Things Breaking Well for Jets and Playoffs

JohnnyLV

Playoffs ? Playoffs ?? We're talking about Playoffs?

Why yes we are.

It is super early, only 5 games into the season but things are really going the Jets way in terms of playoff positioning. Buffalo winning was lucky and not great but we control their destiny in terms of the playoff race. 

NFC is beating up on the AFC and the divisions outside of us are already skewed heavily to one team outside of the AFC East. Plus we have  Pitt and SD tomorrow which puts the loser in an even bigger hole, Balt, Cleveland, all the teams in the Central, KC, are in gigantic holes already, Raiders do not look like much of a threat plus they play the NFC West along with San Diego. Miami is a mess and done.

Even just next week we have Arizona at Pitt, San Diego at GB, Cincy versus Buffalo.Denver/Cleveland

If we win against Wash next week we could easily be 2 games up in the WC, still only a game behind NE for the division. and an easy schedule until the last 3 weeks outside of the Pats.

Plus the way it is shaping up, 8-8 looks likely for a WC in the AFC. I do not remember a season where after 5 weeks you have so much definition already on most of the races, and so many teams really almost out of it with 1 win records.

Obviously we need to do our part, but we really have to lay a pterodactyl egg to miss the playoffs this year.

Flame away.

Health is the key

absolutely! Jets stay healthy anything is possible. Jets arrow is pointing up as we haven't even incorporated our entire offense because we haven't had everyone healthy at the same time. 

The offense will determine how many games we win, because I can't see many of the QBs we face over the last 12 games playing with any consistancy against our defense. It starts next Sunday vs Cousins. Brady & Eli will be the best QBs we face. The Jets own Tannyhill & we get him at home. Tyrod Taylor has gotten better but I see Bowles confusing him with blitzes. Bortles, Carr, Mariotta, (Mallett, Hoyer), who knows where Romo will be when we play Dallas (3 losses in a row, they might be out of it by then). I'd be devastated if we missed the playoffs based on our remaining schedule. It would have to be Fitzys fault.

Things are definitely looking better for us than a lot of teams in the AFC.  We should not be willing to concede the division to the Patriots based on how they're steamrolling teams.  We're built well to topple them.  Yes, even with weaker QB play.  The Fighting Andrew Lucks are showing that, with a few exceptions on a week to week basis, it's a 45-man game out there. 

But even if it comes down to the Wild Card for us, these are the teams in the hunt:

# 5 seed  Jets  3-1 (+ 40 net points)

# 6 seed  Bills 3-2 (+ 19)

---------------------------------------------

Steelers 2-2 (+ 21)

Chargers 2-2 (- 14)

Raiders 2-3 (- 17)

Browns 2-3 (- 14)

Titans 1-3 (+ 11)

And that's the end of the list.  We're battling a divisional team we face twice, a Steeler team missing their QB, a couple AFC West teams, the Browns and Titans.  Which 2 of those teams are knocking us out?

I am happy as anyone that this team is as good as it is.  We can compete well with teams with a good offense; we will struggle, however, against teams with a good defense.  In addition to not looking past this weekend, I wouldn't look past the Bills either.  I believe our D is better (secondary and scheme), but there D is stout and our offense is going to struggle; hopefully our D gets us past, but I wouldn't count them as 'easy'.

The Pats and the Bills are 4 games; I think we need to take 2 of them to contend for the playoffs.  Also, some of the teams that have struggled are likely going to right the ship; so I wouldn't count on 9 & 7 taking the wild card.

The standard response to every thread of this nature.  Because idiots on a message board talking about our playoff hopes will have a big impact on this game.  Why do people feel the need to say things like this?

It's called the jinxy cat.  That ****er has claws.

Things are definitely looking better for us than a lot of teams in the AFC.  We should not be willing to concede the division to the Patriots based on how they're steamrolling teams.  We're built well to topple them.  Yes, even with weaker QB play.  The Fighting Andrew Lucks are showing that, with a few exceptions on a week to week basis, it's a 45-man game out there. 

But even if it comes down to the Wild Card for us, these are the teams in the hunt:

# 5 seed  Jets  3-1 (+ 40 net points)

# 6 seed  Bills 3-2 (+ 19)

---------------------------------------------

Steelers 2-2 (+ 21)

Chargers 2-2 (- 14)

Raiders 2-3 (- 17)

Browns 2-3 (- 14)

Titans 1-3 (+ 11)

And that's the end of the list.  We're battling a divisional team we face twice, a Steeler team missing their QB, a couple AFC West teams, the Browns and Titans.  Which 2 of those teams are knocking us out?

Yes,  the Jets have a pretty easy schedule this season.

Cimini has a good beat on this (believe it or not). Jets should reach the halfway point at no worse than 5-3, which means splitting the next 4. I personally think they can go 3-1 and get to 6-2, but 2-2 to get to 5-3 is the lowest expectation given the teams.

Raiders are tricky at home, but a good defense can shut them down, like Denver did

The standard response to every thread of this nature.  Because idiots on a message board talking about our playoff hopes will have a big impact on this game.  Why do people feel the need to say things like this?

Because the second we lose a game or two people who think we're a lock for the playoffs in week six will turn into people think the season is over and we'll have to hear the same hyperbole in reverse.

The reality is, we were a 4 win team last year.  We shouldn't be thinking playoffs in week 5 of the season we're not good enough to think that way.  Let's win a few more games before we start these conversations is all I'm saying.

The reality is, we were a 4 win team last year.  We shouldn't be thinking playoffs in week 5 of the season we're not good enough to think that way.  Let's win a few more games before we start these conversations is all I'm saying.

I am just enjoying winning again.  the last time we were 3-1 was 2010.  seasons are quick but long, a lot can change btw now and December.  Just keep winning.

I hate to look ahead but I want to see how we play the Patriots.  If we lose but give them a tough time then I like our chances alot.  If we lose and get blown out then I won't be too optimistic.  Teams like the Patriots you have to be competitive with if you want to make and succeed in the playoffs.  

If we beat the Redskins and Patriots then look out rest of the league.

I hate to look ahead but I want to see how we play the Patriots.  If we lose but give them a tough time then I like our chances alot.  If we lose and get blown out then I won't be too optimistic.  Teams like the Patriots you have to be competitive with if you want to make and succeed in the playoffs.  

If we beat the Redskins and Patriots then look out rest of the league.

this is a big test for us this week and we'll learn even more about Bowles.  how he handles the bye is critical AND can he keep his team from peeking ahead to next week at NE.  I think we'll be ready and will play well but we'll see.

Because the second we lose a game or two people who think we're a lock for the playoffs in week six will turn into people think the season is over and we'll have to hear the same hyperbole in reverse.

That will happen whether threads like these happen or not. 

I guess.  Just don't see the need to sh*t on a thread because some people would prefer to wait to have the discussion.  Why not just avoid the thread?  Doesn't make sense to me.

absolutely! Jets stay healthy anything is possible. Jets arrow is pointing up as we haven't even incorporated our entire offense because we haven't had everyone healthy at the same time. 

The offense will determine how many games we win, because I can't see many of the QBs we face over the last 12 games playing with any consistancy against our defense. It starts next Sunday vs Cousins. Brady & Eli will be the best QBs we face. The Jets own Tannyhill & we get him at home. Tyrod Taylor has gotten better but I see Bowles confusing him with blitzes. Bortles, Carr, Mariotta, (Mallett, Hoyer), who knows where Romo will be when we play Dallas (3 losses in a row, they might be out of it by then). I'd be devastated if we missed the playoffs based on our remaining schedule. It would have to be Fitzys fault.

The Jets will have to clean up their D too, as far as scrambling QBs are concerned.  Taylor is a great runner. We saw that yesterday.  Bt yes, he will have trouble with our blitzes.  He may not even be standing for both Buffalo games.  Someone will catch up to him.

Why yes we are.

It is super early, only 5 games into the season but things are really going the Jets way in terms of playoff positioning. Buffalo winning was lucky and not great but we control their destiny in terms of the playoff race. 

NFC is beating up on the AFC and the divisions outside of us are already skewed heavily to one team outside of the AFC East. Plus we have  Pitt and SD tomorrow which puts the loser in an even bigger hole, Balt, Cleveland, all the teams in the Central, KC, are in gigantic holes already, Raiders do not look like much of a threat plus they play the NFC West along with San Diego. Miami is a mess and done.

Even just next week we have Arizona at Pitt, San Diego at GB, Cincy versus Buffalo.Denver/Cleveland

If we win against Wash next week we could easily be 2 games up in the WC, still only a game behind NE for the division. and an easy schedule until the last 3 weeks outside of the Pats.

Plus the way it is shaping up, 8-8 looks likely for a WC in the AFC. I do not remember a season where after 5 weeks you have so much definition already on most of the races, and so many teams really almost out of it with 1 win records.

Obviously we need to do our part, but we really have to lay a pterodactyl egg to miss the playoffs this year.

Flame away.

Didn't mean to quote myself but board software is not letting me just reply for some reason.

I realize the Jets still have a ton of work to do to make the playoffs, but my point was that 5 games into the season, there is very unusual clear delineation of the playoff teams at this point, at 3-1 our road is already much much easier due to the records of other teams than it would normally be at this point.

Love this. And I agree. Go NFC except when the Jets are involved.

The earlier thread about where JETS started at 3-1 historically is , IMO, more telling.

We made the playoffs 50 percent of the time.

That sounds right to me.  After 8-3 in 2008, im a kid who wont touch the hot stove again.:D

I think when you look around the league.  The better teams - the ones making a case as a legitimate contender...have offenses that can put up big numbers.

Unfortunately the Jets aren't one of them....They're not a bad team and rhere are a whole lot of bad teams in the NFL, so the Jets may very well get a wildcard, but without an offense capable of being explosive (even on occasion) they're not much of a threat to challenge for a super bowl...

I think when you look around the league.  The better teams - the ones making a case as a legitimate contender...have offenses that can put up big numbers.

Unfortunately the Jets aren't one of them....They're not a bad team and rhere are a whole lot of bad teams in the NFL, so the Jets may very well get a wildcard, but without an offense capable of being explosive (even on occasion) they're not much of a threat to challenge for a super bowl...

While I agree with that in principal (I stated earlier that we struggle against teams with a good Defense) at this point making into the playoffs would be a big plus.  Not to mention that we went to the AFC Championship game twice with just an average offense (although Sanchez probably had a stronger arm).  At this point we are likely out of the running for the #1 pick and possibly out of a top 5 pick.  So, a playoff 'run' would be good for several reasons:

1. It give the team (which has a lot of youth) some playoff experience - this is especially important as I see some veterans being replaced next year (Pace, Colon, etc)

2. If the team has success, it feeds the team buying into Bowles system (or continues to feed)

3. If we do need to bring in some veterans, having a playoff caliber team, or a playoff contender would help land them.

Since we aren't likely to finish with 6 wins or less (I hope not), just getting into the playoffs can really help the team mature and grow.

Watched a short clip of Boyles post game locker room speech.The guy sounds like a real HC not getting the players too far ahead of themselves, but still proud of whats been accomplished.

What a difference from Rex.

Wait till he beats the Pats he might even sky dive after that..:)

Why yes we are.

Flame away.

Anyone know when Stevan Ridley is due back for us ?  I like the backs we have now but I think he could make the combination that much better.

Archived