Hate to Admit it but Brady on Montana's Level

Charlie Brown

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I could criticize anyone for picking Brady over Montana as he is in the discussion and it's an opinion, but give me Montana every day of the week over anyone else. 

You ever see Namath in college with 2 good legs?? He would have been amazing with today's rules..

Not to mention the league is completely different and has literally changed rules to help Mr. Brady.

That and cheating.  Cheating helps.

ask QBs of the 60s and 70s if they changed rules to help the guys in the 80s.  that was the cry when marino smashed all those records.  Rules change, the great ones adapt.

ask QBs of the 60s and 70s if they changed rules to help the guys in the 80s.  that was the cry when marino smashed all those records.  Rules change, the great ones adapt.

Cool, now ask those same guys what they think about todays rules.  lol

Cool, now ask those same guys what they think about todays rules.  lol

every previous generation will complain about the current one.  it's been that way since the beginning of time.

He's ARod. Great player, nefarious methods (probably unneeded), manufactured persona to hide major personality flaws, zero accountability = will never have the respect that a Montana gets.

Peyton is ARod, great #s guy, folds in big spots.  Brady is like Jeter would be on steroids w/ incredible #s and big play in big games winning championships.

Very true but that on BB not the players..

Tom Brady purposely had his locker room boys deflate footballs.  He's a cheater.  He and all the other players did not suddenly tell the coach not to given them any ill gotten info.  No, they are all to blame and should all be painted with the same brush.

Tom Brady purposely had his locker room boys deflate footballs.  He's a cheater.  He and all the other players did not suddenly tell the coach not to given them any ill gotten info.  No, they are all to blame and should all be painted with the same brush.

yep and he's really been struggling since they decided to monitor the levels of footballs.  that was the most overblown story in the history of sports, such an inconsequential act but people act like that is why he is so great.  Mind boggling stuff.

the most overblown "controversy" I have ever seen. a witch hunt from the start.

Overblown?  LOL  Tampering with in game equipment against express rules in a surreptitious way by staff of a team at the direction of the staring Qb is overblown?

Where do you draw the line for 'overblown'?  Is tampering with team head sets over blown or is that bad?  Can I move the goal posts on one end of the field? 

So you wouldn't take Brady as the Jet QB??LOL

Overblown?  LOL  Tampering with in game equipment against express rules in a surreptitious way by staff of a team at the direction of the staring Qb is overblown?

Where do you draw the line for 'overblown'?  Is tampering with team head sets over blown or is that bad?  Can I move the goal posts on one end of the field? 

a slight underinflation of a football is not a big deal which was why the fine was $25k.  some like they overinflated, some under.  who cares?  did you se him in the SB w/ a properly inflated ball? have you seen him this season?

so you admit SF tampering w/ headsets was wrong so why don't you bash them for "cheating" and knock Joe down a peg?

You don't get it. 

one of us does not get it, that person is not me.  I can't stand NE and Brady but I can appreciate greatness.  Year after year after year, doesn't matter who is around him he gives his teams a chance to compete for championships.  the NE franchise was a sinking ship when he took over and he turned them into a dynasty.  BB would be a DC somewhere today if not for Brady.

one of us does not get it, that person is not me.  I can't stand NE and Brady but I can appreciate greatness.  Year after year after year, doesn't matter who is around him he gives his teams a chance to compete for championships.  the NE franchise was a sinking ship when he took over and he turned them into a dynasty.  BB would be a DC somewhere today if not for Brady.

The "compiler" comment was directed at a specific poster. 

Get over yourself. Brady can't carry Montana's jock. 

I still think Montana was the better QB, mainly because the rules back then were nowhere near as skewed in favor of the offense as they are now. 

That being said, as much as I hate admitting it, you can't deny that Brady is a great player. 

Once you talk top 2-4, whats it really matter.  Brady is in that discussion.  Montana, Brady etc...    Any sane JETS fan should admit that.  

Yep..we had 6 opportunities to draft him and we took Chad.

I still think Montana was the better QB, mainly because the rules back then were nowhere near as skewed in favor of the offense as they are now. 

That being said, as much as I hate admitting it, you can't deny that Brady is a great player. 

do we not take into account that rules were changed to help offenses in that decade and that the Niners were one of the first to run the QB friendly west coast offense?

again, I have no issue at all w/ anyone saying Joe is #1.  I think Brady is 1 but you can't go wrong w/ either.

I would take Brady over Montana every day of the week..

Today's rules or 80s rules?

80's rules.  Joe.  He was tougher, he went up against some all time defenses, those Bears and Giants of the 80's, even the Eagles and the Vikings back then.  Brady has never taken a pounding like what Joe took back then, and I don't know that he could.  In the 80's you could not just duck down, you would be rediculed for it, remember Jim "Chris" Everitt?

But man, Brady is really good right now, and with the protection the league gives, he has lasted so much longer than Joe.

Once you talk top 2-4, whats it really matter.  Brady is in that discussion.  Montana, Brady etc...    Any sane JETS fan should admit that.  

Yep..we had 6 opportunities to draft him and we took Chad.

the league had 6 chances too.  it goes back to the BP/BB feud.  it cost us Brady and if BB stayed and drafted Brady how the opinions of those 2 would be different here and in Foxboro.

do we not take into account that rules were changed to help offenses in that decade and that the Niners were one of the first to run the QB friendly west coast offense?

again, I have no issue at all w/ anyone saying Joe is #1.  I think Brady is 1 but you can't go wrong w/ either.

That's cool, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Yours just happens to be wrong. 

Tom Brady accounted for 99.7% of his team's offense last sunday. He was also their leading rusher. 

He's either the greatst QB of all time, or, well, you know. 

But either way I feel completely justified cancelling the NFL Sunday ticket. I find it hard to be entertained by this entire league anymore. 

the league had 6 chances too.  it goes back to the BP/BB feud.  it cost us Brady and if BB stayed and drafted Brady how the opinions of those 2 would be different here and in Foxboro.

If the Jets ever got caught cheating the NFL would have stripped us of the titles and contracted us out of the league. 

Today's rules or 80s rules?

80's rules.  Joe.  He was tougher, he went up against some all time defenses, those Bears and Giants of the 80's, even the Eagles and the Vikings back then.  Brady has never taken a pounding like what Joe took back then, and I don't know that he could.  In the 80's you could not just duck down, you would be rediculed for it, remember Jim "Chris" Everitt?

But man, Brady is really good right now, and with the protection the league gives, he has lasted so much longer than Joe.

I don't understand how anyone can say he was tougher.  you guys just don't realize how tough Brady is.

QBs didn't duck down in the 80s? sometimes we may remember things a certain way but it's not reality.  10-20 years from now people will say how tough Brady was and how soft the "modern" QBs are. 

:15 sec mark, 8:30 mark, 12:10 mark, 14:40 mark

Check out this site Montana admitted his linemen used to spray their Jerseys with silicon..  http://yourteamcheats.com/SF

There are hundreds of players who did stuff.  The ball thing, I'm just so sick of it.

How much stickum did Biletnikoff use?  Namath has so much alcohol on his breath, he'd try to get the other D-Lineman drunk by breathing on them.  Some dude on the Raiders wrapped his for arm in a cast for like 2 years to use as a weapon.  Shoot, the gloves the WR use today making catching the ball much easier than it was 20 years ago.

Everyone looks for an edge. 

If the Jets ever got caught cheating the NFL would have stripped us of the titles and contracted us out of the league. 

we know the Jets have never looked to gain an edge by bending rules.  we always play by the rules, it's the other teams that cheat:lol:

I don't understand how anyone can say he was tougher.  you guys just don't realize how tough Brady is.

QBs didn't duck down in the 80s? sometimes we may remember things a certain way but it's not reality.  10-20 years from now people will say how tough Brady was and how soft the "modern" QBs are. 

:15 sec mark, 8:30 mark, 12:10 mark, 14:40 mark

I'll give Brady this, he does not seem to get as rattled as he did a few years ago when he gets hit.  But don't compare the beating they took in the 70s and  80s vs now.  Maybe Brady could have hung in there, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective at 37 is he is now.  

I'll give Brady this, he does not seem to get as rattled as he did a few years ago when he gets hit.  But don't compare the beating they took in the 70s and  80s vs now.  Maybe Brady could have hung in there, but he wouldn't be nearly as effective at 37 is he is now.  

QBs get down to preserve their bodies, it's been that way as long as I have been watching football(early 80s).  all players are tough, all QBs are extremely tough, you don't play as many games as he has w/o being incredibly tough.

Not to degree in which the rules favor the offense now. Not even close. Defenders were allowed much more contact with receivers back then.

Also they didn't baby QBS like they do now. Brady has never taken the kind of shots that Montana took.  Leonard Marshall practically crippled the guy. 

Archived