Skins coming to Bully the Jets

Jetman55

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54978/redskins-will-try-to-bully-jets-in-the-trenches-on-both-sides-of-ball

Redskins will try to bully Jets in the trenches on both sides of ball

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Highlighting two players who figure to have integral roles for the New York Jets when they face the Washington Redskins on Sunday:

Breno Giacomini, right tackle: He called the Redskins "one of the top defenses in the league," and it starts up front. These dudes are huge; they're the defensive version of the Hogs. Nose tackle Terrance Knighton is 354 pounds, left end Chris Baker is 325 and right end Jason Hatcher a svelte 299. Washington's base front is a 3-4, so Giacomini will see a lot of Baker and outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. He and Baker are tied for the team lead with 3.5 sacks apiece.

The Redskins have the lowest blitz percentage in the league (11.4 percent of dropbacks), but they're 11th in sack percentage. So what does that tell us? It tells us they generate pressure with a conventional, four-man rush. Their run defense is Jekyll-and-Hyde. After allowing only 78 rushing yards per game in the first four games (second in the league), they were gashed last week by the Atlanta Falcons (176 yards). The Falcons did it with finesse, not power, stretching the defense horizontally with zone runs. The Jets aren't a zone team, so they'll have to rely on power. They need a strong game from Giacomini, who packs a wallop when he's on his game.

David Harris, linebacker: He's not 100 percent, still feeling the effects of the strained quadriceps he brought home from London. Harris is vital to the defense, especially against a power-running offense like the Redskins. No revelation here: Washington will try to pound the rock. They have the second-highest rush percentage (44) in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Their production has dipped since Week 2, but they'll stick to it, trying to reduce the burden on quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Harris is a tone setter for the Jets. He also could be targeted in the passing game. Cousins likes to throw to change-of-pack back Chris Thompson, and we all know the Jets' linebackers aren't great in pass coverage. The Jets say Thompson reminds them of Darren Sproles, and that could be a problem. Harris and fellow inside 'backer Demario Davis could be in a heap of trouble if they're in single coverage against Thompson, who has 17 catches.

this is a game SOJ comes of flat and loses embarassingly. especially after the uptick in positive press this week. let's hope Bowles has truly changed the culture.

I think defensively we will be more than fine. Cousins doesn't scare me with or without D-Jax. Hopefully we can muster some points together and get out of town with a 4-1 record. 

I think defensively we will be more than fine. Cousins doesn't scare me with or without D-Jax. Hopefully we can muster some points together and get out of town with a 4-1 record. 

Outside of the Pats, there really isn't a game this year I won't be saying this (20 points is the most I expect this defense to give up)

But we have to score...If the 'skins shut down the running game - fitz in in trouble.  Can the Jets score 20 points?  That's my concern.

I would really like to see us adapt our gameplay and run it laterally, rather than smash our heads against a wall, but I can see us running it up the gut for 1yd all day long. 

Agree they will stack the box but they do so at their peril. Bmarsh can turn average passes into TDs

this is a game SOJ comes out flat and loses embarassingly. especially after the uptick in positive press this week. let's hope Bowles has truly changed the culture.

And especially because I'll be there...haha

He had the team come out like gang busters in London.  Hopefully 2 weeks of focus on the Redskins, they get out to another fast start.  Starting flat was an issue the first few games, definitely wasnt the case vs. Miami.  Hopefully the begins a trend. 

He had the team come out like gang busters in London.  Hopefully 2 weeks of focus on the Redskins, they get out to another fast start.  Starting flat was an issue the first few games, definitely wasnt the case vs. Miami.  Hopefully the begins a trend. 

would be encouraging to see the team finally got over its case of the bye week blues

You're going to the game?

I tend to agree.

Cousins has put up better numbers than one might realize, and he's taken care of the ball a little better than usual... but at the end of the day, I think he's going to make big mistakes. We just need to hope he makes more big mistakes than Deep Ball Fitzy.

Nice. You gonna go to the JN tailgate and act like a rockstar?

"I'm JiF mother****ers! In the flesh! Fatties, your man has arrived!!!!"

haha - that's the plan.  Join all the JN misfits at the tailgate.

Though I dont think my chick would appreciate me doing a cat call for all the fatties in the area, it's an option.

I tend to agree.

Cousins has put up better numbers than one might realize, and he's taken care of the ball a little better than usual... but at the end of the day, I think he's going to make big mistakes. We just need to hope he makes more big mistakes than Deep Ball Fitzy.

I think the pressure from the D line will make him prone to mistakes. 

Lol!! Good luck with that Redskins..... The Jets are the bullies of the NFL.

Try again.

I don't want us to be bullies.

Bullies curl up in a ball when the get knocked in the mouth. 

I want us to be the team that puts the bullies in their place.

Archived