards in a season.  Who cares that hes in the HOF, hes a HOF game manager.  Point was that he didn't win with a far better QB.  

Back to Cowher, he never won a SB with any of those QBs.  Thought that was the point.  That you brought up, not me.  But won with Ben.  But not winning with the others and winning with Ben is good for Cowher and winning with the same QB is a negative for Tomlin?  Not getting that.  

And again, nothing Cowher did or didnt do changes whether Tomlin is one of the better HCs today.  Is your point that Tomlin isnt good, isnt one of the top NFL HCs today?  I hope not.

Ben was left for Tomlin like just Montana and Young were left for Seifert..According to you it was Tomlin's greatness as a HC that led them to another Bowl win not the fact that the Steelers won the Bowl 2 years before with the team that was in place.. I'm done Tomlin HOF first ballot HC.. BTW Remember when the Cowboys won a bowl with Barry Switzer?? That was all him not the team that Jimmy Johnson left him..:rolleyes:

Ben was left for Tomlin like just Montana and Young were left for Seifert..According to you it was Tomlin's greatness as a HC that led them to another Bowl win not the fact that the Steelers won the Bowl 2 years before with the team that was in place.. I'm done Tomlin HOF first ballot HC.. BTW Remember when the Cowboys won a bowl with Barry Switzer?? That was all him not the team that Jimmy Johnson left him..:rolleyes:

Who cares?  Cowher wasnt a GM.  He left nothing to Tomlin, their GM gave Tomlin the players just as he gave them to Cowher.  So its a great HC who takes players the GM gives him but 2 years later the GM gives another HC players and its a gift, takes away from his coaching abilities?  You really need to think this one through, youre not making any sense other than you don't like Tomlin and keep ignoring the point.  Are you bored today?

How about I make it simple, you think Tomlin isn't a good coach?  

And now Switzer?  How many other people can you bring into a post I wrote about HCs today? Whats it up to with Switzer, Seifert and a handful of QBs all who have nothing to do with my point that I want a HC who you dont' have to want to replace.  Why cant you stay on point?????:wacko:

I don't want to start another Rex thread, but I thought it is interesting to contrast this year's defense vs. the defenses Rex used to field.

I realize that we are only 4 game into the season, and that the secondary has been drastically upgraded, but at one point Ryan had younger Revis and Cro.  Either way, some interesting points.

The Jets defenses were good, often in the top 5 under Ryan, but a closer look at the numbers shows a different story.  The Jets are currently ranked 3rd, but look where the yards are.  They are 2 in passing and and 12th against the run.  In the past, we would dominate against the run, but be in the 20s against the pass.  Take a look at Buffalos current numbers, overall in the 20s, 29th against the pass, but 3rd against the run.  Sure, buffalo played the Pats and we haven't yet.  Also the season is young and we have maybe the best corners out there.  But, the trends seem to be the same, Rex was strong against the run, but would give up the big play; had trouble getting off the field.  He would blitz in the early downs and play soft on 3rd and in the 4th quarter.

Bowles, however, gets more aggressive as the game and downs go on.  In the 4th quarter he doesn't soften up.  Again, not dissing Ryan as I liked him when he was here, but this defense can be a truly dominant defense.  It still has a way to go, but I love the new philosophy.  Play the run, but in this league you have to stop the pass.  

I was never a fan of the defensive rankings being about yards.  A more telling ranking, IMO is points/game and takeaways.  Currently the Jets are ranked #1 in both.  More importantly, the Jets are averaging 13.8 points to game; #2 is at 17.2; that 3.4 difference may not seem big, but that difference also separates the #2 team from the #11 team.  In short that number is amazing.  We also have the same number of takeaways in 4 games that we had all year.  I think this goes to show the difference in philosophy.  When we have a close game, or a lead, we get even more aggressive on defense.  As the other offense is pressured to score, we get tough and step up.

The season is still young.  I hope this trend continues, but it is nice to have a lead in the 4th quarter and be confident that you can hold the lead.

Not true.  In 2009, the defense gave up 8 TDs to 17 INTs.  They also only gave up 154 yards/game.  That is insane.

Archived