What does a win next week say?

jetsfan719

No shlt, 6 games doesn't make a season.

Guess no one should watch the game.  5-1 or 4-2, same thing.  Wont have anything to do with how the season plays out, can't be relevant.  

Well there grumpy face, I was speaking to those who were referencing the idea that a win means we must right away be considered Super Bowl contenders.  5-1 is nice.  it certainly helps the cause of stacking chips and moving towards the goal of winning the division and making the playoffs.  But it doesn't suddenly mean we are Super Bowl contenders, nor does 4-2 mean we're doomed.  Cut your engines and cool your wings man. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there grumpy face, I was speaking to those who were referencing the idea that a win means we must right away be considered Super Bowl contenders.  5-1 is nice.  it certainly helps the cause of stacking chips and moving towards the goal of winning the division and making the playoffs.  But it doesn't suddenly mean we are Super Bowl contenders, nor does 4-2 mean we're doomed.  Cut your engines and cool your wings man. 

4-2 wouldn't mean we're doomed, but it would make the Patriot game at MetLife a must win, and we'd need some help from other teams.  5-1 puts us in control of our own destiny to win the division.  That's kind of big, even this early in the season. 

say no sh*t isn't any more grumpy than telling everyone who would be dancing in the street that 5-1 means nothing, pissing on their parade.  

Division games are as important as it gets with only 6, start there, winning inside the division is huge, no matter when it happens. 

Winning next week means they are super bowl contenders. 

Dare to dream? 

The Jets would be 5-1, leading the division, and coming off a road win against the previously undefeated defending Superbowl champs.

Of course we'd be Superbowl contenders.  We already are in my opinion.

Some people seem to be confusing being a contender with actually accomplishing something.  Being a contender is nothing but a person's opinion at a specific snapshot of the season.  It doesn't guarantee anything, and it doesn't really mean anything.

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic.  If you can't enjoy the ride, then what's the point?

Just to note, I think a victory next week would make the Jets contenders in alot of people's eyes, not only the fans.  Beating the Patriots in a season where many are wondering whether they will go 16-0 again certainly makes a statement and proves the team can beat anybody.

say no sh*t isn't any more grumpy than telling everyone who would be dancing in the street that 5-1 means nothing, pissing on their parade.  

Division games are as important as it gets with only 6, start there, winning inside the division is huge, no matter when it happens. 

It's a big game. I agree. But it doesn't make us Super Bowl contenders. That's all my point was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends how they win, if the Pats come out flat and play a vanilla game, then BB is just playing to understand how Bowles coaches, figure out the signals etc...  and I will be more interested in the second game

Rex won his first game and not many after that so I am with the 5-1 crowd, I will enjoy the win but nothing more

It depends how they win, if the Pats come out flat and play a vanilla game, then BB is just playing to understand how Bowles coaches, figure out the signals etc...  and I will be more interested in the second game

Rex won his first game and not many after that so I am with the 5-1 crowd, I will enjoy the win but nothing more

Rex started 3-2 against the pats the first five times we played. He then went 1-5 after that.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Winning next week means they are super bowl contenders. 

Dare to dream? 

Whoa Bit...  Maybe it gets us in the conversation but I would need to see us doing what the Pats do week in and week out every year.  Taking care of the teams they are "supposed" to beat.  Still and all, given where we started this offseason I think that being in the conversation is a huge step forward.

Also, teams don't tend to go from worst to first or near worst to first in one year.  I am sure there must have been one but I cannot remember who off hand.

Of course we'd be Superbowl contenders.  We already are in my opinion.

Some people seem to be confusing being a contender with actually accomplishing something.  Being a contender is nothing but a person's opinion at a specific snapshot of the season.  It doesn't guarantee anything, and it doesn't really mean anything.

Just to note, I think a victory next week would make the Jets contenders in alot of people's eyes, not only the fans.

"I could'a been a contender" (Marlin Brando to Rod Steiger in the cab)

Whoa Bit...  Maybe it gets us in the conversation but I would need to see us doing what the Pats do week in and week out every year.  Taking care of the teams they are "supposed" to beat.  Still and all, given where we started this offseason I think that being in the conversation is a huge step forward.

Also, teams don't tend to go from worst to first or near worst to first in one year.  I am sure there must have been one but I cannot remember who off hand.

this is hypothetical and depends upon the Jets beating the biggest cheaters in the history of organized sport, who are still cheating, in their home stadium. 

if they could pull that off, they really would be contenders. 

this is hypothetical and depends upon the Jets beating the biggest cheaters in the history of organized sport, who are still cheating, in their home stadium. 

Understood and I happen to agree with you.  This despite the recent somewhat successful campaign by supporters of the Patriots to downplay and completely minimize the significance of the cheating.  I still think that Brady is taking one for the team here.  The lower ball pressure was 100% about the correlation to lower rates of fumbling and 0% about what kind of ball that Brady prefers to throw.

Anyhow, worst to first doesn't really happen and so my reasonable ceiling for this year is for the Jets to be "that team" come the playoffs.  You know, the one that nobody wants any part of in the post season.  If things happen for us faster than that this year then obviously it is all gravy.

It would say a lot. if they win and the offense looks good, it says that maybe Fitz's arm strength won't be an issue.

If they win because the Jets defense dominated against that incredible offense, it says wow this defense wants to try and be all time great.

We will find out soon enough. :)

Do you think they are still cheating?

absolutely. They never stopped.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/09/11/new-england-headsets-pittsburgh-steelers-bill-belichick-mike-tomlin/72049514/

and why would they? They traded a 1st round pick for a SB victory. It was a slap on the wrist. 

Really?  LOL!!!  You know this happens all the time, right?  As a matter of fact it happened in Buffalo for two, three weeks straight.  Happened in Seattle.  In Indy...in Denver, Charlotte, etc...  it just doesn't get the press.  (a little surprised your such a sheep)....go drink some more haterade.  ;)  

Anyway, a division win is always great.  A win is always great.  How you end the season is important too.  Playoff contention games with meaning start around Thanksgiving time. 

Really?  LOL!!!  You know this happens all the time, right?  

Yeah garb you know what doesn't happen all the time? a QB with no athleticism going in rd 6 and becoming the best of all time.  My UPS guy is a better athlete than Tom Brady. 

Know what else doesn't happen? That greatest of all time QB repeatedly taking hometown friendly deals so he doesn't have to leave. 

the NFL execs were stomping on VHS tapes during spygate, what was on those tapes that was so bad they have to destroy it? 

http://national.suntimes.com/national-sports/7/72/1785435/roger-goodell-destroyed-spygate-evidence/

The whole thing is a pile of lies. I have no faith in the outcome of these games. It's not like WWE. it's not staged. But it is shady. Like Boxing. 

Yeah garb you know what doesn't happen all the time? a QB with no athleticism going in rd 6 and becoming the best of all time.  My UPS guy is a better athlete than Tom Brady. 

Know what else doesn't happen? That greatest of all time QB repeatedly taking hometown friendly deals so he doesn't have to leave. 

the NFL execs were stomping on VHS tapes during spygate, what was on those tapes that was so bad they have to destroy it? 

http://national.suntimes.com/national-sports/7/72/1785435/roger-goodell-destroyed-spygate-evidence/

The whole thing is a pile of lies. I have no faith in the outcome of these games. It's not like WWE. it's not staged. But it is shady. Like Boxing. 

This is a bit extreme. My goodness. Spygate happened eight years ago. The NFL runs the headsets. I cannot believe the NFL investigated stupid ball deflation vs. Edelman continuing to play in the SB when he was obviously concussed. Yet, no one says a damn word about it. That was the biggest act of deception. The rest is just BS as players still have to execute on the field. Edelman caught the winning TD vs. Seattle. 

WWE is staged? Stop it.

Love it...let's get the game thread started now...can't believe Brady was arguing about the opi call before the half

That really bothered me.  Screaming at the Ref has been a focal point thus far this season, and Brady always gets away with it.  

Just so I know before the game begins, is there any way the Patriots can win this game without cheating? And if not, what are the instances of cheating I should look out for? And as you say they are cheaters, how have they been cheating in 2015? Just curious.

I am certain they have not cheated in 2015.  Nothing for you to look out for.  Unfortunately for you, that perception will last forever given the allegations in Spygate and Deflategate and the perception by many that the 4 SB wins are tarnished.  

In golf, you cheat once, no one plays with you.  That type of thinking and ideology transcends all sports.

Let's not forget, last year with a much worse roster we went into new England and lost by two points...This can be done

You can't base the outcome of a game based on what happened in the past. The Patriots could easily blow the Jets completely out of Gillette Stadium. I don't think that will happen but it could. I hope the Jets defense rises in defense of unfortunate comments made by Sheldon Richardson who seems to forget that Rex Ryan is no longer around to back up his words with even dumber statements - and no results.

A win over the Patriots would be huge from a fan standpoint, but I am sure that to Todd Bowles it will mean that the Jets are 5-1 and have to get ready to play the Oakland Raiders. I love the guys level headedness which if it was Rex, the team would be sky high after the win and then flat as a pancake against Oakland and the Jags the following week as Rex took complete responsibility for the teams poor play.

I agree with Bowles. It says we are 5-1.  It does not exempt us from having to pay and win future games.  In the past, it might have been reason for Rex to beat his chest and crow for the remainder of the season.  Heck, he used to crow when they played the Pats close. But things have changed.

Archived