The College Football Game Day Thread

Maxman

This Jets are off this weekend. So who is watching college football today? Anyone going to Rutgers \ Michigan State?

Northwestern \ Michigan should be good. I like watching ESPN on line and just bouncing back and forth between all the games.

• 1 month later...

Went to Rutgers/Maryland yesterday. Rutgers blew a 21 point lead to a MD. team that was on an 8 game losing streak and had not until yesterday won a Big 10 game all season. But it was a lot more than that that led to this overdue housecleaning. Kind of a shame; NY and Nj can produce a lot of good players, but Rutgers doesn't appear to be in position to take advantage-

http://deadspin.com/reports-rutgers-is-cleaning-house-1745119435?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

• 1 month later...

NCAA has totally screwed the pooch with this schedule. Make it an 8 team playoffs, get it mostly done in December (Friday nights? Saturdays?) around the NFL, finishing up either New Year's Day or soon after. The New Year's Eve thing is moronic. And once and for all, fvck the bowls, which have always been totally pointless anyway. 

• 7 months later...

2016 opening Saturday: watching Houston vs Oklahoma. Houston so far staying with them in the first half. The Cougs have a really good team. The question in can they keep the Sooners from pulling away from them in the second half. A lot of teams can play with them for awhile. But not an entire 60. 

On 9/3/2016 at 10:09 PM, Lith said:

Rough day for the SEC, but a big day for the Dawgs.  Great return from injury for Nick Chubb.  222 yards and 2 TDs in a win against North Carolina, probably getting himself back in the Heisman discussion.

Nick Chubb is the man and would cream myself if ever ended up in Green and White.  You have to be happy about what you saw from Tarzan, I mean, Jacob Eason ;-).  Really wish he never visited the Gators and teased us like that because OMFG.  We suck again.  Like WTF????????????  We're the Florida Gators and we cant get a ******* QB to save our lives.  It's mind boggling.  Luke Del Rio throws like a teenage girl and runs like a 90 year old man.  Which really makes me wonder, how bad could Felipe Franks possibly be?  We once again, have no play makers on offense.  Sooner or later, we're going to have to learn that you need 5 start recruits.  You can get it done with just average players.  The reason Bama is Bama is because they're loaded. 

But hey! We have someone who can kick field goals finally and the Defense will be good again.

FML

I usually have the Gators to save me from the Jets.  It looks like this year I'm really going to need the Jets to not suck to save me from the Gators.

And really, just end this sh*t right now and let FSU and Bama duke it out.  I mean, what's the point of going through the motions? 

On 10/17/2015 at 10:37 AM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

LSU v Florida is going to be a great game. This could be Fournette's big statement game...among pretty much all his statement games.  Where you at Jif!? 

What is going to be great about it?  2 completely inept offenses going vs. 2 loaded D's?  It's going to set Football back 100 years.  Harris might be worse than Del Rio. 

At least you have Fournette.  All we have to be excited about is someone who can actually kick FG's.

Just saw the time stamp on the post, I take it this was prior to actually seeing these two teams embarrass themselves?

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Nick Chubb is the man and would cream myself if ever ended up in Green and White.  You have to be happy about what you saw from Tarzan, I mean, Jacob Eason ;-).  Really wish he never visited the Gators and teased us like that because OMFG.  We suck again.  Like WTF????????????  We're the Florida Gators and we cant get a ******* QB to save our lives.  It's mind boggling.  Luke Del Rio throws like a teenage girl and runs like a 90 year old man.  Which really makes me wonder, how bad could Felipe Franks possibly be?  We once again, have no play makers on offense.  Sooner or later, we're going to have to learn that you need 5 start recruits.  You can get it done with just average players.  The reason Bama is Bama is because they're loaded. 

But hey! We have someone who can kick field goals finally and the Defense will be good again.

FML

I usually have the Gators to save me from the Jets.  It looks like this year I'm really going to need the Jets to not suck to save me from the Gators.

And really, just end this sh*t right now and let FSU and Bama duke it out.  I mean, what's the point of going through the motions? 

Gators still scare me -- they always scare me.  Didn't see the game, but I know they let Umass hang around all game, but they will get better.  As will Tennessee.  The East will not be a cakewalk for the Dawgs. You are right, I am thrilled with what I saw out of Eason.  Curious to see how Kirby uses the two QBs going forward.  I am not a fan of Greyson Lambert, so I was very happy to see how much Eason played in the opener, and he was really the guy to lead us to victory.  Well, him and Chubb.

Will be interesting to see how the SEC plays out this year.  If week 1 is any indication, everyone looks beatable.  Except maybe Alabama.

As for your recruiting, I am hoping that Mark Richt can still help us out by getting more of those in-state recruits to head down to Coral Gables rather than Gainesville.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

What is going to be great about it?  2 completely inept offenses going vs. 2 loaded D's?  It's going to set Football back 100 years.  Harris might be worse than Del Rio. 

At least you have Fournette.  All we have to be excited about is someone who can actually kick FG's.

Just saw the time stamp on the post, I take it this was prior to actually seeing these two teams embarrass themselves?

Yep, unfortunately. How Les Miles keeps hanging onto his job, f*ck me. 

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Gators still scare me -- they always scare me.  Didn't see the game, but I know they let Umass hang around all game, but they will get better.  As will Tennessee.  The East will not be a cakewalk for the Dawgs. You are right, I am thrilled with what I saw out of Eason.  Curious to see how Kirby uses the two QBs going forward.  I am not a fan of Greyson Lambert, so I was very happy to see how much Eason played in the opener, and he was really the guy to lead us to victory.  Well, him and Chubb.

Will be interesting to see how the SEC plays out this year.  If week 1 is any indication, everyone looks beatable.  Except maybe Alabama.

As for your recruiting, I am hoping that Mark Richt can still help us out by getting more of those in-state recruits to head down to Coral Gables rather than Gainesville.

You know who Greyson Lambert is?  A more athletic Luke Del Rio.

I know I'm probably overreacting to week 1 and they were literally playing in a monsoon.  First games ares never a great indication of what the season holds.  But keeping UMass around till the 4th quarter at home is embarrassing.  Especially on a night where you're naming a field after a coach that would have had the stands empty at half time with a 43-0 scoreboard and you're back up QB playing the second half.

We're getting outclassed by FSU so bad, I'm afraid Richt might kills us.  The only thing we have going for us is the brand at this point and I'm not sure how long that can keep us relevant.  I have high hopes for McElwain but that was about as uninspiring of a victory you could ever imagine and they had 4, 5 star recruits in for a visit.

19 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Yep, unfortunately. How Les Miles keeps hanging onto his job, f*ck me. 

lol - dude, we let Umass hang around till the 4th quarter....at home.

You lost a sloppy game you should have won in Wisconsin.  

We suck worse.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Is it really that hard to carry the ball over the goal line and then drop it?  

Cost Clemson 7 in their game against Troy.  13-10 Clemson at the half.

A bunch of crazy close games today.  That Central Michigan play is a top 5 all time play in college.  Insane.

You guys snuck one out while all of a sudden Luke Del Rio looks legit.  Maybe it was the monsoon vs UMass idk.  But he looked like a different player today. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

A bunch of crazy close games today.  That Central Michigan play is a top 5 all time play in college.  Insane.

You guys snuck one out while all of a sudden Luke Del Rio looks legit.  Maybe it was the monsoon vs UMass idk.  But he looked like a different player today. 

Yeah, we had to sweat out our win today.  How our offensive line got completely dominated by Nichols is something I will never be able to figure out and Eason looked like a true freshman starting his first game.  Butt ugly win.

Hope Kirby figures it out before we start the SEC schedule next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Scouting the Scouts -- per NFL.com, Jets will have scouts at Louisville v Clemson and Tennessee v Georgia:

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000711467/article/bears-among-nfl-clubs-scouting-deshaun-watson-vs-louisville

Louisville at Clemson
8 clubs attending: Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers.
Details: Saturday, Oct. 1 at 8 p.m. ET (ABC)
Three top players: Louisville (QB Lamar Jackson, DB Josh Harvey-Clemons, DE Devonte Fields); Clemson (QB Deshaun Watson, WR Mike Williams, CB Cordrea Tankersley).
Matchup to watch: Clemson QB Deshaun Watson vs. Louisville DE Devonte Fields. With just two tackles for loss in four games, Fields hasn't made as many big plays as NFL scouts would have expected from a top-tier pass rusher. Saturday is a chance for Fields to serve notice on a big stage that he can be more disruptive. The opportunity should be there; Clemson's pass protection allowed nine QB hurries against Auburn. The challenge for Fields and any pass rusher in getting to Watson isn't just that he's athletic enough to break out of the pocket and outrun them for first downs. It's also that he's got the awareness to avoid a sack with a subtle step or two, and still make a good throw from the pocket. That's a big reason Watson has been sacked just three times in four games.

Tennessee at Georgia
11 clubs attending: Carolina Panthers, Los Angeles Rams, Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Chicago Bears, New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts.
Details: Saturday, Oct. 1 at 3:30 p.m. ET (CBS)
Three top players: Tennessee (RB Jalen Hurd, DE Derek Barnett, LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin); Georgia (RB Nick Chubb, S Dominick Sanders, RB Sony Michel).
Matchup to watch: Tennessee LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin vs. Georgia RB Sony Michel. With Chubb's status for the game looking questionable at best, it's looking more and more like Michel's chance to prove why he's one of college football's most gifted backups; more of a star-in-waiting than a second-teamer. Unlike the more powerful Chubb, Michel's game is more about speed and elusiveness. Reeves-Maybin is one of Tennessee's best open-field tacklers and, if healthy, could play a key role in containing Michel on the perimeter. Keep an eye on Reeves-Maybin's ability to wrap and finish tackles with a shoulder injury that forced him out of last week's game against Florida.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 6:58 PM, JiF said:

gators d looks awesome. i know uga isnt great this year and have a freshman qb but if we can hold the lead, this is a big win for mcelwain, del rio and company. 

17 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

gators d looks awesome. i know uga isnt great this year and have a freshman qb but if we can hold the lead, this is a big win for mcelwain, del rio and company. 

You are being charitable when you say we aren't great.  This is a bad football team.  Defense is playing pretty well, but the offense and special teams have been dreadful.  How many 3 and outs have we had followed by a 30 yard punt.  On the rare occasions when Eason has guys open, he misses them consistently, or does not even look there way.  Our O line cant run block or pass block.  Florida defense is great, but this is what our offense has looked like against just about any above average defense this season.  Totally inept.

I don't know which is more painful, watching this offense on Saturdays or the Jets on Sundays.

Archived