Chris Ivory is on his last year of his contract. Talk of being best RB in league not good.

Jetsbb

forsett got 3 years $9M after a pro bowl season last year. he's 30 but has low mileage, Ivory is probably in the same range

Different type of back. I'm aware of the numbers he put up last season, but I don't think Forsett was viewed as a primary RB around the league, let alone a feature back. He's only had 20+ touches maybe a half dozen times in his career. With his age and lack of proving he could be a bell cow for a full season, he was just viewed as a really good backup or RBBC type.

He turned 30 this year. It's viewed as very different than turning 28. That, and Ivory will have been the Jets' lead back for 3 straight seasons compared to Forsett's 1.

As long as he stays healthy, he'll get a good amount more than 3 years $9M. If we wanted him at that money the way to do it was to extend him before this season, not after he has a breakout year (even if he did have that breakout year at 27).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different type of back. I'm aware of the numbers he put up last season, but I don't think Forsett was viewed as a primary RB around the league, let alone a feature back. He's only had 20+ touches maybe a half dozen times in his career. With his age and lack of proving he could be a bell cow for a full season, he was just viewed as a really good backup or RBBC type.

He turned 30 this year. It's viewed as very different than turning 28. That, and Ivory will have been the Jets' lead back for 3 straight seasons compared to Forsett's 1.

As long as he stays healthy, he'll get a good amount more than 3 years $9M. If we wanted him at that money the way to do it was to extend him before this season, not after he has a breakout year (even if he did have that breakout year at 27).

different type of back but still a lead RB. he had 235 carries and 44 rec last season, ivory hasn't ever cracked 200 touches in a season yet... obviously I see that changing this year but ivory hasn't really seen a ton of usage in his career

Ivory is not the best RB in the league. But yes, that 2mil salary will most likely reach 5-7 mil depending on his new deal as he'll most likely get an incentive laden deal with his style of play and injury history.

I could see a 3 year 21 easy, about 12 guarenteed.  Coples leaves, and his money goes there.

Ivory should be on this team. He will need to get paid.  If the Jets cannot agree on a contract for him, he will need to get franchised, and then Mo Wilkerson can walk if the Jets cannot agree on a contract with him.   Although Mo walking is not pleasant, at least the Jets have two other great DL's under contract.  Harrison is another story.  After Ivory, the RBs are grim, unless there are grand designs for Ridley.  Maybe that is why he was signed.

The Jets are a team that applied resources to players other than the QB and asks the QB to execute.  I like the strategy, actually.  I feels like a good Jets strategy-the fans like a good running game and great defense.  It gets cold and windy here.  It is NY football.  Maybe we have a QB one day that deserves a big contract, but I am not seeing that soon, barring a trade this offseason.   There is a reason we have the best DL in football-because we can afford it.  We are not paying a QB.

The party is somewhat over for this team in 2016.  Hopefully Cromartie can be made expendable, and the OL will restructure to extend their careers but get paid alot less.  After that, hopefully there is room to sign Ivory, Wilkerson, replacement LBs for Pace/Coples and maybe Davis (he looked like he had a good game).  We can draft replacement OL, developing lower round draft picks.  

I think Maccagnan and Bowles deserve alot of credit thus far for putting together a well-designed team.   There is a long way to go, but they are playing well.  

For the first time in a awhile I don't feel like the posters on this board can do a better job than the Jets' management.  They seem to have their eye on the literal ball and know what they are doing.  Other than the special teams.

I don't think Ivory is going to get 7 a year, Ivory is good but that's what guys like forte & foster get

We'll see, how he does all year.  I hope we keep him, but not at crazy money.  I like him, he plays hard, and notice you have never heard a peep from him about his money.

I don't think Ivory is going to get 7 a year, Ivory is good but that's what guys like forte & foster get

Ivory is finally being featured for the first time in his career?  Why do you think he doesn't deserve to be in the conversation with guys like Forte and Foster?  Ivory is proving everyone that he should have been a featured back for years now.

It might be easier to lock him up this season to a 3 or 4 yr contract instead of waiting till the end of the season.  I think we would pay more if we wait until after the season.

Ivory is finally being featured for the first time in his career?  Why do you think he doesn't deserve to be in the conversation with guys like Forte and Foster?  Ivory is proving everyone that he should have been a featured back for years now.

It might be easier to lock him up this season to a 3 or 4 yr contract instead of waiting till the end of the season.  I think we would pay more if we wait until after the season.

I'd rather wait and see, the shelf life for RB's is not very long even for the good ones

Bowles loves Ivory. I think they pay the dreaded man

He's having an all-pro'ish type season. Im surprised that I havent heard the usual injury prone statement or that running backs are a "dime a dozen". Oh, wait. Spoke too soon. lol. 

Ivory's a really good player. He's also had a history of being injury prone, still missed a game due to injury this season, and if this continues it will obviously be a career year for him.

DeMarco Murray who is essentially the same age as Ivory and also has had a history of being injury prone hit FA this past March (one year younger) after an unbelievable season that Ivory isn't likely to match.

Murray got 5/$40 with $21m guaranteed. Those are much more reasonable figures to throw around than Peterson's $14m per season, and I don't suspect Ivory will even get there given he'll essentially hit FA a little worse than Murray in each of those big picture categories I listed earlier.

And obviously as pointed out by others - if Ivory has the kind of season that it's even a discussion it's a pretty great problem to have. But I don't think 28 year old historically injury prone RB's who are coming off career seasons typically garner $14m per year contracts.

I wouldn't give ivory a big contract at 28. he's a very talented runner but RB's are replaceable and the jets are due to draft one soon

different type of back but still a lead RB. he had 235 carries and 44 rec last season, ivory hasn't ever cracked 200 touches in a season yet... obviously I see that changing this year but ivory hasn't really seen a ton of usage in his career

Different is all. I think Forsett took the best offer he could get. Ivory would be more in demand. Heading into the season I don't know how many predicted a repeat of that many touches. Seems the money he got said they thought he wasn't likely to start for much longer before fading into "RBBC / 3rd down back / spot starter" territory. Ivory, barring injury, will still be seen as a starter for potentially 3 more seasons - at age 28, 29, 30 - if he can learn to get out of bounds now & then, and not absorb literally every hit he possibly can. It was Forsett's first and only year as lead back. At a position like RB I think teams want to see it more than once, or want to see it for the first time before it's 30 year old RB contract time. 

Ivory will cost more. Don't think he'll be near $14M/year territory, but he'll be north of 3 years $9M. If nothing else, he'll be 2 years younger than Forsett was at FA time. In GMs' minds, that's 2 more years he'll be an under-30 RB. 

Whatever. He's having a killer season now and the team's 4-1. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

We have too many good players on this team. They're all going to want to get paid. I liked it better when Chaz Schilens was our #1 receiver, and we sucked. You knew no one was going to complain about money back then. 

you pay guys like Revis or a top tier qb or WR you don't pay megabucks for a RB this isn't the 90's

Love Ivory and the way he runs with reckless abandonment.  We haven't had a RB quite like him in some time.  However, that same style of running is what gets him hurt with relatively minor injuries all the time.  You can't give big money to a guy like that, because one day he's likely to suffer a more significant injury.  Let someone else hand him big dollars, take the 2017 compensatory pick and trust that Macc and company can find us the next Ivory in the draft.

ok do what the well run organizations do and let him walk and draft a capable replacement

Basically this.  Ivory will get paid by someone. I wish him luck except when he plays against us.

If we have spare money outside of whatever we pencil in for Wilkerson I would pour it into the offensive line.

The good news is  that RB has become so devalued in the NFL today that a 2nd round RB choice may be the same as a high first rounder a few years ago.

Pssst.  We may not be picking that high next year.

you pay guys like Revis or a top tier qb or WR you don't pay megabucks for a RB this isn't the 90's

I agree. But it's ridiculous that people are whining about a player of ours is having a great season.  

If he leaves next season for more money, so be it. Enjoy the ride right now.

Different is all. I think Forsett took the best offer he could get. Ivory would be more in demand. Heading into the season I don't know how many predicted a repeat of that many touches. Seems the money he got said they thought he wasn't likely to start for much longer before fading into "RBBC / 3rd down back / spot starter" territory. Ivory, barring injury, will still be seen as a starter for potentially 3 more seasons - at age 28, 29, 30 - if he can learn to get out of bounds now & then, and not absorb literally every hit he possibly can. It was Forsett's first and only year as lead back. At a position like RB I think teams want to see it more than once, or want to see it for the first time before it's 30 year old RB contract time. 

Ivory will cost more. Don't think he'll be near $14M/year territory, but he'll be north of 3 years $9M. If nothing else, he'll be 2 years younger than Forsett was at FA time. In GMs' minds, that's 2 more years he'll be an under-30 RB. 

Whatever. He's having a killer season now and the team's 4-1. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I think Ivory will be in more of a demand, but the Jets are a perfect fit for him; Because of our dependency on the run (and the way he runs angry) we will give him the rock more often.  Also, for a team without a top notch QB (what you need to be given the rock early), we have a decent chance of being pretty good over the next few years.  So, as a RB, you are likely to go to a team that will let you run a lot, have a strong OL, and an otherwise pretty good team.  Sure if someone offers 30% more money he might jump for it, but I think Ivory will want to go where he has the best chance to run a lot.  He saw what life was like on a team that didn't power run and rotated backs more, and I don't think he liked it that much.  Hopefully, this means we can sign him to a reasonable extension.

I agree this is a very premature topic, but if we're going to discuss this I think the biggest factor is not paying Ivory, but rather how this affects the Wilkerson situation.  We're going to have 2 dilemmas.  If we franchise Mo to either hang on to him or trade him, then Chris Ivory is hitting the open market and we will need to pay him top dollar.  Conversely if we franchise Ivory then Mo is hitting the market and we will lose him without any compensation.  If Ivory were putting in his standard fare 60-80 yds and maybe a TD per game, then we might be able to sign him to a reasonable contract before the end of the season.  But he's putting up top tier numbers.  It will be interesting to see how Mac plays this out. 

I think Ivory will be in more of a demand, but the Jets are a perfect fit for him; Because of our dependency on the run (and the way he runs angry) we will give him the rock more often.  Also, for a team without a top notch QB (what you need to be given the rock early), we have a decent chance of being pretty good over the next few years.  So, as a RB, you are likely to go to a team that will let you run a lot, have a strong OL, and an otherwise pretty good team.  Sure if someone offers 30% more money he might jump for it, but I think Ivory will want to go where he has the best chance to run a lot.  He saw what life was like on a team that didn't power run and rotated backs more, and I don't think he liked it that much.  Hopefully, this means we can sign him to a reasonable extension.

Nope, this is Ivory's last big chance at paydirt.  He's going to go where the money is, no matter if it's a little or a lot bigger.  He's not a HOF caliber guy, so it's not like he has to go somewhere that gives him the best chance to amass those final numbers to put him over the edge.  And Frankly if he goes somewhere that lightens his load he will probably last a couple more years and get paid a little more.  We can't count on the idea that we'll get a hometown discount for the guy. 

Nope, this is Ivory's last big chance at paydirt.  He's going to go where the money is, no matter if it's a little or a lot bigger.  He's not a HOF caliber guy, so it's not like he has to go somewhere that gives him the best chance to amass those final numbers to put him over the edge.  And Frankly if he goes somewhere that lightens his load he will probably last a couple more years and get paid a little more.  We can't count on the idea that we'll get a hometown discount for the guy. 

Not counting on a huge discount, but ever interview he comes across as a guy that just wants to play and get as many snaps as possible.  He doesn't even like to get pulled in the 4th Q; I seem to remember he wasn't happy when he wasn't the featured back and felt he needed a lot of touches per game to be effective.  I am not saying that he loves the Jets and Bowles and will stay no matter what; he just seems like a guy that is more worried about playing hard, playing well, and having fun; less of the 'I am the best and need the biggest contract possible'.  I could be wrong, but I hope not.

He's having an all-pro'ish type season. Im surprised that I havent heard the usual injury prone statement or that running backs are a "dime a dozen". Oh, wait. Spoke too soon. lol. 

Boy you took my comments way out of context there.

Archived