Diminishing role could impact Quinton Coples' future with Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

When the New York Jets return to action next Sunday against the Washington Redskins, one of the players to watch is outside linebacker Quinton Coples, whose role appears to be shrinking.

Yes, Coples made the trip last week to London, although it was sometimes hard to tell during the actual game. He played only 15 of 64 defensive snaps in the win over the Miami Dolphins. Fifteen snaps is a career-low for the former first-round pick.

Todd Bowles cautioned not to read anything into that, noting that Coples was used in the base package."Unfortunately, Miami played a lot of sub-package," the coach said. "[Leger] Douzable went out to play some end and we had some packages for different people, and the package they kept us in just didn’t involve Coples. It had nothing to do with his play or the guys taking his place."

Yes, that's true, the Dolphins played most of the game with three receivers, forcing the Jets to stay in their nickel defense. The question is, why wasn't Coples included in that package? They opted to give more action to rookie Lorenzo Mauldin (20 snaps) than Coples, who's supposed to be a pass-rusher.Coples' playing time is down this season. Through four games, he's at 53 percent of the snaps, down fairly significantly from his 2014 share (68 percent). It's a new coaching staff with a different set of eyes, and they evidently see him more as a first- and second-down base defender than as a pass-rusher. The production hasn't been there; he's still looking for his first sack.

Unfortunately for Coples, the current NFL is played by nickel personnel. Because of wide-open passing attacks, the game is dominated by players who get the quarterback and players who cover receivers. It's why the Jets can justify paying $6.25 million a year to Buster Skrine, their slot corner.This could bite Coples next offseason. The Jets have exercised the fifth-year option for 2016 ($7.8 million), but the salary is guaranteed for injury only as of now. It's not fully guaranteed until next offseason, and that's a lot of money for a pass-rusher who can't get on the field to rush the passer.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54882/diminishing-role-could-impact-quinton-coples-future-with-jets

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think this guy ends up on a 4-3, play his natural position and flourishes.  He's just not playing where he should be and I was really hoping Bowles would change that but he hasnt and I think Coples suffers accordingly.  When he gets to put his hand in the dirt, he's a beast...but he rarely gets to do it for some reason. 

I still think this guy ends up on a 4-3, play his natural position and flourishes.  He's just not playing where he should be and I was really hoping Bowles would change that but he hasnt and I think Coples suffers accordingly.  When he gets to put his hand in the dirt, he's a beast...but he rarely gets to do it for some reason. 

One of the more disappointing things IMO is Coples not being moved back to D-line full time.  Thought Bowles would move him for sure.  Agreed 100%, somebody is going to sign him and put him where he'll flourish.

At this point i feel theres no room for him on this team anymore. D line is filled to capacity and hes not a good LB in my opinion. Hes solid and is definitely a starter on most teams but i wouldnt sign him to another contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some players that seem to get the benefit of the doubt no matter how ineffective they are.  Who cares where he was drafted.  Who cares what position he's playing in.  It's now been two regimes and he still is not making enough quality or impact plays.  If he goes somewhere else and does it so be it.  

Been saying it for years.  Just watch the games.  He doesn't do much.

Put him at the position he should have been playing All along & I think there would have be a positive result... Coples IS NOT a LB... He IS a DL.

If that were true...it would have happened.  Clearly someone on the JETS disagrees. He was known at UNC to take downs off.  Its attitude IMO.

If that were true...it would have happened.  Clearly someone on the JETS disagrees. He was known at UNC to take downs off.  Its attitude IMO.

That could be part of it, the taking downs off part, but I still think he would be better suited playing on the D-line... either way I think we'll find out where he truly fits on this team by the end of the season.  I Like Bowles & I trust his decision.

I've continued to wait for Coples to break out.  I've been a supporter - but he simply a high impact guy.  He's not bad and anyone saying that is being biased because he was a first round pick...

But he's also not going to go to a 4-3 and all of sudden become a star.  He's a nice player but not all pro caliber.

Listen, I'm not gonna come on some message board & claim to know how Coples should be used after both Rex & now Bowles can't seem to find a fit for him. I've always said he disappears too much for my liking. When is the trading deadline over? 

Id love to get something for him to a team that can use him in the NFC. I'm sure there are teams who have lost starters to injury already. With Mauldin & Reilly on board & Douz doing his job, I'd love to trade him for some picks next year.

That could be part of it, the taking downs off part, but I still think he would be better suited playing on the D-line... either way I think we'll find out where he truly fits on this team by the end of the season.  I Like Bowles & I trust his decision.

agreed.   let's trade him for a pick or something if we have no room on the Dline. 

What's his natural position in the 4-3? Tackle or end?

What's his natural position in the 4-3? Tackle or end?

He's played both in college but he had his best year was playing DT.  He seems to get his best pressure up the middle on guards as opposed to battling with T's on the outside.

It's shame we cant find more ways to get him involved.  He's a big play, change momentum type of player.  He effectively ended MoJo Drew's career.  He can play and I think he can play at a really high level, just not as an OLB. 

He's not a good player, and never has been. Measurables like size, strength and speed are way overrated on football message boards. Not that Coples possesses those traits on the field, he's slow and plodding, but people were enamored with his measureables pre-draft and have wanted to believe for years that he's some beast that just needs to be released. 

He's played both in college but he has his best year was playing DT.  He seems to get his best pressure up the middle on guards as opposed to battling with T's on the outside.

It's shame we cant find more ways to get him involved.  He's a big play, change momentum type of player.  The effectively ended MoJo Drew's career.  He can play and I think he can play at a really high level, just not as an OLB. 

Yeah he's a DT. With Williams, Mo and Sheldon I dont see where he fits there though. He's not a DE.

He's played both in college but he had his best year was playing DT.  He seems to get his best pressure up the middle on guards as opposed to battling with T's on the outside.

It's shame we cant find more ways to get him involved.  He's a big play, change momentum type of player.  He effectively ended MoJo Drew's career.  He can play and I think he can play at a really high level, just not as an OLB. 

He can play at a really high level, but I don't think he ever will.  If he is lucky he will end up with a Calvin Pace career.

He's not a good player, and never has been. Measurables like size, strength and speed are way overrated on football message boards. Not that Coples possesses those traits on the field, he's slow and plodding, but people were enamored with his measureables pre-draft and have wanted to believe for years that he's some beast that just needs to be released. 

Disagree.  He wouldnt be asked to play OLB if he didnt have good feet and some speed.  He was out in good coverage on the first pick of the Colts game.  Did a great job of moving the TE of his route.  And he's got closing speed, which is why when he does make a play in the backfield, its usually a big play.  

His job is to set the edge.  He does the dirty work.  You're never going to see him make a lot of plays in that role.  The times he makes plays, is when he's allowed to line up over a guard with his hand in the dirt. 

Disagree.  He wouldnt be asked to play OLB if he didnt have good feet and some speed.  He was out in good coverage on the first pick of the Colts game.  Did a great job of moving the TE of his route.  And he's got closing speed, which is why when he does make a play in the backfield, its usually a big play.  

His job is to set the edge.  He does the dirty work.  You're never going to see him make a lot of plays in that role.  The times he makes plays, is when he's allowed to line up over a guard with his hand in the dirt. 

Sets the edge, you guys.

Yeah he's a DT. With Williams, Mo and Sheldon I dont see where he fits there though. He's not a DE.

I think so.  He doesnt fit here and you're right, he doesnt have room with those guys on the line.  I could see him being perfect in a Seahawks type attack defense.  What he's been asked to do here, just doesnt work. 

is there even much of a difference between a 4-3 end and a 3-4 backer these days?

Absolutely and even more so depending on the system.  How often do you see a 4-3 DE out in coverage or checking a TE at the LOS?   But besides that, its where they line up, how they line up and its all scheme dependent too.  Not every OLB is asked to just rush the passer, like a Ware, Suggs, Houston, Miller, etc.  Most of them are asked to drop into coverage, set the edge in the run game, jam receivers, etc.   You just dont see 4-3 DE's doing it unless they're just absolute freaks.  

Calvin Pace didnt have a Calvin Pace type career until he switched positions, no? 

Maybe, I just don't see him blowing up by a position change.  He seems adequate.  I think if he were "out of position" then we would see more flash plays and him getting blown out, but he just seems like a steady guy that doesn't get embarrassed.  He may have success as a 1-gap DT, but since he *can* play OLB I would think we would see more. 

He's actually a 6'6" tweener.  It's true he is more of a D lineman than an OLB but he has played a fair amount of downs with his hand on the ground and he's not explosive/fast enough/quick twitch enough to bend and he's not powerful enough to consistently put his guy on their asses. 

Don't get me wrong, he's a solid player.  If was drafted in the 3rd round that'd be great.

It actually coulda been worse, there were a lotta crappy players taken around his draft slot, like Melvin Ingram and Shea McClellan - some decent ones too like Chandler Jones (who we couldn't take b/c he's pure 4-3 DE).  I don't know how Dave Decastro has been at G for the Steelers after his rookie knee injury.  Tanny said he woulda been the pick if Coples were taken.

Archived