What does a win next week say?

jetsfan719

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have not played their best game yet, a full 4 quarters.  I was cautious regarding this team.... just a wait and see.  My pessimism and apathy is turning to optimism with this team.   If they do what they should against New England and feed Ivory... I have a feeling the Jets are going to play their best game of the season Sunday.  The Jets can put up 200+ rushing yards against them. Ivory will run over them like orange cones in the 4th quarter.

Watching this game tonight.. the Jets are winning next week. Revis on Edelman. Gronk gets shadowed by Gilcrest. Just have to account for Lewis out of the backfield. Marshall/Decker are too good for the Pats CBs, and Ivory is going to rip their front 7 apart.

If they play like they did in the 2nd half, they can play with anyone.  If they have 3 turnovers in a half like the first half, it won't be as good.

Why not? Because 5-1 means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Yes it's nice to be there if we do, but nobody is a SB contender at 5-1, just like it doesn't mean we're doomed if we're 4-2. Every week is one game, that's it. 5-1 clinches nothing. It guarantees nothing, and it certainly doesn't make us SB contenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. 

5-1 is the same as 4-2 and the same as 1-5. It means absolutely nothing.

In fact, the Patriots at 17-0 in 2007 weren't SB contenders either. The only week that mattered was week 20, the AFCCG. That's when they became SB contenders by clinching a guaranteed spot in the SB. 

I would love for the Jets to win, but I think the Pats are just too good at this point.  Maybe we can slow them down a lot with our D, but even their weak defense will likely be able to slow us down; if the game gets away, we will not be able to come back.  Just my opinion.

Ryan, somehow, always kept the Pats close (except for the one bad game); I hope Bowles has it in them.  If the D is really charged and starts out strong like Dallas did, and we can control the clock - maybe; it would be f'n great and line us up for a chance for the division if not a playoff spot, but I don't think it will happen.

49-19, 45-3, 37-16 and 31-14 were all scores of losses to the Pats during Rex's reign.

49-19, 45-3, 37-16 and 31-14 were all scores of losses to the Pats during Rex's reign.

Way to cherry pick :-) - Ryan was there 6 years, which would mean 12 games (plus the playoff game); last 4 games played were:

13-10 NE

30-27 NYJ (OT)

27-25 NE

17-16 NE

(last 2 decided by missed/blocked FGs)....

4 games, won by 9 points... 

it's too early to make any statements. it's like those players that celebrate after every play they make and the game's not even over. the jets could win this week and still miss the playoffs. this is a solid team, but not a dominant team. the pats on the other hand could lose sunday and will have better odds of making playoffs, superbowl, than the jets.

Contender for what? The 5-1 championship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shlt, 6 games doesn't make a season.

Guess no one should watch the game.  5-1 or 4-2, same thing.  Wont have anything to do with how the season plays out, can't be relevant.  

No shlt, 6 games doesn't make a season.

Guess no one should watch the game.  5-1 or 4-2, same thing.  Wont have anything to do with how the season plays out, can't be relevant.  

You forgot to mention the unimportant matter of a wild card bye or home field advantage.

As fans this is an exciting game for us because we are playing the Patriots who we all hate.  If we win the game all it means is we are 5-1 and 2-0 in the AFC East.  It is also Bowles first time against the Patriots so we want to see how he handles it. 

Every division game is important and being New England we don't want to be 2 games out of first place.  A loss hurts but a win only makes us 5-1.  Still a long season ahead. 

I'd say it means we're pretty ******* legit. The numbers say we're legit already, just have to prove it on the field now. No better test than New England because the Pats are probably the top team in the AFC, and I also love that it's against the Pats because **** them. I'm pumped, let's do this.

I don't get the "5-1 means nothing" logic. First of all, in a literal sense it DOES mean something. It means we're 5-1 instead of 4-2 with a 2-0 division record and a head to head victory over the Pats. This dramatically increases our chances of winning the division.

Second of all, it would obviously mean something relative to the confidence of the team, and would be revealing about how realistic our chances are going forward. Things change quickly in the NFL and obviously nothing is won in October -- but teams who win in January usually win throughout the year, and win big games against their division rivals to secure home-field advantage.

And frankly, leave the even-keeled "it's just another game" rhetoric to Bowles. That's his job. As far as I'm concerned f**k the Pats, lets beat these cheating dirtbags.

I don't get the "5-1 means nothing" logic. First of all, in a literal sense it DOES mean something. It means we're 5-1 instead of 4-2 with a 2-0 division record and a head to head victory over the Pats. This dramatically increases our chances of winning the division.

Second of all, it would obviously mean something relative to the confidence of the team, and would be revealing about how realistic our chances are going forward. Things change quickly in the NFL and obviously nothing is won in October -- but teams who win in January usually win throughout the year, and win big games against their division rivals to secure home-field advantage.

And frankly, leave the even-keeled "it's just another game" rhetoric to Bowles. That's his job. As far as I'm concerned f**k the Pats, lets beat these cheating dirtbags.

Agree 100%. The posters saying otherwise are just having fun typing out the "coach-speak" as if what we post on this website has any relevance to what happens on game day. Don't worry guys, I don't think any players will be coming on here to read comments and inflate their egos to the point that they don't take the game seriously. 

It's equivalent to the fact that the Jets are 4-0 when my 7 month old is wearing his Jets outfit this year (his Nana screwed it up and put him in the Yankees one for the Philly game :angry: ). It's nice to think it has an effect, and god knows he will be wearing it for as long as the Jets keep winning (will be a tight squeeze come December), but in the end it really doesn't matter. 

A win against the Pats doesn't "mean" anything but it will certainly change my expectations...I've seen this team look very impressive at times, against bad competition, yet unable to blow games open that they could/should...

I've also seen a very sloppy team that makes dumb mistakes, bad turnovers and often unable to take advantage of some fortunate situations, yet finds a way to win...

But what I mostly see is a very talented team, playing in a new offense, new defense with many new pieces...that if (big IF) it finds a way to put these pieces together can be very dangerous.

For me...a win would signal that this team is for real.  Right now my expectations are wildcard and out...A win - and I can start thinking legit playoff run...

It means we can beat a very good team. I honestly do not know how the heck the Pats have not been solved yet ... I mean cmon its been 13 years of this crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's really nothing to solve.  Tom Brady, unfortunately, is one of the best QB's of all times...As long as he's there they will continue to win.   I legitimately think the guy is a bad human being (no joking) but he's a great NFL QB.  

As long as you guys don't go nuts for 7 days leading up to the game like Rex and the Bills did. As long as you don't do *that* then you are already on better footing than Rex ever was. Although I wanted the Patriots to kill Colts by 50, after some reflection, I actually thought maybe not coming out totally insane and keeping your head was the better way to go. Against Buffalo, Brady wanted the death blow every play, and it cost them a couple Patriots TDs in that game.

If the Jets look at this as any other game, and just go out and play the game, you'll have a better chance than if you see this as some redemption game, or exercising the demons game, or changing of the guard game. I never understood why Rex used to put so much pressure on the players/team and by extension, the fans. Games are hard enough, but if you have to go out there and backup a week's worth of smack (not saying Jets have said anything), plus adding more fuel to the other team, I just don't see how that's a good thing.

The funny thing is that with the history of these two teams, not one thing needs to be said to motivate either team.

Are you making the claim that Brady and the Pats can score at will on who they want..and because Buffalo and Rex pissed him off - he decided to put up 14 more points?

And that if the Jets stay quiet Tom will be nicer to them?

Just a legitimate question - that's the way it read to me...

As long as you guys don't go nuts for 7 days leading up to the game like Rex and the Bills did. As long as you don't do *that* then you are already on better footing than Rex ever was. Although I wanted the Patriots to kill Colts by 50, after some reflection, I actually thought maybe not coming out totally insane and keeping your head was the better way to go. Against Buffalo, Brady wanted the death blow every play, and it cost them a couple Patriots TDs in that game.

If the Jets look at this as any other game, and just go out and play the game, you'll have a better chance than if you see this as some redemption game, or exercising the demons game, or changing of the guard game. I never understood why Rex used to put so much pressure on the players/team and by extension, the fans. Games are hard enough, but if you have to go out there and backup a week's worth of smack (not saying Jets have said anything), plus adding more fuel to the other team, I just don't see how that's a good thing.

The funny thing is that with the history of these two teams, not one thing needs to be said to motivate either team.

I agree. it worked early on for Rex in 2009/10 in both getting results and raising his profile, but it's completely unsustainable and sets you up for a really hard fall. It's extremely clear from the last few years he's completely incapable of learning from these mistakes which is why I was never worried about him going to Buffalo. He'll never be successful long term. Frankly, he just isn't smart enough.

Why not? Because 5-1 means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Yes it's nice to be there if we do, but nobody is a SB contender at 5-1, just like it doesn't mean we're doomed if we're 4-2. Every week is one game, that's it. 5-1 clinches nothing. It guarantees nothing, and it certainly doesn't make us SB contenders.

True. 

5-1 is the same as 4-2 and the same as 1-5. It means absolutely nothing.

In fact, the Patriots at 17-0 in 2007 weren't SB contenders either. The only week that mattered was week 20, the AFCCG. That's when they became SB contenders by clinching a guaranteed spot in the SB. 

Of course it means something.  It means both us and the Patriots would be 5-1 and it would put us in control of our own destiny to win the division.  It would also give us a healthy leg up in the overall AFC Standings.

At 4-2 chasing the 6-0 Patriots, we would need help from other teams beating the Pats (not at all preferable) and have little margin for error the rest of the way if we want to host a playoff game.  5-1 might not mean much to you, but avoiding falling to 4-2 is actually the bigger thing here.  5-1 gives us a nice shot at the division.  4-2 hurts our chances pretty significantly.

And as has already been said, beyond beating a divisional rival who has owned this division for 15 years, going on the road to beat a team that is + 80 in net points and the defending champs would prove we're a legit contender.  To date, most have been saying that we are impressive BUT haven't played anyone.  This would be a true signature win for the new regime and would do wonders for how the fan base shows up for home games. 

In every possible way this is a huge game.  Just because it's happening in Week 7 and not Week 17 doesn't take a whole lot away from its significance.

Of course it means something.  It means both us and the Patriots would be 5-1 and it would put us in control of our own destiny to win the division.  It would also give us a healthy leg up in the overall AFC Standings.

At 4-2 chasing the 6-0 Patriots, we would need help from other teams beating the Pats (not at all preferable) and have little margin for error the rest of the way if we want to host a playoff game.  5-1 might not mean much to you, but avoiding falling to 4-2 is actually the bigger thing here.  5-1 gives us a nice shot at the division.  4-2 hurts our chances pretty significantly.

And as has already been said, beyond beating a divisional rival who has owned this division for 15 years, going on the road to beat a team that is + 80 in net points and the defending champs would prove we're a legit contender.  To date, most have been saying that we are impressive BUT haven't played anyone.  This would be a true signature win for the new regime and would do wonders for how the fan base shows up for home games. 

In every possible way this is a huge game.  Just because it's happening in Week 7 and not Week 17 doesn't take a whole lot away from its significance.

Right.

I said the same in a different way in my post which you quoted.

Archived