Hate to Admit it but Brady on Montana's Level

Charlie Brown

do we not take into account that rules were changed to help offenses in that decade and that the Niners were one of the first to run the QB friendly west coast offense?

again, I have no issue at all w/ anyone saying Joe is #1.  I think Brady is 1 but you can't go wrong w/ either.

Joe was drafted in the 3rd rd in 1979 after the rule changes he became the starter in 1981.. That year and 1983 are the only 2 years he made all 16 games.. That's probably why Vinny had more td's and passing yards.. Although Joe wished he had Vinny's arm but not his brain..:D

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the league had 6 chances too.  it goes back to the BP/BB feud.  it cost us Brady and if BB stayed and drafted Brady how the opinions of those 2 would be different here and in Foxboro.

I dont care about the 6 chances etc... the HOF is FULL of undrafted players.

Its just one of those things.  I dont see a connection to parcells. 

Not to degree in which the rules favor the offense now. Not even close. Defenders were allowed much more contact with receivers back then.

Also they didn't baby QBS like they do now. Brady has never taken the kind of shots that Montana took.  Leonard Marshall practically crippled the guy. 

I already posted a harder hit than that Marshall hit.  to suggest he isn't hit hard despite playing against bigger, stronger, faster players is false.  Brady has taken so many shots where I thought he'd be hurt(where I have seen other QBs get badly hurt) and gotten right back up.

remember this hit?

227190130.jpg

I don't understand how anyone can say he was tougher.  you guys just don't realize how tough Brady is.

QBs didn't duck down in the 80s? sometimes we may remember things a certain way but it's not reality.  10-20 years from now people will say how tough Brady was and how soft the "modern" QBs are. 

:15 sec mark, 8:30 mark, 12:10 mark, 14:40 mark

In every one of those examples Montana had no where to go with the ball and couldn't escape. Hell, in the 14:40 one he scrambles and minimizes the loss of yardage. 

That is not what I am talking about. Watch Mo's sack from Sunday. If Brady simply stepped forward and to his right Mo would have run right past him. Aaron Rodgers does this 5 times a game. Brady just dropped like he was getting ready to blow him. 

I dont care about the 6 chances etc... the HOF is FULL of undrafted players.

Its just one of those things.  I dont see a connection to parcells. 

BB wanted to get away from BP, BB was supposed to be our next HC when BP resigned.   By contract he was elevated to HC, BP kept him in the dark even though he knew he was stepping down.  if BB is our HC he has the same staff in place, we don't have the extra 1st rd pick(and probably don't trade Key) so we don't take Chad and likely take Brady later w/ the same staff that liked him in NE.

Fair enough. Sorry. Kidding it is. LOL

:)

I'd love to see the 2014 Patriots vs. the 1985 Bears. Would be insane!!! 

What Era rules are they playing by? 80s or today's?

I say this all the time, and I stand by:

Today's players are faster and stronger, but the players back then were much tougher.

In every one of those examples Montana had no where to go with the ball and couldn't escape. Hell, in the 14:40 one he scrambles and minimizes the loss of yardage. 

That is not what I am talking about. Watch Mo's sack from Sunday. If Brady simply stepped forward and to his right Mo would have run right past him. Aaron Rodgers does this 5 times a game. Brady just dropped like he was getting ready to blow him. 

are you saying Brady doesn't avoid sacks?

Tom Brady accounted for 99.7% of his team's offense last sunday. He was also their leading rusher. 

He's either the greatst QB of all time, or, well, you know. 

But either way I feel completely justified cancelling the NFL Sunday ticket. I find it hard to be entertained by this entire league anymore. 

Dude, you are so negative.

BB wanted to get away from BP, BB was supposed to be our next HC when BP resigned.   By contract he was elevated to HC, BP kept him in the dark even though he knew he was stepping down.  if BB is our HC he has the same staff in place, we don't have the extra 1st rd pick(and probably don't trade Key) so we don't take Chad and likely take Brady later w/ the same staff that liked him in NE.

The Tuna should have left after 1999 maybe BB would have stayed??

The Tuna should have left after 1999 maybe Brady would have stayed??

you mean BB?

he did leave after 1999 but he knew he was leaving and kept his assistants in the dark.  he at least owed it to BB who he knew wanted to become a HC again.  if he would have would BB have been looking for another job?  I doubt it.

you mean BB?

he did leave after 1999 but he knew he was leaving and kept his assistants in the dark.  he at least owed it to BB who he knew wanted to become a HC again.  if he would have would BB have been looking for another job?  I doubt it.

Yep I meant BB..LOL 

Bill Polian is on record stating the Colts had Brady as a top pick.  BB got lucky with Brady that simple.

Bill Polian is on record stating the Colts had Brady as a top pick.  BB got lucky with Brady that simple.

he says that 15 years later, I have hard time believing that. 

of course he got lucky but he listened to his people who wanted to take him, remember he was drafting him to develop into a backup so it wasn't like he thought he'd even start let alone become possibly the best of all time.

I wish we could have ten years of a QB like Montana or Brady. Both fantastic.  But I think Montana was much easier to like.  Im not sure anyone other than Pat fans like Brady.  They might respect his play but he is very hard to like if he is not playing for your team. 

People like Montana now b/c that stuff softens over time but in his playing days he wasn't well liked by non Niner fans.  he made a lot of people Niner fans(just as Brady makes a lot of people Pats fans)  but outside of Niner fans everyone hated that grin b/c they knew he was going to kill you.  Eventually after Brady retires he will become more appreciated.

Archived