Diminishing role could impact Quinton Coples' future with Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think this guy ends up on a 4-3, play his natural position and flourishes.  He's just not playing where he should be and I was really hoping Bowles would change that but he hasnt and I think Coples suffers accordingly.  When he gets to put his hand in the dirt, he's a beast...but he rarely gets to do it for some reason. 

well from what fat ass Rex asked him to do also forced him to lose a lot of weight I'm sure he came in at that lighter weight this season so Coples will have to once again, in the off season, put on weight and muscle mass to do what you're suggesting. That will all depend on whether Bowles sees those same abilities and wants to take on the project or just push Coples out the door.

Bowles is being kind in his assessment of Coples. Certainly if the guy was as good a player as his athleticism says he should be he would be in multiple packages, the fact that he is not speaks volumes about how he uses his abilities.

I agree he's being used wrong and can do much better in other scenarios but only time will tell if the Jets want to keep him since they are pretty stacked on the D-Line

The excuses made for this guy sound eerily similar to the ones people made for Vernon Gholston. 

I don't think in his present state Coples is a very good football player but he's no where near as bad as Gholston. Gholston was the worst football player I have ever seen.

The excuses made for this guy sound eerily similar to the ones people made for Vernon Gholston. 

How so?? In Coples first 2 years he had 10 sacks Mo had 8 in his first 2.. Mo got 10 in year 3 when Sheldon was added.. No way is Coples in the same boat as the Ghost..

How so?? In Coples first 2 years he had 10 sacks Mo had 8 in his first 2.. Mo got 10 in year 3 when Sheldon was added.. No way is Coples in the same boat as the Ghost..

I didn't say he was. I said the excuses sounded similar. 

He is more Bryan Thomas than Gholston to me. A decent player that never lived up to his draft status. 

He's played both in college but he had his best year was playing DT.  He seems to get his best pressure up the middle on guards as opposed to battling with T's on the outside.

It's shame we cant find more ways to get him involved.  He's a big play, change momentum type of player.  He effectively ended MoJo Drew's career.  He can play and I think he can play at a really high level, just not as an OLB. 

This! Exactly! Most of his sacks came as DT in college. He needs to put his hand in the dirt. I think he filled in for Mo when he was out and did well. If they continue to play him at LB, we might as well trade him.

This! Exactly! Most of his sacks came as DT in college. He needs to put his hand in the dirt. I think he filled in for Mo when he was out and did well. If they continue to play him at LB, we might as well trade him.

That's what I was thinking. Not because they're playing him at LB, but because it's starting to look like they're phasing him out. Better to move him before the trading deadline this year, before his option salary kicks in, if that's what they're thinking. 

not surprised at all.  I think he is regressing.  I noticed in one of the games he was just engaging blockers and pushing on them. This wasn't at the point of attack trying to steer the runner to his help, or to get ready to disengage and make a play, just locking up and kinda sorta bull rushing but not really.  I'm not even sure what you call it

taking a play off maybe ?

Disagree.  He wouldnt be asked to play OLB if he didnt have good feet and some speed.  He was out in good coverage on the first pick of the Colts game.  Did a great job of moving the TE of his route.  And he's got closing speed, which is why when he does make a play in the backfield, its usually a big play.  

His job is to set the edge.  He does the dirty work.  You're never going to see him make a lot of plays in that role.  The times he makes plays, is when he's allowed to line up over a guard with his hand in the dirt. 

I don't want to burst the bubbles of these guys that hope he's done, but he was hurt last week, and they were running a 4-2-5 most of the game.

Regardless of position, Coples simply isn't a good football player at the NFL level.  He has played multiple roles under multiple coaches, and he's been subpar everywhere.  He can flash elite ability on occasion, but he goes for long stretches of unmotivated and below average play far too often.

Underachievers with a bad motor don't last long in this league.

Has anyone considered the possibility that if Coples really was better at playing with his hand in the dirt, that's where the last two defensive minded head coaches would have had him playing? Maybe he's just a JAG and that's that.

Id like to think Rex and Bowles know a little about defense. Agreed. 

I still think this guy ends up on a 4-3, play his natural position and flourishes.  He's just not playing where he should be and I was really hoping Bowles would change that but he hasnt and I think Coples suffers accordingly.  When he gets to put his hand in the dirt, he's a beast...but he rarely gets to do it for some reason. 

I don't think he is a bust. But I think his "flourishing" days might be behind him.

I don't think he is a bust. But I think his "flourishing" days might be behind him.

you make it sound like he's an old man.

Also people need to forget about what Bowles might have done with him since he came into camp at too light a weight to even be considered at a DL position. He excelled on the inside in college and from then on was moved around and basically ruined by previous coaches. If Bowles wants to change that it would once again involve a weight change in the offseason and its up to Bowles and Coples if they want to commit to that yet again

you make it sound like he's an old man.

Also people need to forget about what Bowles might have done with him since he came into camp at too light a weight to even be considered at a DL position. He excelled on the inside in college and from then on was moved around and basically ruined by previous coaches. If Bowles wants to change that it would once again involve a weight change in the offseason and its up to Bowles and Coples if they want to commit to that yet again

I'll explain. He's obviously NOT old. But he may be ruined because of Rex trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Do I think he's done? No. But he may be able to resurrect his career elsewhere and be serviceable. At the same time, I do not think as others do that he is a nasty DE/DT in waiting. He doesn't have the tude or motor. Never did.

I've been hoping that Coples would eventually convert his physical gifts into production. But he hasn't. And I've offered my opinion why in the past so I'll just say it simply: Q plays way too high, way too upright. He always has. And he hasn't fixed this issue. It's the reason he's always making tackles around the head and shoulders. He has an impressive wingspan, but relies on that too heavily. If he would only learn to bend his knees and use leverage he would be far more effective. But he's just too complacent. He's happy to be the player he is when he needs to strive to improve his techniques. He's not good enough to stay. Not on this defense. 

One of the more disappointing things IMO is Coples not being moved back to D-line full time.  Thought Bowles would move him for sure.  Agreed 100%, somebody is going to sign him and put him where he'll flourish.

We've been hearing these types of comments every year. I'm sure Bowles knows what he's doing. 

We've been hearing these types of comments every year. I'm sure Bowles knows what he's doing. 

I'm sure I've seen Quinton Coples play his best football at DT.  

How many times did we have to hear the Fitz haters say, "if he's so good, why did the Texans trade him?"

It's now clear he was the best QB on that roster.  It happens.

I'll explain. He's obviously NOT old. But he may be ruined because of Rex trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Do I think he's done? No. But he may be able to resurrect his career elsewhere and be serviceable. At the same time, I do not think as others do that he is a nasty DE/DT in waiting. He doesn't have the tude or motor. Never did.

yep I agree with you always questions about his motor and taking plays off

With  Sheldon coming back for the Skins game, there will be less need for Coples.  Our D line is stacked and has depth - even w/o Coples.  Time to trade him - his salary against the cap is a waste for his production, or lack of. Trade him NOW for a team desperate for D line help......scratching my head.....how about a 2nd rounder to the Giants.     

With  Sheldon coming back for the Skins game, there will be less need for Coples.  Our D line is stacked and has depth - even w/o Coples.  Time to trade him - his salary against the cap is a waste for his production, or lack of. Trade him NOW for a team desperate for D line help......scratching my head.....how about a 2nd rounder to the Giants.     

Agreed, November 4th is the NFL trade deadline for 2015. It all depends on teams losing players to injury who are in the playoff hunt. Coples is 75%er, rarely hustles for 60 minutes. Bowles has vision & has already seen how much Mauldin wants to contribute so your already seeing Mauldin steal his snaps. Reilly also. Not only does Bowles get more hustle he gets more speed on the field. 

You can already see the difference in this 2015 team on defense when the ball comes out they're like f*cking sharks swarming around the football & your instantly seeing guys looking for a head to take off. Obviously the Jets won't GIVE AWAY Coples, but if a team comes a calling I definitely see Mac listening. People keep talking about money but already you can see that Cro, Kerley & probably Coples are goners, that's a lot of money saved! Without hurting the team. 

It still amazes me that guys can get to this level with those characteristics. Just don't get it.

I can't understand those characteristics at any level. When I played, it was always all out, simply because I loved to play the game and was a competitive maniac always will be.

Archived