Just going to toss this one in here ...

jamesr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in rex's defense, I remember when the jets beat manning and brady on the road in the playoffs, he played a lot of mush rush and dropped a ton of guys into coverage for the most part, his blitz % was way down.

the bengals are for real and legit, and very balanced on offense.  maybe he saw something crazy like they were beating the blitz or something

And airing your grievances is public, i.e. the Sammy Watkins model seems to be the way to get results.

Not a recipe for long term success.

By the way is anyone around here still arguing that the whole bravado and talking things up is the way to go?  There were a boatload of people who were arguing that for the longest time when Rex was here.

in rex's defense, I remember when the jets beat manning and brady on the road in the playoffs, he played a lot of mush rush and dropped a ton of guys into coverage for the most part, his blitz % was way down.

the bengals are for real and legit, and very balanced on offense.  maybe he saw something crazy like they were beating the blitz or something

Yeah, and after that, Beli and Brady adapted their offense into what it is now... which neutralizes the pass rush, keeps Brady upright, and they used it to eat Rex alive quite a bit after that playoff loss.

And airing your grievances is public, i.e. the Sammy Watkins model seems to be the way to get results.

By the way is anyone around here still arguing that the whole bravado and talking things up is the way to go?  There were a boatload of people who were arguing that for the longest time when Rex was here.

2 weeks. 2 players airing grievances.

They're on their way... Rex has lost more locker rooms than he has motivated. 

We were coming off of Mangini though.

I think there are many different ways to win, when Rex was talking we were usually winning.  the act was toned down in recent years.  Talking doesn't win or lose a game.

Happy to see this as  Jets fan, but this is a Mario issue, not a Rex issue. Rex is a good defensive coach. Mario is a head case and doing the one thing you NEVER do as a player. 

He happens to be a head coach. His defensive skill set (which I think is over rated) is not why he was hired. He has a DC for that.

he sucks at 60 percent of what a HC should be doing.

If Rex and the personnel from the #4 defense in the league is going to let Eli Manning and Andy Dalton go up and down the field on them, then what good is Rex Ryan?

It's a bit early for this told ya so stick.

They're 3-3 with two of those losses coming against what look to be clearly the two best teams in the AFC. I never really seen the hype with the Bills though, I don't think Ryan's under huge pressure to make the playoffs this season. We should be finishing ahead of them. 

It's a bit early for this told ya so stick.

They're 3-3 with two of those losses coming against what look to be clearly the two best teams in the AFC. I never really seen the hype with the Bills though, I don't think Ryan's under huge pressure to make the playoffs this season. We should be finishing ahead of them. 

He should be under pressure to make the playoffs, the Bills were 9-7 last year got Mccoy and are built to win now.  No one and mean no one had the Jets ahead of the Bills pre season.

Total Defense:  Jets 1st, Bills 17th

Pass Defense: Jets 2nd, Bills 22nd

Run Defense: Jets 3rd, Bills 5th

Turnovers created:  Jets 15, Bills 10

Rushing offense: Jets 1st, Bills 7th

Thanks Idzik!

Can you say "defensive guru"?  I knew that ya could.

Great stats, Beerfish.  Thanks.

They're 3-3 with two of those losses coming against what look to be clearly the two best teams in the AFC.

They went 9-7 last year.  How is what they're doing anything other than a step down from Marrone? 

It's become very clear that older, veteran coaches tend to have their way with Rex Ryan, and this year has been no exception.  Tom Couglin, Bill Belichick and Marvin Lewis know exactly what to expect from Rex.  Marvin's Bengals destroyed the Rex-led Jets 49-9 two years ago and then beat them up this week.  Coughlin told his players in this year's Giants-Bills game to expect Rex's team to "beat themselves with penalties", and that's exactly what happened.  And Belichick improved to 10-4 against Rex, with Buffalo setting a franchise record for pass yards allowed.

If Rex cannot find a way to beat top teams every once in a while with an elite defensive unit, he's run out of excuses.  But as always, they'll thump their chests over beating Jacksonville next weekend, before losing to Miami coming out of the bye.  It's oh so predictable.

The article in question regarding what Coughlin said about the Bills:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/tom_coughlin_reportedly_told_giants_players_buffalo_bills_would_beat_themselves.html

Tom Coughlin reportedly told Giants that Bills would beat themselves with penalties

Orchard Park, N.Y. — Tom Coughlin had an idea of what to expect coming into Ralph Wilson Stadium to play the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

He had played against a Rex Ryan team before, and he saw what the New England Patriots did to the Bills two weeks earlier in a 40-32 win. That's why, according to Dan Graziano of ESPN, Coughlin told his players the Bills would beat themselves with penalties. Sure enough, the Bills committed 17 penalties for 135 yards on their way to a 24-10 loss Sunday.

The Giants had 11 penalties of their own, but the Bills' penalties proved more costly. Not only did Buffalo have two penalties that negated touchdowns, but it was also called for four 15-yard penalties. Defensive end Jerry Hughes was flagged for two personal fouls.

They went 9-7 last year.  How is what they're doing anything other than a step down from Marrone? 

It's become very clear that older, veteran coaches tend to have their way with Rex Ryan, and this year has been no exception.  Tom Couglin, Bill Belichick and Marvin Lewis know exactly what to expect from Rex.  Marvin's Bengals destroyed the Rex-led Jets 49-9 two years ago and then beat them up this week.  Coughlin told his players in this year's Giants-Bills game to expect Rex's team to "beat themselves with penalties", and that's exactly what happened.  And Belichick improved to 10-4 against Rex, with Buffalo setting a franchise record for pass yards allowed.

If Rex cannot find a way to beat top teams every once in a while with an elite defensive unit, he's run out of excuses.  But as always, they'll thump their chests over beating Jacksonville next weekend, before losing to Miami coming out of the bye.  It's oh so predictable.

I don't think any team with Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel should be under too much pressure to make the playoffs, what I'm saying is I don't think he'll lose his job if he doesn't. 

It's far too early to rule them out anyways, especially in the AFC.

They're 3-3 and the teams that have beaten them have a combined record of 14-2. I'm not saying Rex is doing a good job but it's too early to start writing his obituary. Our defensive stats might not look as pretty when we're done with the Bengals and Patriots.

I do like Rex and I get that it's very unpopular not to bash him at every chance but there's a lot of football to be played.

I don't think any team with Tyrod Taylor/EJ Manuel should be under too much pressure to make the playoffs, what I'm saying is I don't think he'll lose his job if he doesn't. 

It's far too early to rule them out anyways, especially in the AFC.

They're 3-3 and the teams that have beaten them have a combined record of 14-2. I'm not saying Rex is doing a good job but it's too early to start writing his obituary. Our defensive stats might not look as pretty when we're done with the Bengals and Patriots.

I do like Rex and I get that it's very unpopular not to bash him at every chance but there's a lot of football to be played.

Irish, do you realize how many excuses you just listed that Rex has a direct responsibility for?  Rex brought in Tyrod Taylor.  That was HIS GUY.  Of course there's pressure to make the playoffs when you go 9-7 the year before then handpick your starting QB.  Tyrod got hurt and he had EJ Manuel, essentially the incumbent starter, waiting as the backup.  Not every Head Coach walks into that kind of situation. 

And if he isn't going to at least be COMPETITIVE against the Bengals and Patriots....what good is he?  He talked a big game about the Bills defense being better this year than last year, and they've gone in the complete opposite direction.  Not to mention they've been losing games thanks to penalties as well.  Who is to blame for that?  The QB again?

Irish, do you realize how many excuses you just listed that Rex has a direct responsibility for?  Rex brought in Tyrod Taylor.  That was HIS GUY.  Of course there's pressure to make the playoffs when you go 9-7 the year before then handpick your starting QB.  Tyrod got hurt and he had EJ Manuel, essentially the incumbent starter, waiting as the backup.  Not every Head Coach walks into that kind of situation. 

And if he isn't going to at least be COMPETITIVE against the Bengals and Patriots....what good is he?  He talked a big game about the Bills defense being better this year than last year, and they've gone in the complete opposite direction.  Not to mention they've been losing games thanks to penalties as well.  Who is to blame for that?  The QB again?

which QBs were available?  you act like he had his choice of 10different quality starters.

they were competitive against NE.

which QBs were available?  you act like he had his choice of 10different quality starters.

they were competitive against NE.

I'll grant you this:  The Bills trading up for Watkins the year before (in a stellar WR class, no less), thus forfeiting the ability to draft a QB in 2015, was not Rex's fault.  And yes, the QB market was quite thin. 

But Irish Jet was trying to state that the team should not be considered a playoff contender with Taylor/Manuel at QB.  Not true at all.  They went 9-7 last year with a combination of EJ Manuel and a one-foot-in-retirement Kyle Orton.  No one should be able to excuse Rex with the "He doesn't have a QB!" argument any more. 

And no, they weren't competitive with NE.  The Patriots controlled that game throughout and the Bills made it look closer than it was by putting up points late in a game that was already basically over.  Their # 4 ranked defense from 2014 gave up a franchise record for passing yards that day.  That's not being "competitive".  Especially when you do it in front of your home crowd.

Archived