Onto Oakland.

nj meadowlands

Enough of this Patriots sh*t.  The 3rd and 17 kept me up long enough.  Time to try and turn the page.

Anyone heading out to California for this? I will be in Vegas that weekend and tempted to jump over.

This will be a very tough game and a good litmus test for Jets, coming off a tough loss to their biggest rivals, and playing in a stadium where they have not had much success historically.  Derek Carr seems like he's getting better each week, and Amari Cooper is a flat out stud (probably the first time this year where we can say we know where Revis will be all day).

Let's hope everyone who was banged up yesterday (especially Mangold, Pryor, Skrine) are able to get out there next week.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Jets go into Oakland and run away with this one.  Yes, the Raiders are a much better team, a good team - one of the better ones in the AFC...

But I think you'll see the Jets first complete game, take an early lead and not look back.  Cooper will be shut down by Revis and Carr will have a tough time against an aggressive Bowles defense.

Bowles strikes me as the type that will be hard to beat coming off a loss.  The key will be not coming out sluggish in a west coast game.  It's ok if we trail at halftime given the way we've been playing in the 2nd half, but it cannot be the 17-7 type of deficit.  Latavius Murray is too dangerous a runner to let them get up early.

Does it feel to anyone else (it does to me) that we play the Raiders a lot?  It feels like almost every season we play them (and I remember playing them twice at least once).  I know everything is on a schedule where the distribution is even but it really feels like somehow we play them more than other non-division teams.

Does it feel to anyone else (it does to me) that we play the Raiders a lot?  It feels like almost every season we play them (and I remember playing them twice at least once).  I know everything is on a schedule where the distribution is even but it really feels like somehow we play them more than other non-division teams.

We've finished 3rd or last a lot recently, and so have they (obviously).  And part of the composition of the schedule is that you play the same place finisher from 2 of the 3 other divisions in the conference.  So that's why we see them a lot.

Bowles strikes me as the type that will be hard to beat coming off a loss.  The key will be not coming out sluggish in a west coast game.  It's ok if we trail at halftime given the way we've been playing in the 2nd half, but it cannot be the 17-7 type of deficit.  Latavius Murray is too dangerous a runner to let them get up early.

I hope you're right.  But we always have problems out there.  I hate playing Oakland.

I hope you're right.  But we always have problems out there.  I hate playing Oakland.

Indeed.  But Bowles has been bucking trends of late for the most part.  We were supposed to lose that Redskins game but emphatically won instead.  I'm not sure if that will happen here (winning by a big margin) but I'm confident we'll get the W.  The Raiders have faced elite defenses twice this year, Cincy and Denver, and they lost 33-13 and 16-10.  If we also hold them to 13 or less we win the game.

Indeed.  But Bowles has been bucking trends of late for the most part.  We were supposed to lose that Redskins game but emphatically won instead.  I'm not sure if that will happen here (winning by a big margin) but I'm confident we'll get the W.  The Raiders have faced elite defenses twice this year, Cincy and Denver, and they lost 33-13 and 16-10.  If we also hold them to 13 or less we win the game.

I love Bowles so far.  I'd love to destroy Oakland.  Hated them since the 60s.

On a positive note, remember Hall's huge 50+ yarder against the raiders in '01?  I never screamed so loud.

I love Bowles so far.  I'd love to destroy Oakland.  Hated them since the 60s.

On a positive note, remember Hall's huge 50+ yarder against the raiders in '01?  I never screamed so loud.

It seems like every time we beat the Raiders it's an awesome feeling and every time we lose it's a frustrating, should-have-had-that type of loss that shatters our season's chances.  The Favre loss sticks out in '08 as much as that John Hall game.

We'll get to see if this Revis is still the 'Revis'.   I really think if we take Cooper away we'll win without a big problem.

Agreed. Crabtree is a nice player, but take away Cooper, and our run D contains Murray, and there's reason our offense can't put up 24-27 points and win this game decisively.

We'll get to see if this Revis is still the 'Revis'.   I really think if we take Cooper away we'll win without a big problem.

Take away Cooper and get up on them early so that Latavius doesn't run over us.  Murray is a really underrated back because he's in Oakland.  He's a 6-3, 225 lbs load who also has the speed to take it to the outside.  In short, he's a "worst nightmare" type of runner for our defense.  Think Ryan Mathews, who went for over 100 yards against us and also added 20 receiving yards.

patrick petersen and joe haden have not been able to stop cooper, revis will have trouble as cooper is gifted at running routes and i expect he will be put into

motion quite a bit, and the asshats who thought he couldnt catch a jumpball needs to look at SD catch

Take away Cooper and get up on them early so that Latavius doesn't run over us.  Murray is a really underrated back because he's in Oakland.  He's a 6-3, 225 lbs load who also has the speed to take it to the outside.  In short, he's a "worst nightmare" type of runner for our defense.  Think Ryan Mathews, who went for over 100 yards against us and also added 20 receiving yards.

I'm not worried about Murray, the Eagles killed us with the RB in the flat, Murray seems like more of a between the tackles runner

It depends on if they have a let down

they are young so it's possible, but they have a dynamic young QB/WR tandem that can put up points in a flash and a defense that defends the pass pretty well. They have problems defending TE though so I'd like to see Cumberland more involved 

the Jets playing the Raiders away are historically bad. 

15-7-1 all time 

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-york-jets/teamvsteam?opp=23&ha=A

I pointed out a similar phenomenon before the Eagles game and everyone called it a coincidence. 

Ignore these trends at your own peril. 

I feel like the jets have had problems playing any team out west 

Just like Belichick does, you take away what they do best. Stop the run, 3rd & long, Revis on Cooper. He'll get his catches but it won't be enough.

Who's going to stop Marshall/Decker/Kerley? Goes both ways. Carr is a good young QB, a HUGE step down from Brady who knows where everyone is & ALWAYS gets the matchups he wants.

Most certainly not a game to take lightly.  I agree with JetsFan80 that Bowles doesn't seem like a guy who takes any opponent lightly, and I could definitely see him being lethal coming off a loss.  The cross country trip and our history in Oakland, as others have pointed out, is problematic.  

I said a few weeks ago that I thought the Washington and Oakland games were "must wins", given that a probable loss in New England was mixed in between the two.  While a loss in Oakland would not nuke our season, it would be a big blow.  Conversely, sitting at 5-2 and returning home to face JAX and BUF would bode very well for any postseason prospects we might have.

Archived